• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Tres Cantos -- camino goes past town not into it -- and more, on Camino de Madrid

staucher

Camino junky
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Via de la Plata
Portuguese
Primitivo
Hi fellow pilgrims,

Not sure if this topic has been discussed here. I started walking the Camino de Madrid today, and am staying overnight at the Acogida en la Parroquia de Santa Teresa de Jesus in Tres Cantos. I'm the only pilgrim here, and haven't met any other pilgrims today. Nice place here, and the padre is very welcoming. What I hadn't realized is that the Camino de Santiago does not pass through Tres Cantos. When you reach the town where that large hotel Madrid foro is across from you, you have to deviate from the Camino to the right over the autovia, past the train station and walk into town. If you just follow the yellow arrows of the camino expecting them to lead you into town, you will bypass the town and have to backtrack back up the hill to be able to cross over the highway into Tres Cantos. Just a heads up for anyone planning to walk the Madrid camino.

Also, watch those arrows closely coming out of Madrid. I got lost after that second hospital (after Plaza Castilla), but was able to orient myself looking at the maps posted at bus stops. I started walking before sunrise, and some of the faded yellow arrows were hard to see in the low light coming out of Madrid. Eventually, I rejoined the Camino, and then the arrows were easy to follow once out of Madrid.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi fellow pilgrims,

Not sure if this topic has been discussed here. I started walking the Camino de Madrid today, and am staying overnight at the Acogida en la Parroquia de Santa Teresa de Jesus in Tres Cantos. I'm the only pilgrim here, and haven't met any other pilgrims today. Nice place here, and the padre is very welcoming. What I hadn't realized is that the Camino de Santiago does not pass through Tres Cantos. When you reach the town where that large hotel Madrid foro is across from you, you have to deviate from the Camino to the right over the autovia, past the train station and walk into town. If you just follow the yellow arrows of the camino expecting them to lead you into town, you will bypass the town and have to backtrack back up the hill to be able to cross over the highway into Tres Cantos. Just a heads up for anyone planning to walk the Madrid camino.

Also, watch those arrows closely coming out of Madrid. I got lost after that second hospital (after Plaza Castilla), but was able to orient myself looking at the maps posted at bus stops. I started walking before sunrise, and some of the faded yellow arrows were hard to see in the low light coming out of Madrid. Eventually, I rejoined the Camino, and then the arrows were easy to follow once out of Madrid.
I walked this route last Fall and the arrows could definitely use a touching up in Madrid.

The Camino passes Tres Cantos but it is very visible just across the highway. The walkway is right by, what used to be, The Hotel Europa.

This Camino is like a mini Frances, imo. mountains early then forest followed by Meseta and connecting with the Frances in Sahagun. No worries about transport to SJPdP. Just take Cercanias train from airport to Chamartin station and start walking.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hope you will give us a few more reminders as you continue along your way.
Here’s another voice hoping you will keep us posted as you walk, @staucher.

staying overnight at the Acogida en la Parroquia de Santa Teresa de Jesus in Tres Cantos.

I don’t think any forum member has reported staying in the parroquia in Tres Cantos. I haven’t heard about whether the municipal albergue will ever reopen, so it’s great that there is a pilgrim option there.

And btw, @staucher, I see the temps are still pretty high and there are a lot of shadless stretches on this Camino. Hope you tolerate the heat well, stay safe!

Here’s another voice hoping you will keep us posted as you walk, @staucher.

I don’t think any forum member has reported staying in the parroquia in Tres Cantos. I haven’t heard about whether the municipal albergue will ever reopen, so it’s great that there is a pilgrim option there.

