• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trouble with Accommodation along the Via Podiensis

Lynnem

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
Apologies in advance for this long post. My husband and I are planning to walk the Camino Via Podiensis from the middle of March. We walked the Camino Frances in 2014. My husband had a stroke in 2012 and he walked without any problems...other than he needs to have a sleep around 2pm and he couldn't organise the proverbial...in a brothel. I am the organiser and researcher of our Caminos. I am having trouble getting accommodation along the Via Podiensis. Firstly a lot of the places don't open until April....and secondly they aren't receiving Pilgrims until 4 or 5 pm. I have researched and read a lot about this walk ...but now that I am down to the nitty gritty of getting somewhere to stay I am wondering if I have chosen the wrong Camino. My husband just says "we'll be right. We'll get something when we get there". I've told him that this Camino is different... Any suggestions or points of view will be very much appreciated.
I am thinking that we just wing it and if we can't get accommodation ...take a Taxi to where we can and then back again and start walking again. This is really starting to stress me out. The Camino France was so easy i.e. not at all stressful

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I started my walk out of Le Puy in July 2012. I didn’t pre-book anything. Being alone, meant I needed only one bed, but I stayed in private rooms about half the time. I was flexible and if you are willing to shuttle back and forth in a taxi, it seems you are also flexible enough to ‘wing it’. The pre-booking often has more to do with giving the host enough notice to have sufficient food on hand.

Is there any reason why your husband can’t take his 2 pm nap in a park or a field? Then, refreshed, continue to walk?

Bon chemin!

Thanks so much for your response. You have reinforced the conclusion I was coming to..... I just read your response to my husband and he said "YES I can definitely try to have a sleep in a park or field... good idea" We are going to deviate to Lourdes as well... so he said he will get a cure there and his memory and energy will be restored.... we can only hope LOL Thanks again

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Lynnem March is early to start walking from Le Puy - the Aubrac Plateau may still be deep in snow.

I've walked the Podiensis twice but the earliest I've started was in April. Then my experience was similar to @NorthernLight - I did not need to book more than two or three days ahead, and usually only the night before. Unless it was a very busy time (a French holiday, or weekend in a popular section) booking only needed to be in sufficient time for the host to get in enough supplies to feed everyone.

Thank you Kanga. Yes I agree we could have snow ... it is just that this is the time that we can travel ....but we are prepared .... as much as we can be. Good that you have reinforced my thinking re booking. Many thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is a beautiful route @Lynnem - and some gorgeous river towns - Sainte-Côme-d'Olt, Espalion, Estaing, Cajarc. I could easily live in one!
It sure is. ❤️

@Lynnem From 1 April, we will be living in another town along this beautiful route - Lectoure. If you get stuck when you are in the general area, you are welcome to contact me and if we are able to help, we would be happy to do so. We will have a car

And if you happen to arrive in Lectoure before your gite opens, you’re welcome to ‘pop in’ for a cuppa or a rest if we are home.

Feel free to send me a private message if you’d like to exchange details. We use whats app when in France.

Bon chemin 🎒🇫🇷❤️

Hi, my wife and I walked from Le Puy in 2017. I had told my wife that it doesnt snow in May so we left Le Puy on the 1st of May and, yep, it snowed in the hills on the 30th April. It was cold some days but it is one of our favourite walks, just beautiful and we found you could get in to most gites etc early afternoon. We found it a bit tricky with French Public Holidays so best to check and book a day or two ahead. You and hubby will love it.

From 1 April, we will be living in another town along this beautiful route - Lectoure.

It is indeed! Caused me to go look at my photos. Another gorgeous town - on top of a hill (of course) where I think we ate rabbit stewed in Armagnac...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is a beautiful route @Lynnem - and some gorgeous river towns - Sainte-Côme-d'Olt, Espalion, Estaing, Cajarc. I could easily live in one!
Yes ...from what I have read and watched on youtube we are very much looking forward to the Via Podiensis.
Come snow, my husbands tiredness and anything else it can through at us I am sure it will be a wonderful Pilgrimage/ walk. Only 22 days till we leave Australia. Yippy !!!!

I wonder if starting the Camino in Cahors and then transporting back to Le Puy, upon reaching SJPP might work as weather strategy. It would buy you a couple of weeks for a little warm up and prepare those legs for the more challenging bit

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Apologies in advance for this long post. My husband and I are planning to walk the Camino Via Podiensis from the middle of March. We walked the Camino Frances in 2014. My husband had a stroke in 2012 and he walked without any problems...other than he needs to have a sleep around 2pm and he couldn't organise the proverbial...in a brothel. I am the organiser and researcher of our Caminos. I am having trouble getting accommodation along the Via Podiensis. Firstly a lot of the places don't open until April....and secondly they aren't receiving Pilgrims until 4 or 5 pm. I have researched and read a lot about this walk ...but now that I am down to the nitty gritty of getting somewhere to stay I am wondering if I have chosen the wrong Camino. My husband just says "we'll be right. We'll get something when we get there". I've told him that this Camino is different... Any suggestions or points of view will be very much appreciated.
I am thinking that we just wing it and if we can't get accommodation ...take a Taxi to where we can and then back again and start walking again. This is really starting to stress me out. The Camino France was so easy i.e. not at all stressful
We walked in 2021, took the Cele variant. These are the accommodations we stayed at, all very charming with full service amenities including awesome meals.

