• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trip Report: Le Puy to St Jean/Roncesvalles, via Lourdes

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
I recently returned from this year's student pilgrimage. We had 10 high schoolers in France, walking the GR-65 from Le Puy to Lectoure and then following a series of other GRs to get to Lourdes and back to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port. We also walked to Rocamadour and then through the Célé Valley. We finished in Rocamadour. I had my gps with me, so I'll have precise figures for everything at some point, but I really need to buckle down and focus on some other stuff before cleaning up those tracks. For now, we'll keep things breezy and impressionistic! Assorted thoughts...
  • This was my first time seeing the light show in Le Puy and it was special--well worth a later-than-expected night before starting the walk. We have a much tighter turn-around than most (we landed at CDG at noon, walked across Paris for a couple of hours and got food, traveled to Le Puy by train and arrived around 10pm (longer than expected due to a bus replacing the train for the last leg), and then dumped our packs in the hostel and immediately checked out the lights. Then, up early the next morning for mass, breakfast, the Needle, the statue of Mary, and a 10am start for Montbonnet. I'm sure some people are cringing at that, but I love it--none of us end up feeling much jet lag and there's an intensity to the start that makes for a definitive transition
  • While there were 40-50 pilgrims at the Le Puy mass, it never felt like there were more than 10-15 other pilgrims around us on the road. (Of course, we brought our own crowd everywhere.) Gite owners kept telling us that June is the dead month--numbers drop off dramatically, as the spring peak has passed and the vacation months haven't officially begun. Seems like a great time for those who want flexibility and good weather (indeed, we only had a single day of rain on the GR65--our last, walking to Lectoure--and while it was certainly warm, it was never oppressively so)
  • The lone time we deviated from the GR65 in the first week was when we detoured to the Cascade du Déroc. This was a huge win and I encourage everyone to do it. It's pretty easy! 2km after Rieutort, and immediately after crossing the memorable bridge over the Le Bés, turn left. You'll follow that road most of the way, continuing straight through a messy intersection (the road curves right uphill after passing by possible left and right turns) and then taking the next left. Google Maps can give you a good feel for this. There are no waymarks in this stretch, but after you pass the falls you'll encounter a bar. Red/white stripes pick up immediately after that and carry you on to Nasbinals. I don't think this added more than a km or two to the walk and the falls were awesome. This was already one of my favorite days of walking and the falls only served to accentuate that
  • This was my first time walking to Rocamadour. I've been eagerly anticipating it since we visited Rocamadour by bus as a day-trip last time around. The walk was... ok? The first 10km leaving Figeac were pleasant in the early morning, passing through a narrow, foggy valley with all kinds of farm animals lining the way (and a bunch of peacocks, for some reason!). I'm not sure what makes Cardaillac one of the "most beautiful villages" in France--it's nice, don't get me wrong, but it feels a bit disjointed. The next 35ish km to Gramat were fairly unremarkable. I have a hard time remembering too much from this stretch, though Lacapelle-Marival was a nice town. Hospitality in Gite du Gramat was great, so that was a highlight. The last bit of the route from Gramat to Rocamadour was fantastic--it's definitely the best part of this walk--following the Alzou river through a narrow gorge and passing a series of old mills. Seeing Rocamadour appear above us was really good... but it kind of pains me to note that the appearance is much more striking (to me) from above. Our bus arrival a few years ago absolutely floored us; this... impressed us.
  • That said, we loved having a lot of time in Rocamadour, and it was particularly atmospheric in the evening. There's a grocery store near the village at the top and (if you're looking for something completely different) a monkey sanctuary nearby. If I were going to splurge anywhere on a trip (and didn't have a large group with me), I might have tried to book a hot air balloon ride here--seems like the right place for that life experience
  • We bused back from Rocamadour to Figeac using Bernard Taxi. It's our second experience with them and they are prompt and reliable. Highly recommended
