• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking Poles

shmeesa

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has done the Camino without poles. I'm not a fan & would rather not use them (doing camino in august/sept) I have done 10 days in Torres del Paine without them with a heavier pack over hilly terrain... But its less than a 1/3 of the distance. Just after people's experiences. Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Camino is almost entirely on good-quality trails (often paved) and balance / stability isn't an issue. If you don't like poles, you'll be fine. Where the poles help most is on the hills, especially descents and muddy sections (on the off-chance it rains in Spain). But many thousands of people do it without poles every year without any apparent problems.

Personally, I couldn't walk it without poles - my body is too beaten up for my knees / hips to make it without support. But I've also been using poles for 25 years and have come to rely upon them. If this were a more rugged trail, I would suggest you use them but on the Camino it is very optional.

No I don't use them any more, did on my first camino, a bit but they just seem to get in the way. On my second CF I didn't use them at all walked both times in mainly June if that's any help.

Hence Con Palos was meant to be Con Polos ( with poles ) but misspelt my forum name should be Sin Polos now?

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No I don't use them any more, did on my first camino, a bit but they just seem to get in the way. On my second CF I didn't use them at all walked both times in mainly June if that's any help.

Hence Con Palos was meant to be Con Polos ( with poles ) but misspelt my forum name should be Sin Polos now?

Buen Camino
On much of the CF in 2011 & 13 it seemed to me that more people were carrying poles than using them.

The Camino is almost entirely on good-quality trails (often paved) and balance / stability isn't an issue. If you don't like poles, you'll be fine. Where the poles help most is on the hills, especially descents and muddy sections (on the off-chance it rains in Spain). But many thousands of people do it without poles every year without any apparent problems.

Personally, I couldn't walk it without poles - my body is too beaten up for my knees / hips to make it without support. But I've also been using poles for 25 years and have come to rely upon them. If this were a more rugged trail, I would suggest you use them but on the Camino it is very optional.

I was given a pole by a German lady on my first Camino. It helped me with balance. I had a bad episode of Vertigo on a layover with the Airline I worked for once and it seems to be with me occasionally even today-10 years later. I find that I need them if I'm walking on an uneven path and want to do it quickly. Just like when I ski - I don't use them much at all on the green/blue trails, but on a black with bumps I need them to find the edges.

I was hiking in the 3 Sisters region of the Jemison Valley in the Blue Mountains of Australia and I passed a young hiker who asked me, "Have ye lost yer skis?!" hahaha

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I really need to add that I use them frequently for "Dog Defense" here at home. Not a bad idea for the Camino either. (both 2 legged and 4 legged)

I've found on long distances with a light pack the trekking poles really reduce back, shoulder, and knee fatigue at the end of the day. I never really needed them, but I feel 10 times better at the end of the day with them. I invested in a pair of Black Diamond carbon Z’s. They are amazingly light 295 g for the pair, and they quickly fold down to stow away in the back pocket of my pack. I’m 6’2 and the 130cm poles are a perfect fit. Highly recommended! I also wrapped gaffers tape around the logos on the poles, it’s a handy stash of tape for repairs and it covers the “I’m a $150 pair of poles” logos. I recommend the same tactic with expensive DSLR gear.

I was wondering if anyone has done the Camino without poles. I'm not a fan & would rather not use them (doing camino in august/sept) I have done 10 days in Torres del Paine without them with a heavier pack over hilly terrain... But its less than a 1/3 of the distance. Just after people's experiences.
Of course people have walked without poles! And as @paul.ferris observes, many people carry them but don't use them, which seems a bit of a waste. Some that do use them wonder how it would be that anyone would want to forego the benefits of pole use, but accept that this is a choice people make!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did my camino last year!! and used the walking poles almost every day and all day!, I notice that the days I used them at the end of the day no knee pain, no back pain... so I decide to use almost every day! you can do the camino without the walking poles but I can imagine going down hill to molinaseca, or uphill to el Acebo without them!

