• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trying to find out how my dad is doing

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with all the posts above, I am in my late 60's and go off the grid when I do the Camino and I know my family does not like that I do that. At a normal walking pace and no use of public transportation after 9 or 10 days he should be somewhere around Logrono, you might want to see if there is someone writing posts from there late this week.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No news is good news -is generally accurate.

He left Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on the 6th May.
Dennis Gillis, Canadian, mid- 70s, likes to talk, not great with computers.
If anyone has bumped into him, please give me an update.

Thank you,
Dennis jr

And next time, you should go with him. Life is short. Remembering Mom and Dad through your post, and thank you for the lovely photo. Sadly, I am stuck here in Oregon through late September, a fate that I truly love (to be honest).

Perhaps whoever might run into him could get his permission to post on this forum that he is well - that, along with some other bit of identifying information, so you know it is legitimate. That way, if your Dad wants to remain off the grid he, hopefully, can continue to do so. I know if I went on the Camino and wanted to remain off the grid, having to communicate with folks back home would, to me, defeat the purpose.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
He
Perhaps whoever might run into him could get his permission to post on this forum that he is well - that, along with some other bit of identifying information, so you know it is legitimate. That way, if your Dad wants to remain off the grid he, hopefully, can continue to do so. I know if I went on the Camino and wanted to remain off the grid, having to communicate with folks back home would, to me, defeat the purpose.
He has no desire to be off the grid, he is just not good with computers. Thank you, dennis

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
He left Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on the 6th May.
Dennis Gillis, Canadian, mid- 70s, likes to talk, not great with computers.
If anyone has bumped into him, please give me an update.

Thank you,
Dennis jr

Also, and a side comment, thank you for reminding us how common it is to have struggles with communications. I hope to learn--from several such posts---to make sure that a firm communication plan is in place, so as not to worry family (or forum) members.

Hi AugustCaminodeb
I understand what you are saying! For me it is important to be in contact with my mother so we always agreed to a short call ( two minutes ) every two days at a certain time . Just a quick hi and that's it.But it eases my mind that mum is ok. We have a small family ( my dad died and I am only child ) so there are not that much people around.
And I daily text with my boyfriend to tell him about my coordinates and depending where he is ( working worldwide ) we call each other a couple of times a week.
In no way does this communcation make my Camino less intense or worthwile. Like I already wrote on another thread : being incommunicado would make me a lesser nice person.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi AugustCaminodeb
I understand what you are saying! For me it is important to be in contact with my mother so we always agreed to a short call ( two minutes ) every two days at a certain time . Just a quick hi and that's it.But it eases my mind that mum is ok. We have a small family ( my dad died and I am only child ) so there are not that much people around.
And I daily text with my boyfriend to tell him about my coordinates and depending where he is ( working worldwide ) we call each other a couple of times a week.
In no way does this communcation make my Camino less intense or worthwile. Like I already wrote on another thread : being incommunicado would make me a lesser nice person.
Sabine, bless your sweet and kind heart.

For me, my parents and my brother are gone, leaving only an ambivalent sister. My husband, niece, son and daughter will be greatly interested in my whereabouts, however. I will spend the money needed--on cell phone et cetera--to ease their minds. It is worth it, and a small price to pay!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We should meet up for coffee! I'm in SE Portland!
I used to live in SE, on 28th! (between Hawthorne and Belmont).

I would love to have coffee with you---at some point after my retirement on 11 June, okay?

Hugs, and delighted.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
He just checked in. Safely in Azofra. Having a great trip. Thank you all!
Dennis

So tomorrow he will be in Granon most likely. He will love it, a very special place! Buen Camino, albeit different ones, to you both! SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great news Dennis. Now stop worrying and try not to spoil his time by making him being concerned about you being anxious.

Dads and their adult offspring...a story.

