• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tren hotel from Santiago to Madrid

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I have been taking the overnight train from Santiago to Madrid my last few Camino's. I just checked the RENFE site and could not find the Tren Hotel overnight train. Am I missing something or has this train been discontinued?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just checked RENFE and there are no trains as you say. But when I entered A Coruna as the starting point there was a Trenhotel train on 17/3/16. I think there is just the usual delay in loading the tickets. i cannot access the tTrenhotel's route on their website but A Coruna is the starting point with SdC the next stop I seem to recall, so just keep checking in.

The Trenhotel schedule is often updated quite late. We have seen that particular train updated on the schedule only 3 weeks in advance of dates of travel. Its a low priority for Renfe.

You're not missing anything ... you're probably just looking too early.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Trenhotel schedule is often updated quite late. We have seen that particular train updated on the schedule only 3 weeks in advance of dates of travel. Its a low priority for Renfe.

You're not missing anything ... you're probably just looking too early.

I would normally agree with this assessment. That said, I tried February dates and could not find any overnight trains.

I think I have solved my issue. There is a train from Santiago to A Coruna and then the Tren Hotel to Madrid. Thanks for your feedback.

Joe

I guess we'll have to keep an eye on this one. I'm wondering if they cancelled the Santiago run with the intention of getting people to take the train from A Coruna (via Sarria).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The overnight train from Madrid to Galicia had 3 branches:

• One went to Ferrol through León and Lugo and was dettached from the other two branches in Medina del Campo.
  • Another one went to A Coruña through Zamora, Ourense and Santiago de Compostela and was dettached from the branch I'll quote below in Ourense.
  • The other one went to Vigo and Pontevedra through Zamora and Ourense.
Since February 1st, the train has just two branches:

• One goes to Ferrol through Lugo and A Coruña.
  • The other one goes to Pontevedra through Ourense and Vigo.
In other words, there isn't anymore a non-stop overnight train from Madrid to Santiago de Compostela (and v.v.). In addition, all the branches of the current overnight train go through León (i.e.: no branch of the overnight train going through Zamora anymore).

The overnight train from Madrid to Galicia had 3 branches:

• One went to Ferrol through León and Lugo and was dettached from the other two branches in Medina del Campo.
  • Another one went to A Coruña through Zamora, Ourense and Santiago de Compostela and was dettached from the branch I'll quote below in Ourense.
  • The other one went to Vigo and Pontevedra through Zamora and Ourense.
Since February 1st, the train has just two branches:

• One goes to Ferrol through Lugo and A Coruña.
  • The other one goes to Pontevedra through Ourense and Vigo.
In other words, there isn't anymore a non-stop overnight train from Madrid to Santiago de Compostela (and v.v.). In addition, all the branches of the current overnight train go through León (i.e.: no branch of the overnight train going through Zamora anymore).

Castilian:

Thank you for this post.

The changes made to this train have added 2.5 hours to the trip and the need to transfer in A Coruna. That said, I can still get an overnight sleeper.

I will probably at least look into alternative options. The previous Tren Hotel route had been perfect for my schedule. I can still take a train but the night before and get a hotel room near airport or fly into Madrid that morning.

So many choices.

Joe

Castilian:

Thank you for this post.

The changes made to this train have added 2.5 hours to the trip and the need to transfer in A Coruna. That said, I can still get an overnight sleeper.

I will probably at least look into alternative options. The previous Tren Hotel route had been perfect for my schedule. I can still take a train but the night before and get a hotel room near airport or fly into Madrid that morning.

So many choices.

Joe

You can also catch the train at Ourense ... which may or may not be more convenient than A Coruna.

I think the 0925 arrival in Madrid is going to be a show stopper for a lot of people.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Before I throw my IPad in frustration across the room, cam someone please fell me how I can book a bed on the Trenhotel? I find all sorts of info, linkes when I Google, but then whenI try to book on those sites they show mw regular trains, not the Trenhotel. :mad::(:eek:o_O.

All I need is a link to the page where one can book a bed, on any web site.

@whariwharangi , you have never left a traveller in a lirch, here is to you working your magic!

Thank you very much!

Before I throw my IPad in frustration across the room, cam someone please fell me how I can book a bed on the Trenhotel? I find all sorts of info, linkes when I Google, but then whenI try to book on those sites they show mw regular trains, not the Trenhotel. :mad::(:eek:o_O.

All I need is a link to the page where one can book a bed, on any web site.

