• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking poles

BLFE

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023
A new member here!! I understand that bringing trekking poles in a carry on is risky (maybe impossible). We’ll be starting the Camino at Sarria and was wondering whether I could buy some when we get there. If so, where? Thanks!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A new member here!! I understand that bringing trekking poles in a carry on is risky (maybe impossible). We’ll be starting the Camino at Sarria and was wondering whether I could buy some when we get there. If so, where? Thanks!!!
Your understanding is correct.

You can buy poles in Sarria. Peregrinoteca comes to mind, there may be other shops.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you want a few thousand more words on the subject,
It’s late August and time for poles conversation. Never tire of the topic and just yesterday afternoon was having a hiking stick conversation with 2 seasoned Forum Peregrinas. Es un tema interminable.
1660917721901.gif

Hi! I’m new too, and had presumed no poles as carry on. This got me thinking in these times of environmental issues (let’s skip the bit about everyone flying to and from the Camino) there must be an abundance of discarded poles in Santiago, which people in SJDP or Sarria could perhaps reuse rather than buying new items??

Hi! I’m new too, and had presumed no poles as carry on. This got me thinking in these times of environmental issues (let’s skip the bit about everyone flying to and from the Camino) there must be an abundance of discarded poles in Santiago, which people in SJDP or Sarria could perhaps reuse rather than buying new items??
Absolutely, but how do you collect them and send them back? Honestly Sarria is less than a week's walk pilgrimage so not so much for a need there but SJPdP is 800 kilometers away. One would burn a lot of fossil fuel transporting the trekking poles. Burn fossil fuel to save a little bit of aluminium. Also you'd have to collect probably 1000 poles to make it worthwhile.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'd love to know where to score some discarded poles in Santiago. I leave on Sunday for the Ingles, and will be stopping briefly in Santiago on August 22nd (this Monday!!) before catching the bus / train to Ferrol. I need poles and would rather use a discarded pair rather than have to buy and then leave yet another abandoned pair of poles behind. If someone knows where there might be poles I could adopt - thank you!! Buen Camino everyone!

I took my poles to the Orlando airport TSA, a couple of days before heading to Spain, and asked if I could bring on board. They said yes. I simply put them in backpack and brought as carry on.

I took my poles to the Orlando airport TSA, a couple of days before heading to Spain, and asked if I could bring on board. They said yes. I simply put them in backpack and brought as carry on.
That's amazing. I am so glad it worked out for you. I have a collapsible pair, perhaps I will see what the Albany NY TSA has to say about them when I board on Sunday.... Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We’re they collapsible or the adjustable ones?

That's amazing. I am so glad it worked out for you. I have a collapsible pair, perhaps I will see what the Albany NY TSA has to say about them when I board on Sunday.... Buen Camino!
Quite often TSA in the US allows poles in carry on backpacks. But I think that you need a back up plan if the agent that you encounter that day does not allow them.

This is what it says on the TSA site:

tsa hiking poles.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd love to know where to score some discarded poles in Santiago. I leave on Sunday for the Ingles, and will be stopping briefly in Santiago on August 22nd (this Monday!!) before catching the bus / train to Ferrol. I need poles and would rather use a discarded pair rather than have to buy and then leave yet another abandoned pair of poles behind. If someone knows where there might be poles I could adopt - thank you!! Buen Camino everyone!
Try @natefaith at Pilgrim House in Santiago, or @SYates here on the forum for ideas.

I’ve heard that many of the TSA agents distinguish between collapsible hiking poles and telescoping hiking poles. The telescoping hiking poles Have problems because they can be used as a weapon. I have never had a problem with collapsible poles, putting them in my backpack and carrying them on board.

I’ve heard that many of the TSA agents distinguish between collapsible hiking poles and telescoping hiking poles. The telescoping hiking poles Have problems because they can be used as a weapon. I have never had a problem with collapsible poles, putting them in my backpack and carrying them on board.
On the basis of what you ‘have heard’ are you recommending that if flying from the US you can take collapsible poles as carry on?

