• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking umbrella

ShellsG

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept/Oct. 2015)
So after much research, angst and indecisiveness I have chosen to go with a trekking umbrella instead of rain gear for my fall Camino, specifically the Sea to Summit trekking umbrella Here are my reasons ...

1. I live on the Wet coast of Canada ... I have more than enough rain jackets already but none suitable for light travel and I can always use an extra umbrella in the car.
2. I hate getting cold from sweat and from what I have read, wearing a light fleece and layers if needed and an umbrella will keep my drier than a non-breathing rain jacket and no umbrella
3. Time is my friend and I can stop and wait out a day or two if absolutely needed.
4. If push comes to shove then I will buy a jacket along the way in Spain, but only if it becomes apparent that I will not be happy with my umbrella and it is affecting my Camino. I don't mind the rain, I mind getting cold. I spend a lot of my time in rain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, I am all in favour of taking an umbrella. (There's my umbrella tucked under my arm in my avatar.) Have you figured out how to affix your umbrella to your pack straps if you need your hands free for poles? A short while ago, there was a fun thread regarding that....... And I hope your umbrella weighs less than mine does. Buen Camino :)

I took a Sea to Summit trekking umbrella and had a gear failure - the little "nib" on the shaft that keeps the canopy extended fell out. Cannot be fixed. Expensive mistake. Next time I'm looking at a Helinox or BirdiePal if I have the money, otherwise I'll buy a cheap umbrella in Spain and replace it in the $2 shops along the way if (when?) it fails. Although I was impressed with the 14 spoke umbrellas locals were sporting in Bilbao.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I took a Sea to Summit trekking umbrella and had a gear failure - the little "nib" on the shaft that keeps the canopy extended fell out. Cannot be fixed. Expensive mistake. Next time I'm looking at a Helinox or BirdiePal if I have the money, otherwise I'll buy a cheap umbrella in Spain and replace it in the $2 shops along the way if (when?) it fails. Although I was impressed with the 14 spoke umbrellas locals were sporting in Bilbao.
Surely they would honour their equipment with a return !! I found a place locally that has a sea to summit, will check it out, otherwise will get what i need in spain. Just feels odd to not be packing any rain gear before I start.

Yes, I am all in favour of taking an umbrella. (There's my umbrella tucked under my arm in my avatar.) Have you figured out how to affix your umbrella to your pack straps if you need your hands free for poles? A short while ago, there was a fun thread regarding that....... And I hope your umbrella weighs less than mine does. Buen Camino :)
I have read the thread about how various people attach it to their packs but I am inclined to have a few options and decide when/if I hit rain. If it is flat and I can do without poles for the duration of the rain then I will just carry it, if the terrain is such that I need to use poles then I will attach it to my pack using one of the many interesting options posted. I pick it up tomorrow so need to see it before I can decide what would work.

Yes, they probably will replace it. I like a combination of umbrella and long Altus raincoat type poncho (covers pack and legs). Umbrella provided it is not too windy or cold, then I go into the Altus. They are best bought in Spain, where they are made.

Yes, they probably will replace it. I like a combination of umbrella and long Altus raincoat type poncho (covers pack and legs). Umbrella provided it is not too windy or cold, then I go into the Altus. They are best bought in Spain, where they are made.
I am really steering away from the Altus as it would have no value to me back home ... never say never but I am pretty much sure it will be never. LOL

There's really no need for a "special" umbrella.
I pick up a very sturdy stick umbrella each year in Spain for around €8

I am really steering away from the Altus as it would have no value to me back home ... never say never but I am pretty much sure it will be never. LOL

On all my Caminos, the one item I will never leave at home is my ALTUS poncho!
It has kept me dry all the way to my feet in every sort of inclement weather and served as a blanket when I've been cold. I've used it as a tarp at least one night when I chose to sleep out.
It, with my New Balance Trail Runners, is my very best friend.