  • The Célé Valley is one of my favorite places to walk anywhere. That was the main reason for us to bus back and not keep walking--there's no way I'm skipping the Célé. That said, this was a tougher experience in large part because there was a massive bug infestation in the Célé--caterpillar-like bugs that hung from trees all along the trail, dangling from webby threads. We started calling them silkworms, just because of the feel of those webs as they wrapped around us as we walked. Having poked around a bit online, it looks like they might be box moth caterpillars. Anyway, it was bad. And unlike spider webs, the first person through wasn't able to clear the route for others; I walked at the front with a couple of large sticks and emerged coated, but everyone else still faced the same gauntlet. We ran into a couple of pilgrims in St. Gery who bailed on the Célé and skipped ahead because they were so tired of it. I've been in the Célé twice before around the same time of year and never encountered this, but maybe the late spring pushed it back? Maybe it's a growing infestation? I still loved the Célé and would still return, but it definitely made the walk more of a struggle at times. We did encounter the "silkworms" a few more times later on, including briefly in the Pyrenean foothills, but never in anything approaching the same magnitude as in the Célé
  • The waymarks were almost always reliable and clear. The lone place where things got really messy was between Pasturat and Cahors. I've done that route twice before and thought I had a good handle on it. Pride goeth before the fall.
  • A quick note for fans of the train bridge: my goodness, was it overgrown this year. We had to abandon it shortly after landfall because the brambles were so thick and the descent was... adrenaline-inducing
  • The hospitality in gites is one of the absolute highlights of this walk and, if anything, it's even more special when you get to return for a second (or third!) time. We felt so grateful to be back at places like Gite L'Escole in Montbonnet, Gite del Roumiou in St. Come d'Olt, Gite du Gua in Figeac, the Relais du Pasturat, Le Nid des Anges in Lascabanes, and the Gite Communal in Lauzerte. Special mention has to go to Gite Ultreia in Moissac, with Rom and Aideen. Add us to the list of pilgrims who have been in need of something above and beyond, only to have Rom and Aideen provide it without hesitation. My suggestion list of where to stay on the GR65 will always begin there
  • It was also fun to stay in some new places this time! Among our new stays, we were particularly impressed and touched by Gite Papillon in Cahors, Gite Vita e Bella in Livinhac, and the Gite Ferme Equestre Pech Merle after Cabrerets (makes for a good stop after an afternoon visit to Pech Merle)
  • While the small gites with personal care and wonderful dinners are great, the gite communals are often a great change of pace--usually low cost, often with very good kitchens, and in many cases left open so that you can self-check-in at any hour. We had a great time at these places in Saugues, Nasbinals, Espagnac, and Auvillar (a 5-star gite communal)
  • Unpopular opinions: a) I think the GR65 is easier than the Camino Francés, b) don't be persuaded by the absolute necessity of trekking poles unless you are older, have joint issues, and (most importantly) have actually trained with and know how to use them effectively--they're a placebo for lots of people out here, c) I like Decazeville (great Carrefour supermarket, good bakeries, really nice stamp in the tourist office) and don't get the disdain for it at all
  • Mondays created more problems for us on this trip than Sundays
  • After Lectoure, we left the GR65. We then followed the GR de Pays “Coeur de Gascogne” to Auch over two days... sort of. The route bypasses Fleurance and I thought that was pretty silly, so I figured out an alternative approach that took us through the city and then along a dirt track to Montestruc, reconnecting with the GR there. We hit Fleurance on a market day and it was really impressive--one of the best I've encountered on a pilgrimage. The organ was booming in the church, too. Accommodation is very limited around Montestruc, but we found a good airbnb option. Auch was fantastic, though there were no food options between Montestruc and there
  • From Auch to Maubourguet, we followed the GR-653 (the "Arles route"). We stayed with Edna in L'Isle de Noe and at Gite Laoueillou in Marciac. Both were memorable, enjoyable experiences. Edna was unceasingly generous, offering us another cup of coffee at every turn and managing our large group with ease. Her place is definitely showing its age, but we loved our time there. Meanwhile, the Marciac gite was on the outskirts of town and included an Algerian dinner and beds in a tower. One of our students forgot his credential; without calling, the gite owner showed up in Maubourguet the next morning, finding us there and dropping off the credential as he drove by