This is the problem, and the reason why this interminable topic comes up time and time again. The rules are clear but the application of the rules varies. On a good day you’ll get away with it - because the rules clearly say ‘no poles’ - so are you really saying ‘ignore the rules because I think you’ll get away with it’?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some decisions are left to the agent's discretion, there's no guarantee you'll encounter the same agent on your day of travel, so there's a risk of loss. After arrival, any stout stick will serve until you can obtain a set of poles.

I occasionally have needed to travel with crutches, which then take the place of poles when I'm hiking. No problem with them on the plane if they collapse to fit into an overhead bin, but best to make arrangements ahead of time for the crew to put them someplace where one doesn't have access during the flight.

I don't know about carry-ons as I don't fly but really, you don't need poles, it isn't the arctic and you aren't on skis pulling a sled .... you don't use poles at home to go walking or shopping or indoors to go upstairs or downstairs - you would feel like an idiot doing that ... on Camino you see countless pilgrims leaning forward like cripples and clicking away, driving everyone else crazy with the sound, and they have no benefit whatsoever, regardless of the fashion hype (from the makers of poles) .... try this .. stand on a scale and place a pole either side of you on the floor .. now push down as hard as you can and look at the scale, no difference ... the only need for a pole, a single pole at that, is for stability when negotiating steep ascents or descents, turning you into a stable triped rather than a biped .. so really, forget poles as carry-ons and just buy a stout single staff when you arrive, for those steep sections (and pointing at things in the distance to another pilgrim - oh, and beating off dogs ;))

Last edited:
you don't use poles at home to go walking or shopping or indoors to go upstairs or downstairs -
I'm not wearing a backpack which alters my center of gravity for 6-8 hours a day while I'm at home or shopping.
I find poles to be very useful on the Camino for a number of reasons.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm not wearing a backpack which alters my center of gravity for 6-8 hours a day while I'm at home or shopping.
I find poles to be very useful on the Camino for a number of reasons.

Stand straight, upright, relaxed, always.

On this trip in July, landing on the 11th, I put my poles in my bag and shrink wrapped the entire backpack and checked it. Worked fine. Finished from Santander to Santiago.
Then met my wife in Lisbon (now) , she didn’t bring any as she carried her bag. Went to Decathlon where they have a great selection and great prices.
There are definitely options, except just carrying them on in your backpack, hope that helps.
Now on the Camino Portugues.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I beg to differ with David. I tried his experiment on the bathroom scale and found a 30 lbs difference when using walking poles vs none. I am one of those Pacer Pole fanatics and I packed into my carryon a 3 piece carbon fiber collapsible pair and had absolutely no problem at security here in the states or in Madrid (where I had to go through security twice because I got lost in the airport terminal) or in Porto.
I found them invaluable during my Camino and I still use them everyday on my walks here at home.

I don't know about carry-ons as I don't fly but really, you don't need poles, it isn't the arctic and you aren't on skis pulling a sled .... you don't use poles at home to go walking or shopping or indoors to go upstairs or downstairs - you would feel like an idiot doing that ... on Camino you see countless pilgrims leaning forward like cripples and clicking away, driving everyone else crazy with the sound, and they have no benefit whatsoever, regardless of the fashion hype (from the makers of poles) .... try this .. stand on a scale and place a pole either side of you on the floor .. now push down as hard as you can and look at the scale, no difference ... the only need for a pole, a single pole at that, is for stability when negotiating steep ascents or descents, turning you into a stable triped rather than a biped .. so really, forget poles as carry-ons and just buy a stout single staff when you arrive, for those steep sections (and pointing at things in the distance to another pilgrim - oh, and beating off dogs ;))
Some of us actually DO use poles to walk in our daily life. 😆 I walk between 8 and 10 miles a day with a week foot due to surgery and back problems. I’ve gotten over the odd looks I get walking through town and enjoy feeling more stable with the added benefit of improved upper-body strength. I always use good rubber tips and replace often. I don’t enjoy the clicking noise either.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some of us actually DO use poles to walk in our daily life. 😆 I walk between 8 and 10 miles a day with a week foot due to surgery and back problems. I’ve gotten over the odd looks I get walking through town and enjoy feeling more stable with the added benefit of improved upper-body strength. I always use good rubber tips and replace often. I don’t enjoy the clicking noise either.
I have to use them when walking any distance because I have lymphedema in my arms (after BC surgery) and my hands swell so badly. Using sticks keeps my hands at heart level and my muscles working so no swelling! I use rubber tips. I get into the rhythm of the walk and make up little tunes to go with my walking beat. I wish the US TSA would relax their stupid hiking pole policy. Buen Camino to all, I leave in less than 24 hours for my Camino Ingles!

