• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking Poles

isamartinezc

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Planned)
Hello! I am currently planning to walk El Camino in May.
Any advice on what to do about trekking poles since TSA doesn’t allow them in carry-on bags? Where could I purchase them in Spain and about how much $$ will they be?

Edit: I am doing El Camino Francés starting in SJPDP. I will be flying from Atlanta to Madrid, then going in train to Pamplona, and then taxi to SJPDP.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Which Camino? Where are you starting from?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Francés starting in SJPDP.
I will be flying from Atlanta to Madrid, then going in train to Pamplona, and then taxi to SJPDP.
There are shoppes in SJPdP that sell trekking poles, as well as shoppes in Zubiri, Pamplona and Puente la Reina. You should have no problem finding some. I remember being able to get a pair for about $20-25 euros for the least expensive, standard telescoping variety.

The discussion on whether TSA gate agents will or won't allow walking poles on planes is prone to release more heat than light. One of the moderators recently put together a very good summary that you might want to read.

If you decide to buy them in Spain or France, there will be places to do that in Pamplona or SJPP before you start, or in many places along the way. If you are already a pole user, I expect you will want to get them before you start walking, which does mean having some time in either Pamplona or SJPP to do some shopping!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Francés starting in SJPDP.
I will be flying from Atlanta to Madrid, then going in train to Pamplona, and then taxi to SJPDP.
Hi.
I bought my trekking poles in SJPDP for my first Camino back in 2013. I still have them and will use them next month on my 5th Camino. I grew sort of attached to them and as my backpack always goes in the hold, I put them inside it. There was a good outdoor store near the big supermarket on the outskirts of SJPDP and it was still there in 2018. In the end I went for a moderately expensive pair and they have been an absolute boon and well worth the money. You can get all types at all sorts of prices. At the time I found prices in SJPDP more competitive than here in England.
Buen Camino
Vince

Hello! I am currently planning to walk El Camino in May.
Any advice on what to do about trekking poles since TSA doesn’t allow them in carry-on bags? Where could I purchase them in Spain and about how much $$ will they be?

Edit: I am doing El Camino Francés starting in SJPDP. I will be flying from Atlanta to Madrid, then going in train to Pamplona, and then taxi to SJPDP.
Go to any China store, (bazaar), and you will find the least expensive sticks and also most anything else you may want to carry. Look there first, they are in the centro of most cities. Then if you are not satisfied, check the higher priced specialty shops.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have left three sets of poles behind in Spain. Two sets on purpose and one not on purpose and it was a set I brought with me when I walked the Portugues and part of the Frances on one trip. I was actually going to try and bring them home, but they fell out of the window of my hotel room, San Martin Pinario in Santiago lol. I was using them to keep the window open while I napped. It was a very windy day and I awoke to a dark room, shutters closed. It took me a moment to realize what happened. I looked below (third floor) and didn't see them in that garden of sorts and then went down there and searched in vain. Alas they were gone. Hope whomever found them enjoys them.
They were good trekking poles for about $22. Even this feline pilgrim liked them. :D
IMG_20190731_085153738.jpg

If you are sleeping in Madrid there are lots of stores., like Decathlon or Corte Ingles and a host of smaller stores. If you are stopping over for a while in Pamplona you have those choices too as well as going to Caminoteca that is right around the corner from Jesus and Maria Pilgrim Albergue. You can buy really good and inexpensive poles. If you are not a serious hiker I do not think there is a need to spend 50-100 Euros.

In March 2022 I flew into Madrid as well from jfk. I had my trekking poles in carryon luggage, but once I got to Madrid security they made me check them ( thus my bag too). I had even hacksawed off the pointy ends beforehand!
Once in SDC, I went to the main post office and mailed them home. My sticks, and my sons wooden collapsible sticks cost 47 euros to mail to Ohio. That includes 3 euros for the box, which the clerk provided and taped up for us. I got them maybe 10 days later!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wonder if it makes any difference if the poles are inside the carry on pack. Would it be less likely to have to put them in the hold then?

I have left three sets of poles behind in Spain. Two sets on purpose and one not on purpose and it was a set I brought with me when I walked the Portugues and part of the Frances on one trip. I was actually going to try and bring them home, but they fell out of the window of my hotel room, San Martin Pinario in Santiago lol. I was using them to keep the window open while I napped. It was a very windy day and I awoke to a dark room, shutters closed. It took me a moment to realize what happened. I looked below (third floor) and didn't see them in that garden of sorts and then went down there and searched in vain. Alas they were gone. Hope whomever found them enjoys them.
They were good trekking poles for about $22. Even this feline pilgrim liked them. :D
View attachment 122346
Oh no!! Hahah thanks for sharing. Someone must have found them and put them to good use! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.