  • After Maubourguet, we transferred to the GR101. Something funky happened with the route--we continued to follow maps I had made, following a trajectory through Larreule and Caixon, but the waymarks disappeared. Then, they reappeared at the end of Saint-Lézer. May have been our failure, but everything worked out.
  • Abbaye Tarasteix is one of the most memorable stops I've had on any pilgrimage. The priest has been recovering the old abbey almost single-handedly over the last few decades, rebuilding huge portions of the buildings while also developing extensive gardens. The man has boundless energy and passion--he was a total inspiration. I thought we were taking this route in order to walk through Lourdes, but after this night I felt like Lourdes was a bonus and Tarasteix was the transformative place
  • After Ibos, we followed a variant to Lourdes to shave off a handful of km, walking through Ossún and then following the Chemin Vert. We had a tight schedule and wanted to free up another hour in Lourdes and this worked really well. Most of it was unmarked, but it was easy enough to sort out on Google Maps and wikiloc.
  • In Lourdes, we attended the Blessed Sacrament procession at 5pm, the candlelight procession at 9pm, and then used the next morning to provide time for interested people to bathe. Our group had radically divergent views on Lourdes, which I think is not unusual, but I'm glad to have witnessed it
  • From Lourdes, we followed the GR78 nearly all the way to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port (rejoining the GR65 shortly before St-Jean-Le-Vieux). Food is definitely harder to come by in this section, so you've got to plan ahead more or be happy with restaurants. (For example, we bought food in Oloron and carried it the next day to L'Hopital-St-Blaise to cook dinner there.)
  • There are some fun/neat things to see on this stretch. We enjoyed the Grottes de Betharrám (a big cave complex with some kitschy elements), the Lindt factory store in Oloron (definitely not a factory visit--nothing to see here, just cheap chocolate), and the sound/light show at the church in L'Hopital-St-Blaise.
  • We stayed in Arudy and that was a bit trickier from a route-finding perspective. While info online suggested we should break from the GR in the center of Sainte-Colome, we followed the GR out of town and then found a signposted detour to Arudy. However, after joining a highway the red/white stripes called for a left turn and these led us away from Arudy. We may have missed something. If you find yourself on the highway walking towards a large Intermarche, turn around! Leaving Arudy, there were no waymarks. After crossing a bridge at the end of town, we found GR78 waymarks calling for a left turn. Instead, though, we followed the instructions we had found online, taking the highway a couple more km and then joining the GR78 near the D232. This worked fine.
  • Overall, I think I preferred this walk to the GR65 from Lectoure, which I find to be much less interesting than the parts preceding it on the 65 (not a criticism--it's all relative! I'd still be happy walking there!). In particular, I thought there was more variety here, with some surprisingly good stretches of walking on the GR78 where I anticipated the onslaught of corn fields that I'd encountered elsewhere in southern France. That's not to say we were corn-free, but there was enough variation to make it feel more pleasant when it appeared. Others may find the lack of facilities to be a turnoff, though. There were definitely some longer stretches without creature comforts and pilgrim accommodation was less frequent as well. This would have been more challenging if it were the first two weeks of our walk; by this point, though, we were road-tested and well-prepared for that.
  • I never know exactly how to end this walk--it's the only route I take students on that doesn't end in "the" destination. Last time around, we took the GR10 from St-Jean to Hendaye/Irún, so that they would have the physical challenge of the Pyrenees, the ocean arrival in Hendaye, and the border crossing into Spain to all offer a sense of closure. And that worked well! Not being able to leave things alone, I decided to mess with it this time and end by crossing the Pyrenees into Roncesvalles and stopping there (we needed to make up a few days to compensate for the Rocamadour and Lourdes jaunts). I was nervous about this, but it was actually a fantastic conclusion. The students had a day to experience the Camino Francés and to also feel strong and accomplished--while everyone around them was huffing and puffing, they were singing and bouncing up (and down) the mountain. More importantly, having the pilgrim mass in Roncesvalles that night as a bookend to the Le Puy mass was a powerful note to end on, as was the fact that Roncesvalles is really just about pilgrims, whereas Hendaye/Irún (or St-Jean, even) are more tourist spots. This also left the students hungry to return and "complete" their walk later
I'm happy to help people sort through any logistical issues if they have questions.

