• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trouble getting QR code to enter Spain?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just filled out the form on the app and tried to add my vaccine certificate to get a QR code and it just rejected it because when it read my vaccine QR code it picked up it was not an EU one. Any advice? I leave in about 36 hours so getting a bit nervous!
Three comments:

Don't get nervous. It will be ok.

I've started to fill out a form right now. First observation: The form has slightly changed compared to earlier versions.

You must pick "Other Certificate" and fill in the details in the fields that you then see. You will not be asked to upload your Australian Certificate (I think that this step was different in earlier versions). The other two options - EU Digital Covid Certificate and EU Digital Covid Certificate equivalent - will not work for you. That's because Australia is not on the **List of countries with active Digital Covid Certificate equivalent.

SpTH 26Mar22.jpg

Three comments:

I've started to fill out a form right now. First observation: The form has slightly changed compared to earlier versions.

You must pick "Other certificate" and fill in the details in the fields that you then see. You will not be asked to upload your Australian Certificate (I think that this step was different in earlier versions). The other two options - EU Digital Covid Certificate and EU Digital Covid Certificate equivalent - will not work for you.

View attachment 121284
Yes it does not come up on my app. Trying to decide if to start a new form?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes it does not come up on my app. Trying to decide if to start a new form?
I can't quite visualise that "is does not come up on my app". On my iPhone, sometimes the keyboard covers the lower part of the screen. Is this the case? I usually just tap on the form to make the keyboard disappear.

You can always try to start a new form. You can also fill in the form on the website http://spth.gob.es .

I can't quite visualise that "is does not come up on my app". On my iPhone, sometimes the keyboard covers the lower part of the screen. Is this the case? I usually just tap on the form to make the keyboard disappear.

You can always try to start a new form. You can also fill in the form on the website http://spth.gob.es .
No its weird it just jumps from stage 4 to stage 6 - I am reloading the app and starting again. Fingers crossed!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
BTW did you put in your flight leaving Australia or your flight entering Spain (I am transiting in Dubai so not sure which one to put in)?
Use the number of the flight that arrives in Spain. However, the system makes no checks about the flight number (other than the correct format). Also, you must enter your seat number in order to complete the process. This sometimes poses a problem for people who do not yet know their seat number.

It's odd that it jumps from stage 4 to stage 6. I cannot reproduce this.

Use the number of the flight that arrives in Spain. However, the system makes no checks about the flight number (other than the correct format). Also, you must enter your seat number in order to complete the process. This sometimes poses a problem for people who do not yet know their seat number.

It's odd that it jumps from stage 4 to stage 6. I cannot reproduce this.
Thank you so much! Hope to see you on the Camino, if so drinks are on me!

Thank you for this link. I leave in a week and had put it off till now. So I filled the form out and now I wait till within 48 hours of arrival to finish, right?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for this link. I leave in a week and had put it off till now. So I filled the form out and now I wait till within 48 hours of arrival to finish, right?
Yes, you cannot complete until within 48hrs of scheduled arrival. You do need to ‘check in’ first as you need your seat number for the SPTH form - although how or if that is verified is a mystery.

If you have your vaccine certificate ready and waiting as a .pdf file the process is - in my experience - very straightforward.,

Yes, you cannot complete until within 48hrs of scheduled arrival. You do need to ‘check in’ first as you need your seat number for the SPTH form - although how or if that is verified is a mystery.

If you have your vaccine certificate ready and waiting as a .pdf file the process is - in my experience - very straightforward.,
Thank you .. I will add it as a PDF file. Regards!

In the current version of the SpTH app, only owners of an EU Digital Covid Certificate (for example: someone from France) or of an EU Digital Covid Certificate equivalent (for example: someone from the UK) upload their certificate or scan it into the app. Owners of Other Certificates (for example: someone from Canada or Australia) need to fill in all the details of their certificate manually and don't upload it.

The first two categories will receive a "Fast Control" QR code by email while the third category will get a "Document Control" QR code.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just FYI, when I flew from the US to Portugal via Spain a few days ago, the airline staff at the airport in the US told me that they could not check me in without the QR codes for both Spain and Portugal. This was a catch 22, of course, because I could not complete the forms, both of which required seat numbers, without being checked in.

In the end, the airline employee told me to just make up a seat number, so that's what I did. He told me not to bother changing it to the real one later, though in the case of Spain I did change it, because doing so was pretty straightforward.

In the case of Portugal, I did not see any way to change it in the system, so I just left it. As it turned out, upon arrival in Portugal no one was asking for the forms anyway. In Spain, they do check the forms, though I doubt they cross-check the seat numbers.

