• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking Umbrella - Availability

Genevievala

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - 2023
hello !

I’m sold on using a trekking umbrella on the Frances this summer for the purpose of sun protection. I’d like to buy one over there and just wonder if anyone has seen them around, are they a pretty common sight these days in sporting goods shops? I was in contact with La Boutique de Pelerin in SJ but they don’t carry them.

They’re not widely seen where I live, you would likely order online. But I’d rather wait, make sure I need it and get to see it first.

thank you !

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
hello !

I’m sold on using a trekking umbrella on the Frances this summer for the purpose of sun protection. I’d like to buy one over there and just wonder if anyone has seen them around, are they a pretty common sight these days in sporting goods shops? I was in contact with La Boutique de Pelerin in SJ but they don’t carry them.

They’re not widely seen where I live, you would likely order online. But I’d rather wait, make sure I need it and get to see it first.

thank you !
Hi Genevievala, and welcome to the forum.

You may it at the forum’s store. Give it a try.

Buen Camino

I do sell this one:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and I walked the Camino Frances in 2022 and used the Euroshirm, Swing,Liteflex (three names!) extensively. We love them. On Amazon $50-$60. 6 ounces. Silver but they come in other colors. Beautifully simple design. They slid into the top of our packs easily and to deploy could be pulled out without taking the pack off. We used them for rain and sun. We stowed one or both of our hiking poles when we used the umbrellas. Most of the time the rain would come and go all day and we would open and close our umbrellas. Holding the umbrella angling back kept our packs dry. We found this routine much easier than dragging out a pack cover or poncho. In Galicia we did get ponchos for windy storms. We didn’t use attachment devices. We wanted to hold them in the direction of the sun or rain much like you would in the city. For sun use like the Meseta we stowed our hats so the breeze would blow through our hair in the shade made by the umbrellas and keep our heads way cooler. We used the single shaft type, not the new telescoping type. We also used them for going out on the town on rainy nights!

Right now on the Via Podiensis I am using the Handsfree Telescope Trekking umbrella I bought from the Forum Store. I love it! Great for rain and sun-I am using it almost every day. Stores easily on the side of my
pack. When I know I am going to use it I tuck it in the belt of my waist pack so it is ready to use without taking off my pack. I always use my poles so I need my hands free. Going into a church I just unclip from the shoulder strap and collapse the umbrella leaving the handle tie around my pack waist belt. I just hold the umbrella in front while I explore. It is easy to clip on the shoulder strap after and I am ready to go. There are clips for both shoulder straps so you can adjust for the sun. The 14 oz. weight is worth it to me for the functionality. I am really glad I bought it. Lots of interest from other pilgrims as well.

I do sell this one:
the very best of all the hands-free hiking umbrellas and with impeccable delivery service♥️

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I do sell this one:
This is an excellent umbrella, well worth the investment. It blocks out the sun and gives you shade on the long stretches, especially on the Meseta. I have used it on 5 Camino walks, and would not travel without it.

hello !

thank you !
Decathlon sell a very cheap umbrella with UV protection. It is super light weight and it has been a lifesaver in sun. It is not hands free but much cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Decathlon sell a very cheap umbrella with UV protection. It is super light weight and it has been a lifesaver in sun. It is not hands free but much cheaper.

I know of several famous American thru-hikers who have used umbrellas going back through the decades. Ray & Jenny Jardine, Pete Jenkins, and Grandma Gatewood.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do sell this one:
I used to walk with umbrella!
Gossamer Gear sells Umbrella and also a very useful handsfree Umbrella clamp https://www.gossamergear.com/products/handsfree-umbrella-clamp
The Gossamer Gear clamps didn’t work well on my pack and I had to return the umbrella. Ivar’s umbrella seems to have better clamps.

The Gossamer Gear clamps didn’t work well on my pack and I had to return the umbrella. Ivar’s umbrella seems to have better clamps.
The clips that come with the Euroschirm handsfree umbrella that @ivar sells are specifically made for the umbrella, and it's very easy to snap the umbrella onto or off the clips. But one of the main features is the extra long telescoping handle that attaches to the hip belt and increases the stability.

I've had mine since 2016 and it's still going strong. A strong wind has turned it inside out several times, but I've always been able to put it right again. I can't say the same for a lighter weight (but still expensive!) Euroschirm umbrella that I used one year. The first strong bust snapped one of the ribs. BTW, I'm pretty sure that the umbrellas sold under the Gossamer Gear, Zpacks and other brands are made by Euroschirm.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The clips that come with the Euroschirm handsfree umbrella that @ivar sells are specifically made for the umbrella, and it's very easy to snap the umbrella onto or off the clips. But one of the main features is the extra long telescoping handle that attaches to the hip belt and increases the stability.

I've had mine since 2016 and it's still going strong. A strong wind has turned it inside out several times, but I've always been able to put it right again. I can't say the same for a lighter weight (but still expensive!) Euroschirm umbrella that I used one year. The first strong bust snapped one of the ribs. BTW, I'm pretty sure that the umbrellas sold under the Gossamer Gear, Zpacks and other brands are made by Euroschirm.
But the one Ivar sells is an Euroschirm umbrella as well, isn't it? Do they have different versions?

