• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Triacastela - Serria 2 Paths?

Dario

I´m at Triacastela right now and i noticed there are two paths from here. Can anyone shed some light on the pros and cons of each. Much appreciated!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi

I did the one via Samos Monastery which I believe is a bit longer than the other. Probably a bit muddy this time of year.

Perhaps someone can comment on the other?

Buen Camino

Sarria via Samos is 21km - the direct route is 18km.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Does the San Xil route have more mountains? After the climb and decent from Cebreiro my feet are spent and blisterlicous.

Dario, the route is undulating - no mountains. I know what you mean about the path from O Cebreiro to Triacastela - up and down the side of the main road on steep rocky, stony tracks and then that long descent to Triacastela.
I have sent you my diary page for that day last year in September - no more mountains!
Enjoy the next week - your camino is almost over.

Attachments

• Profile to Santiago.GIF
    Profile to Santiago.GIF
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,100
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This thread reinforces my belief that you will miss a lot by not having a guidebook. The Brierley Guide, for example, has full descriptions of both options on this and other stages.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I really like the route via San Xil. It's quite pretty; not too arduous, and passes through lots of small villages.

(I've not been, but have heard the monastary at Samos is overrated)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I´ve done them both, and I recommend the San Xil path. It´s one of my favorite and most Galician stretches of the Camino. In the springtime there´s a pond alongside that´s hopping and singing with little frogs... you can hear them for miles!

Back