• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

trekking sticks vs hiking staff

Lurch

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (parts of) 2018, 2021
Which is used by more people and why, please; walking staffs, or trekking poles. I can see the advantage of using 2 poles but somehow a longer staff seems to me to be sturdier and won't collapse on you if you suddenly put a lot of weight on it. I have expensive sticks which did just that and being taller than the average bear, a longer staff makes more sense. Any information will be appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use 2 (lightweight) hiking poles and they support me well. 95kg.
I honestly don't see the point in a staff. It only supports one side and cannot be used to support your weight as effectively as hiking poles do, by the correct use of the straps.

But you'll get plenty of different opinions. ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Like a lot of things this is an individual choice, what's good for one might not be good for the other. Myself I use poles, they help me up and down the hills and give me stability.

I use hiking poles. They give me more power going up hills and stability going down. Another advantage is that I can collapse them and attach them to my pack whenever I want to walk with my hands free. I've never used a single hiking staff, so can't really comment on the advantages of using one. I'm going to stick with my poles :)

Which is used by more people and why, please; walking staffs, or trekking poles. I can see the advantage of using 2 poles but somehow a longer staff seems to me to be sturdier and won't collapse on you if you suddenly put a lot of weight on it. I have expensive sticks which did just that and being taller than the average bear, a longer staff makes more sense. Any information will be appreciated.

If your poles collapsed, especially given your height, I'd say a staff would be better for you -- try and find one in ash, length when standing should ideally be the distance between the ground and your armpit. (EDIT -- hmmm following Tia Valeria's advice below, I'd add that a knot or slight twist in the wood at the angle she suggests for length, to serve as a grip, is indeed ideal)

More generally, and all else being equal, I'd say generally on a shorter or easier hike, like many people's Camino, poles might be better, simply because they're easier to learn. But the staff, once you've mastered it, does the same job, is sturdier, and has a wider variety of potential uses.

Where all is not equal OTOH, then particular needs should determine choice -- some people with certain hip or back conditions would be better off with poles, certain personal hiking techniques or styles might mandate the one or the other as being better, living in mountainous terrain might make a staff better for the person (for off-Camino use), and so on, including height and weight issues --- the smaller and lighter you are the more poles make sense, the taller and heavier the more a staff does.

But yeah -- given the problems you encountered, clearly poles are not for you ; if possible, I'd advise getting a staff ASAP instead of thinking you can just learn it on the fly as you go ; mastering it will require the full Camino probably, but prior practice with it beforehand would make that process easier.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Despite several attempts I've never got the hang of walking with a pair of poles. I prefer a single pole or stick. I like to fly with only cabin baggage and a pole as carry-on has not been an option. My solution for the past couple of years has been to bring a rubber walking stick ferrule with me and buy a wooden broom handle once in Spain. Pretty much the ideal length for me. Screw the ferrule on one end, make a wrist strap from my spare bootlaces at the other. Cheap, simple and sturdy. Also makes it very easy to spot your own stick in the forest of poles near the albergue door :)

We are the single wooden stick type of pilgrim. Ours have curved tops and are cut to the correct length (at home) with the arm from the elbow at right angles to the body when holding the stick comfortably. Ideal for leaning on and also can be seen as a walking aid on a plane, unlike the metal poles. Rubber tips are easily obtainable in Spain at ferreterias (hardware stores). We also like having one hand free and can walk on a ditch/path side with weight on the pole to avoid mud holes.
Note that in the picture the curve open end of the stick points outwards and this is leaning while chatting, not 'full weight' mode :).

Attachments

• leaning on stick.jpg
    leaning on stick.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 56
I have used both and prefer a staff, which I use with a wrist strap. This is personal choice though, I prefer the rhythm of a staff . Technically you would get more benefit from two walking poles, I agree.

One benefit off carrying a staff is you have one hand free to drink your wine while walking!

Davey

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I honestly don't see the point in a staff. It only supports one side and cannot be used to support your weight as effectively as hiking poles do

That is only true if you haven't really learned how to walk with one -- it supports weight very effectively indeed, and after you've learned it, you adjust your whole balance when using it so that the staff supports your whole body.

That is only true if you haven't really learned how to walk with one -- it supports weight very effectively indeed, and after you've learned it, you adjust your whole balance when using it so that the staff supports your whole body.

I just can't picture how the physics of it all would work, with only one staff. I've tried to find a video online to show how they are used. Maybe you could share a link?