Dave

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dave,
What a wonderful report you have provided of your journey through France with your students! Thank you for sharing such informative notes. How splendid that your group could end at Roncesvalles monastery and attend the poignant evening mass and pilgrim blessing. Now your class is set to continue on a pilgrim path sometime in the future.

(Since you are from Portland the next time you pass Mt Hood please honor that magical snowy presence. 62 summers ago almost to this date on an AYH trip at 17 I climbed the path up those slopes from Timberline lodge in midnight starlight to eventually watch dawn break from the crest ...A lifetime of wanderlust started on that snowy path)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I envy your students Dave. What a great experience for a young person to have, under the guidance of someone like yourself. Many thanks for your work on the Cicerone CdelN guidebook, was a great help for me.

I envy your students Dave. What a great experience for a young person to have, under the guidance of someone like yourself. Many thanks for your work on the Cicerone CdelN guidebook, was a great help for me.

Ha! Envy their teacher! Thank you for the compliment; we're finally moving forward on the extensive overhaul for the new edition, so hoping to have something much better in place for next summer.

Richard - I liked it more. It felt like there was more variety, more wooded stretches, and some really nice sections along rivers. Admittedly, there's a recency bias at work here--it's been three years since I was on the southern part of the GR-65--but I also was ambivalent enough about it at that point to consider alternatives. I enjoyed the Voie des Piémonts, in particular, which had some great stretches through the Pyrenean foothills. I mentioned corn above; I'm sure my memory exaggerates it, but my defining memory of the southern GR-65 is the walk near Pimbo, with tall corn lining both sides of the route and blocking all other sights for many kilometers. My co-leader and I were on guard for these "double-corn" stretches, but we barely encountered any. Lots of single-corn (on one side, but not the other), for sure, but I can live with that!

As of now, I think I'd do this approach with the next group, instead of the southern GR-65, but I do miss the Ancien Carmel in Condom, Larressingle, the cats of La Romieu, Gite l'Alchimiste in Navarrenx, and many other parts of that route!

i so enjoyed your report and it brought back memories of my Camino in 2015. So much so that I am contemplating doing it again in 2019. Stayed at several of the same Gites mentioned in your article. Can't wait to get the new updates! Thanks for all the info. Will try deviating from my first Le Puy journey as I did not make it to Rocamadour.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Congratulations! And with a group of highschoolers! You have my admiration.
I like the French Pyrennees very much -so I took some notes of your stages
As regards the section Sainte Colomme-Arudy. Old guides propose taking a paved road just before Sainte Colomme, towards Arudy. I misssed the detour (it is not marked), went to the main (and very interesting) Ste Colomme church, hesitated for a while, and fortunately a kind local monsieur gave me the instruction to go out of town and take the detour to Arudy, as you did. In the intersection with the highway, I just followed the signpost marked "Arudy" and crossed the bridge.
I guess you did not stay at the parish albergue, because when I was there the good priest (Père Pierre Salenave) gave everybody a handout with very detailed info about different options to Oloron.

Last edited:
Having looked back through some online maps, Felipe, it looks like the Arudy bypass begins as the Voie d'Ossau. Not too long after leaving Sainte-Colome, the approach to Arudy continues straight along a minor road (unclear if paved/unpaved) while the Voie d'Ossau forks left downhill on a footpath. I think we must have just blindly followed the red/whites, not realizing that these were going to ultimately lead us in the very opposite direction of where we were headed.

I've also checked the route I mentioned leaving Arudy. Immediately after crossing the bridge over the Gave d'Ossau at the end of town, there are waymarks for the GR78 calling for a left turn. These come out of nowhere--we had expected to follow the highway for a couple km north before intersecting the GR78. Well, based on the maps at least, this looks like a great alternative--it appears to be almost entirely offroad and probably no worse than a half-km longer than the highway.

Ha! Envy their teacher! Thank you for the compliment; we're finally moving forward on the extensive overhaul for the new edition, so hoping to have something much better in place for next summer.

Richard - I liked it more. It felt like there was more variety, more wooded stretches, and some really nice sections along rivers. Admittedly, there's a recency bias at work here--it's been three years since I was on the southern part of the GR-65--but I also was ambivalent enough about it at that point to consider alternatives. I enjoyed the Voie des Piémonts, in particular, which had some great stretches through the Pyrenean foothills. I mentioned corn above; I'm sure my memory exaggerates it, but my defining memory of the southern GR-65 is the walk near Pimbo, with tall corn lining both sides of the route and blocking all other sights for many kilometers. My co-leader and I were on guard for these "double-corn" stretches, but we barely encountered any. Lots of single-corn (on one side, but not the other), for sure, but I can live with that!

