• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

True Monty Python type story from the Levante

nalod

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2011, Finnesterre 2011,Le Puy to SJPDP 2011& 2012,Via de la Plata,Sambrasa 2012, Mozarabe 2013, Portugees 2013.PartNorde 2011, VDPL 2014,St-Guilhem 2014.Espalion-Roncesvalles 2014.Levante2015
May 1 st is a major Holiday in Spain, it was on a Friday this year. I walked from Villa de Don Fadrique to Tembleque, approximately 32 km, it was hot. There was a German couple about ten minutes ahead of me. On arrival in Tembleque we found our intended Hostal fully booked. We tried the local Hotel fully booked, all accommodation in the town was full. Also none of the three of us had any Spanish language skills.

Next option was to get out of town to next town. Next town was Mora (as pronounced by an Irishman Morrow), 25 km away, too far to walk, it was now 4 pm. There were no train to Mora and because of Holiday no buses. We went to a local Cafe for help/advice(and maybe more). There was a train later back to the town we came from. The Germans asked me what I was going to do. I said I was going to Mora, they said no no they wanted to go today. I kept a straight face for at least a minute while this farce continued. In the end we went to Mora today.

Sometimes fact is stranger than fiction.

A very kind local rang a Hotel in Mora and then drove us there, we agreed to chip in some euro for this kind act.

Dermot

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would not have been able to keep a straight face. Well done!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The sun will come out to Mora
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow 'til there's none

When I'm stuck with a day that's grey and lonely
I just stick up my chin and grin and say, oh

The sun will come out to Mora
So you gotta hang on
'til to Mora, come what may!
To Mora, to Mora, I love ya, to Mora
You're always a day away!

To Mora, to Mora, I love ya to Mora
You're only a day away ... (25 km, to be precise...)

(My apologies to the writers of the song from Annie, 'Tomorrow', Charles Strouse and Martin Charnin...:D)

Back