• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Triangle Defined-Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia-Santiago

John Hussey

I wonder if anyone could share more light upon this mystical concept that I have only seen mentioned in a few places. I am especially interested to learn if there might be an actual route to fit the definition of that mystical triangular route occasionally called "The Eye of God" or "El Ojo del Obradoiro". I have seen it referenced sparsely by those two terms.

This route apparently (maybe?)travels from Santiago to Fisterra then Muxia then back to some point before Santiago and thusly would make the triangle somewhat smaller than the larger Fisterra-Muxia-Santiago triangle.

I once finished my only Camino by walking to Fisterra but took a bus back to Santiago, because of time constraints. I recall, on that trip, that I reached a point along the Camino where I could branch to either one or the other of Fisterra or Muxia, and have often wondered if this is where the third point of the triangle was actually located. This time I wish to complete the walk in its entirety.

More specifically I wish to learn more about the historical origins of this route and can find very few references to it. So, not only where is it, but does it really have historical precedent or is it just an invented concept imagined by the multitude of new pilgrims that has just recently continued to surge along it for the last three decades?

Any light upon this topic anyone could share would be deeply appreciated.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The newest reference to it was from Sue Kenney as she mentioned "The Eye of God".

But the older reference I copied from my Camino notes from some much older source that I just cannot recall. I made the notation when I read it, likely in an older book, but since the work was for me only, I made no effort to reference it's source. I guess I thought it was a better known concept. Anyway, I will try and re-look it up. In the meantime, perhaps someone else may shed some light upon it

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sounds interesting to me. I did the Camino from St. Jean to Santiago in July-August of 2007. I was considering continuing on to Finisterre, but by the time I'd reached Santiago I'd had enough of walking for awhile.

However, I've considered returning someday in order to walk the Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia - Santiago path. I don't know about the "eye" stuff, but Finisterre was supposedly a pre-Xian pilgrimage path/destination. Personally, the sea has always reminded me of God - huge, powerful, mysterious, beautiful, and fearsome...so, who knows?

If nothing else, that path would be a nice capstone to the regular Camino Frances (and doable within a normal vacation period).

We walked to Finisterre from Santiago July 2007 and met people doing the triangle - in both directions and from various starting points. There seemed to be some disagreement about how easy it was to get lost (one guy complained he'd gone the wrong way for hours).

Time to revive this thread!

I plan to carry on to Finisterra...is there a mystical triangle? or, an "Eye of God"?

Come on Sil...you've got the most credible hook...snag something for us unwashed!

Tot seins

Arn

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
John, the 17thc Italian Pilgrim, Domenico Laffi, wrote a diary about his pilgrimage - including his impressions of the Fisterra-Muxia Way. Laffi apparently made the pilgrimage from his home in Bologna to Santiago three times (and also to Jerusalem and Lisbon). You can order a copy of his book from Amazon:
A Journey to the West by Domenico Laffi: The Diary of a Seventeenth-Century Pilgrim from Bologna to Santiago De Compostela
http://www.amazon.com/Journey-West-Dome ... 9074310281

sillydoll said:
However, I do have a guide book on "The Fisterra-Muxia" way

Sweet - thanks! This is a trek I'd like to do someday. After reaching Santiago, I decided to save Finisterre for another time. I've heard great things about it...dunno if I'd torch my boots, though... :arrow:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sil,

Thanks once again. I've read the booklet, and although it doesn't speak to the "triangle" it's easy to see the connection between Hospital, Muxia and Finstere. Now, what that all might portend to the mystical remains unclear. But, gosh, the natural beauty of the entire area is breathtaking.

Hope I have the time and strength to make all three.

regards
Arn

The only triangle and Eye of God that I can think of is the pyramid and all-seeing eye painted on the celing of the cathedral!

Attachments

• All seeing eye.jpg
    All seeing eye.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 3,725
I can't add anything re John's question but in my walk to Fisterra this spring I of course heard/read the story of the Virgin Mary going to Muxia to support St. James in his work where she, according to legend, crashed on the rocks out from Muxia. As it happened I joined my family (in a last minute plan) in Greece after the pilgrimage where we had planned to go to Halkidiki (for those who don't know, that's the three fingers that stick down from the northern curve). While reading about Halkidiki, I read a story about one of the fingers that is the site of a very old monastery where the devout can stay for a night or two if they wish. One of the major claims of the notes about this sacred spot is that the Virgin Mary came by that way to visit one of the apostles (Paul I think) and you guessed it - crashed her boat on the rocks!
I have to admit I don't know what to think about all this crashing on the rocks stuff.
Lightheartedly
cecelia

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Arn wrote "Now who was driving..?."
I don't know who the driver was but I hope she got a new one - in the meantime it can't be helping the female drivers' reputations. Driving aside, at the particular time I was there (May 2007) there was a significant # of people who were attracted to the "sacredness" of the area (they said) because of the visit of the Virgin Mary and the resulting "goddess energy".
I'm not sure about that but in my opinion the area is very lovely and definitely worth the walk (or bus if you don't have the time or inclination). I found the calm beauty of watching the sunset refreshing,cleansing and a wonderful conclusion to the walk from SJPP - especially since there was a circus with all night music in Santiago in 2007 when I was last there (Ascension week I believe). But I too, found that the albergues between Santiago and Fisterra were too crowded to provide me, a slow walker, with a bed. The locals at the time mentioned that May in particular is always very crowded but sometimes in July and August there were very few people.
May your camino lessons be easy, gentle and light hearted.
Cecelia

vinotinto said:
sillydoll said:
However, I do have a guide book on "The Fisterra-Muxia" way

Sweet - thanks! This is a trek I'd like to do someday. After reaching Santiago, I decided to save Finisterre for another time. I've heard great things about it...dunno if I'd torch my boots, though... :arrow:

As I recall, it was not specifically boots (or I suppose it could be)but any article of clothing that could be burned-at the walker's discretion. When I arrived, i had been walking with three Spaniards for a few days, one female and two males and we each burned something late that evening when we walked out on the narrow, rocky and quite windy spit of land upon which the lighthouse sat. We walked down the very steep precipice to the right of it for a ways so as to get out of the direct wind and finally had a fire going for our selected items.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I believe I may have defined the triangle incorrectly because I wrote in my 2005 pre-Camino notes:

"3 days to Finisterre, then on to Muxia & then 3 days back to Santiago, the Olveiroa - Finisterre - Muxia - Olveiroa triangle being what the Spanish call the Eye of God. Stretch it to include Castromil or take bus back?"

So the triangle of the "Eye" may not have been Santiago but Olveiroa instead! :?:

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back