As of now, I think I'd do this approach with the next group, instead of the southern GR-65, but I do miss the Ancien Carmel in Condom, Larressingle, the cats of La Romieu, Gite l'Alchimiste in Navarrenx, and many other parts of that route!
Thanks

Dave, just saw your response. Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Dave,
Great report have filed all your recommendations
Have just made a decison to walk Via Podiensis in June next year 2019 , celebrate ( if thats the word ) a big birthday with a 7
Have walked the Camino Frances in 2015 and then Porto to Santiago in 2017 and absolutely loved the experience
Must admit althoiugh carry own bag do like decent accommodation each night , but school boy French a bit of a worry . How was English on the route
Thanks for sharing
Regards Ap New Zealand

school boy French a bit of a worry . How was English on the route
Miam Miam Dodo indicates which lodgings speak English; as they tend to book up early I made reservations by email a couple months in advance. Or get your host each night to call ahead for you to arrange the next night's place. June is one of the lighter-traveled months, but the weather is still lovely.

I walked the month of June 2018, and it was mostly great weather and temps, and yes, less walkers, especially after Figeac. I basically speak no French, but I always seemed to manage anyway. You will be fine!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dave,
Great account of this route. This is exactly what i’ve been looking for. I am wondering how long it took you and your students to walk from Le Puy to Lourdes? Also what maps did you use (or that your recommend) for navigating your short cuts and deviations from the main routes? I’m hoping to do this route then connect to the Frances in Spring 2019.
Thanks, Jen

Must admit althoiugh carry own bag do like decent accommodation each night , but school boy French a bit of a worry . How was English on the route

Hi Alastair,

No problems here! I have just the pleasantries at my disposal in French. We had one chaperone who is quite good with the language and one student who was building her confidence, so the bulk of our group was smiling, miming, and getting creative. I booked ahead over email, using google translate for all of the communication, and that was fine. When hosts spoke only French, they had plenty of experience dealing with non-French speakers, and both sides quickly figure out how to manage the essentials. The only time I ever struggled was at a couple of pilgrim dinners when I walked the route alone and everybody else was speaking exclusively in French. It's tough to feel on the outside of things. At the same time, though, I was the one who chose to visit a country where I didn't speak the language! I just turned it into a game, trying to decode what I could--and in the meantime, since I wasn't speaking, I was able to eat that much more...

Dave

Dave,
Great account of this route. This is exactly what i’ve been looking for. I am wondering how long it took you and your students to walk from Le Puy to Lourdes? Also what maps did you use (or that your recommend) for navigating your short cuts and deviations from the main routes? I’m hoping to do this route then connect to the Frances in Spring 2019.
Thanks, Jen

Hi Jen,

I believe we had 21 days on the GR-65 from Le Puy to Lectoure. From there, we needed 7 days to reach Lourdes (that included a couple of very long stages) and then 6 more to reach Roncesvalles.

I wasn't happy with any of the map options out there (aside, perhaps, for the MMDD covering the GR-653 stages), so I made some for the stretch between Lectoure and Roncesvalles. I could send you the gpx tracks and then you could print your own or load them into an app on your phone. Message me your email.

