• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking poles

Humbertico

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan 2018
Will,there be any problem with customs and airlines with trekking poles attached to your backpack? Any advise? Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mixed views on this one. Pack them in the pack rather than outside and be prepared to leave them behind if the airline says no. You can grab new ones when you get there if need be.

Your poles might be conficated. Consider how much they cost. Do you want the inconvenience of replacing them when you arrive. Do you want to risk checking them with or without your bag in and it getting lost. My own preference is to dismantle them put than along the back of the unchecked pack and hope for the best but plan for the worst.

I have twice been refused with trekking poles in my pack or on the outside of my back when trying to take on board as carry on luggage.
Suggest your check in your pack that way you can also take scissors, nail clippers, swiss army knife etc which otherwise being stopped.
Buen Camino
Mark

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Perfectly valid question but you have inadvertently started a conversation that usually ends up a touch heated and then locked by our mods. Try the search function and you will get a wide range of responses.
Best wishes and buen camino

Funny that a conversation about telescoping pieces of aluminium or carbon fibre tubing become so heated that the forum coppers have to step in and shut down the thread? The people that get that worked up about it need a holiday in Spain :D
I mean there's really not that much substance to the topic. In reality one could get to Spain, buy two brooms, cut off the wooden handles to length, drill lanyard holes at the base end, run some cord through it and have a perfectly serviceable set of trekking poles that will assist their walk to Santiago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Quite a few airlines have policies forbidding poles (not Poles) as carry-on. E.g. the ever unpopular, but much used, Ryan air specifically disallows poles for carry-on in their rules. Quite a few airports, like Santiago, forbid poles, as some of them can easily be turned into weapons (easier to forbid them all, than to try to distinguish).

I'm told that some airlines will let you check your poles free of charge, but that may very well be an urban myth - except out of SCQ.

The last time, the cheapest way was to send my poles (and my tomato knife ;)) ahead "Lista de Correros". That worked perfectly. I also mailed them back.

The last time, the cheapest way was to send my poles (and my tomato knife ;)) ahead "Lista de Correros"

We did the same. We mailed them from the States with guaranteed delivery date, only saw them again about a month after we got back home from our Camino. They never made it out of customs in Madrid, so some caution is needed if shipping from the States.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All I can tell you is my own experience.

Twice, we have been refused to carry our poles FROM Spain.
The last time, they had a barrel full of poles they were confiscating. Joe was so angry he tried to break his in half so they couldn't be resold. (Note: those poles don't break! :p)

When traveling TO Spain, I have sometimes packed them in a mailing tube and checked them if I felt I needed them.

Otherwise, I just buy poles there and leave them when I go home. You can get Leki knockoffs in SJPP, Zubiri, Pamplona, Sarria, Leon, and other towns along the Way and you can get really nice wooden poles for under €10 in nearly every village.

Get a tube out your poles and your knife in there and check them at the counter. On the way home, put them in your backpack, stick your knife in the bottom of your pack so a baggage handler doesn’t rip it off and check your backpack.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I normally make a box with a carrying handle from a couple of zipties and load the backpack and poles and whatever else I will need at the end. When I arrive I pull what I need from the box and send it to the end point. That way the poles and backpack are safe and I have fresh clothes at the end. One time I wrapped the box with tyvek and it looked just like luggage... you get 23 kilos for checked luggage.

I bought poles on the cheap at a “Chinese Store” in Irun. These stores are like a 5 and 10, and are in all urban centers in Spain.

Mine always go in my large backpack and into the cargo hold.

Never had a problem on any international flight and I've flown Australia to France, Australia to Spain, UK to Spain, UK to Australia, Spain to Australia and Spain to UK.

telescoping poles have been an ongoing hassle with airlines on overseas flights and within Europe. For my Camino this spring I've purchased folding poles that are only 18" long, easily fit in a pack or suitcase.

We have 3 personal experiences to draw from. On our first Camino, after obtaining poles in Spain, our 2 choices were to check them back to the states, or to chuck them into a trash bin. As they were our firsts, we sighed with relief when they finally popped out onto the baggage carousel.