If your current poles have a flick lock, check that it has been adjusted properly, and isn't just a little loose. If a flick lock is relatively easy to apply, it probably isn't tight enough to hold the pole sections together under higher loads.

If they are a twist lock, I would suggest dismantling the pole and cleaning out any dust and dirt from inside the pole sections, rinsing the locking mechanism and then re-assembling the pole.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As a single stick user I will explain my personal preference here. Not in any attempt to persuade anyone one way or the other - it always amazes me how heated the argument on this issue can get and how entrenched people can become in arguing that their's is the ONLY valid position. Why such misplaced missionary zeal?

To use twin poles effectively it is generally agreed that you have to coordinate the movement of arms and feet to achieve the correct placement of each pole in relation to the feet and torso. I have a natural rhythm and gait when walking over long distances which serves me well. Over moderate terrain I can walk for 40km or more in a day if I wish to without feeling unduly tired or injuring myself. Very occasionally over 50km. I can do this for several consecutive days while carrying quite substantial weights - 14kg and more in some of my recent walking on routes other than the Caminos. I use my stick or pole mainly for balance on uneven or slippery ground. It also keeps one hand elevated and reduces swelling which I find can be a problem at times. Alternating between left and right hand if necessary. I do not rely on my pole to bear part of my weight in normal walking or as an aid to propulsion.

I have tried walking with twin poles a number of times and found it very unsatisfactory. To be effective it means I must actively adopt an unnatural gait quite different from my normal walking. Experienced pole users have demonstrated their technique to me and observed my use of poles and declared my own technique to be sound. Even so I find that the use of twin poles actually hampers my walking rather than assisting me: it is far more tiring and results in aches and strains which I do not otherwise encounter when walking. While I might by choice walk for 40km with a single pole I have never been able to walk anywhere near that distance when using paired poles and I find that the walking is far less enjoyable: a simple intuitive pleasure becomes a frustrating technical exercise. I have read many of the complicated mechanical explanations of why walking with poles is theoretically of benefit in long distance walking. No doubt that in many cases the physics of the argument is sound. I can only say that my lived experience is otherwise. I do not argue that those who find using twin poles is beneficial are mistaken. I am sure that in most cases they are correct. I simply note that I personally do not find them an aid.

Having cross country skied for years, a set of trekking poles feels extremely natural to me. I have light weight carbon fibre poles. Strong, but also have a bit of spring in them. When I feel like going at a hard pace, I find I can eat up an incredible amount of distance with low fatigue. I actually push down on them slightly as I walk, with the inherent spring of the carbon fibre, I find I can get into a pace where I feel very little load on my legs. I use my poles a little differently from most I have observed. I do a double pole plant and then step towards them, rather than in using them in an alternating stride pattern. Sounds awkward, but in practice works very well.

I find them incredibly helpful on uphill and downhill stretches and in muddy areas as well. I use my poles almost 100% of the time even on flat areas. I scratch my head as I see people with poles on their back packs that look new or little used.

I walk with poles, but on a flat path my natural movement would be better suited to a staff: many steps on one arm motion. But I really bring the poles for climbing up and prevent falls going down on rocky terrain, so two poles it is. I wish I had correct pole technique, but like so many others I simply do not. And don't even get me started about Pacer Poles and how they basically make you walk faster.

Another advantage of two poles: no swelling of the hand just hanging downm not on the staff.

If you poles collapsed perhaps you would be better off with the Black Diamond Zpole type of folding method?

I've done it both ways.
I took Pacer Poles on a couple of Caminos.
In the end, I prefer to just pick up a walking stick along the route.
There really aren't that many places you NEED a stick.
If you forget it at a bar or albergue, you can just pick up another.
You don't have to worry about getting it through the airport security.
It's just easier for me.

Totally agreed with Annie.

I started with a walking stick on my first Camino. Then a single pole for the next 3 subsequent Camino. Easy for me as I am comfortable using it with either hand with the other hands free.

Then as the restriction on flying with poles gets tight, I just pick whatever stick I can find along the route. It's not often we need to use them, maybe just a couple of sharp inclines.

Now I don't even need a stick. Maybe it was the change of footwear to trail runners (no ankle support but much lighter without blisters and ironically my ankle feels stronger and free) or the Tai Chi I've been doing the past few years (great balance and lower body strength with all the low postures).

I stick I pick up along the route is more for show or in case I meet an unrestrained angry dog....