I did my camino last year!! and used the walking poles almost every day and all day!, I notice that the days I used them at the end of the day no knee pain, no back pain... so I decide to use almost every day! you can do the camino without the walking poles but I can imagine going down hill to molinaseca, or uphill to el Acebo without them!

I also found they helped avoid knee pain. Sometimes on the downhill we don't take as much care in "placing" our feet and when the ligaments are fatigued it's easy to blow out a knee. I saw that happen on the down hill most of the time. Also, I use a stretchy, arthritis glove. They are light weight, keep my hands from swelling and they are fingerless so easy to leave on all day. They keep me from getting a blister between my index finger and thumb from the poles. Just an idea if any of you have had the sore base of the thumb from poles.

Of course people have walked without poles! And as @paul.ferris observes, many people carry them but don't use them, which seems a bit of a waste. Some of that do use them wonder how it would be that anyone would want to forego the benefits of pole use, but accept that this is a choice people make!
Nobody should think that they need to buy poles to walk the Camino. Poles can be useful, some people need them, but most of us get along fine without them.
And if you become injured or for some other reason want to use poles they are readily available either left behind at albergues or very reasonably priced along The Way.

I have a hip problem which I thought would be an issue. Walking with poles ensured I engaged my core muscles whilst walking and my hip didn't give me one iota of a problem the whole 700+ kms. I swear by them. Know how to use them properly though. I saw so many people using them badly to a point where they were more a hindrance than anything.

Personal choice.

But.....This is just an observation, from someone who could not have made it through day 1 without them. ..

60 to 70% people don't know how to use them....

Like the guy who walked helping people adjust their packs, I feel like showing the pole 'danglers' how to actually use the poles rather than just transport the things to Santiago on their hands!

because of injury I had to learn fast how to best use them to help me. And I found them invaluable. I use them every step of the way. I reckon they take 5 to 10 kg off my legs every step.

Not used well, or just dangling from the hands, they are a pointless additional weight.

But if you don't feel a benefit from their use, maybe because you are very strong and fit anyway, then don't take them.

Thanks all for your advice/info. Guess I should have just asked about the quality of the roads... Oh well. But thanks all the same.

Quality of the roads- Varried. In Galacia there is a lot of slate/shale rock and when it is wet or dry it is slippery. Many places stones are mixed with dirt/sand. There is water here and there. When going through a wet spot/mud they are invaluable. I don't use them when on a portion of road or in the city, but truly I felt like they created a little bit of room around me if need be. ie, dogs

I bought my pair of poles in the last moment, totally collapsible ones they were too, and did not regret bringing them.
The times when they have prevented me from falling when my knees hurt or my legs were too stiff, are numerous..
I love when people brag that they need no walking poles, as in fact I thought I wouldn´t myself.
But in fact they saved my trip entirely.
A young Italian walker I met had encountered problems after two weeks and was given 2 simple sticks by a local man. He found them helpful to remedy his problems and let him continue, and he was 30 years my senior, so age and surface need not have anyhing to do with using poles....
My first aid kit however, I hardly used any of it except for sticking plasters, and I brought just in case as well....

Last edited:
I've found on long distances with a light pack the trekking poles really reduce back, shoulder, and knee fatigue at the end of the day. I never really needed them, but I feel 10 times better at the end of the day with them. I invested in a pair of Black Diamond carbon Z’s. They are amazingly light 295 g for the pair, and they quickly fold down to stow away in the back pocket of my pack. I’m 6’2 and the 130cm poles are a perfect fit. Highly recommended! I also wrapped gaffers tape around the logos on the poles, it’s a handy stash of tape for repairs and it covers the “I’m a $150 pair of poles” logos. I recommend the same tactic with expensive DSLR gear.