@whariwharangi , you have never left a traveller in a lirch, here is to you working your magic!

Thank you very much!

From where to where and when?

Renfe no longer provides Trenhotel service from Santiago. You can catch Trenhotel from A Coruna or from Vigo (at Ourense).

Renfe sales point Canada:
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/viajes_internacionales/puntosventa_internacional.html

CANADA
ACP
8375, rue Bougainville, suite 100
MONTREAL

• telefono.png
    Teléfono : +1 514 733-9865
  • email.png
    e-Mail : info@acprail.com
  • web.png
    Web: http://www.acprail.com

A Coruna to Madrid. Apparently There are a number of trains from Santiago to A Coruna take take about 30 minutes. I can live with that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It won't let me. Did you try?

Using 13 April, I could get Renfe site to show ticket for trenhotel from A Coruña to Madrid. I didn't enter credit card info or paypal info.

I would recommend buying the ticket direct from Renfe if you can get it to accept your credit card or paypal account.

I could get the ACP site to show ticket for trenhotel from Ourense-Empalme to Madrid.

I could not get ACP site to show ticket for either of A Coruña to Madrid or Santiago to Ourense. I couldn't get the site to recognize A Coruña at all. If you want to buy the tickets via ACP ... I would suggest contacting ACP.

I can't help further; I'm not a travel agent nor do I represent Renfe in any way.

Apologies Anemone del Camino if you have already got this far and I am telling you what you know. I use the RENFE direct site and click on 'Welcome' (rather than Wilkommen etc.) so the language is English. After entering place of departure, arrival and date, click on 'opciones' or 'options' that will take you to the next page where you click on 'Clase' this prompts drop down boxes with choice of seats or different classes of beds. Click on your choice and then you will be asked for gender etc. I always pay with Paypal and have had no problems. I did a trial run through for early May and it was okay. Good luck!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Using 13 April, I could get Renfe site to show ticket for trenhotel from A Coruña to Madrid. I didn't enter credit card info or paypal info.

I would recommend buying the ticket direct from Renfe if you can get it to accept your credit card or paypal account.

I could get the ACP site to show ticket for trenhotel from Ourense-Empalme to Madrid.

I could not get ACP site to show ticket for either of A Coruña to Madrid or Santiago to Ourense. I couldn't get the site to recognize A Coruña at all. If you want to buy the tickets via ACP ...sit I would suggest contacting ACP.

I can't help further; I'm not a travel agent nor do I represent Renfe in any way.
At least now I know I as not doing something wrong woth these websites. I will try RENFE site with more patience. This being said, I may have to pick your brain again once I try RENFE :D.

I tried April 13th and then played with The "The Price is Right" date wheel and found beds until The 27th but nothing foe The 28th. Rats! I will just call them and see what then have to say. Good old phone!

Apologies Anemone del Camino if you have already got this far and I am telling you what you know. I use the RENFE direct site and click on 'Welcome' (rather than Wilkommen etc.) so the language is English. After entering place of departure, arrival and date, click on 'opciones' or 'options' that will take you to the next page where you click on 'Clase' this prompts drop down boxes with choice of seats or different classes of beds. Click on your choice and then you will be asked for gender etc. I always pay with Paypal and have had no problems. I did a trial run through for early May and it was okay. Good luck!
Option does not even open as the website claims There are no trains from A Coruna on that date, which cannot be. No trains at please?! Wrong!;)

Try this website address with the search terms you want already entered: https://venta.renfe.com/vol/search.do I found a tourist class bed for 81 euros. Beware that sometimes the RENFE site is very slow to respond and you cannot access train information until it has loaded station names, what I mean by this is, for example, that when I first typed in 'A Coruna' their system didn't function and the message displayed was that this was an invalid destination, I had to wait a while to be able to click 'A Coruna' on the drop down box. At busy times it seems to take an age before their drop down boxes become active.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Try this website address with the search terms you want already entered: https://venta.renfe.com/vol/search.do I found a tourist class bed for 81 euros. Beware that sometimes the RENFE site is very slow to respond and you cannot access train information until it has loaded station names, what I mean by this is, for example, that when I first typed in 'A Coruna' their system didn't function and the message displayed was that this was an invalid destination, I had to wait a while to be able to click 'A Coruna' on the drop down box. At busy times it seems to take an age before their drop down boxes become active.
Unfortunately I just read your post now and The session expired. I tried again with The 28th and zip, nothing, nada. You may have to buy The ticket for me ;).