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I fully understand why some people prefer not to use trekking sticks - however you cut it they are an artificial aid. Walking is something we learn to do naturally when we are 1 year old, and we have practised that skill all our lives, without sticks or poles. Using sticks interrupts our natural flow, at least until we integrate the process into our natural rhythm. Some never get that feeling.

Walking with a pack introduces a variable. So does physical injury, age (wear and tear), unusual environmental obstacles. In my case I have no useful vision in one eye, so no depth perception, injured knees and poor natural balance.

I'm not alone, most people my age have accumulated mechanical wear in some part or other of their bodies. And we don't usually carry heavy loads on our backs for hundreds of kilometres. Trekking sticks help to balance my body, give a mechanical advantage and add propulsion, integrate some upper body strength, assist my vision and balance by feel, signal terrain changes underfoot. They have saved me innumerable times from twisting or turning an ankle and from face planting - which I have done quite a few times when walking normally without a pack.

I simply could not walk the distances I do without my trekking sticks.

Sounds
I fully understand why some people prefer not to use trekking sticks - however you cut it they are an artificial aid. Walking is something we learn to do naturally when we are 1 year old, and we have practised that skill all our lives, without sticks or poles. Using sticks interrupts our natural flow, at least until we integrate the process into our natural rhythm. Some never get that feeling.

Walking with a pack introduces a variable. So does physical injury, age (wear and tear), unusual environmental obstacles. In my case I have no useful vision in one eye, so no depth perception, injured knees and poor natural balance.

I'm not alone, most people my age have accumulated mechanical wear in some part or other of their bodies. And we don't usually carry heavy loads on our backs for hundreds of kilometres. Trekking sticks help to balance my body, give a mechanical advantage and add propulsion, integrate some upper body strength, assist my vision and balance by feel, signal terrain changes underfoot. They have saved me innumerable times from twisting or turning an ankle and from face planting - which I have done quite a few times when walking normally without a pack.

I simply could not walk the distances I do without my trekking sticks.
Sounds like the poles work great for you as well as for a lot of others. i like mine and basically use them cause they have to hold my tent up, lol. But to tell you the truth i still feel rather uncomfortable with them, like it's some kind of prothesis i really don't need. Dunno, will keep using them but i really have a hard time getting into the flow of walking with them.. maybe more miles will help.

I have a year to get ready for the Frances, so probably should buy a staff off Ebay and see how it works. For me its use would be to assist my damaged right knee. I use a single pole now, trying to get the rythem of two down.

Thanks to those who answered, it is all appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What, nothing from Tigger??? How will I know what will be easiest on my nails? Sorry Tig, couldn't resist!

I personally feel poles are better for me
Trekking poles are NOT meant to support your weight. That's why light carbon poles works as well

It saves me an incredible amount of energy to use poles to negotiate ups and downs. The subtle sway of my body as each step is placed, especially on uneven surfaces, is countered balanced by the poles. Like becoming a quadruped. The few times my ankle might turn or a rock move, or I get unsteady, having poles made all the difference to a good outcome. And since these things can happen on either side, having two poles was VERY helpful
A staff on one side trying to all that did not work for me

Watching people on the Camino walking with poles used in a less-than=useful manner demonstrated how much sway in body was wasted energy. Add fatigue to that when steps might get clumsier, it's even more dramatic.

Alot of people put the poles up on flat stretches, but I found poles had a benefit for me even on flat: I had a fast stride and the rhythm and gentle push off of slightly angled poles allowed me to fly with ease.
and I believe the poles helped recovery from overuse injuries
just MHO
nanc

I'll certainly NOT try to convert the hiking-sticks-disciples over to my point of view; 'twould be pointless. Instead, I'll just talk about MY use of a single hiking staff.

I've been trekking (hiking, nature-walking, birding, backpacking, what-have-you) for most of my life. I have found a single staff to be extremely useful because it (a) significantly aids my balance over rough terrain, either in contact with the ground or deployed horizontally like a high-wire walker, (b) makes me into an efficient, energy-saving "tripod" when pausing with pack still on my back, (c) serves to support the grounded backpack in such a way as to provide an excellent backrest during breaks, (d) is wonderful for retrieving potentially-lost articles, and more.

My current hiking staff is actually a camera monopod, sorta-kinda like this one:
https://www.google.com/express/prod...source=google_shopping&utm_medium=product_ads
(Mine is significantly cheaper and only has two extendable sections.)

