• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trial Run

Stuartwe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2020
I am planning to walk the Camino Francés in 2020.

Reading many of the members comments has whetted my appetite and made me think that a practice run next year might be a sensible idea,particularly as I have never attempted anything like it before and it will give me a good indication of how I will respond to walking a good distance every day.

I am seeking some suitable recommendations for a trip of around 7-10 days walking,hopefully not too strenuous but something that would also get me used to carrying and living out of a backpack for a number of continuous days.

I am reasonably flexible regarding location but obviously mindful that travelling from England,it would make sense to have start/end points that are easily accessible to minimise travel time to and from.

Also, I do not want to touch the Camino Francés as would prefer that to be a totally new experience the year after.

I am nearing my 60th birthday ,in ok condition but having a goal to aim for would also provide a good incentive to improve my general fitness.

Probably look to go during months of May/June and some good scenery in late spring/early summer would be ideal.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You could have a look at the Camino Portuguese, possibly from Tui, or maybe from Porto - depending on how many km you want to walk per day.

The infrastructure is good, the route is fairly flat, and it's not one of my beloved unpopulated caminos where you never meet anyone.

My suggestion would be to walk the Camino Ingles from Ferrol. A few short steep hills but nothing too mountainous. 7 days would be plenty of time to take it fairly easy. If you still have time and energy you could add on a few days to go to Finisterre or Muxia. Alternatively Santiago is a good town for some gentle R&R. You can fly direct from London to either Santiago or A Coruna and then take a bus to Ferrol to start.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I second Bradypus's suggestion of the Ingles. In addition to what he states, it has the advantage of doing a "whole" Camino route start to finish, and, since you are from England, the historical link of so many pilgrims from the British Isles having gone that route. Have fun researching, planning and walking!

Test the waters with a hiking trip at home. A week on a camino will not give you a taste of a half-marathon a day for a month. Your feet and muscles will not even be recovered after a week. It takes about two weeks to reach your second wind! The most you might find is the technique for finding buses and taxis to reach a nearby objective! ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Reading many of the members comments has whetted my appetite and made me think that a practice run next year might be a sensible idea, particularly as I have never attempted anything like it before and it will give me a good indication of how I will respond to walking a good distance every day.

I am seeking some suitable recommendations for a trip of around 7-10 days walking, hopefully not too strenuous but something that would also get me used to carrying and living out of a backpack for a number of continuous days.
If you just want to get used to walking every day, without any kind of "pilgrimage experience" in Spain, I'd recommend the Hadrian's Wall trail as that's not far for you since you live in England. Otherwise, get brochures or check the websites of Exodus Travels, Explore Worldwide and similar and look at their offers for self-guided walks to get an idea for trips that might appeal to you. There are plenty to choose from!

Last edited:
Stuartwe......depending on where you live in the U K ,what about this ....https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Angles+Way

This trail also joins the Peddlars way and the Bigod trail so you can extend your walk if you wish .

Starts in Great Yarmouth ,Norfolk . If you do this walk you are welcome to a free nights kip in Oulton Broad as the trail passes about 2 klms from us .

Hadrians wall walk , as has been suggested by Kathar!na is also a good call for a trial outing .

Last edited:
There are a number of long walks in Britain. The lodging will cost more though. As for myself, if I were planning to do the CF I would avoid finishing any of the Spanish or Portugese caminos so the entry into Santiago from the CF will have the most impact.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My suggestion would be to walk the Camino Ingles from Ferrol. A few short steep hills but nothing too mountainous. 7 days would be plenty of time to take it fairly easy. If you still have time and energy you could add on a few days to go to Finisterre or Muxia. Alternatively Santiago is a good town for some gentle R&R. You can fly direct from London to either Santiago or A Coruna and then take a bus to Ferrol to start.
Thank you Bradypus,

Sounds both a realistic and attractive option.

I will research further as so far I have just been looking at the Camino Francés

There are a number of long walks in Britain. The lodging will cost more though. As for myself, if I were planning to do the CF I would avoid finishing any of the Spanish or Portugese caminos so the entry into Santiago from the CF will have the most impact.
Thank you for your reply.

I have done quite a bit of walking in the UK so a change of scenery appeals.

You make a good point though,because I was wondering whether if I had been to Santiago before it would detract from the experience if I complete the Camino Francés the following year.

I think for me though it will be all about the journey rather than the destination and I have read that some members have felt a bit underwhelmed when they get to Santiago....all about managing your expectations i suppose

Thanks again for the advice

Stuartwe......depending on where you live in the U K ,what about this ....https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Angles+Way

This trail also joins the Peddlars way and the Bigod trail so you can extend your walk if you wish .

Starts in Great Yarmouth ,Norfolk . If you do this walk you are welcome to a free nights kip in Oulton Broad as the trail passes about 2 klms from us .

Hadrians wall walk , as has been suggested by Kathar!na is also a good call for a trial outing .

Good suggestions...I used to live near Norwich so know the broads very well.

Thank you very much for your kind invitation

I have to admit I have looked at the Peddars Way/North Norfolk coast as perhaps a second back up trip,I’m only in Lincolnshire so very easy to get to and from

Thank you again

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Test the waters with a hiking trip at home. A week on a camino will not give you a taste of a half-marathon a day for a month. Your feet and muscles will not even be recovered after a week. It takes about two weeks to reach your second wind! The most you might find is the technique for finding buses and taxis to reach a nearby objective! ;)

Thank you falcon269.....I sense a voice of experience!