I just filled out the form on the app and tried to add my vaccine certificate to get a QR code and it just rejected it because when it read my vaccine QR code it picked up it was not an EU one. Any advice? I leave in about 36 hours so getting a bit nervous!
Which App are you referring to?

Which App are you referring to?
This one

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't want to add further layers of confusion to pandemic issues but when one walks into Spain from France, considered to be a 'medium risk' country by Spanish authorities, is it necessary to have this "R code?

I don't want to add further layers of confusion to pandemic issues but when one walks into Spain from France, considered to be a 'medium risk' country by Spanish authorities, is it necessary to have this "R code?
No. The QR code is only required when entering by air or sea.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Three comments:

You must pick "Other Certificate" and fill in the details in the fields that you then see. You will not be asked to upload your Australian Certificate (I think that this step was different in earlier versions). The other two options - EU Digital Covid Certificate and EU Digital Covid Certificate equivalent - will not work for you. That's because Australia is not on the **List of countries with active Digital Covid Certificate equivalent.

View attachment 121284
Is this also needed if u are starting and entering into Portugal.i have a NZ international vacine pass.

I unfortunately used the flight from SFO to AMS (transiting through) instead of the AMS-Bilbao flight. I've emailed the Spain Health people to see if/how to update the QR codes we got. :( Leaving tomorrow!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I unfortunately used the flight from SFO to AMS (transiting through) instead of the AMS-Bilbao flight. I've emailed the Spain Health people to see if/how to update the QR codes we got. :( Leaving tomorrow!
Maybe just start a new one?

If that is possible -- had some trouble registering and creating two log-ins in the first round. Will try it. 👍🏻

Edited to add, re-did the first one; just didn't go through my log in.

Last edited:
This one

Thank you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I don’t think the-seating is verified before departure. I put in the seats we initially reserved, but then we upgraded, and we never input the new seats. I think they might want the seat assignments for contact tracing?

Just as an update I got my QR code! I learnt two things that were helpful: 1) put in the flight you are arriving in to Spain (not the one leaving Australia) and 2) the QR code will be released 48 hours before that flight takes off.
Jenni
Re point 1)
Remember the same applies on return trip to Oz. The flight will be the one into Australia from your home bound transit stop.
(I found this out when returning from USA 2 mths ago /transiting Fiji)
We have a form to be completed online (at the moment / but could change )… that requires all this data plus uploading passport page as well as uploading the ‘chip’ data !! All from the phone …

I’ll be joining the throng to spain & return too !! Buen camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don’t think the-seating is verified before departure. I put in the seats we initially reserved, but then we upgraded, and we never input the new seats. I think they might want the seat assignments for contact tracing?
Yes, the seat assignment is for contact tracing in case the passenger gets infected during the 14 days after arrival in Spain. In fact, either the passenger himself/herself or another passenger seated in the vicinity. I don’t know to what extent contact tracing is even still done these days.

The app performs no checks on the seat number other than to check that the format is correct: digits followed by one letter.

The seat number is one of the few data that the passenger can modify after the SpTH QR code has been generated and sent by email to the passenger. The system then generates a new QR code and emails it to the passenger.

Last edited:
Just to be on the safe side, you should also print it out so you have the QR code on the hard copy.
This is good insurance! My sister left her IPhone on the plane! When we got close to the checkpoint she realized she did not have her phone…but we could not return to the plane from where we were. Luckily, I also had the QR codes on my IPad and we were able to finish the process. We then went immediately found a nice woman at our carousel even before the baggage came, who contacted someone at the plane. Wehadthe cellphone back in 15 minutes. But if we not had a back-up copy of our QR code, it could have been more complicated. I will bring a paper copy in the future as well (remembering Murphy’s law).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sounds like an absolute pain …..

🙁
I don't know what you are referring to but if it's about using the SpTH app and filling out the form to obtain a confirmation code: No, it's not an absolute pain. It's pretty easy to do. Thousands of passengers would confirm this. Except that they have no reason to post here.

There is also a well-designed user manual that goes with the SpTH app and there are additional interactive question marks with specific information for various data fields that require an entry. I don't know whether people make much use of this kind of help and information.

Last edited:
Fwiw, people who are vaccinated and have EU Digital Covid certificates or equivalents as proof no longer need to fill in the SpTH form and no longer need to get a QR code before their flight to Spain. So this is everybody who got vaccinated in the European Union and in a number of other ('third') countries such as the UK. More info about the new process on https://www.spth.gob.es. For those without an EU DCC or equivalent, the process is the same as before, they have to fill in the online form and obtain their QR code.