My staff is length-adjustable from its stowage-length of 27 inches through "mere" walking cane height all the way to a full-height staff (in my case, six feet tall). I commonly use it as a binocular-prop to stabilize said optics when I'm viewing faraway objects. I have added my own custom wrist strap so as to provide additional support and stabilization when climbing uphill. The additional length also provides great tripod-like support and stabilization when going downhill.

Let us not forget to include its convenience as a field-expedient tent pole, etc.

Again, I'm not attempting to say that my hiking staff is in any way superior to hiking sticks. This is an extremely personal choice, after all.

-- Glenn

PS: Besides, as an earlier poster said, using a single staff frees up one hand to hold a bottle (wine, beer, etc.)....;)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can you just buy a pilgrim hiking stick? Like in a store? I wanted to buy a stick, not hiking poles, just a stick. And one of those seashells.

Can you just buy a pilgrim hiking stick? Like in a store? I wanted to buy a stick, not hiking poles, just a stick. And one of those seashells.

Yes, but if you want the best one for your needs, that's usually less easy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I prefer using two trekking poles when walking long distances such on the Camino. There are safety factors (I usually walk in winter or early spring during slippery conditions) but mostly because of the rhythm it contributes to my overall movement.

On the other hand, I've used a single stick/staff for many years when hiking and camping in the mountains. Where I live is surrounded by steep hills and having a single long staff to place down slope when walking on a side slope has stopped numerous tumbles. Also good to beat wet bushes to clear the water as well as as occasionally being the end support on a lean-to shelter.

Different tools for different purposes I suppose...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On the other hand, I've used a single stick/staff for many years when hiking and camping in the mountains. Where I live is surrounded by steep hills and having a single long staff to place down slope when walking on a side slope has stopped numerous tumbles. Also good to beat wet bushes to clear the water as well as as occasionally being the end support on a lean-to shelter.

Different tools for different purposes I suppose...

Let us not forget, when walking thru snake country, the extreme usefulness of a single staff. It always proceeds one over/across logs or rocks or other visual barriers, thereby assuring that any suddenly-awakened poisonous reptile will strike the STAFF rather than the leg....

Yours truly,

-- The Voice of Experience

Let us not forget, when walking thru snake country, the extreme usefulness of a single staff. It always proceeds one over/across logs or rocks or other visual barriers, thereby assuring that any suddenly-awakened poisonous reptile will strike the STAFF rather than the leg....

Yours truly,

-- The Voice of Experience
In reference to the Camino Frances, unless you peel off the main path and saunter through the woods, you won't encounter any snakes not clearly visible. I only saw one snake on the Frances, a small one about 2' long and it was dead, skull trauma no doubt from a pilgrim ahead of me. I don't think it was one of the poisonous vipers native to northern Spain. Nevertheless, I coiled up the now deceased serpent, propped his head up as best I could and left him in the middle of the dirt path, looking like he was still alive and ready to strike.
I wonder what the reaction(s) were of the next group that came along? :rolleyes:

Sounds

Sounds like the poles work great for you as well as for a lot of others. i like mine and basically use them cause they have to hold my tent up, lol. But to tell you the truth i still feel rather uncomfortable with them, like it's some kind of prothesis i really don't need. Dunno, will keep using them but i really have a hard time getting into the flow of walking with them.. maybe more miles will help.
Perhaps you might be interested in what I had to say a couple of months ago in a thread entitled TIPBOT. You can use the search function as I don't know how to link.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some people think the staff looks cooler.

I think that's the only advantage.

(Hurriedly running off before the single-staff fans arrive to attack me.)
Yes, I definitely look cooler with my wooden hiking staff. ;) But really, I just couldn't find my hiking poles just before I left. The wooden staff worked well. I switched from side to side every once in a while, and I didn't feel unbalanced at all.

I have used both and prefer a staff, which I use with a wrist strap. This is personal choice though, I prefer the rhythm of a staff . Technically you would get more benefit from two walking poles, I agree.

One benefit off carrying a staff is you have one hand free to drink your wine while walking!

Davey
I have been curious about staffs since I only use one hiking pole anyway, prefering to have one hand free to quickly grab my camera as I take many photos along the way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love my very light weight carbon z-poles. They help my balance, help my knees, made me feel secure on steep downhills (always 3 points in contact with the ground.) I used to hike with nothing, back when I was young. But now I am 71 and my body has changed and so have my needs. A caution for people like me with osteoperosis -- a fall would be very serious. I don't let that stop me from doing things, but it is good to be careful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't like the word 'staff' when applied to sticks. I would feel silly saying it. 'I've just got to get my staff.... has anybody seen my staff?' Can't do it.

