• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trouble with finding beds in early September to October 2018

Hello pilgrims,
I am starting my second Camino September 3rd to October 13th. I am a little anxious on the bed scenario. When I did my first Camino in May/June 2014 I stayed in pre booked spots, etc so I would not have that worry, BUT, I know I missed a lot of what the Camino had to offer and experience. I would like to wing it this go around. Should I worry? It looks like September will be as June was in 2014.....yikes... I know I will have to break out of my comfort zone and I am all for that, just want a bed at night!
Thanks to all and Buen Camino!!
Rosemary

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello pilgrims,
I am starting my second Camino September 3rd to October 13th. I am a little anxious on the bed scenario. When I did my first Camino in May/June 2014 I stayed in pre booked spots, etc so I would not have that worry, BUT, I know I missed a lot of what the Camino had to offer and experience. I would like to wing it this go around. Should I worry? It looks like September will be as June was in 2014.....yikes... I know I will have to break out of my comfort zone and I am all for that, just want a bed at night!
Thanks to all and Buen Camino!!
Rosemary

If you are starting in St Jean Pied de Port then I would book that ahead. It is already getting full for September, which is a popular tourist and pilgrim month.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So exciting!! :) Okay, so my first Camino I walked Sept/Oct 2013. As I walked along day after day one of my Camino family members gifted me with the name of Peri"greengo" LOL I didn't have a clue, at least not at first.
Arriving in St Jean around 8:30/9:00 P.M. on a delayed train from Bayonne. I stood in line at the pilgrims office with others who did not have a bed. The pilgrims office was so good to get us all a place to lay our heads. I ended up in an attic (see photo) at an alburgue that was completo. And so it begins, the adventure of my life. I was thrilled. :)
I left St Jean rather late, not knowing what lies ahead. Perigreengo! LOL After the long hike over the Pyrenees I arrived in Roncesvalles around 5:00/5:30 P.M. and was given a bed in the overflow, the old building, the one in the movie "The Way". It was almost full. Whew!! I made it.
On day two I made pretty good time but was still one of the later to arrive in Zubiri. I stopped at the first Alburgue, Zaldiko after you cross the bridge. As I approached I saw other pilgrims getting turned away, saying completo. (They were couples.) I decided to check for myself. I heard the host say we only have one bed left. As I stood in the doorway I quickly said, "I am one, I am solo." :) I got the last bed there and found out as the day went on other pilgrims either had to walk on to Larrasoana and others were transported there. Zubiri was full.
On the way to Estella I walked with a few other pilgrims (Camino family) we arrived to find the muni-complete but were directed to another alburgue across the bridge and around the corner to find enough beds for the four of us. Whew!!
I learned quickly to leave early. Not only to beat the heat but to have a place to lay my head.
Another close call was in Hornillos. I arrived and saw a line out the door of an Alburgue. The first one I came to. So I got in que, once again, I got the last bed. A few from my Camino family went further down to the Muni Alburgue and were put in an overflow. A huge one room gymnasium with mattresses on the floor. Hornillos was full. I didn't have any other close calls because I started my feet out walking early, and got my place in que at the muni-alburgues, which quickly became completo.
If you get anything from this, I hope you take away the fact that I did not, I repeat, DID NOT book ahead, not one time. I lived off the magic of the Camino and what it would provide for me. The feeling I got back was exhilarating.
Buen Camino, Buen Camino, Buen Camino!!! :):cool:
Angela

Attachments

• Attick SJPdP.jpg
    Attick SJPdP.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
So exciting!! :) Okay, so my first Camino I walked Sept/Oct 2013. As I walked along day after day one of my Camino family members gifted me with the name of Peri"greengo" LOL
After the long hike over the Pyrenees I arrived in Roncesvalles around 5:00/5:30 and was given a bed in the overflow, the old building, the one in the movie "The Way". It was almost full. I left St Jean rather late, not knowing what lies ahead. Perigreengo!
On day two I made pretty good time but was still one of the later to arrive in Zubiri. I stopped at the first Alburgue, Zaldiko after you cross the bridge. As I approached I saw other pilgrims getting turned away, saying completo. (They were couples.) I decided to check for myself. I heard the host say we only have one bed left, as I stood in the doorway I quickly said, "I am one, I am solo." :) I got the last bed there and found out as the day went on other pilgrims either had to walk on to Larrasoana and others were transported there. Zubiri was full.
I learned quickly to leave early. Not only to beat the heat but to have a place to lay my head.
Another close call was in Hornillos. I arrived and saw a line out an Alburgue door. The first one I came to. So I got in que, once again, I got the last bed. A few from my Camino family went further down to the Muni Alburgue and were put in an overflow. A huge one room gymnasium with mattresses on the floor. Hornillos was full. I didn't have any other close calls because I started my feet out walking early, and got my seat in que at the muni-alburgues, which quickly became completeo.
If you get anything from this, I hope you take away the fact that I did not, I repeat, did not book ahead, not one time. I lived off the magic of the Camino and what it would provide for me. The feeling I got back was exhilarating.
Buen Camino, Buen Camino, Buen Camino!!! :):cool:
Angela
Oh dear Angela! Thank you so much for reading my post! You truly are my first Camino angel for my second Camino! I will relish your comments and put them to work and hope the magic works for me as it did you!! Good point to let all alburgues know that I am solo.... could make a big difference! I was so stuffy on my first Camino. I loved it, but I know it was not all it should have been, thus the feeling inside of me for four years telling me that I just HAVE TO GO BACK!! I am a shy person and that is not a complement to myself. It is something, that even at my age, just turned 64, (eeekkk) I have got to work on. I know it is never too late. Just lost my mom, who was not shy, so maybe I can draw upon her spirit! Thank you again!! You will be in my thoughts Angela as I trek forward on my second Camino in September!

Gracias,
Rosemary

Rosemaryk1, my husband and I walked the Camino Frances to Santiago from Aug. 28 to Oct. 9 in 2015 and never had a problem getting an albergue. I believe you'll be fine. Enjoy! Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I completed the CF in late Sept 2017 and I just read somewhere that over 300K people were issued with a compostella last year which I think was the busiest year ever on record. Last year I found towns were full at Zubiri, Arzua and at least 2 other places where I cant remember their names. Other albergues were near capacity wherever I stayed.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back