Dave

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I recently returned from this year's student pilgrimage. We had 10 high schoolers in France, walking the GR-65 from Le Puy to Lectoure and then following a series of other GRs to get to Lourdes and back to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port. We also walked to Rocamadour and then through the Célé Valley. We finished in Rocamadour. I had my gps with me, so I'll have precise figures for everything at some point, but I really need to buckle down and focus on some other stuff before cleaning up those tracks. For now, we'll keep things breezy and impressionistic! Assorted thoughts...
  • This was my first time seeing the light show in Le Puy and it was special--well worth a later-than-expected night before starting the walk. We have a much tighter turn-around than most (we landed at CDG at noon, walked across Paris for a couple of hours and got food, traveled to Le Puy by train and arrived around 10pm (longer than expected due to a bus replacing the train for the last leg), and then dumped our packs in the hostel and immediately checked out the lights. Then, up early the next morning for mass, breakfast, the Needle, the statue of Mary, and a 10am start for Montbonnet. I'm sure some people are cringing at that, but I love it--none of us end up feeling much jet lag and there's an intensity to the start that makes for a definitive transition
  • While there were 40-50 pilgrims at the Le Puy mass, it never felt like there were more than 10-15 other pilgrims around us on the road. (Of course, we brought our own crowd everywhere.) Gite owners kept telling us that June is the dead month--numbers drop off dramatically, as the spring peak has passed and the vacation months haven't officially begun. Seems like a great time for those who want flexibility and good weather (indeed, we only had a single day of rain on the GR65--our last, walking to Lectoure--and while it was certainly warm, it was never oppressively so)
  • The lone time we deviated from the GR65 in the first week was when we detoured to the Cascade du Déroc. This was a huge win and I encourage everyone to do it. It's pretty easy! 2km after Rieutort, and immediately after crossing the memorable bridge over the Le Bés, turn left. You'll follow that road most of the way, continuing straight through a messy intersection (the road curves right uphill after passing by possible left and right turns) and then taking the next left. Google Maps can give you a good feel for this. There are no waymarks in this stretch, but after you pass the falls you'll encounter a bar. Red/white stripes pick up immediately after that and carry you on to Nasbinals. I don't think this added more than a km or two to the walk and the falls were awesome. This was already one of my favorite days of walking and the falls only served to accentuate that
  • This was my first time walking to Rocamadour. I've been eagerly anticipating it since we visited Rocamadour by bus as a day-trip last time around. The walk was... ok? The first 10km leaving Figeac were pleasant in the early morning, passing through a narrow, foggy valley with all kinds of farm animals lining the way (and a bunch of peacocks, for some reason!). I'm not sure what makes Cardaillac one of the "most beautiful villages" in France--it's nice, don't get me wrong, but it feels a bit disjointed. The next 35ish km to Gramat were fairly unremarkable. I have a hard time remembering too much from this stretch, though Lacapelle-Marival was a nice town. Hospitality in Gite du Gramat was great, so that was a highlight. The last bit of the route from Gramat to Rocamadour was fantastic--it's definitely the best part of this walk--following the Alzou river through a narrow gorge and passing a series of old mills. Seeing Rocamadour appear above us was really good... but it kind of pains me to note that the appearance is much more striking (to me) from above. Our bus arrival a few years ago absolutely floored us; this... impressed us.
  • That said, we loved having a lot of time in Rocamadour, and it was particularly atmospheric in the evening. There's a grocery store near the village at the top and (if you're looking for something completely different) a monkey sanctuary nearby. If I were going to splurge anywhere on a trip (and didn't have a large group with me), I might have tried to book a hot air balloon ride here--seems like the right place for that life experience
  • We bused back from Rocamadour to Figeac using Bernard Taxi. It's our second experience with them and they are prompt and reliable. Highly recommended
  • The Célé Valley is one of my favorite places to walk anywhere. That was the main reason for us to bus back and not keep walking--there's no way I'm skipping the Célé. That said, this was a tougher experience in large part because there was a massive bug infestation in the Célé--caterpillar-like bugs that hung from trees all along the trail, dangling from webby threads. We started calling them silkworms, just because of the feel of those webs as they wrapped around us as we walked. Having poked around a bit online, it looks like they might be box moth caterpillars. Anyway, it was bad. And unlike spider webs, the first person through wasn't able to clear the route for others; I walked at the front with a couple of large sticks and emerged coated, but everyone else still faced the same gauntlet. We ran into a couple of pilgrims in St. Gery who bailed on the Célé and skipped ahead because they were so tired of it. I've been in the Célé twice before around the same time of year and never encountered this, but maybe the late spring pushed it back? Maybe it's a growing infestation? I still loved the Célé and would still return, but it definitely made the walk more of a struggle at times. We did encounter the "silkworms" a few more times later on, including briefly in the Pyrenean foothills, but never in anything approaching the same magnitude as in the Célé
  • The waymarks were almost always reliable and clear. The lone place where things got really messy was between Pasturat and Cahors. I've done that route twice before and thought I had a good handle on it. Pride goeth before the fall.
  • A quick note for fans of the train bridge: my goodness, was it overgrown this year. We had to abandon it shortly after landfall because the brambles were so thick and the descent was... adrenaline-inducing
  • The hospitality in gites is one of the absolute highlights of this walk and, if anything, it's even more special when you get to return for a second (or third!) time. We felt so grateful to be back at places like Gite L'Escole in Montbonnet, Gite del Roumiou in St. Come d'Olt, Gite du Gua in Figeac, the Relais du Pasturat, Le Nid des Anges in Lascabanes, and the Gite Communal in Lauzerte. Special mention has to go to Gite Ultreia in Moissac, with Rom and Aideen. Add us to the list of pilgrims who have been in need of something above and beyond, only to have Rom and Aideen provide it without hesitation. My suggestion list of where to stay on the GR65 will always begin there
  • It was also fun to stay in some new places this time! Among our new stays, we were particularly impressed and touched by Gite Papillon in Cahors, Gite Vita e Bella in Livinhac, and the Gite Ferme Equestre Pech Merle after Cabrerets (makes for a good stop after an afternoon visit to Pech Merle)
