• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tres Cantos Accommodation Options?

Sara_Dhooma

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (14), Portuguese (15), Le Puy (17), Ingles (17), VDLP (18), Lana (18), Madrid (19) + more
Hello,

I will probably be in Tres Cantos on Tuesday. The albergue has been closed temporarily since July 2019.
Does anyone know if it is now open?

The Tres Cantos Hostal is booked full. 😬

I may need to lug my tent for this Camino.... 😬

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am interested in this thread too. There doesn't seem to be many cost-effective options in this town. I was thinking I would have a look at booking.com. Buen camino, Mel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I realize that it sounds a bit odd on a camino (and very "un-camino like"), but I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Tres Cantos. Fairly decent hotel, although it obviously costs much more than you would pay for an albergue.

Whatever works @Doogman ! I have had a look at the Holiday Inn on booking.com and it seems to be pretty comparable to the other accommodation on offer in Tres Cantos. It is just an expensive but nice, option for a solo walker! ;-)

Hello,

I will probably be in Tres Cantos on Tuesday. The albergue has been closed temporarily since July 2019.

Hi, Sara,

If you are not a purist you could either shorten your first day from Madrid by starting at Plaza de Castilla or even take a Cercanias to Tres Cantos. Colmenar Viejo is just a short but beautiful walk from it and with cheaper overnight options.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've decided to stay at a Madrid hostel beside Sol station. Looks like the C4 Cercanias Train to/from Tres Cantos runs frequently and only takes 30 minutes.

I did see an inexpensive Tres Cantos Air B&B room listed, but the check-in time was 9:00 pm and that is way too late for me! Especially with jet lag. :p

Hello Sara,
Have you decided not to do the Bibbulmun?

Hello,

I stayed at VP Jardin on 26th September and next night in Manzanares I met an American couple who found Tres Cantos fully booked. Their solution was to taxi to Manzanares, book two nights in La Pedriza, taxi back next morning to Tres Cantos and then walk it. Don't know if this is any help.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed at VP Jardín- but it would have been easy (and cheaper) to take the train back to Madrid after walking that leg.

I've decided to stay at a Madrid hostel beside Sol station. Looks like the C4 Cercanias Train to/from Tres Cantos runs frequently and only takes 30 minutes.

I did see an inexpensive Tres Cantos Air B&B room listed, but the check-in time was 9:00 pm and that is way too late for me! Especially with jet lag. :p
Yes C4 is the one from Puerta del Sol. Easy Peasy. I think it's a good choice to return back to Madrid instead of pushing on that first day. A lot of tarmac too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’ll get on my “leaving Madrid” soapbox to say that though Kinky is right when he says there is some tarmac, the exit from the city of Madrid is painless and not industrial at all. From the Plaza Castilla, you do a short stint on the Castellana, then dip under the M-40 (30?) and are on pathways and in the country. Great views back to the Madrid skyline. There is no “parque industrial”, it is an abrupt and very nice transition. Then you do hit some asphalt because you will be on the bike path that goes as far as Soto del Real, which is beyond Tres Cantos.

Those observations don’t change the reality, though, that Tres Cantos has no albergue. How about starting in Guadalajara like @Nuala did? https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...amino-de-madrid-information-stages-etc.63411/

Or, as someone else suggested, walk the in-town Madrid from the church to the Plaza Castilla on day 1 (a VERY nice in-city walk, btw) (good for arrival day, getting over jet lag, etc), and then day 2 Plaza Castilla to Colmenar el Viejo, where there is no albergue but cheaper options.

Had same experience in June this year. I decided to walk on and got a room in Colmenar Viejo at Gran Hostal el Chiscon. If you can walk 36km on your first day you'll be rewarded with a great bar stocking a range of European beers - 2 mins from the hotel. :cool:

Although our albergue is of donative; while the City Council of Tres Cantos is closed, we offer pilgrims the option of sleeping two nights. To do this when arriving at Tres Cantos you can travel on a bus to Manzanares el Real and sleep here, and the next day take the bus again to Tres Cantos and walk to Manzanares to go back to sleep in La Encomienda. https://www.rayyrosa.com/casa-de-acogida-la-encomienda-de-rayyrosa

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Sara,
Have you decided not to do the Bibbulmun?

It won’t happen this year sadly! I was going to use my airline points to fly to Australia, but they recently changed their redemption rules. So I will walk it in 2020 instead!

Although our albergue is of donative; while the City Council of Tres Cantos is closed, we offer pilgrims the option of sleeping two nights. To do this when arriving at Tres Cantos you can travel on a bus to Manzanares el Real and sleep here, and the next day take the bus again to Tres Cantos and walk to Manzanares to go back to sleep in La Encomienda. https://www.rayyrosa.com/casa-de-acogida-la-encomienda-de-rayyrosa

Ray and Rosa have an absolutely wonderful Albergue and I would have chosen this option instead! They have a very special place with everything a pilgrim needs!
Also, don’t miss visiting the delightful Manzanares el Real castle (free admission!).

I highly suggest this option over returning to Madrid.

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back