My dad used to go walkabout constantly. Once, he met a pretty lady online, and took a trip to Florida to spend time. Mind you, at the time he had chronic heart disease, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, hepatitis c (blood transfusion in the 80's gone awry), and was quite disabled, with a fused knee, artificial hip, and a right arm severely damaged from an industrial accident. In other words, he was not a perfect specimen of health...but that said, when he wanted to go, I had to hug him tight and then release him into the ether.

The last time I tried to advise him to avoid a trip, he not so gently reminded me that it was his life. As worried as I was, he left for Mazatlan, Mexico. When he came back, I had to call the ambulance. When personnel arrived, they didn't think he'd make it to the hospital. Intensive Care Unit, regular hospital room, nursing home, and then I sprung him from the home. Couldn't bear seeing him so downtrodden and "maintained". I wanted him to be free, and as independent as possible. I knew that he was going to require a lot from me, but I was given the choice to get him out or leave him admitted. He came home 11 days after he was admitted to that nursing home.

It was seven months of hospice and then he was gone. In my very experienced relationship with a dad--a solo dad, with wife deceased--you just have to love them tight, and let them go. If the universe sends them back with some great stories and fun times, it is meant to be. Gotta let 'em go.

When the hard time comes, rest assured that you let your parent (parents) live free and make their own decisions. Some of those decisions mean they depart sooner. I would not have chosen any different.

Thanks for letting me digress.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dads and their adult offspring...a story.

My dad used to go walkabout constantly. Once, he met a pretty lady online, and took a trip to Florida to spend time. Mind you, at the time he had chronic heart disease, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, hepatitis c (blood transfusion in the 80's gone awry), and was quite disabled, with a fused knee, artificial hip, and a right arm severely damaged from an industrial accident. In other words, he was not a perfect specimen of health...but that said, when he wanted to go, I had to hug him tight and then release him into the ether.

The last time I tried to advise him to avoid a trip, he not so gently reminded me that it was his life. As worried as I was, he left for Mazatlan, Mexico. When he came back, I had to call the ambulance. When personnel arrived, they didn't think he'd make it to the hospital. Intensive Care Unit, regular hospital room, nursing home, and then I sprung him from the home. Couldn't bear seeing him so downtrodden and "maintained". I wanted him to be free, and as independent as possible. I knew that he was going to require a lot from me, but I was given the choice to get him out or leave him admitted. He came home 11 days after he was admitted to that nursing home.

It was seven months of hospice and then he was gone. In my very experienced relationship with a dad--a solo dad, with wife deceased--you just have to love them tight, and let them go. If the universe sends them back with some great stories and fun times, it is meant to be. Gotta let 'em go.

When the hard time comes, rest assured that you let your parent (parents) live free and make their own decisions. Some of those decisions mean they depart sooner. I would not have chosen any different.

Thanks for letting me digress.
My dad was quite active and well traveled when he was younger. Did running and triathlons for many years (beat me and my brother-in law in a 10k about 20 years ago). Now he is in his eighties. Not as spry as he once was and with failing eyesight. He still wants to travel and still does. I'll admit it. I worry about him, but no way would I try to rein in his independence either. You are right, you gotta let them go. A couple of weeks ago I helped him fill out his mail-in passport renewal form and mailed it off for him. Again, I admit it. It concerned me to do that. My sister worries more than me, and told me I should have "lost" the envelope on the way to the post office, ha ha. No way would I have done that.

My dad was quite active and well traveled when he was younger. Did running and triathlons for many years (beat me and my brother-in law in a 10k about 20 years ago). Now he is in his eighties. Not as spry as he once was and with failing eyesight. He still wants to travel and still does. I'll admit it. I worry about him, but no way would I try to rein in his independence either. You are right, you gotta let them go. A couple of weeks ago I helped him fill out his mail-in passport renewal form and mailed it off for him. Again, I admit it. It concerned me to do that. My sister worries more than me, and told me I should have "lost" the envelope on the way to the post office, ha ha. No way would I have done that.

Gotta let 'em go. God willing, they come back.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back