Love my poles......tried not using them one day and felt the weight of my pack.....with them my body has a more fluid movement and for me they also reduce my body stress at the end of the day......I tend to use rubber stoppers most of the time....hate the click clack sound when people walk up behind me so I am conscious of not doing that to others and I also have tape around the as it make them easily recognisable at coffee breaks in a bin full of poles.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Right, I agree - once you use them, you are obliged not to make too much noise.
I have developed a technique of changing rubber stubs on the fly:
In town, rubbers on, keep in back pockets, back on gravel and rocks, rubbers off.....
I used the Leki Micro stick Vatio Ti, collapse into 38 cm, very much like the Black Diamond Z poles.
Upside is I can keep them inside my Osprey Kestrel pack when I fly.....
As I sometime walk in the dusk period, I have reflective tape round the poles too....
Best of traveling mates, saved my knees and my journey...

Last edited:
Leave the poles at home. you certainly do not need them - just a distraction to the other wakers (click/clack). Something to loose on the way, a pain on the plane and dead weight. But then i am not agreat fan of the :)

Rythem! When we walk long distances, we tend vary our speed, to obtain a good average speed you will need a stick or a pole,
Now if you have only one, after a while your other arm is.... So you start swapping, and more problems, so two is recommended..
Absolute right you have to know how to us them and adjust them.
Stopping back and neck pain, when we walk distances after a while we tend to bend forward, poles stop this. Act as a spring for your knee if you us them right. Brainstorming for the usefulness even defence, stretching you back muscles etc, etc,
But again if you do not want them fair enough. The easiest way of learning to use them is with Nordic walk, tracking needs more sofisticated training. Good luck

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Leave the poles at home. you certainly do not need them - just a distraction to the other wakers (click/clack). Something to loose on the way, a pain on the plane and dead weight. But then i am not agreat fan of the :)

Without my pole I would have fallen so many times that I would have had to give up during each single pilgrimage, but then, I am clumsy.
SY

Without my poles I would not have made it past Day 1.

Saved my Back, my Achilles, takes weight off my legs.

I'm sorry, but I cannot understand why anyone would not use poles, and can only assume those who do not like poles are not aware of how to use them well ;)

Bit like preferring a car without power steering.....

Or a bicycle without gears maybe. ...

Remember the joke/truth about why a Rolls Royce used to have a crank handle in the boot, even when it was supposed to be the most perfect vehicle.... it was there just in case !!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Don't get me wrong, they do have a use - had one for a time after I broke my foot before one walk. But after loosing a number of them i feel whatever benefit they give me now really doesn't outweigh the nuisance of carrying them on the Camino. I only carry a light bag, don't walk any large distance and get a cheap flight from UK with carry on luggage only.

@niels hee andersen , absoulutly, you know it, thanks.
@Patch, no argues, you think you are right, so no need for discutions and that is indeed respectfull.
I did like you mentioning, the event when you broke your foot !!!
BTW, if you had a good spoon, would you ever need a Fork o Knife ?.?
I would have my salad with my spoon, no doubt hits.
Please forgive my humor, it is just what it is, sense of humour. Patch, I newer liked or wore flower power shirts, I just can not see myself every in them, but trust me have nothing against them what's more I bought two of the this week end in sundaymarket "restro" for my next Camino!!! My fiancée was laughing, when I said the time had arrive to leave my wardrobe! My most respect, and kindest Saludos to all, in favour of humour or against.

But after loosing a number of them i feel whatever benefit they give me now really doesn't outweigh the nuisance of carrying them on the Camino.
@Patch, I cannot help but puzzle over why your personal inability to keep track of your personal property should form the basis of a recommendation to others not to use a device that clearly has so many benefits. I hesitate to use the term loser here, but clearly your absent-mindedness is not an affliction that everyone suffers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pepin - Yep, the only time I ever broke a bone was arseing around in my garden/yard with my children - about 2 months before I started a walk in the Pyrnees. Whats even funnier was that when doing this walk I was demonstrating to my son the film with the blind man in the china shop with his walking stick and I managed to fall and badly strain the other foot :)
Doug - no recommendation intended just my preference and explanation, I am far to inexperienced to take on that mantle..........

Doug - no recommendation intended just my preference and explanation, I am far to inexperienced to take on that mantle
Without debating the truth of your self assessment, this clearly sounds like a quite specific recommendation:
Leave the poles at home. you certainly do not need them
Leaving them at home (or not even purchasing them in the first place) is clearly an option, but many of the justifications offered so far are matters that would be addressed by carrying a couple of relatively cheap rubber tips, and proper pole use.