Look at you! Red Macabi, yellow umbrella, fancu green Aarn! The perfect pilgrim gear

Question about the Sea to Summit umbrela: I went to look at it here before my last Camino and could not understand what made it different than other regular umbrellas. I ended up buying one in a grocery store en route. Longer shaft to secure it to the pack? Weight is nothing to write home about....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes for sure I have heard plenty of praises for the might Altus .... it ranks high on the list of many forum members, it has not gone un noticed by me

Look at you! Red Macabi, yellow umbrella, fancu green Aarn! The perfect pilgrim gear

Question about the Sea to Summit umbrela: I went to look at it here before my last Camino and could not understand what made it different than other regular umbrellas. I ended up buying one in a grocery store en route. Longer shaft to secure it to the pack? Weight is nothing to write home about....

I will just have to go look at it, get it into my hands before I know if it is the one I want ... Sea to Summit makes a couple of different ones so for me it will come down to weight, size and how compact it becomes. My research is that they are supposed to take the wind better than a normal umbrella because of the materials and the construction .... I will have to see.

Its the idea of an umbrella, no matter the source, that appeals to me over and above specific rain gear.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Sea to Summit blows inside out and the ribs just spring back. So good for that. For a trekking umbrella, if you want to use it hands free, you also need it to have a fabric loop, preferably elastic, on the bottom of the handle. That allows it to be secured to your pack waist. I'd now elect to have one with a longer shaft than the S to S - this one did press against my head.

I use a German made umbrella sold by Eberhard Goeb, it's a dual purpose sun and rain, hands free with a nice long handle served me well.

Zzotte

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sun, rain and wind it's no match to my trusty German umbrella and its hand free too SAY NO TO PONCHOS, just try putting a poncho on by yourself the one that cover the pack on a windy day :) hahaha

Zzotte

Sun, rain and wind it's no match to my trusty German umbrella and its hand free too SAY NO TO PONCHOS, just try putting a poncho on by yourself the one that cover the pack on a windy day :) hahaha

Zzotte
What brand is your umbrella Zzotte?? Probably can't buy it here in Canada but never hurts to look

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I love umbrellas for both sun & rain.
The problem in my experience on the Camino with rain is that it usually comes with strong wind/gusts that make the umbrella nearly impossible to use.
I am speaking from experience on several Caminos.

My umbrella regularly flipped inside out, but was easy to flip back again.

It also had a second function. On the Norte there is quite a bit of road walking. They are minor backroads, but there is still the occasional car. My brilliant bright orange umbrella was as good as waving a "caution" flag.

Trek makes an umbrella that weighs under 8 oz. It collapses small, but is a decent size when open.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
ShellsG, the umbrella is German made and it's sold online by Eberhard Goeb, On a driven rain I just pointed in the direction of the rain and never had a flip out I love the hands free option I had a lot of comments about my umbrella all good :) if you ever worn a Altus like rain gear you will appreciate staying dry inside. My umbrella is silver in the outside so works really nice in hot sunny days too.

Zzotte

ShellsG, the umbrella is German made and it's sold online by Eberhard Goeb, On a driven rain I just pointed in the direction of the rain and never had a flip out I love the hands free option I had a lot of comments about my umbrella all good :) if you ever worn a Altus like rain gear you will appreciate staying dry inside. My umbrella is silver in the outside so works really nice in hot sunny days too.

Zzotte
Those look like amazing umbrellas, I don't have time to order one unfortunately. I have had a hard time finding on I like here.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Senz umbrella is pretty good in windy conditions. Only one I know of that uses different shape to resist being blown inside out, rather than just strengthening the frame.

Hi all. I used a Euroschrim hiking umbrella on my Camino from Geneva to Finisterra. It proved indispensable. In the rain in the middle of nowhere I could sit and have lunch (sitting on a strip of bubble wrap I carried). On the Meseta in June I could of sold hundreds of them! Get the silver one though for hot weather. Mine never blew inside out in windy conditions, I just altered the angle into the wind. It was so good I gave away my gortex jacket. It may make me look like an idiot but no change there then.

Davey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How did that Totes umbrella work out for you? I have just received mine from Amazon.
I love it ! But I bought it thinking I would likely use it more for sun protection, rather than rain -- and then hardly used it at all. Just didn't need it. Fair weather graced both my Caminos, almost every day. Won't take it with my on Camino Number 3.

I have an all-weather REI windbreaker and an all weather REI ball cap (with foreign-legion flap) that have served all my needs, and I will rely upon them for Camino Number 3.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.