And btw, @staucher, I see the temps are still pretty high and there are a lot of shadless stretches on this Camino. Hope you tolerate the heat well, stay safe!
So far, the Madrid camino has had a few unfortunate surprises. This morning, I departed Tres Cantos and headed to Colmenar Viejo with no problems. After a stop at the beautiful church there, I continued to follow the yellow arrows out of town. I followed the Santiago camino out of Colemenar Viejo in a westerly direction for about 5 km or so until I reached a road. Here, I think, is where things got screwed up. There was a yellow arrow pointing to the left, which directed me through some challenging terrain with a river below. After about 4 hours of exhausting ups and downs, a path led to a village in the distance. The name of the town was Colmenar Viejo, exactly where I had started 4 hours previously. There is apparently a circle route which starts and ends in Colmenar Viejo, which uses yellow arrows to guide you, exactly the Compostela arrows.....Fortunately, bus 724 bus runs from Colmenar Viejo to Manzanares el Real. By then, I was so frustrated and tired that I just took the bus. Colmenar Viejo doesn't have any affordable lodging options.

The second issue today was with the albergue listed in gronze as Acogida de peregrinos La Encomienda in Manzanares with no address. A few days ago, I emailed them to inquire about availability, and received no response. I tried calling their number a few times with no answer. I'm crashing at the Hostal La Pedreza in the center of Manzarales. The dorm is a bit more expensive at 22 Euros, but at least it's available.

The second issue today was with the albergue listed in gronze as Acogida de peregrinos La Encomienda in Manzanares with no address. A few days ago, I emailed them to inquire about availability, and received no response. I tried calling their number a few times with no answer.
This is too late for you, but the same thing happened to @jpflavin1 last September. He had emailed and had called a few times. Same as you, no answer. I suggested he try a WhatsApp and he got a response within minutes. They live a few kms out of the center of town and come down to pick you up.

I am sorry to hear about your day, @staucher, but I hope you have been able to recoup and hopefully had time to visit Manzanares’ castle, it is quite the place!

p.s. I’m assuming you have chosen not to carry GPS tracks, but you might want to take a look. The Madrid is basically well marked, but problems like this can really mess with your day. Buen camino and ánimo!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is too late for you, but the same thing happened to @jpflavin1 last September. He had emailed and had called a few times. Same as you, no answer. I suggested he try a WhatsApp and he got a response within minutes. They live a few kms out of the center of town and come down to pick you up.

I am sorry to hear about your day, @staucher, but I hope you have been able to recoup and hopefully had time to visit Manzanares’ castle, it is quite the place!

p.s. I’m assuming you have chosen not to carry GPS tracks, but you might want to take a look. The Madrid is basically well marked, but problems like this can really mess with your day. Buen camino and ánimo!
It's strange that that albergue lists a phone number, but no one ever answers.....That circular route between Colmenar Viejo and Manzanares is what pilgrims should be aware of. I was just following the yellow arrows as I always do, and had no idea about this alternate hike to nowhere. I saw nothing to give me any indication that it was anything other than the Camino de Santiago with the yellow arrows. The terrain was extremely challenging, and it was hot today.

Hi fellow pilgrims,

Thanks, good to know. We are starting the Madrid from Tres Cantos Sunday. ,

It's strange that that albergue lists a phone number, but no one ever answers...
You need the phone number to send a WhatsApp message. It’s an app that is used by more than 90 % of Spaniards with smart phones. I know of several other places on different caminos (Invierno, Olvidado) where the owners do not answer phone calls, just respond to whatsapp messages. I know some people don’t like to use it, because it is owned by Facebook/Meta, but I have found it to be irresistible because it is so convenient. And it leaves you with a text message record of what your reservation is and other details.

Hoping your day tomorrow is a good one, and that the next day’s “etapa reina” over the Guadarrama from Cercedilla is glorious!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks, good to know. We are starting the Madrid from Tres Cantos Sunday. ,
The walk out of Tres Cantos is fine. Just walk from the train station to the Madrid Foro hotel next to the autovia. There's an overpass crossing the highway, and then you will see the yellow arrows. The church in Colmenar Viejo is stunning (you can get a stamp in your credential there as well), and there are currently festivities in honor of the patroness of the city, the Virgin de los Remedios. I arrived right as a procession was beginning and stayed for the solemn Mass afterwards.