We are in Santiago until Monday and have a good set you can have if you want. Just let me know and we can leave them at the hotel desk. Buon CaminoI

We are in Santiago until Monday and have a good set you can have if you want. Just let me know and we can leave them at the hotel desk. Buon CaminoI
That would be lovely, I will be arriving in SdC on Monday around 1-ish. If you do not want to leave your hotel information on this thread, I can be reached on WhatsApp - Karyn Dornemann - or FB Messenger. I would love to give your poles a second life!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Plenty of places to buy good inexpensive poles in Sarria

That would be lovely, I will be arriving in SdC on Monday around 1-ish. If you do not want to leave your hotel information on this thread, I can be reached on WhatsApp - Karyn Dornemann - or FB Messenger. I would love to give your poles a second life!
We would love for you to have them! This will be their 3rd Camino, so they should know where they are going. We will leave them at the desk Monday for Karyn. It's Hotel Alda Catedral at 22 Rua do Franco, a pedestrian street near the Cathedral. Buon Camino!

Thank you so very much and I hope you return to another Camino very soon! I’ll pick them up on Monday. Enjoy your time in Santiago!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My wife and I have used zfold poles and make 2 to 3 overseas trips a year. We wrap them and they fit in my pack . TSA has never questioned them. They may next time. But not too this point.

Are trekking poles needed when walking from Fonfria to Santiago? Are there big climbs and descents along this part of the Camino Frances? I have a nice pair of Women's Hiking Poles that are adjustable (I can make longer or shorter). I don't understand the difference between telescoping and adjustable on this thread - they both mean the same to me. Anyway, I am wondering if it is worth it to check my poles - or whether I should just buy some in SdC or just skip altogether. I don't want to carry poles if not needed. I don't want to put my poles in my backpack and risk confiscation. Are the poles for sale in SdC as good as my Lexi poles from the USA? Thank you in advance for your feedback.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are trekking poles needed when walking from Fonfria to Santiago? Are there big climbs and descents along this part of the Camino Frances? I have a nice pair of Women's Hiking Poles that are adjustable (I can make longer or shorter). I don't understand the difference between telescoping and adjustable on this thread - they both mean the same to me. Anyway, I am wondering if it is worth it to check my poles - or whether I should just buy some in SdC or just skip altogether. I don't want to carry poles if not needed. I don't want to put my poles in my backpack and risk confiscation. Are the poles for sale in SdC as good as my Lexi poles from the USA? Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Only you can make that decision. I can only tell you that poles help me in many ways when I'm walking with a backpack, be it uphill, downhill, or flat.

Do you bring your poles from home or do you purchase them on the Way? Just curious. Thank you.
I bring my poles from home. I always check a bag with my pre and post Camino things, and also put my poles in the checked bag.
I send the bag on to Santiago before I start the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@David, after your last foray into this territory in 2019, and an earlier excursion in 2017, I hadn't expected to see you raise the same matters again.

It appears that others have already detected the fallacy in your suggestion that there will be no weight difference doing your bathroom scales test.

Much of the rest of this appears to be down to your distaste for technical trekking poles rather than anything else. I don't need to rehearse the discussion we had back in 2019, although if others are interested, they can follow the link to see how little has changed in your position, and how similar the objections were then to those that have been raised in this thread.