  • While the small gites with personal care and wonderful dinners are great, the gite communals are often a great change of pace--usually low cost, often with very good kitchens, and in many cases left open so that you can self-check-in at any hour. We had a great time at these places in Saugues, Nasbinals, Espagnac, and Auvillar (a 5-star gite communal)
  • Unpopular opinions: a) I think the GR65 is easier than the Camino Francés, b) don't be persuaded by the absolute necessity of trekking poles unless you are older, have joint issues, and (most importantly) have actually trained with and know how to use them effectively--they're a placebo for lots of people out here, c) I like Decazeville (great Carrefour supermarket, good bakeries, really nice stamp in the tourist office) and don't get the disdain for it at all
  • Mondays created more problems for us on this trip than Sundays
  • After Lectoure, we left the GR65. We then followed the GR de Pays “Coeur de Gascogne” to Auch over two days... sort of. The route bypasses Fleurance and I thought that was pretty silly, so I figured out an alternative approach that took us through the city and then along a dirt track to Montestruc, reconnecting with the GR there. We hit Fleurance on a market day and it was really impressive--one of the best I've encountered on a pilgrimage. The organ was booming in the church, too. Accommodation is very limited around Montestruc, but we found a good airbnb option. Auch was fantastic, though there were no food options between Montestruc and there
  • From Auch to Maubourguet, we followed the GR-653 (the "Arles route"). We stayed with Edna in L'Isle de Noe and at Gite Laoueillou in Marciac. Both were memorable, enjoyable experiences. Edna was unceasingly generous, offering us another cup of coffee at every turn and managing our large group with ease. Her place is definitely showing its age, but we loved our time there. Meanwhile, the Marciac gite was on the outskirts of town and included an Algerian dinner and beds in a tower. One of our students forgot his credential; without calling, the gite owner showed up in Maubourguet the next morning, finding us there and dropping off the credential as he drove by
  • After Maubourguet, we transferred to the GR101. Something funky happened with the route--we continued to follow maps I had made, following a trajectory through Larreule and Caixon, but the waymarks disappeared. Then, they reappeared at the end of Saint-Lézer. May have been our failure, but everything worked out.
  • Abbaye Tarasteix is one of the most memorable stops I've had on any pilgrimage. The priest has been recovering the old abbey almost single-handedly over the last few decades, rebuilding huge portions of the buildings while also developing extensive gardens. The man has boundless energy and passion--he was a total inspiration. I thought we were taking this route in order to walk through Lourdes, but after this night I felt like Lourdes was a bonus and Tarasteix was the transformative place
  • After Ibos, we followed a variant to Lourdes to shave off a handful of km, walking through Ossún and then following the Chemin Vert. We had a tight schedule and wanted to free up another hour in Lourdes and this worked really well. Most of it was unmarked, but it was easy enough to sort out on Google Maps and wikiloc.
  • In Lourdes, we attended the Blessed Sacrament procession at 5pm, the candlelight procession at 9pm, and then used the next morning to provide time for interested people to bathe. Our group had radically divergent views on Lourdes, which I think is not unusual, but I'm glad to have witnessed it
  • From Lourdes, we followed the GR78 nearly all the way to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port (rejoining the GR65 shortly before St-Jean-Le-Vieux). Food is definitely harder to come by in this section, so you've got to plan ahead more or be happy with restaurants. (For example, we bought food in Oloron and carried it the next day to L'Hopital-St-Blaise to cook dinner there.)
  • There are some fun/neat things to see on this stretch. We enjoyed the Grottes de Betharrám (a big cave complex with some kitschy elements), the Lindt factory store in Oloron (definitely not a factory visit--nothing to see here, just cheap chocolate), and the sound/light show at the church in L'Hopital-St-Blaise.
  • We stayed in Arudy and that was a bit trickier from a route-finding perspective. While info online suggested we should break from the GR in the center of Sainte-Colome, we followed the GR out of town and then found a signposted detour to Arudy. However, after joining a highway the red/white stripes called for a left turn and these led us away from Arudy. We may have missed something. If you find yourself on the highway walking towards a large Intermarche, turn around! Leaving Arudy, there were no waymarks. After crossing a bridge at the end of town, we found GR78 waymarks calling for a left turn. Instead, though, we followed the instructions we had found online, taking the highway a couple more km and then joining the GR78 near the D232. This worked fine.
  • Overall, I think I preferred this walk to the GR65 from Lectoure, which I find to be much less interesting than the parts preceding it on the 65 (not a criticism--it's all relative! I'd still be happy walking there!). In particular, I thought there was more variety here, with some surprisingly good stretches of walking on the GR78 where I anticipated the onslaught of corn fields that I'd encountered elsewhere in southern France. That's not to say we were corn-free, but there was enough variation to make it feel more pleasant when it appeared. Others may find the lack of facilities to be a turnoff, though. There were definitely some longer stretches without creature comforts and pilgrim accommodation was less frequent as well. This would have been more challenging if it were the first two weeks of our walk; by this point, though, we were road-tested and well-prepared for that.
  • I never know exactly how to end this walk--it's the only route I take students on that doesn't end in "the" destination. Last time around, we took the GR10 from St-Jean to Hendaye/Irún, so that they would have the physical challenge of the Pyrenees, the ocean arrival in Hendaye, and the border crossing into Spain to all offer a sense of closure. And that worked well! Not being able to leave things alone, I decided to mess with it this time and end by crossing the Pyrenees into Roncesvalles and stopping there (we needed to make up a few days to compensate for the Rocamadour and Lourdes jaunts). I was nervous about this, but it was actually a fantastic conclusion. The students had a day to experience the Camino Francés and to also feel strong and accomplished--while everyone around them was huffing and puffing, they were singing and bouncing up (and down) the mountain. More importantly, having the pilgrim mass in Roncesvalles that night as a bookend to the Le Puy mass was a powerful note to end on, as was the fact that Roncesvalles is really just about pilgrims, whereas Hendaye/Irún (or St-Jean, even) are more tourist spots. This also left the students hungry to return and "complete" their walk later
I'm happy to help people sort through any logistical issues if they have questions.