Happy to do that for you, just send me a pm with the date of your travel and preference for type of bed etc.

You mentioned earlier the date 28th but I couldn't see a month. If it is the 28th May then there is a strong possibility that no trains run because it is a Saturday to Sunday service. I have tried several Saturday dates for this Trenhotel and receive the message that no trains are running on this route on that date. I have just tried again and got the same response, so conclude no Saturday night service.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Happy to do that for you, just send me a pm with the date of your travel and preference for type of bed etc.
You mentioned earlier the date 28th but I couldn't see a month. If it is the 28th May then there is a strong possibility that no trains run because it is a Saturday to Sunday service. I have tried several Saturday dates for this Trenhotel and receive the message that no trains are running on this route on that date. I have just tried again and got the same response, so conclude no Saturday night service.
Urge... If only they said something. For The 29th is says "blocked train" o_O

Keep in mind Renfe updates the schedule about 30 days in advance. Sometimes its less. We've seen Trenhotel updated less than 3 weeks in advance of someone's travel dates. That may be why you are having problems. I guess the majority of customers aren't seeking bookings as far in advance as we pilgrims.

The cusp times for changes to schedules seem to be major holidays ... and the 'Semana Santa' just ended.

Keep in mind Renfe updates the schedule about 30 days in advance. Sometimes its less. We've seen Trenhotel updated less than 3 weeks in advance of someone's travel dates. That may be why you are having problems. I guess the majority of customers aren't seeking bookings as far in advance as we pilgrims.

The cusp times for changes to schedules seem to be major holidays ... and the 'Semana Santa' just ended.
Alas, There are beds starting again on The 30th, it's just The 28th and 29th that don't show service. Just my luck.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
By then a flight Will cost me am arm and a leg and I won't find a good bed In Santiago ... Time to bite The bullet!

I would suggest that if you can afford to fly from QC to walk the camino you can afford a room for a night in Santiago or take an earlier train to Madrid and get a room there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would suggest that if you can afford to fly from QC to walk the camino you can afford a room for a night in Santiago or take an earlier train to Madrid and get a up room there.
The trenhotel is not a mater but of wasted time sleeping while not in the move: I am trying to maximise my days waking you see. Why spend a night in Santiago just to wake up at 4 am In The morning to catch a flight at 7 to Madrid and arrive there tired making my last day, and my only days of Madrid exploration more difficult due to,a short night.

What I think is a waist is booking flight and hotel In Santiago only to cacel if the train decided to run, or purchassing a flight at a much higher cost by booking it last minute.

You see, I'm a fundraiser, my long working hours are spent raising money for health and education, sectors where The need is great, so waisting money irks me.

Just like I cringe when I keep reading on The forum that people should just buy their poles on arrival and leave them behind when they are done In Santiago as to not have to pay for sending them In The hold. What a lack of respect for The environment.

Why spend a night in Santiago just to wake up at 4 am In The morning to catch a flight at 7 to Madrid and arrive there tired making my last day, and my only days of Madrid exploration more difficult due to,a short night.

Take a train at 3PM arrive Madrid 9PM. Get a hotel. Then you have full day rested to explore Madrid ...

Besides which the cabin on the Trenhotel isn't exactly a cheaper option.

Or - if you have the stamina - take the overnight ALSA bus from SdC leaving at 9.30pm arriving Madrid Barajas Airport T4 at 7.00am. Costs 46.39 euros. Having carefully read your previous post I realised that you intend to visit Madrid and not just go directly to the airport. This bus stops in Madrid city before the airport.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While the train's accommodation is pricey, I found it very comfortable and when I took it about 8 years ago, it delivered me to Madrid in time for a brief visit. It was a bit too tight for a same-day connexion for my flight but I was able to stock up on cheese and CDs for presents, so it was all worthwhile. In 2002 I t00k the overnight ALSA bus and it was nightmarish as we had an ancient coach (the only time I was ever poorly served on ALSA, whose coaches are better than anything I have ever seen in North America), I was sitting right by the overhead light, and my seatmate, to whom I had never been introduced, rested her head on my shoulder while sleeping, drooling from time to time.

Take a train at 3PM arrive Madrid 9PM. Get a hotel. Then you have full day rested to explore Madrid ...

Besides which the cabin on the Trenhotel isn't exactly a cheaper option.
81€ for a bed, transport and no wasted time I like. A 3pm bus is a waste of an afternoon and evening.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back