Hi fellow pilgrims,

If you keep on the RHS of the road after Plaza Castilla you are less likely to get lost. We did, right after that second hospital and had to use Google maps to get back on the camino.

So far, the Madrid camino has had a few unfortunate surprises. This morning, I departed Tres Cantos and headed to Colmenar Viejo with no problems. After a stop at the beautiful church there, I continued to follow the yellow arrows out of town. I followed the Santiago camino out of Colemenar Viejo in a westerly direction for about 5 km or so until I reached a road. Here, I think, is where things got screwed up. There was a yellow arrow pointing to the left, which directed me through some challenging terrain with a river below. After about 4 hours of exhausting ups and downs, a path led to a village in the distance. The name of the town was Colmenar Viejo, exactly where I had started 4 hours previously. There is apparently a circle route which starts and ends in Colmenar Viejo, which uses yellow arrows to guide you, exactly the Compostela arrows.....Fortunately, bus 724 bus runs from Colmenar Viejo to Manzanares el Real. By then, I was so frustrated and tired that I just took the bus. Colmenar Viejo doesn't have any affordable lodging options.

The second issue today was with the albergue listed in gronze as Acogida de peregrinos La Encomienda in Manzanares with no address. A few days ago, I emailed them to inquire about availability, and received no response. I tried calling their number a few times with no answer. I'm crashing at the Hostal La Pedreza in the center of Manzarales. The dorm is a bit more expensive at 22 Euros, but at least it's available.
I am walking the Camino Madrid starting in Tres Cantos later this morning. I plan to take the bus there and walk to Manzanares- where I will be picked up. I would love to follow your post as you are ahead of me. I do hope I can avoid your circular route out of Colmenar Viejo. Any pointers you can give to avoid this will be great.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And a third.
It will be good to know what things are like on the ground now.
I've just arrived in Segovia after a lengthy walk from Las Dehesas. I was aware that the polideportivo center in Cercedilla would be closed on a Sunday; however, I was not prepared for the two youth hostels in Las Dehesas (3 km past Cercedilla) also being closed on weekends.....At that point, I said screw it and decided to camp in the woods near that second albergue, and with the exception of being cold in my sleeping bag and hearing some wild boars roaming around at 3 AM, the night was fine. The hike over the Fuenfria Pass was less challenging than expected, but it was an extremely long walk to Segovia. When you see the city from the highlands, it doesn't seem so far away, but it takes a long time to reach it. In Segovia, the albergue situation is pretty messed up, I'm sorry to say. When I showed up at the Duermevela Hostel, no one answered at the door. Fortunately for me, a lady passing by, a former pilgrim, called their number, and I should be able to get a bed there in 30 minutes at 5 PM. Everywhere else in Segovia is quite pricey, it being a tourist destination. The accommodation situation on the Madrid Camino is definitely very different than that of other caminos, and I think that it's advisable to call all these places to reserve a bed in advance, but also to determine if they're actually open. Had it not been for that helpful lady, I would have had to hunt through Segovia for an alternate hostel. The tourist map in Segovia does not list hotels or hostels, and with few bars or cafes having wifi, it's hard to know where all these places are in a big city like Segovia. For those of you planning to stay overnight in Segovia, and you should, Duermevela is the cheapest option at 20 Euros and definitely call in advance to reserve a bed.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm happy to write about my adventures on the Madrid Camino in an effort to save you some of my headaches. It has been anything but smooth for me so far, with screw-ups daily. As of Monday, I'm in Segovia. The walk from Cercedilla to Segovia is a tough one. In my case, the climb up to the pass was not the hard part. The hard part was the endless walk through the meseta below the mountains in the midday heat. Carry at least 3 liters of water, and fill those water bottles at that last fuente to the left. It's running water rather than a proper fuente, but you can fill your bottles and hydrate yourselves. Once you leave the mountains and the trees, you enter the meseta, and it's still a significant stretch to Segovia. As most of you know, many of the municipal albergues after Segovia are closed. Tomorrow, I'm walking to Ane, not Santa Maria la Real de Nieve. The day after, I'm stopping at Nava de la Asuncion, not at Coca. In three days, I'm debating whether to deviate from the Madrid Camino to the Levante, and haven't yet decided. The albergue situation there might be equally bad. On the Camino frances, despite the crowds, there will be more options....I'll decide when I get to Villeguillo. After Villeguillo all the way to Sahagun, everything looks ok as far as albergues municipales. I may go that way after all.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am walking the Camino Madrid starting in Tres Cantos later this morning. I plan to take the bus there and walk to Manzanares- where I will be picked up. I would love to follow your post as you are ahead of me. I do hope I can avoid your circular route out of Colmenar Viejo. Any pointers you can give to avoid this will be great.
Out of Colmenar Viejo, you walk through a park and then come to the edge of town on the western side. As far as I know, that's the legitimate camino de Santiago. Where I think that things went wrong for me was when I reached a road after 5-8 km, and a yellow arrow deviated me to the left. At that point, you are south of Manzanares, so if anything, you should cross the road and deviate to the right. That left pointing yellow arrow steers you through a canyon, with many ups and downs with a river below. You are going the wrong way at that point.