I would really like to think that I don't need an assistive device to walk. Just today I went for a three mile hike with my grand daughter. Not to look like an old biddy, I left my trekking poles in the car despite the gain of about 800 feet. Stupid. About half way through the hike I was looking for a downed limb to use. Found one and was very, very glad I did because now, at home, I am able to walk without pain. Must learn to not give in to vanity -- my new mantra.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have been following this post with interest as I'm new to using poles. I don't think it's an age thing, I have found them invaluable when on a ascent or descent but not yet convinced on level walking. Having said that I've not done any training yet with a full pack, so my opinion could very well change.

The bottom line is, as a newbie to poles I wouldn't be without them.

I am 10 days from leaving for a short part of the camino. From Astorga to th Muxia.

I have obsessed over poles or no poles. I am not wanting to invest in a $150 set of poles, would consider a $50 investment on a cheap pair on Amazon. my question- those photos of stalls on the side of the road selling walking sticks... would I foind one of those between Astorga and Sarria? that seems to be the elevated bits.

not to mention, whether or not American Airlines will let em carry them on- I am taking a 28L bag, so cant fit them in .
I know its a personal choice...but I like the idea of a locally made walking stick :)

Astorga is a big town, you can find pretty much anything there! Buen Camino! SY

I had a hard time finding any hiking equipment until I got to Burgos. Maybe someone else can speak to this. Some of the home made / wooden ones are or can be heavy.

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has done the Camino without poles. I'm not a fan & would rather not use them (doing camino in august/sept) I have done 10 days in Torres del Paine without them with a heavier pack over hilly terrain... But its less than a 1/3 of the distance. Just after people's experiences. Thanks
I used poles and would never go without them. I had NO ankle, knee or hip pain with them, and I had an ACL ligament operation on one knee. But please please learn how to use them before you go, well before. Months before. Practice and practice. It takes a while to get used to them-- it is not "natural", but a learned skill. If you check out Youtube there are plenty of video options. They also let me take lighter weight shoes. I hiked in sport shoes and never had an ankle turn. If you buy poles right before you go and never practice with them, you won't use them or won't use them properly. It is a skill. You have to find what works for you, just like shoes and socks. Be sure to take duct tape wrapped around one in case one of your collapsible poles collapses permanently. I fixed it with tape on the second day and left the poles in Spain when I flew out.

@Branden, I assume you would fly in to Madrid, right? Depending where you stay, I would recommend "El Corte ingles" similar to good old Sears, or alternatively the French chain "decathlon" they even have their own brand. My latest poles are German brand Leki and did spend around 57€ for a pair.
Normally they are 3 stages or parts, the price varies if they are with quick lock or twisting lock, if you have the option I recommend the quick ones, as you can open and close them in an eye blink. Depending on your height, but once closed they could be around 60 to 65 cm you could fit them into 30 few liter pack, otherwise most of packs are prepared to carry poles attached to the sides. If this is not your case you can always adapt them easy and on the way back home just put them together and check them in.
If you go directly to Astorga, ask anyone for above mentioned stores or " una tienda de deportes" they will have them, think about a reasonable pair anywhere between 35 to 60€ . Aliminum , is fine Any more help do not hesitate to ask. Best

Can someone recommend a you tube video showing the right way to use poles? Thanks!

€83,-
Hi all,

I finished a short Camino (Ponferrada to Santiago) 2 weeks ago, aware that April is the wettest month. I bought a pole in Ponferrada for 7 euros, and it was invaluable when negotiating very muddy hills, although at other times it wasn't necessary.
If you don't take poles and find you need them, you can always buy them along the way.
Unfortunately, being wood, I wasn't able to bring mine back into Australia when I returned, so had to leave it in Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Unfortunately, being wood, I wasn't able to bring mine back into Australia when I returned, so had to leave it in Santiago.
I have brought back a wooden walking stick from Europe. It was inspected by the Quarantine Service on arrival, and passed muster. The risk is that it has been infected by a borer or the like, when it would have to be treated or destroyed.

