• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trike rental

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The best option might be to package up yours (if it's foldable) and put it in checked luggage.

I think there are plenty of places on the Camino where a trike wouldn't fit very well because of it's width. And blind curves with no pull off space would make them especially dangerous for you on some of the roads.

That's the info I see from Google, but thought I'd ask. Kind of disheartening if no-one rents trikes.
There are multiple, nearly a dozen on a first search, companies trading directly on the Camino who do bike hire or bike-the-camino packages. If you want to do this it has to be worth your while to email each of them with your requirements. If your Spanish isn't up to it, mine certainly isn't, then Google Chrome (other mega-corporation search engines are available) will help with translation.

I would write to the bike rental company saying that you are looking for a trike. It is very possible that one of the companies has a trike or know an person that has one they might rent to you.
Second folding trikes can to checked so I would also look into a folding tadpole trike, which has the advantage of being able to be used on other trip and riding before you go on Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Where do you live? It's no good telling you to bring your own if we don't know what transport you will be using. Is this a solo trip or will you have (do you need) help?
Where are you intending to start?

Where do you live? It's no good telling you to bring your own if we don't know what transport you will be using. Is this a solo trip or will you have (do you need) help?
Where are you intending to start?
I live in the US and was planning to make the trip with a few others. I'm not sure where I'd start, I know very little about the el Camino.

Okay, this is a good place to start. I suggest you think about how much time you have available, then where you want to finish.
You can then decide where to start. Depending on your daily mileage allowing for rest days you should be able to calculate this so as to start from somewhere easy to reach.
There are other options than trikes. You can hire a little donkey cart in France bourricot.com will help here, look for randoline. They require a helper to lead the donkey, you don't get to steer, as they are made specifically for people with a disability. You might want a tandem bike, or maybe an ebike. There are also options to book with companies that will arrange accommodation and baggage transfer.
You could buy a trike (try cyclo-eko in Pau, who sell a folding trike with electric assist) and sell or donate it when you have done what you want with it.
Your friends will need to work out what they want to do, as well. You might decide to use an assist vehicle, but that would exclude them (not you, if you are disabled) from some accommodation.
You may want to do a test run if you have a locally available walking route.
I suggest a good think about your objectives and ability to ride on a regular basis before coming to a decision. Remember that transport costs from the USA will be a very large part of your budget, and the others will need to be willing to move at your pace. Don't worry about path width. There is always an alternative route. It's not an obligation to follow the track markers.
Hope this helps. It's just a few ideas to help you research.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Flying with a folding trike is possible as a checked item about 150 each way on top of ticket price. I don’t know a lot about train/bus in Spain to your starting location.

One question is how long (time) you have as riding from airport to airport is easiest with a trike.

One place to look https://www.utahtrikes.com/SEARCH-0:999999: : :Fold.search
But there cheaper models available such as trident trikes
And Azub is not cheap but fold down to 26*24*14 inch box

Please reply for more information on trikes and planing for a camino.

I live in the US and was planning to make the trip with a few others. I'm not sure where I'd start, I know very little about the el Camino.

I would highly suggest a recumbent/tadpole trike with two wheels in front over a granny trike with one wheel in front.

Tadpoles steer better, handle tilt perpendicular to the bike much better with lower amounts of tip over, and are less likely to tip over in turns.

As you want to travel with others,I have a few notes on trikes. The performance window is much different than bicycles on trikes you can easily go up a hill at 2 to 3 mph speed that a bicycle cannot perform. If your friends are walking, riding a trike it’s not hard to accompany those who are walking due to the fact that you can never fall over no matter how slow you go.

The e-bike is a good option if the strength of leg is the reason you want a trike not balance issues.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the info. I have a Trident Spike, http://tridenttrikes.com/jouta-delta/products/spike/, it's a folding trike with 2 wheels in front, fenders on all the wheels, and a rack over rear tire.

That is a fine trike which folds. So why are you looking at renting a trike instead of taking that one?

To fit it in a box for the airplane remove rack, fold, remove all wheels, push boom 100% in and turn 90 degrees or remove boom, loose and turn steering tube until flat, then pad it’s bubble wrap and with wheels, seat, rack.

At the airport tell the ticket person it is a bike for the 150-250 depending on which airline used fee which is for 70bl and 115 linear inches.
United https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/sports-equipment.html look at Bicycle.

As your trike will not be in a standard bike box you may be required to open your box. Pack in the box extra tape.

In Santiago you have two option A have shipped your box to Santiago to wait for you or B find a new box.

Take all tools used to take apart the trike even if it is not a tool you usually take on a daily ride. You could carry or ship those Santiago.

The largest problem with taking your trike is that you have a very heavy box without wheels and what to do with it if you travel Europe before or after the camino.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.