• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trouble: San Salvador route

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
Hikers and bikers planning to use the Camino San Salvador/Camino Viejo take note: Civil disturbances in the mining villages of northern Leon are turning violent. Today in Ciñera, a village on the road route after Pola de Gordon, Guardia Civil "antidisturbios" are sweeping through the village, rounding up "troublemakers" (miners), rockets and tear gas are being fired. This is part of a continuing struggle, which has affected camino towns in Asturias and Cantabria, and periodically interrupted road and railway travel in the region in recent weeks.

No pilgrims have been affected by the violence. Pilgrims are NOT targets, but they should be aware of what is going on in the towns around them and steer clear of trouble spots. Pilgrims now on the San Salvador can skirt the trouble by leaving the road route in Pola de Gordon and following the waymarked path to Buiza and Poladura de Tercia and onward to Pajares.

Be careful out there. Pray for peace, pilgrims!
Reb.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is a great post and I'd like to add one thing.

If you are an American remember that we are an extremely "political" and opinionated group. With the passion and trouble in the Eurozone these days - Keep your political opinions to your self. It's not like it is in America where people toss their own opinions out EVERYwhere. You can cause some hard feelings and maybe serious trouble by adding your two cents. No one wants to here it right now. Our friends in Spain and other parts of Europe are dealing with some serious and terribly tough issues. What we think about it doesn't matter.

rubyslippers said:
This is a great post and I'd like to add one thing.

If you are an American remember that we are an extremely "political" and opinionated group. With the passion and trouble in the Eurozone these days - Keep your political opinions to your self.
Hi Rubyslippers!

You are right that things are confused and tough in Europe at the moment, but I wouldn't want Americans or anyone else to feel they couldn't discuss political issues at all. It just depends how you do it and with which audience etc. Any kind of 'You should do...' dictates won't go down well, but comparative and reflective discussions should be fine. The Camino raises ideas that could manifest themselves in a political way, which is fine.

I certainly agree that discussing the benefits of free market capitalism with a group of rioting miners may not be the best idea at the moment. :D

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Completely in agreement with tyrrek! I loved the constructive and interesting talks/ debates with fellow peregrinos and local spaniards on the Camino.

SabineP said:
Completely in agreement with tyrrek!
I never thought I would hear those words unless I wrote them myself! :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I posted this because the uproar along the camino could affect the people hiking up there. Nada mas.

Interesting how people from all over the world express opinions, wear flags and other nation-flavored gear on their packs, and just generally be themselves around here, but Americans are shushed when they do the same things.

I was born in the USA, but I do not think I am any more pushy or opinionated than anyone else. I know I have the same freedom of expression as anyone else, and I will continue to express myself, with all due respect for my fellows.

Reb.

Rebekah Scott said:
Interesting how people from all over the world express opinions, wear flags and other nation-flavored gear on their packs, and just generally be themselves around here, but Americans are shushed when they do the same things. Reb.
Hi Reb! Nobody is shushing Americans here, except...Americans!

Buen Camino!

Sorry for the disturbances b/w miners and the police. As an American that lived overseas when opinions of us and our country were low, I tried to keep a low profile. Im thinking of following the same rules for my Camino- don't wear stuff that advertises I'm American, dont get entangled in debates about our policies, etc.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Personally I don't go for the national flags etc. on backpacks because I don't really get the message. Is it supposed to be 'I'm Scottish, so I'd rather speak with other Scottish people'? Or 'I'm Scottish, not English'? Nationality is fortunately one of the things we can ditch on Camino and just learn from people's experiences of where they live. We don't have to set ourselves up as a personal United Nations. Buen Camino!

Part of the joy in interacting with people from other parts of the world is to grow in an appreciation and understanding of varied personalities, customs, and yes, opinions. Sometimes in our differences we can see how much the same we all are in purpose.

Perhaps because I am an American, I more often notice that it seems to be other Americans who want to deny their nationality and advise others to do the same. Do what you want, but I find that advice to others misguided. That’s not to suggest marching down the street chanting USA, USA. Rather, when traveling instead of hiding our identity, we can become ambassadors of a sort for our county. Act respectfully. If we all do so it is doubtful that we or our country in general will be met with negative sentiment.

I lived many years in Europe and continue to travel extensively both for business and pleasure to virtually all parts of the world. I am a proud American. No reason to hide it, no reason to apologize.

As for people with flags and other identifiers on backpacks, I rather enjoy knowing where a person is from. It is often a conversation starter.

I totally agree with Markss. Living and working in Germany and Great Britain for a total of 14 years I noticed how differently people were treated when they were respectful and not so respectful. Be the ambassador. Enjoy your walks and talks. Try to speak the local language. Drink and eat the local food and drink. Enjoy your Camino.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
markss said:
As for people with flags and other identifiers on backpacks, I rather enjoy knowing where a person is from. It is often a conversation starter.

I wear a Union Jack [UK!] so any other pilgrims know they can speak to me in English. In May this year I looked for national flags on backpacks to see if there were any more from the UK. There weren't - I was the only Brit on the camino, apparently! And I suppose I'm quite proud to be English, and can see no harm in 'making a statement'.

Buen camino!

Stephen.

i.m proud to wear my union jack patch on my pack

one great wit advised no one to discuss religion,politics or sex in polite company

as for europe being in the S***.....?

we as a continent are the cultural continent of the world....we just can.t balance our check books...all paper money whizzing round

Stephen Nicholls said:
markss said:

I wear a Union Jack [UK!] so any other pilgrims know they can speak to me in English.
Good points.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back