• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trip from Bordeaux airport to Saint-Jean-Pied-du-Port (19 July 2018)

Chair

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi!
I'm arriving with a friend at Bordeaux Airport on the 19th July at 15.15 headed to SJPdP to start the Camino.

Any tips on how to get there? I have searched with public transportation (3 trains!!) and the estimated time of arrival at Saint Jean is 10.30 pm, a bit late!

Wondering if there is anyone on the same route who would like to share a car/taxi..maybe from Bayonne to SJPdP.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did this same set of connections in 2014 -- Bordeaux to Bayonne; Bayone to Saint-Jean (except that the train did not go all the way to Saint-Jean, so we had to take a shuttle for about 40 minutes[??]). On your tight timeframe, you might consider staying at the very basic hotel (it's a chain, very tall... white building) directly across from the Bordeaux station and leaving for SJPDP early the following morning. That ended up being how I did it because I actually was so jet-lagged that I stood right in front of my train at Bordeaux and marvelled at all the people with back-packs getting on, and did not myself get on. I had heard an announcement that our train would be late, but failed to hear its arrival, and figured mine would be the *next train*. Oops.
Anyway, it turned out to be for the best as I met people on the train the next day who became my "Camino family", whereas had I gotten on while still dead tired, I would not have met *anyone*.

Thanks a lot, but I really need to be start the Camino early 20th July.

Great tips though!!

I heard the office closes at 22.00.
The Pilgrims Office closes about half-an- hour after the arrival time of the last train. They really do care about Pilgrims, even that much.
And if you have an urgent need to start the Camino early on the 20th I would urge you to pay respect to one of the old saws of the Camino - start slowly! Many of those who find themselves crippled by blisters, shin-splints, groin-strains and worse are those who pay little heed to that advice. It's a damn sight easier to finish a Camino in a rush than start with that imperative.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Check express bourcoit not sure of the spelling but you will find it on Google. They will split the cost of the transfer if more people on the same transfer. When I arrived at the airport there were enough people to make sharing a taxi a good deal. Easy to spot the walkers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm arriving with a friend at Bordeaux Airport on the 19th July at 15.15 headed to SJPdP to start the Camino.

Overnight in Bayonne, get the first train to SJPDP in the morning, and start walking. Far less stressful than risking flight and train delays between Bordeaux and SJPDP :D.
Jill

Hi!

Any tips on how to get there? I have searched with public transportation (3 trains!!) and the estimated time of arrival at Saint Jean is 10.30 pm, a bit late!

Wondering if there is anyone on the same route who would like to share a car/taxi..maybe from Bayonne to SJPdP.

Chair, I agree with @jsalt above - if you are arriving in Bordeaux that late in the day, get yourself to Bayonne and stay the night there. Then take the first train in the morning to St Jean and start your walk. The first train (or replacement bus if the train isn't running) will get you there by 9.00. That's not too late to start walking, even if you're going all the way to Roncesvalles.

Whatever you decide - buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back