I've had mine since 2016 and it's still going strong. A strong wind has turned it inside out several times, but I've always been able to put it right again. I can't say the same for a lighter weight (but still expensive!) Euroschirm umbrella that I used one year. The first strong bust snapped one of the ribs. BTW, I'm pretty sure that the umbrellas sold under the Gossamer Gear, Zpacks and other brands are made by Euroschirm
I'm pretty sure that the umbrellas sold under the Gossamer Gear, Zpacks and other brands are made by Euroschirm.

Hi!
I agree with trecile on both comments above.
I brought the the telescopic hands free from Ivar which worked great and was easy to adjust to fit my 6ft 2 inch height clips on easily ! (on your belt ;click and it's on)

In my mania to save weight i brought the lighter swing fixed shaft model and the Gossamer gear hands free kit for it. ( this was i found ;a pain to fit )
However not a good option for me as by the time it was on my hip belt and fitted to the G gear clamp the actual canopy was low to my head!
As i walked it flexed it became a nightmare no matter how i adjusted it.
Woody

I am a fan of bringing an umbrella. I have had good luck with a typical inexpensive umbrella I bring from home. I like that I can easily angle it in any direction I want, which works for me since I only use one pole. That said, I have never needed to hold it for more than an hour and it usually rests comfortably leaned against my backpack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But the one Ivar sells is an Euroschirm umbrella as well, isn't it? Do they have different versions?
Yes, it's a Euroschirm - they sell many different models.

It was the Light Trek Ultra that didn't stand up against the wind for me.

However not a good option for me as by the time it was on my hip belt and fitted to the G gear clamp the actual canopy was low to my head!
I'm glad someone has mentioned this. I found it a real problem with the Euroschirm if I didn't get the shafts fully extended that I had to peer out from under the canopy. I do note that the promo photos from Euroschirm all seem to show rather high-waisted individuals who are able to get the canopy well above their eyeline. That's not the reality for me.

That said, I found it a real benefit, using the umbrella in both the sun and the rain. I haven't tried other models, but the one sold by Ivar worked well for me.

Bummer, I really wish I'd bought the trekking umbrella Ivan sells here. I bought one from Zpacks...it's a good one with the silver coating, but it doesn't telescope and it sticks out of my backpack.

I also have a poncho and a tiny cheap packable umbrella.

I'm flying to Porto tomorrow and I'm doing some last minute second guessing about leaving the poncho at home. It's pretty bulky in my backpack. Any thoughts?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am a fan of bringing an umbrella. I have had good luck with a typical inexpensive umbrella I bring from home. I like that I can easily angle it in any direction I want, which works for me since I only use one pole. That said, I have never needed to hold it for more than an hour and it usually rests comfortably leaned against my backpack.
I was going to bring a big poncho, but I bought a tiny telescoping umbrella yesterday at Target and I'm leaning toward bringing it instead. The poncho takes up a lot of room in my backpack.

I always brought a lightweight rain jacket, although rarely needed to drag it out and use it. An umbrella works well most of the time, but if you happen to get a windy, sideways rain that goes on for hours, you might need more protection.

I'm glad someone has mentioned this. I found it a real problem with the Euroschirm if I didn't get the shafts fully extended that I had to peer out from under the canopy. I do note that the promo photos from Euroschirm all seem to show rather high-waisted individuals who are able to get the canopy well above their eyeline. That's not the reality for me.

That said, I found it a real benefit, using the umbrella in both the sun and the rain. I haven't tried other models, but the one sold by Ivar worked well for me.
G’Day Doug, I have had that too so, unless I have reason not to, I make sure that I extend both shafts at least some of the way and the one closest to the handle the full way ... despite some minor niggles I still♥️my Euroschirm Telescope hands-free☔

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Euroschirm produce many different models / styles of umbrella ... check out their website ... it will give you a good idea about what is available☔

@trecile it is also my understanding that Euroschirm manufacture almost all, if not all, of the different [sturdy] hiking umbrellas available incl. those sold by Six Moons Designs, Gossamer Gear, ZPacks, Hyperlite ... BUT it twould be great to get rock-solid confirmation⛈️

Last edited:
I was going to bring a big poncho, but I bought a tiny telescoping umbrella yesterday at Target and I'm leaning toward bringing it instead. The poncho takes up a lot of room in my backpack.
In my opinion an umbrella doesn't give enough protection against heavy rain. I use the umbrella much more for sun protection than rain protection.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In my opinion an umbrella doesn't give enough protection against heavy rain. I use the umbrella much more for sun protection than rain protection.
As a relative newbie to umbrella use on the camino, I found I still needed to wear rain jacket and pants when the wind drove the rain in at an angle. Walking with poles meant having the umbrella strapped between my waist band and shoulder, which resulted in a quite limited range of angles that I could achieve with the canopy. I found that really only the top of my torso was being protected. If there was rain but no wind, there was sufficient protection
G’Day Doug, I have had that too so, unless I have reason not to, I make sure that I extend both shafts at least some of the way and the one closest to the handle the full way ... despite some minor niggles I still♥️my Euroschirm Telescope hands-free☔
It appears that friction lock on the middle section, ie that engages in the top shaft, doesn't always tighten enough to stop the middle shaft from slowly sliding up into the top shaft as one is walking. I've seen the same thing happen with walking poles using friction locks when a small amount of dust gets into the shaft and the lock cannot grip and keeps turning. The internal screw mechanism is then unable to expand the lock to get it to grip within the shaft.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.