• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Truehiker and wildcamping via francigena

Apicula

Time of past OR future Camino
Via francigena fall of 2014
Planning on doing Santiago de compostella
If you got any questions about via francigena, wild camping it and what gear I brought, though I have no clue about accommodations^^ did the VF the fall of 2014 18 August to 28 November with my friend.

Cheers!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you got any questions about via francigena, wild camping it and what gear I brought, though I have no clue about accommodations^^ did the VF the fall of 2014 18 August to 28 November with my friend.

Cheers!

My request: please tell me everything you can about wild camping! Apart from that....Did you ever request permission to camp in someone's yard? If so, what was the response? Did you use campgrounds? If so, what do they cost?
Oh, and all about your gear, too! Tent, stove....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My request: please tell me everything you can about wild camping! Apart from that....Did you ever request permission to camp in someone's yard? If so, what was the response? Did you use campgrounds? If so, what do they cost?
Oh, and all about your gear, too! Tent, stove....
Haha tell u everything !;) we planed so we always ended our nights between villages and cities, but we never walked more then a 200 m from the "trail" and we used a basha (in France) and used the tent more in Italy and Switzerland but we put up the basha as camouflage ^^ it's always nice that people don't know u r there, for me it's easier to relax ^^
Btw allot of boar in France and they are not that afraid of u -.- and we also had a rule that if we found a place that was awesome to camp and it was like 1h before we would break, then we would stop u never know if u would find a good place further on ^^
Worst place we slept where in under a tree on rocks, best place : after Calais overlooking the channel :)

No we did not people's language skills r quite bad and we only knew Swedish and English so communicating was very difficult ^^

We only used a camping 1 time and that was after Lausanne, but the best is when u find donation rooms,
We tried to live in a room every 9 days to take a shower and wash clothes:)

Gear:
Tent 2ppl-awesome when cold or rain
Basha/tarp- first time I used it, and now it will always be in my backpack ^^
Stove- used it 2 times, wouldn't bring it again
Camping mat in foam- very happy I didn't bring my inflated on ALLOT OF THORNS and barbedwire
Knife
Vaseline
First aid kit
Needle and fishing wire ( rat ate half my strap on backpack, so I would be screwed if I didn't have it)
Sleeping bag 3 seasons
2 flece
1 pair of pants
3 socks
3 underwear
Waterproof gloves
Rain jacket ultralight north face , great stuff :)
Bungee cord
Walking stick ,feels nice if dogs are scary
1spoon
3 freezedryed emergency rations
Solar panel charger

My friend had also a iPad with him, that one was priceless :)

Regretted not bringing a waterproof bag ( instead of plastic bag ^^) and also instead of hiking shoes I would have taken boots only because it's way way more waterproof instead of gortex^^
And u can save maps on Google and still use gap even though u r phone is in flight mode :)

Thanks - invaluable information.
Could you tell me more about the solar charger? My main concern about bringing an Ipad-Mini or Phone is that I would not be able to charge it if I was not staying in a hostel (although I suppose I could have a long lunch in a bar with an electricity outlet!)
Could you expand on your eating habits too. If you only used the stove twice, does that mean you ate a cooked meal at a bar/restaurant most days or did you just stick with bread, cheese and salami three times a day? I like to start a walking day with cooked porridge and imagine heating up some tomato and pasta for an evening meal would keep costs down - I was thinking I would use a stove a lot. WOuld be interested to hear your experience. If finding a cooked lunch is easy and not too pricey, I like that idea even better!
Is your tent bright pink? If you had a camouflage coloured tent you would not need the basha - yes?

A bar is always good and also bring like 2 rechargeable batteries with USB connection so while u charge iPad u also charge the batteries, then I think it would be np :) solar power is nice a complimentary, but don't a too small one ^^ we put ours on the backpack and move dit with the sun.

I had a multifuel stove but we felt that it took a little to long to heat the food so we only went with like u said bread, cheese, fueta, nuts, chocolate and conservs:)

No not pink, but bright orange x) I would still the basha, used for our backpacks and also as a emergency roof or as a wind proof blanket:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 21
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Really useful feedback thanks. This is helping me make some decisions. Might be back with more route specific questions later.

Hi,

I have used this site :
http://www.viefrancigene.org/fr/map/wrap/?layer=statictrack&close=operations

On the map, click on a stage, then on "details" and finally on "piste gpx". To be done stage by stage...
(the above link is in French, but I am sure there is an english equivalent).

I have then loaded these tracks to my (Android) tablet, installed LocusFree software and loaded open map tiles around the tracks. Might not be the easiest or fastest solution, but looks to be working. More when on the field...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back