For our 2nd Camino, we bought some carbon-fiber Z-poles, and after much agonizing (and trolling the forum), we decided to ship them as we had a tight connection and HATE to check our bags. We even stayed at a spendier hotel thinking that they would be more likely to get our package. No luck! We had to scramble for poles, although we easily stumbled across some decent ones for about 20 euro a pair. Sadly, those pairs ended up in the trash bin due to a baggage handler strike so checking them wasn't an option. As far as the the original pairs, it took months to track down and have them returned.

Our 3rd sets were bought in Porto. As it is a common starting point for the Portuguese, we left them behind in Porto as well at a hiker-friendly hotel. The clerk's family ran an alburgue and promised they would be given a great new home.

As far as first-hand knowledge goes, on our first Camino, we walked with folks who had shipped their poles this time as they had been forced to check their poles last time. It took a several days for the poles to catch up with them, and they had already re-purchased new sets, so they were giving away the extras.

So... shipping them can be unreliable and carrying them on seems to mostly unsuccessful. Avoid the stress and decide in advance to just check them or buy some overseas. Who knows, you just might find some Camino Angels to help you out.

Buen Camino

Will,there be any problem with customs and airlines with trekking poles attached to your backpack? Any advise? Thanks
I suggest checking them. We used a cover bag that held the pack and poles.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Copy of post by Grayland on this topic should minimize further discussion, This has been created by many Moderators here;

The post below by peregrina2000 is the preferred forum answer to the question of poles as carry on.
The moderators would greatly appreciate it if members would accept it and refrain from restarting all of the old arguments and opinions on this subject. It is from this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...oles-hand-luggage-in-planes.9936/#post-583182

Thanks for understanding.

"Because some of the forum "regulars" got very weary of this endless debate, and because the discussions always seemed to descend into vitriol and accusations, we came up with this post. I believe it lays out the pros and cons, the risks, the knowns and the unknowns. Good luck whatever you decide to do. Buen camino, Laurie

Several months back, when some of the posts were getting very belligerent on the topic of whether you can carry your hiking poles onto the plane, several members put their heads together to come up with a non-judgmental (yes, believe it or not, some people do get judgmental on this topic) summary of what can be said factually about the topic. People continue to want to carry on their poles, either because of short connections, the hassles created if they go missing (that was the trigger for me), etc.

Thanks to those clear thinkers. Here is what can be said about hiking poles on planes:

1. Written or posted guidance provided by airlines and security agencies often specifies "No hiking poles," without clarification of type or size. However, in many countries, the actual legally binding documents do not say hiking poles are prohibited. If asked, the airlines generally say "No hiking poles."
  2. In practice you will likely not be permitted to carry full-size uncollapsed hiking poles into the cabin.
  3. Many people who carry folded-up poles are allowed to carry them on (see the last point for the one clear exception).
  4. Walking aids are permitted if the passenger needs them for mobility.
  5. The security agents at all airports have authority to prohibit anything they decide is a potential hazard. It is not a good idea to argue with them. The security staff are not connected with the airlines.
  6. If you want to carry your poles into the cabin, no matter what type, go prepared with time and an alternative packing plan in case you are not permitted to take them.
  7. Finally, poles are never allowed through security at Santiago airport, when you are leaving, so you must have them as checked baggage. However, many travelers have reported that at Santiago airport, many airlines allow them to be checked at no additional cost.
Since these are generalizations, there will be lots of different individual experiences, but this list should help you decide what the risks are and how to go to the airport prepared with a plan B.

Because of the barrage of criticism that usually accompanies my statement that I have carried on my poles for years and years, I have resorted to PMs, and can tell you that as recently as Sept. 22, 2017 one pilgrim reported to me that he carried on poles from Boston to Madrid, through security, and onto a domestic flight within Spain.

Of course things can change, of course the security officer can do what he or she wants, which is why a Plan B is essential."

No problems traveling with my poles inside pack to/from US. I have set of friends who have done 3 Caminos and did the same, also with no issues. That’s 8 flights with zero problems.

I just returned from the middle east and my poles in my pack was no problem. Us to Turkey, to Iraq and back. Check with the TSA and the airlines in advance to find the answer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you have a large enough backpack to fit your pole into once compacted then that's all you need to ensure. My backpack is long and deep with plenty of room for poles.

Never any problems at airports. They will often NOT accept poles if they are outside of the back and can snag or gouge handlers.

Just needs a bit of thought, to be honest.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.