If you're staying at the albergue at Ane, you need to get some food, as there's apparently no restaurant there and the bar is only open on weekends. The small village of Valseca has a supermarket (close to the ayuntamiento office), and if you pass their ayuntamiento, they have wifi and its password posted outside (which is where I'm typing this). Out of Segovia, it's all meseta, so start walking early to avoid the midday heat if possible.

If you're staying at the albergue at Ane, you need to get some food,
My memory of Ane from March 2018, no one about - stopped to snack on food we carried and starving cats arrived looking for a few morsels. (If you’re an animal lover, carry some extras for the cats 🐈 🐈‍⬛. ).

Attachments

• 5E5A2CAE-6FDD-4924-A263-3E486670CE0A.jpeg
    5E5A2CAE-6FDD-4924-A263-3E486670CE0A.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 77C871B5-834A-41F8-A99D-23CAAD40D17F.jpeg
    77C871B5-834A-41F8-A99D-23CAAD40D17F.jpeg
    715.7 KB · Views: 8
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok, I'm happy to write about my adventures on the Madrid Camino in an effort to save you some of my headaches. It has been anything but smooth for me so far, with screw-ups daily. As of Monday, I'm in Segovia. The walk from Cercedilla to Segovia is a tough one. In my case, the climb up to the pass was not the hard part. The hard part was the endless walk through the meseta below the mountains in the midday heat. Carry at least 3 liters of water, and fill those water bottles at that last fuente to the left. It's running water rather than a proper fuente, but you can fill your bottles and hydrate yourselves. Once you leave the mountains and the trees, you enter the meseta, and it's still a significant stretch to Segovia. As most of you know, many of the municipal albergues after Segovia are closed. Tomorrow, I'm walking to Ane, not Santa Maria la Real de Nieve. The day after, I'm stopping at Nava de la Asuncion, not at Coca. In three days, I'm debating whether to deviate from the Madrid Camino to the Levante, and haven't yet decided. The albergue situation there might be equally bad. On the Camino frances, despite the crowds, there will be more options....I'll decide when I get to Villeguillo. After Villeguillo all the way to Sahagun, everything looks ok as far as albergues municipales. I may go that way after all.
Well described, for me last year the first fountain after the climb was barely dripping, the second one was a welcome sight, I did get lost in the open fields for a bit but did cross country to re connect...that slog into Segovia was brutal in the full sun