I second Bradypus's suggestion of the Ingles. In addition to what he states, it has the advantage of doing a "whole" Camino route start to finish, and, since you are from England, the historical link of so many pilgrims from the British Isles having gone that route. Have fun researching, planning and walking!

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

I am going to do a bit more research but can’t say I not already very tempted!

I will research further as so far I have just been looking at the Camino Francés

Lots of practical information on these two websites. Gronze is better for information about accommodation but the Eroski site has good route descriptions. If Spanish is a problem then using Google Chrome as your web browser gives you the option to translate them automatically.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-ingles
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/ingles/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you just want to get used to walking every day, without any kind of "pilgrimage experience" in Spain, I'd recommend the Hadrian's Wall trail as that's not far for you since you live in England. Otherwise, get brochures or check the websites of Exodus Travels, Explore Worldwide and similar and look at their offers for self-guided walks to get an idea for trips that might appeal to you. There are plenty to choose from!

Thank you very much for your reply.

I can see the sense of attempting something closer to home to get a bit of practice .
Unfortunately I have never been particularly sensible and the idea of some Spanish sunshine on the back of my neck sounds great!

Two suggestions if you're planning a dry run - 1) Match the mileage you're planning to walk. Everyone has their "wall" that they're going to hit each day. Doing 10 mile training hikes won't prepare you if you're going to be walking 12-17 miles a day. Those last few miles do make a difference. 2) Train on long downhills, preferably on bad trails. Most injuries happen on the downhill as well as blisters, foot pain, etc. This will ensure you have the right pair of shoes more than walking on flat or uphill trails. Walking poles will help. Learn how to use them.

Buen Camino!

If you are on in Great Britain check out YouTube's: Abby Barnes, Song Thrush Productions. She has many videos on walks around G. B. and she makes the videos interesting to watch. Next year we a going hiking in G. B.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As you consider various options, look at temperature and humidity, too. Walking in the sun at 35°C with 20% humidity is very different from walking on a grey British isles day. As much as possible, train in the same climate as you plan to walk.

As you consider various options, look at temperature and humidity, too. Walking in the sun at 35°C with 20% humidity is very different from walking on a grey British isles day. As much as possible, train in the same climate as you plan to walk.

Many thanks for your good advice

I am planning to walk the Camino Francés in 2020.

Reading many of the members comments has whetted my appetite and made me think that a practice run next year might be a sensible idea,particularly as I have never attempted anything like it before and it will give me a good indication of how I will respond to walking a good distance every day.

I am seeking some suitable recommendations for a trip of around 7-10 days walking,hopefully not too strenuous but something that would also get me used to carrying and living out of a backpack for a number of continuous days.

I am reasonably flexible regarding location but obviously mindful that travelling from England,it would make sense to have start/end points that are easily accessible to minimise travel time to and from.

Also, I do not want to touch the Camino Francés as would prefer that to be a totally new experience the year after.

I am nearing my 60th birthday ,in ok condition but having a goal to aim for would also provide a good incentive to improve my general fitness.

Probably look to go during months of May/June and some good scenery in late spring/early summer would be ideal.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Why don't you try a section of Chemin St Jacques? Its the French part of the Camino so much more accessible from England. I only found it by accident during a motorbike tour earlier this year. Long day on the bike, parked up and showered and went for a walk. Found signs pointing the way (literally!). Looked it up and plan to walk a chunk of it next year myself

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Try walking the GR10 from Hendaye to StJPdP, it gets you gently into walking longer stages and with good accommodation, I started there in 2000 and met peregrinos in StJPdP who told me about the Camino Frances. I walked English Long distance paths every year to 2015. In June 2016 I walked from Roncesvalles to Burgos in 11 days with no breaks and no problems, I was 74 in 2016, I think my preparation was just about right ! I hope to start again in Burgos in May 2018.

Two suggestions if you're planning a dry run - 1) Match the mileage you're planning to walk. Everyone has their "wall" that they're going to hit each day. Doing 10 mile training hikes won't prepare you if you're going to be walking 12-17 miles a day. Those last few miles do make a difference. 2) Train on long downhills, preferably on bad trails. Most injuries happen on the downhill as well as blisters, foot pain, etc. This will ensure you have the right pair of shoes more than walking on flat or uphill trails. Walking poles will help. Learn how to use them.

Buen Camino!
More good advice,much appreciated

Why don't you try a section of Chemin St Jacques? Its the French part of the Camino so much more accessible from England. I only found it by accident during a motorbike tour earlier this year. Long day on the bike, parked up and showered and went for a walk. Found signs pointing the way (literally!). Looked it up and plan to walk a chunk of it next year myself
Yes,I have considered it as I have a reasonable knowledge of France particularly around Cahors and Moissac.
Great scenery,food and wine

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Try walking the GR10 from Hendaye to StJPdP, it gets you gently into walking longer stages and with good accommodation, I started there in 2000 and met peregrinos in StJPdP who told me about the Camino Frances. I walked English Long distance paths every year to 2015. In June 2016 I walked from Roncesvalles to Burgos in 11 days with no breaks and no problems, I was 74 in 2016, I think my preparation was just about right ! I hope to start again in Burgos in May 2018.
More power to you,good luck with your future plans

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back