Dave
What a wonderful read! We walked le puy to Conques 2 years ago and hope to return in 2022. We loved our journey from SJPP over the Pyrenees in 2016 but I wonder if you have walked the section on the Arles route and could compare? Thanks for your writing…enjoying your thoughts from the via podiensis FB page!

Hi Dave
I am looking at walking from Figeac/Salviac to Lourdes. I am going to go through your report thoroughly with a map and pins. I am not sure how much time to devote. We went from Le Puy to Conque i think in 2013 and I still remember it fondly

Here are the stages that we followed from Lectoure (where we broke with the Via Podiensis), for your reference (all distances km). I wouldn't recommend some of these, but we only had so many days to work with, there will only so many accommodations that could absorb a group of our size, and my students have the dual advantages of young legs and not knowing any better...

SuMontestruc-sur-Gers20.5
MAuch30
TL'Isle-de-Noe23
WMarciac31.5
ThAbbaye Tarasteix38.5
FLourdes36.5
SaLestelle-Betharram14.5
SuArudy25.5
MOloron-St-Marie24.5
TL'Hopital-St-Blaise24
WSaint-Just-Ibarre40
ThSJPDP23.5

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here are the stages that we followed from Lectoure (where we broke with the Via Podiensis), for your reference (all distances km). I wouldn't recommend some of these, but we only had so many days to work with, there will only so many accommodations that could absorb a group of our size, and my students have the dual advantages of young legs and not knowing any better...

MAuch30
TL'Isle-de-Noe23
WMarciac31.5
ThAbbaye Tarasteix38.5
FLourdes36.5
SaLestelle-Betharram14.5
SuArudy25.5
MOloron-St-Marie24.5
TL'Hopital-St-Blaise24
WSaint-Just-Ibarre40
ThSJPDP23.5
Thank you - I am looking at the walk done by

MAuch30
TL'Isle-de-Noe23
WMarciac31.5
ThAbbaye Tarasteix38.5
FLourdes36.5
SaLestelle-Betharram14.5
SuArudy25.5
MOloron-St-Marie24.5
TL'Hopital-St-Blaise24
WSaint-Just-Ibarre40
ThSJPDP23.5
Thank you I am going through a walk by jirit and there is a downloaded plan the walk was done in 2012 - a second ago if you look at the time the pilgrimages have been going for. Again Thank you so much.
Jo

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back