In Santa Maria Real la Nieve now on the ayuntamiento's free wifi. There's a monastery here that I hope will be open for a visit. Ane is a good stop after Segovia. The albergue next to the bar has private rooms for 15 Euros, and the bar is open during the week (not just weekends). The fellow running the bar has keys to the albergue next door, and can cook you a bocadillo de lomo. Wifi in Ane does not work. Ane is dead quiet until the evening when people start coming out after their siesta. During the day, the only activity in the village might be a cat crossing the street and some people sitting in their chairs in their doorways. After a few painful days at the beginning of the Camino, my body seems to be adapting to the rigors of the walking, and I'm tiring less easily and my blisters are bothering me less. Hoping to making it to Nava de la Asuncion today, another 12.8 km.

In Santa Maria Real la Nieve now on the ayuntamiento's free wifi. There's a monastery here that I hope will be open for a visit. Ane is a good stop after Segovia. The albergue next to the bar has private rooms for 15 Euros, and the bar is open during the week (not just weekends). The fellow running the bar has keys to the albergue next door, and can cook you a bocadillo de lomo. Wifi in Ane does not work. Ane is dead quiet until the evening when people start coming out after their siesta. During the day, the only activity in the village might be a cat crossing the street and some people sitting in their chairs in their doorways. After a few painful days at the beginning of the Camino, my body seems to be adapting to the rigors of the walking, and I'm tiring less easily and my blisters are bothering me less. Hoping to making it to Nava de la Asuncion today, another 12.8 km.
Great to hear about your progress and how your body is adapting. Did you stay in the little hobbit house albergue in Santa María? Hoping it is back open and welcoming to pilgrims. Gronze says it will be closed all of this year, so I am wondering if you had to go to the highway hostal. Buen camino, @staucher!

Great to hear about your progress and how your body is adapting. Did you stay in the little hobbit house albergue in Santa María? Hoping it is back open and welcoming to pilgrims. Gronze says it will be closed all of this year, so I am wondering if you had to go to the highway hostal. Buen camino, @staucher!
Is that the municipal albergue? If so, it is closed. I stayed in Ane, left early this morning and stopped for a cafe con leche in Santa Maria and a quick visit of the cloisters, before moving on to Nava de la Asuncion. I'm curious how the pilgrims following a day or two behind me have been holding up.....

Oh, I misread, I see that you stopped in Santa María for a visit but have continued on. Looks like you are navigating the maze of closed albergues quite well!

Hope you are enjoying the camino, @staucher, especially now that your body is cooperating!
It's much better once you settle into a rhythm with the blisters and fatigue under control. With the smooth path in the meseta, you can cover a lot of distance efficiently. At this point, I think that I'm going to continue up to Sahagun and catch the CF from there. From what I've heard, there were extensive wild fires on the Sanabres around Tabara, and the area is all blackened.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For those following a day or two behind me, get your food at the supermarket in Coca if you're staying in Villeguillo. The only bar there is closed for holidays, so there are no food or drink options in Villeguillo. The folks at No. 8 on the main street can give you a cello. When I was there, the ayuntamiento office was closed.

Also, once you get to the 601 road (south-north to Valladolid), follow it past the bridge and keep going. I was distracted by the sign across the road showing 5.6 km to Alcazaren, and made the mistake of following it. It's a long way to get to Alcazaren and isn't the camino. Plus, the path is not well marked at crossings in the woods, so it's easy to get lost. Alcazaren is just a bit farther north and following the road gets you there. I hadn't had any wifi for several days, so I didn't know that Alcazaren was about 2 km up that road. In Alcazaren, the bar closest to the albergue municipal has got wifi, thank God!

Last edited:
I hope you didn’t try to carry it with you.

(I think you mean “sello.” :D)

Are you all alone in the albergue?