Mine's about 1m70 in height -- so yes, it most certainly is a staff.

I trained with 2 poles before my 2015 SJPdP to Finisterre camino but just could not get comfortable with them. I took one pole along in the end (poncho tent support) but left it behind at La Faba by mistake. The slight back ache/twinge I'd developed over the previous week then cleared up. Could have been a coincidence but on reflection I felt the pole was probably making me twist laterally somehow. Anyway, so on subsequent distance walks I have ditched poles totally. Still sometimes take one on short forest hikes though.

In reference to the Camino Frances, unless you peel off the main path and saunter through the woods, you won't encounter any snakes not clearly visible

@Mark Lee One man did manage to get bitten by a diamondback rattlesnake in a park in Madrid recently. A neat trick considering they are not even native to Spain. Some very odd circumstances to the story:
https://www.thelocal.es/20170306/man-bitten-by-rattlesnake-in-madrid-park

I have to agree that you are very unlikely to see any snakes along the Camino Frances. I think I've seen four or five live ones in three Caminos, plus a few roadkill. And I was looking pretty hard to spot them as I find snakes and lizards fascinating creatures. The worries that people often have about them are way out of proportion to the reality.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't like the word 'staff' when applied to sticks. I would feel silly saying it. 'I've just got to get my staff.... has anybody seen my staff?' Can't do it.
ha ha...that would be pretty funny. No way could I do it either.
Gandalf had no problem with it, ha ha.

@Mark Lee One man did manage to get bitten by a diamondback rattlesnake in a park in Madrid recently. A neat trick considering they are not even native to Spain. Some very odd circumstances to the story:

I have to agree that you are very unlikely to see any snakes along the Camino Frances. I think I've seen four or five live ones in three Caminos, plus a few roadkill. And I was looking pretty hard to spot them as I find snakes and lizards fascinating creatures. The worries that people often have about them are way out of proportion to the reality.

I have seen 2 live adders, one each time I walked the Frances, small 25cm, sunning themselves in thr middle of the road. Poles are useful to toss them into side of the road so they don't become road kill...

Oh yeah, that is a 100% BS story that guy concocted in order to avoid that fine for illegal exotic pet. What's scary is how did someone sneak in a diamondback rattlesnake from the US all the way to Spain?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What's scary is how did someone sneak in a diamondback rattlesnake from the US all the way to Spain?

He would not have needed to import it from the US. There is a legal market in Europe in venomous snakes though each country has its own laws about licensing the owners, the animals themselves, and also inspecting the places where the snakes are kept. Never been interested in that myself. The laws in the UK for example are fairly strict but it only takes one or two rogue breeders willing to sell to nutcases who think it is smart to play with venomous snakes :rolleyes: Luckily it is a very small and specialised field.

In reference to the Camino Frances, unless you peel off the main path and saunter through the woods, you won't encounter any snakes not clearly visible.

Yeah, mine was a more general comment based on about 30 years of living/roaming in an area with six different types of poisonous reptiles (3 types of rattlesnake, cottonmouth, copperhead and coral snake) and a gagoodle of non-poisonous ones including a "rattlesnake impersonator" (hognose snake). Pretty much like where you live, except maybe for the coral snake.

Nevertheless, I coiled up the now deceased serpent, propped his head up as best I could and left him in the middle of the dirt path, looking like he was still alive and ready to strike.
I wonder what the reaction(s) were of the next group that came along? :rolleyes:

I just knew there was something I liked about you!! That's exactly the kind of thing I might have done (and in fact did do)!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A couple of musicians from Galicia are walking at the moment and their journey is being streamed live by a Galician TV station 12 hours each day. I've watched a few minutes now and again since they started from Roncesvalles. The male pilgrim appears to be using a huge branch as a staff - enormous thing! No idea why.
staff.jpg
http://www.destinosantiagotvg.gal/

The male pilgrim appears to be using a huge branch as a staff - enormous thing! No idea why.

I've seen many doing that -- it's a very bad idea.

Staves need to be stripped, cut to length, and dried before use -- the extra weight of the sap and bark in that sort of green wood, not to mention even if it's the right kind of wood in the first place, will simply fatigue you for very little real benefit.

Carrying a big stick around to so purpose other than to try and "look cool" is intrinsically worthless compared to the reasons why the more sensible pilgrims might use poles, a walking stick (or sticks), or a hiking staff.