I don't see a handy list of countries who issue equivalents for their vaccinated citizens on the SpTH website. You can find such a list on the European Commission's webpage: https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work...nes-europeans/eu-digital-covid-certificate_en. They also have a map where these countries are marked in green.

Countries who issue EU DCCs or equivalents:

EU DCC and equiv.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Jenni I leave for Spain from Australia in 10 days and wondered how you got on with the QR code? I’m also verifying that Australians only need 2 vaccinations plus a booster and don’t require a PCR test.

Jenni I leave for Spain from Australia in 10 days and wondered how you got on with the QR code?
You read and replied only to Jenni’s post #1 in this thread. Read her post #18 in this thread where Jenni says that she got her QR code and that she had learnt two things that were helpful.

You still have to wait 8 days before you can finish your application and get your QR code for your flight to Spain and it’s very easy to do. Buen Camino!

You read and replied only to Jenni’s post #1 in this thread. Read her post #18 in this thread where Jenni says that she got her QR code and that she had learnt two things that were helpful.

You still have to wait 8 days before you can finish your application and get your QR code for your flight to Spain and it’s very easy to do. Buen Camino!

Getting a QR code appears to be an anxiety producing experience for some of us non europeans because one can only complete the process 48 hours before their flight. Those of us who have already done it, know the process works smoothly. However might there be a way, until this process changes, to post a highly visible reference to QR codes stressing it can’t be completed until 48 hrs before and assuring pilgrims that it works smoothly.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

and I don’t seem to need a negative PCR . Is that correct?

However might there be a way, until this process changes, to post a highly visible reference to QR codes stressing it can’t be completed until 48 hrs before and assuring pilgrims that it works smoothly.
You mean on this forum? Is that really necessary? SpTH website and SpTH app are well made; they have been improved since the beginning; there is ample explanation and information which has been well translated into English.

I now see that SpTH have eased the deadline for the earliest point in time when travellers can complete filling in their data and receive their QR code. They can now do it as early as 72 hours before departure from their home country; it used to be 48 hours. Quote from the SpTH website (I did modify the language a little 😇):

You must fill in the entire form on the website or app. You can send the form to the Spanish health authorities from 72 HOURS before the departure of your flight. Once sent, you will immediately receive an email with a QR code that you will have to show before boarding and also when passing through health control at the destination airport in Spain. You print out the QR code or keep it on your mobile phone.

Last edited:
You mean on this forum? Is that really necessary? SpTH website and SpTH app are well made; they have been improved since the beginning; there is ample explanation and information which has been well translated into English.

I now see that SpTH have eased the deadline for the earliest point in time when travellers can complete filling in their data and receive their QR code. They can now do it as early as 72 hours before departure from their home country; it used to be 48 hours. Quote from the SpTH website (I did modify the language a little 😇):

You must fill in the entire form on the website or app. You can send the form to the Spanish health authorities from 72 HOURS before the departure of your flight. Once sent, you will immediately receive an email with a QR code that you will have to show before boarding and also when passing through health control at the destination airport in Spain. You print out the QR code or keep it on your mobile phone.

@Kathar1na , for you, the instructions you posted would be enough! And of course the instructions are posted on the SpTH website. The airlines also indicate that the airline process can not be completed until 3 days before the flight. But clearly pilgrims remain anxious or need reassurance ,or are not understanding the process and may be seeking further clarification. Judging by the continual questions regarding QR codes, it might help to have a temporary refernce to QR codes….Not just the official instructions but a reassurance that many pilgrims have used it and it works well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm flying tomorrow and filled in my SPTH form yesterday immediately the QR code came up . What a relief!
Now just trying to decide whether its worth paying $1,500 for an upgrade to Dubai or just suffer my economy seat. My Scottish upbringing is holding me back. :rolleyes:

I'm flying tomorrow and filled in my SPTH form yesterday immediately the QR code came up . What a relief!
Now just trying to decide whether its worth paying $1,500 for an upgrade to Dubai or just suffer my economy seat. My Scottish upbringing is holding me back. :rolleyes:
I understand totally, although my ancestry was Irish. Now that I have a little more money and can make choices about how I travel, I hope that I would decide depending on whether the upgrade would improve my rest on the flight and my mobility on arrival. Buen camino.

€83,-
How exciting . Safe travels and buen camino.
I’ve always travelled economy in the past but after a few years of no air travel the thought of an economy seat fills me with dread.
It’s such a long flight from Australia !

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back