For what it's worth, as a recent convert to walking poles (with youtube guidance) I don't think I could have managed the (modest) inclines, descents and stream negotiating / boulder hopping experienced on the Portugese da Costa to date without them. Invaluable aid to propulsion also.

... The risk is that it has been infected by a borer or the like, when it would have to be treated or destroyed.

Hopefully only treated! Destroying a pilgrims walking staff - Sacrilege! SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hopefully only treated! Destroying a pilgrims walking staff - Sacrilege! SY
:) that's very much up to what value any pilgrim puts on their staff. I don't know what the treatment would cost these days, but it used to be enough to make bringing wooden trinkets into Australia very expensive if you wanted to keep them.

I suspect most poles wouldn't be a problem, and there is at least one forum member who has carried his staff from Australia and returned with it several times.

Neither my husband nor I brought poles when we did the CF and neither of us were sorry that we hadn't. While many people prefer to walk with them, they are not a necessity for everyone. Buen Camino!

Train with them and without them and see if there is a difference. Myself, I can get along without my knee braces but I absolutely need the poles. No one can figure that out but you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just completed CF and did not use poles. There might have been some parts were they could have been handy (and they could have come in handy to fend off that old German man who tried to kiss me..) but I can't say I missed them. I saw so many people just dragging them and not using them properly. Pretty useless and something extra to carry.

No video, but the effect of poles on the camino is both up and down to share the weight of your pack/ pressure on your legs between arms and legs. Up they help you climb, down save your knees. If you do not feel the weight on your arms it is no use. Use them without rubber, with rubber I would never trust them. The places you feel you need rubber for the sound, put them away. Do not worry about disturbing other people with the sound. Like in planes, if you can't hear a baby cry, you have to choose businessclass. On the camino, if I cannot tolerate clickclacks from poles, loudtalking people, and the like, I must choose a more quiet camino.
I have used my BD ultralight (270 gr) for 5 years and I still trust them.Collapsed they measure 37 cm and most airports accept them through security. Most other poles I wear out in a year.
Went down from El Acebo today and was very glad I had poles since I most often carry a heavy backpack. But if you are youmg, carry a lightpack, have strong legs and not afraid of falling, the situation is may be different. Buen camino with or without poles.

I just completed CF and did not use poles. ... Pretty useless and something extra to carry.

Perhaps for you, but this old woman really needs them always. Needs and ways of doing a pilgrimage do differ. Buen Camino! SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There might have been some parts were they could have been handy (and they could have come in handy to fend off that old German man who tried to kiss me..) but I can't say I missed them. I saw so many people just dragging them and not using them properly.
@Nickan, this suggests that you use poles elsewhere. Is that so?

I would agree that if people are not going to put the effort into using them properly, they can become unnecessary dead weight. On the other hand, their are those of us who wouldn't contemplate doing any walk without poles. Cada loco con su tema!

As always, it's always 60-40% in opinions: yes or no. Only you decide what is best for yourself. There are 3 options really: (a) walk without poles, (b) postpone the decision until actual walk start then decide, or (c) get the poles, learn to use them properly. I'm walking in Sep and also newbie. I'm not too old but not very young either. Having read through this wonderful forum, I decided that poles would be useful if I want to continue walking pain free after the Camino. I don't know how much stress will be on the knees while walking 20+ km each day for 30+ days with a pack and uneven terrain. It'll be a bit late to say 'Oops! Should have gotten a pole on hindsight' after the walk.

Buen Camino[/QUOT

Buen Camino
I take it all back 2 days into my third camino and I'm using my trekking pole all the time!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You see, problem solved! Forum name and reality are matching again ;-) Buen Camino! SY

Wow, overwhelmed by the no of responses. Thank you all. From what I can gather those who use them swear by them, those who don't say go without... I have used them before, I know how to use them and found them to be useful for that trek but I feel with the camino for me, going on the responses, they may be more of a hindrance than a help so I'll be leaving them behind. Wish me luck :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back