Last edited:
Staves need to be stripped, cut to length, and dried before use -- the extra weight of the sap and bark in that sort of green wood, not to mention even if it's the right kind of wood in the first place, will simply fatigue you for very little real benefit.

I think if you look at the photo I posted you will see it is a very old and dry piece of wood. Not one freshly cut. Still looks ludicrously large though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think if you look at the photo I posted you will see it is a very old and dry piece of wood. Not one freshly cut. Still looks ludicrously large though.

Seems green to me -- just because the bark looks crusty doesn't indicate that the wood itself is properly dried, and the wood above the grip where a patch of bark seems to have just fallen off seems to be green de chez green. (but yes, clearly it's at least a couple of weeks old)

I do agree with you that it looks ludicrous !

Last edited:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Staff! We used the staff in many different ways. Downhills for planting, uphill for pushing. Placing the staff behind your back under your Pack takes the weight off your back and shares it with your arms.
It was great to notch off the stages too.

This argument has already been settled . In march 2015 masses of Japanese pilgrims gathered in an undisclosed location to determine the definitive answer to the perplexing problem of whether two poles are superior to one .
Unfortunately , despite their pious demeanor and best intentions the decision making process devolved into an all out brawl .
I think the single pole camp won , but I'm still not certain , faced with such a situation iIthink I would still want two !

A more fun comparison :

As for one pole or two, in a more Camino-like environment :

Last edited:
Actually, my adjustable-length hiking staff got a pretty good workout yesterday. I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery and my left (dominant) arm is immobilized in a sling-type contraption. This throws my balance off a good bit.

My lovely wife and I took a 2-hour walk in a local wilderness park. The recent heavy rains have done a lot of damage to the hillside trails (there's not a lot of flat space hereabouts), so my staff kept me from taking a tumble -- shortened when going uphill and lengthened when going downhill/cross-hill.

I could have done the same thing with my 6-foot hardwood (quarter)staff, of course, but the adjustable one is so much easier to carry/use.

When we go nature-walking, birding or sightseeing, I use the adjustable staff as a 'binocular-prop' so that I don't have to contend with shaky images. You can see the top of my shortened staff in my avatar pic. Just look at what I'm holding in my left hand.

Last edited:

I am starting in Almeria, southern Spain, in late May. Very warm, I expect, and I'm going solo. The terrain strikes me very much like my west Texas hiking experiences - kinda hilly/mountainous & desert clime. I wonder if snakes will be an issue?

I am snake-blind. (Yes, that's a thing - I am testament to it.)
Truly lucky to be alive at this point in my life, really. Ah well. I do use 2 poles. I just have to learn to see the snakes before it's too late, or the poles won't help much in that arena.

I am snake-blind. (Yes, that's a thing - I am testament to it.)
Truly lucky to be alive at this point in my life, really. Ah well. I do use 2 poles. I just have to learn to see the snakes before it's too late, or the poles won't help much in that arena.

Actually, the poles can be tremendously helpful. When you're off the beaten path, especially if you can't really see the ground very well, make sure to plant one of your poles where you're ABOUT to step. Remember, too, that snakes are tuned into vibrations in the ground. Make your pole-plants affirmative rather than hesitant.

When you're ON the beaten path, just stay toward the center and away from the snaky-bushes alongside....:D

Last edited:
Actually, the poles can be tremendously helpful. When you're off the beaten path, especially if you can't really see the ground very well, make sure to plant one of your poles where you're ABOUT to step. Remember, too, that snakes are tuned into vibrations in the ground. Make your pole-plants affirmative rather than hesitant.

And, when you're ON the beaten path, just stay toward the center and away from the snaky-bushes alongside....:D

Oh yes, I do all that. At least, I know to do all that..... but then my mind wanders.....

My (now ex-) hiking partner of 6 years was always berating me about that. I just made him walk first. He was not as head-in-the-clouds as me, and was not snake-blind. And we did have a number of encounters with angry rattlers during our times in the Sierras, especially, that he safely navigated us through.

But we all have our gifts, don't we? For example, I am not bear-blind. I fearlessly handled all the bear spotting and negotiations, while he was busy pissing himself. :D

Regardless, for the time being, I am now a solo hiker, for better or worse, in snake-y times and snake-free times.

..... but then my mind wanders.....

And that, dear lady, I cannot help you with, other than to cite the Buddhist tenet of "mindfulness" and to quote Yoda's comment from The Empire Strikes Back: "All his life he has looked away.. to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was... on what he was doing."

There is a price to be paid here.

My sincerest best wishes,

-- Glenn

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.