• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trenhotel Barcelona-A Coruna

Time of past OR future Camino
2 Camino Frances, next: April 2020 Primitivo
Hello 🙋‍♀️
I can't understand trenhotel cabin booking terms, would appreciate a little help here.
I wish to book a trenhotel sleep cabin for only one person. If I book a "2-bed sleeper single first class berth" for one person, will there come some stranger too? Should I book it for two and pay for two?
I asked this from Renfe but the answer did not clear the question at all: "You can only select a single cabin. If you select a two-cabin, you should pay for two beds." - Ok, but will I have the cabin alone? 😃

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a simple solution here. Book the cabin for you and a friend, but don't take the friend with you.....

If you book both beds in a single (2 bed) cabin you are guaranteed to have the cabin to yourself. If you book only one bed then there is a possibility that someone else will book the other bed. This is unlikely because RENFE expect you to book and pay for two beds in a two bed cabin even if your intention is to only sleep in one of them.

The information in the web is certainly a bit confusing. I have never travelled in this train but, apparently, there are both single cabins (1 bed) and double cabins (2 beds). If a double cabin is booked, the 2 beds should be paid for (as from the reply that RENFE has sent to you). I‘d be surprised that there is the possibility to actually book just a bed in a double cabin. Maybe Tincatinker has further experience/ knowledge about this option, I don’t.

Finally, it might be useful to bear in mind that only those options that are still available for the selected dates are the ones which appear in the scroll menu. Nevertheless, there may still be constraints that must be met in order to purchase the ticket (in this case, 2 beds should be paid in order to book a double cabin). Different dates (if you can accommodate that flexibility) may show you a broader range of options.
Hope it helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello 🙋‍♀️
I can't understand trenhotel cabin booking terms, would appreciate a little help here.
I wish to book a trenhotel sleep cabin for only one person. If I book a "2-bed sleeper single first class berth" for one person, will there come some stranger too? Should I book it for two and pay for two?
I asked this from Renfe but the answer did not clear the question at all: "You can only select a single cabin. If you select a two-cabin, you should pay for two beds." - Ok, but will I have the cabin alone? 😃

Google ‘the man in seat 61’ a superb English-language guide to train travel (pretty much) worldwide and look at the detail on there.

OK the page I’ve referenced is a different route - if you want to find the right one you can - but it’s clear you have the cabin to yourself.

There is a simple solution here. Book the cabin for you and a friend, but don't take the friend with you.....

If you book both beds in a single (2 bed) cabin you are guaranteed to have the cabin to yourself. If you book only one bed then there is a possibility that someone else will book the other bed. This is unlikely because RENFE expect you to book and pay for two beds in a two bed cabin even if your intention is to only sleep in one of them.

Thank you! 👍 Finally a clear answer 😊
Since there aren't cabins with only one bed, I will book and pay for two and go alone.

Thank you! 👍 Finally a clear answer 😊
Since there aren't cabins with only one bed, I will book and pay for two and go alone.

Tinca is, as always, clear - but on this occasion I don’t think he’s correct.

Out of an abundance of caution, and if the absolute certainty is worth the cost, do as you want - it’s your money.

If, however, you follow the link I posted earlier I think you’ll find that you only need to pay for one place in a first-class sleeper cabin to have it for your sole use.

Feel free to ignore the question - but I assume you’re not planning on staying in shared accommodation whilst in the Camino? That’s my choice also, so I’m not being judgemental.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Out of an abundance of caution, and if the absolute certainty is worth the cost, do as you want - it’s your money.

If, however, you follow the link I posted earlier I think you’ll find that you only need to pay for one place in a first-class sleeper cabin to have it for your sole use.

Feel free to ignore the question - but I assume you’re not planning on staying in shared accommodation whilst in the Camino? That’s my choice also, so I’m not being judgemental.

Ok, Thank you! This makes it even more clear 😊👍
Sorry to disappoint you: I like and plan to stay in albergues, I'm only travelling there alone because nobody is willing to come with me. But in a tiny trenhotel cabin I can't imagine being with a stranger. I travelled in one last April with my friend, so I know how luxury "big" they are 😉

Sorry to disappoint you: I like and plan to stay in albergues, I'm only travelling there alone because nobody is willing to come with me. But in a tiny trenhotel cabin I can't imagine being with a stranger. I travelled in one last April with my friend, so I know how luxury "big" they are 😉

Last year I travelled ‘trenhotel’ Madrid to Coruna in a 4-berth. English public schools and rugby changing rooms deal with any privacy hang-ups at an early age, but my three Spanish companions did no more than take their shoes off and lie down fully clothed.

Three trenhotels depart from Madrid Chamartin within 15 minutes of each other as the last trains of the day. Unfortunately they leave from adjacent platforms.

One of my companions was on the correct bunk, in the correct compartment, but on the wrong train. The train manager checked tickets about a half hour after departure and the luckless traveller was hoofed off at the next stop, one of those platforms in the middle of nowhere.

It did break the ice and I and the remaining two Spaniards chortled our way to Coruna.

I don’t pretend to be a nice person.

Last edited:
You will not have a stranger in your sleeper! When you book on Renfe or Loco2 they will ask you are you booking for one or two persons. When you enter one, you will pay a premium price (but nowhere near booking for two). The cabin is yours!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you, and, after 45 minutes on RENFE's website & 10 on themaninseat61 I'm not entirely sure that I was correct either. Though I can get a cheaper overall cost for booking one bed rather than two, the one-bed whole cabin resolution is not available if I try and make an actual booking.

Faced with the OP's situation I think I would fly ;)

I've stayed in 2- and 4-bed cabins on other trains in Europe and had other travelers of the same gender in the berths without problem. The noise of the train quieted sounds from anyone, and everyone was always kind and respectful. Much easier for me to sleep than in mixed-dorm albergues!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will not have a stranger in your sleeper! When you book on Renfe or Loco2 they will ask you are you booking for one or two persons. When you enter one, you will pay a premium price (but nowhere near booking for two). The cabin is yours!
This is what I gathered from reading the Seat 61 site.

The trenhotel "dorms" are single sex. You may be alone, but you may have same-sex companions.

Yes, that’s correct. If you book one place in a 4-berth you will share with up to three others of the same gender.

If you want to share with others of different gender (known to you, not strangers!) you must book all 4 of a 4-berth or both of a 2-berth and all must be on the same booking.

I maintain - although I’m not expecting to (or indeed trying to) convince anyone - that you will get a 2-berth to yourself by booking one place which, as I think Tincatinker has found costs more per-berth than each berth in a 2-berth would were one to book both.

Even I’m not sure that the grammar in my last sentence makes sense.

Anyway - so far as the original poster is concerned - she is content to book both berths in a 2-berth for the absolute certainty that brings. Given that the RENFE site is not explicit, I quite understand why she would do that, but I would not.

(trecile and Picesman1946 - thanks!)

Goodnight all.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back