• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trip Report April/May 2014

billmclaughlin

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP/Burgos 2012; Le Puy/SJPP 2013; Aumont Aubrac/Aire sur l'Adour 2014; Burgos/Santiago 2016.
I set out on the Arles route, beginning in Montpellier. I saw only two other hikers on the first day and four on the second, and I confirmed with roadside hotel and restaurant folks that not many more than that could be expected at this season. Since I enjoy company in the evening and it helps to have a variety of personalities, I reversed course and took a train from Montpellier to reach the Le Puy route as quickly as possible.

I had 24 nights before I needed to be in Paris. I figured I would cover much the same ground as I had when I walked from Le Puy to SJPP in September/October 2013, but I would try to vary it by sleeping in places I walked through and walking through places I slept in. I still wanted to work with the weather and pay attention to how my body was feeling, so avoiding any repetition wasn’t going to control all my decision-making. In the end, I had 22 nights on the route, spent 10 of them in towns I’d stayed in before, just 2 of those nights in gites I’d been in last year. And I had spring weather instead of fall, which turned out to mean lots of flowers and (lucky for me) no rain at all, though others got caught in heavy passing showers.

I was the sole passenger leaving the train in Aumont Aubrac. The train station manager pointed me to a break in the fence as my best way of accessing the chemin and within 15 minutes I was walking with two brothers from Lille. Then we encountered a troop of 10-year-olds trying to persuade their donkey to cross a stream. I roomed in Finieyrols with two Frenchwomen and had a great dinner with the conversation entirely in French. I was more than thrilled to be back on the Le Puy route!

I had already skipped the earliest stages out of Le Puy. And rather than stress myself trying to reach SJPP, I planned an early exit from the chemin, since I wasn’t eager to visit Bayonne for a fourth time in 2 years. I managed to follow some different routes. I did the fantastic stretch between Nasbinals and St. Côme d’Olt that I skipped in 2013. I left the main route at Limogne en Quercy to hike north to spend the May 8 holiday in Saint Cirq Lapopie and then retraced a bit of my route to rejoin the main route and then detoured south just a bit to spend a night at the convent in Vaylats. I took a shortcut to avoid much-abused Decazeville, where I had lunched happily last year.

As in the fall, I made reservations one day in advance, occasionally just a few hours ahead. My favorite gites were Saint André in Saint Chély d'Aubrac, L’Orée du Chemin in Massip, Le Bouy in Lascabanes, La Maison du Chat Bleu (really table-d’hôte I suppose) in Auvillar, Le Pèlerin in Cajarc, Le Champ des Etoiles with home-made yoghurt and a toaster at breakfast and its wonderful garden/park for dinner outdoors in Condom, and Le Presbytère in Lanne Soubiran. One place I very much wanted to revisit was Le Papillon Vert in Cahors. There wasn’t a bed available, but lovely Jackie told me to stop by and say hello, which turned into an invitation to dinner with her and two paying guests from Paris and their 15-month old daughter. A very special evening, rather different en famille.

When I wasn’t leaving right after breakfast to continue hiking, the wonderful hospitaliere at the hotel/gite de la Paix in Aire sur l’Adour gave me the key to the back door and trusted me to leave the key when I left. I caught the midday SNCF bus to Pau, a city I’ve long wanted to visit. The other passengers were a Californian who was leaving the chemin because her hips had given out and a Parisian dentist who had retired to Pau. He bought us coffee and directed us to our destinations in the city. Pau was made for a great short visit, with its free bus service that circles the small city center, a chateau that’s worth a visit, and fine views of the snow-capped Pyrenees. I dined with my new California friend both nights there. She was hosted via Airbnb in an apartment near my hotel by a local woman who invited us up for pre-dinner champagne and pastry the second night. We spent a wonderful evening – another great workout for my French – as our hostess shared her life story, birth in Algeria, exile with her parents at the time of the cease fire, etc., and her knowledge of Pau. Then I caught the once-a-day direct train to Paris at 6:59 am, dined with a friend who lives there, caught a great exhibit of the art of Berber women, survived the long flight to Montreal on always-reliable Air France and the bus to Boston. Whew!

My fellow hikers were delightful, especially, Ulrich and Ursula, M. and Mme. Delattre, Renata and Reiner, Docteur Viel from Drudas and his friends, the Swiss couple who spoke Romansh, Benedict who bought my hiking poles, and so many more. The engaging atheist at dinner in Livinhac discussing the design of war memorials and the principles of laïcité, roughly the French version of the separation of church and state. The Communist party official who provoked some laughter by insisting on buying an American a drink. Among so many, Soeur Sandrine from Perigueux was a joy at every encounter and Vincent from Strasbourg proved a man of depth and warmth. And most of all Samuel from Zurich, with his mastery of languages, proved a perfect companion on and off for several days and nights, quick to laugh but ready for a serious discussion or even an argument from time to time, able to walk with me in silence for long stretches, too.

I’m ready to return in a year or two for a third Le Puy trek. Maybe I’ll start with a short day and then spend my second night in Monistrol, try not to spend a night in Conques or Cahors, definitely follow the Célé variant, stride straight through Auvillar to sleep in Saint Antoine, stay on the main route to visit La Romieu this time, etc.…. Plenty of possibilities.

Bill (aka Guillaume)

P.S. And how could I forget this? A special shout-out to the men's barber shop on the rue Nationale in Lectoure! Great guy and a great cut!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for writing your trip report. I am planning my first Camino, starting in Le Puy, June 2015. I will study what you have written in detail. It appears you enjoyed yourself, and I'm especially interested that you left the Arles route and returned to the Le Puy route. I, too, am thinking of taking detours or doing some "circular" walking to investigate a few nearby villages. It sounds like you really made this your own camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What a challenging pilgrimage! Next time around? Cahors is not much to write home about but just over the bridge from the cathedral, Le Relais des Jacobins and Serge, 12 rue des Jacobins, his albergue is a wonderland and he a gracious host, fantastic cook, and a wonderful person! Rocamadour? Can be combined with Cele Valley better to take a train from Figeac and save 60km. Moissac? Ultreia gite with Ram and Aideen plus the nuns singing Vespers or Lauds? Le Puy is a wonderful walk! Hard to chose which way to go!

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back