2021 LEPUY CALENDAR.jpg

€46,-
We walked in 2021, took the Cele variant. These are the accommodations we stayed at, all very charming with full service amenities including awesome meals.
Çà alors 😍. What a fabulous list. Will be very helpful to many I’m sure. And makes me feel positively ‘désordonnée’ with my own record keeping 😀

It brought back such fond memories of my walk in 2014 as I stayed in many of the same wonderful gites. Merci @billwerme 🙏🇫🇷❤️

View attachment 141477
WOW....thank you so much Bill. What a great list. I will save this list. This forum is an amazing site with such great support. Thank you all so much.

I wonder if starting the Camino in Cahors and then transporting back to Le Puy, upon reaching SJPP might work as weather strategy. It would buy you a couple of weeks for a little warm up and prepare those legs for the more challenging bit
That sounds like a plan I should also look at. Thank you so much for your suggestion.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Lynnem March is early to start walking from Le Puy - the Aubrac Plateau may still be deep in snow.

I've walked the Podiensis twice but the earliest I've started was in April. Then my experience was similar to @NorthernLight - I did not need to book more than two or three days ahead, and usually only the night before. Unless it was a very busy time (a French holiday, or weekend in a popular section) booking only needed to be in sufficient time for the host to get in enough supplies to feed everyone.
I experienced a light dusting of snow on the Aubrac at the end of March on one occasion only. Otherwise the weather was warmish but had two weeks of rain.

Hi Billwerme, this is a fantastic chart. What does pd stand for? I notice it was pretty expensive in Navarrenx.
Hi, some places required a deposit. Some prices reflect the entire or balance of fees due. Most figures are cost divided by the 5 of us, which included many times: linens, towels, washer/dryer, dinner, breakfast and picnic lunch. In Navarrenx we stayed at a nice hotel which was totally worth it, we loved that place.

€46,-
Hi, some places required a deposit. Some prices reflect the entire or balance of fees due. Most figures are cost divided by the 5 of us, which included many times: linens, towels, washer/dryer, dinner, breakfast and picnic lunch. In Navarrenx we stayed at a nice hotel which was totally worth it, we loved that place.
Yes I agree. I ended up staying 3 nights there! Unexpected, but fabulous. I’m getting itchy feet.

Hi,
I did Le Puy to Moissac 2017
Moissac to SJPDP 2018
Was a little stressed re accom so did the following
- Set my first 5days walking , IE agreed what stages and distances
- I then booked in advance from home 4 to 5 days accom in advance.
- Then used the tourist office or where I was staying (asked the hospiteloro to book ahead for me)
Sometimes when in tourist office , there’s one in most every town or village, they would book 2 days ahead.
It got really easy after a while and stayed in great places.
Best Caminos i ever experienced. Loved the route and the fact we had to eat together each evening was the best craic(fun).
Enjoy it.

Peter

I walked from Le Puy twice 2012 &2013 starting June/July I never booked any day (I don't normally book on Camino) stayed in gites d' etape where available. I had no problems getting a place. I found that if there was a local Tourist Office they were very helpful and made a point of making them my first stop. . Not a lot of info here but maybe some reassurance that I found finding accommodation was not a problem. It's a lovely Camino - Enjoy- Bien Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hello Kanga, I too will be starting from Le Puy mid-March and am wondering if there is snow on the plateau are you still able to see the direction signage? Thankyou :)

Hi Kanga,
We are planning to start the VP 31 March (we know, crazy early!). We did the Frances last year during the heat waves so thought we'd try the other extreme. We have booked our first few nights accommodations and we're assuming we will almost certainly be getting a bit wet/cold/snowed in???
My understanding is that the key will be the Aubrac plateau and how much snow there will be. Same question as SimoneLucky was asking: how good is the signage if there is snow - are there taller markers on poles or similar in case of snow?
Thank you in advance for any information/insight anyone might be able to provide.

if there is snow on the plateau are you still able to see the direction signage?

how good is the signage if there is snow - are there taller markers on poles or similar in case of snow?

Signage in many places on the Aubrac in 2012 was the red/white blaze painted on rocks on the ground. The route meanders across fields, amongst the cows (remember to close any gates you opened behind you).

If there is fresh snow on the ground, this would be a good place to have the gps tracks on your phone and watch your step.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

View attachment 141477
Wonderful list which I'm taking to the podiensis this May. Merci beaucoup.
Love

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back