Buen camino, @staucher !
On the Madrid Camino, so far I've had roommates at an albergue only one time.....In Penaflor de Hornija now. 4 more days until I join the CF where there will be more people.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The walk from Medina de Rioseco to Cuenca de Campos along the Castilla Canal is really pleasant. It's hard to believe that this lengthy canal (78 km) was dug entirely by hand back in the 18th Century to promote commerce here in the meseta region (until the railroad came to Medina de Rioseco, rendering boat traffic on the canal obsolete). The Camino goes past one of the locks on the canal, no longer in use. Very interesting day. Two more days, and I reach Sahagun.

Out of Colmenar Viejo, you walk through a park and then come to the edge of town on the western side. As far as I know, that's the legitimate camino de Santiago. Where I think that things went wrong for me was when I reached a road after 5-8 km, and a yellow arrow deviated me to the left. At that point, you are south of Manzanares, so if anything, you should cross the road and deviate to the right. That left pointing yellow arrow steers you through a canyon, with many ups and downs with a river below. You are going the wrong way at that point.
I walked this route yesterday and I think I saw that ‘devious’ yellow arrow to the left just before the road/flyover. It now has a red X on it 😊

I walked this route yesterday and I think I saw that ‘devious’ yellow arrow to the left just before the road/flyover. It now has a red X on it 😊
I don't think that there was a red cross above the yellow arrow when I passed through there, so it's nice to see that someone has reacted to my complaint. In O Cebreiro now, relaxing after that tough climb from Las Herrerias.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi fellow pilgrims,

I'm a few days ahead of you you have to keep your concentration arrows are very easy to miss im over the mountain tomorrow not seen another pilgrim Buen Camino

I walked this route last Fall and the arrows could definitely use a touching up in Madrid.

The Camino passes Tres Cantos but it is very visible just across the highway. The walkway is right by, what used to be, The Hotel Europa.

This Camino is like a mini Frances, imo. mountains early then forest followed by Meseta and connecting with the Frances in Sahagun. No worries about transport to SJPdP. Just take Cercanias train from airport to Chamartin station and start walking.
This Camino is nothing like the Frances

Hi fellow pilgrims,

Hello there
I am starting to check out possible albergue accommodation for Tres Cantos. I see that you slept at Acogida en la Parroquia de Santa Teresa de Jesus.
I have read that there are no showers, and that the beds are actually inflatable mattresses on the floor. Is this correct? If so (if it's not too personal a question) how did you manage to clean and refresh yourself after a day of walking from Madrid?
Thanks for your advice. I hope 2024 is kind to you.
Graeme

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Catch the train back to Madrid, stay the night in Madrid, shower, eat and then catch the train back in the morning

Or when you arrive in Madrid walk to the outskirts for the first nights stay and then off to Gran Hostal El Chiscón at Colmenar Viejo for the next day.

Hello there
I am starting to check out possible albergue accommodation for Tres Cantos. I see that you slept at Acogida en la Parroquia de Santa Teresa de Jesus.
I have read that there are no showers, and that the beds are actually inflatable mattresses on the floor. Is this correct? If so (if it's not too personal a question) how did you manage to clean and refresh yourself after a day of walking from Madrid?
Thanks for your advice. I hope 2024 is kind to you.
Graeme
I stayed at Mission Emmanuel. It's true that the bed was a mattress on the floor (in the chapel) but there were certainly showers and laundry facilities. Cleaning and refreshing wasn't a problem.

Mission Emmanuel is a donativo in the sense that there is no fee. But it isn't a donativo in the sense that they are looking for donations. There is no suggestion to donate, nor a donation box. When I approached them, they said no donation was necessary nor looked for for the accommodations or food they provided, but if I wanted to donate towards the work of the Mission, of course they'd be happy to accept. They aren't primarily focused on pilgrims. More so on, I believe, refugees that end up in the Madrid area. But they consider welcoming pilgrims in keeping with the Christian spirit of the Mission. They are actually a little off the Camino, shortly before Tres Cantos. You'll start to see red arrows painted that point to them as well as the regular yellow arrows of the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back