What I will repeat is my own positon on technical walking poles:
  • poles are not essential, but have many benefits,
  • poles are useful for anyone who takes the time to learn how to use them properly, irrespective of age, fitness, etc
  • they are just as useful reducing the weight on hips, knees and ankles on the flat as on slopes, other benefits are more evident on slopes.
  • two poles are better than one,
  • Pacer poles are no better than other styles of technical pole
  • poles should be in your hands - poles in your pack are pointless
  • rubber tips should be used walking through towns and villages - buy a new pair or two before your camino (in my quiet moments, I have a more extreme view about what to do about people who aren't prepared to spend a few dollars to replace the rubber pole tips that clearly wore through months ago and do nothing to stop the pole clacking).
For those that are curious, I no longer comment on taking poles in carry on. The moderators have developed a really good response to this that has already been linked. I bring my poles in my checked baggage, and depart from Santiago the same way.

Last edited:
Here's a cheeky tip.... Pop into every albergue you walk past and ask if there are poles that have been left and forgotten for a while. I know from experience that poles get left all along the camino and after 24 hours no-one is going to go back for them.

I have just bought 2 of these https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/1-ult...e-mt900-black/_/R-p-172316?mc=8493720&c=BLACK for our forthcoming San Salvador + Primitivo. They collapse to 36cm (14 inches) so I can hide them in my rucksack and not leave them in the bucket by the door of the albergue, where they will surely be forgotten at 7am the next morning. I'm driving so no worries about airport security, but I'd certainly risk it.

On the basis of what you ‘have heard’ are you recommending that if flying from the US you can take collapsible poles as carry on?

This is the problem, and the reason why this interminable topic comes up time and time again. The rules are clear but the application of the rules varies. On a good day you’ll get away with it - because the rules clearly say ‘no poles’ - so are you really saying ‘ignore the rules because I think you’ll get away with it’?

I told myself I would not get into this discussion yet again, but I do take a bit of offense when people suggest that those who carry on their poles through TSA are “ignoring the rules” because they think they can “get away with it.” I have carried on my foldable Z-poles every year since my checked poles went missing in 2010 or thereabouts. I have also done this on numerous domestic flights in the US, in big cities and small airports. I have shown the poles to my TSA agents, I have disclosed that I am carrying on foldable poles. Agents have told me that they do not consider folded up poles within the “hiking pole” ban because they require assembly before they can be used as a weapon. I realize that there are some TSA agents who take a different view and will not let them through, but I haven’t run across them in the last decade.

Anyone who wants to carry on poles should have a back-up plan — get to the airport with plenty of time so that you can check the poles if you need to.

I always check them on the return trip.

I told myself I would not get into this discussion yet again, but I do take a bit of offense when people suggest that those who carry on their poles through TSA are “ignoring the rules” because they think they can “get away with it.” I have carried on my foldable Z-poles every year since my checked poles went missing in 2010 or thereabouts. I have also done this on numerous domestic flights in the US, in big cities and small airports. I have shown the poles to my TSA agents, I have disclosed that I am carrying on foldable poles. Agents have told me that they do not consider folded up poles within the “hiking pole” ban because they require assembly before they can be used as a weapon. I realize that there are some TSA agents who take a different view and will not let them through, but I haven’t run across them in the last decade.

Anyone who wants to carry on poles should have a back-up plan — get to the airport with plenty of time so that you can check the poles if you need to.

My apologies for any offence. My wording was inappropriate.

Let me try again: if some people have their poles confiscated - which has been reported - there must be some rule under which that can happen. As we’ve established in countless posts, passim, the rules are not applied consistently. Either some folk are ‘lucky’ or others are ‘unlucky’. I don’t mean to imply deception.

Many years ago I had a tiny knife confiscated. It lived on my key-ring and had done for many years and on countless flights.

I stayed calm, boarded my flight and took my seat on the back row of the ‘plane. Above my head in a ‘break glass in case of emergency’ case was a full-sized fire-axe. Many years pre 9/11, obviously.

Most people use telescopic poles. I did that my first Camino. I wrapped them in bubble wrap for both mine and my wife's. We connected them from our side bottle carriers and TSA knew what the were and let us carry them on. We graduated to zfold poles and have carried then in our carry on at least 6 times.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.