A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Trying to shave ounces....

0 Euro Camino Bank Note
Camino(s) past & future
I'm doing my second Camino starting in Pamplona on Sep 3. Last time I went in May/June 2017 and carried a summer weight sleeping bag (55 degrees F, 1.6 lbs) and it worked great. I'm concerned that I need a different bag because it will be colder - I have an REI down bag that weighs less, but I can't get it compressed as much as the other. It's rated to about 40 degrees F, and weighs 2.2 lbs. Third choice, I have a down blanket (700 fill) that's big enough, weighs only 1.3 lbs and I can get that compressed very small (probably would take that with a liner). So, am I worrying needlessly? Am I likely to be cold in Sept to early October? Has anyone else used a down blanket instead of a sleeping bag? And, sorry, using an albergue blanket is not for me.

WineShoppe Guy

John Morritt
Camino(s) past & future
(2013)-SJPP to SdC
(2014)-SJPP to Burgos
(2015)-Burgos to Leon
(2016)- Leon to Finesterre
If your sleeping bag isn’t warm enough, sleep with tomorrow’s socks and shirt on. Still not warm enough add a second t-shirt etc etc.
This solution required no extra weight burden or cost.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019
Most people simply overlook the thermal value of what they are carrying. In extreme situations, you can use an empty rucksack to keep your feet and lower legs warm. Towels can do double duty as a throw or scarf. Your layered walking clothes when worn provide ample thermal capabilities.

No, you will likely never need more than a liner or the lightest of sleeping bags.

I have a rectangular microfiber bag liner from http://alpsmountaineering.com that has a FULL SEPARATING ZIPPER on two sides. Two such liners can be mated to form a double -wide sleep sack. I costs less than USD 30. (FIXED URL on 26 AUG. My bad, sorry...)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Thanks, everyone. Many backcountry hikers here in the US are changing over to "sleeping quilts". The reasons are that there is less weight (no hood, no zipper) and the fact that sleeping on top of the down does nothing to insulate (no loft). They are super light, have good insulation, and are very good for side sleepers like me. I'm going with that option.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019
Hope it works for you. On the end, the correct solution is the one that works for YOU.

Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route.
I remember September being more hot than cold! I'd just take the liner if it were me.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte Sept 2013
Camino del Norte Sept 2014
Camino del Norte 2015,16,17,18
I walked at that time of year with a silk liner and used blankets from albergue if needed. It's vital to travel as light as poss for me. I can only carry 5 kg as 10per cent body weight rule . Travelling light really is much better for walking

O Peracha

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago (2014)
Annapurna Base, Nepal (2014)
GR 5 - Holland to Pompey, France (2015)
Lisbon to Finesterre (2016)
I'm with you on albergue blankets and used to carry a sleeping bag and then switched to a down blanket which I love. It weighs less than a lb and while overkill for many nights (Frances) on my June/July camino this year, there were nights (Tolosona) I was glad I had it. BTW, I also take a silk liner.

alipilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2005, 2007; Madrid/Frances 2011; 1/2 VdP 2012; Portugese Litoral2019; Finisterre/Muxia2019
I would NOT suggest a quilt as it is basically just a blanket. You will still need to carry a liner or a sheet to lie on as the albergues do not provide sheets; or if they do it’s as a base and may not be changed that often.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
W Equipment Questions 39
Totu Equipment Questions 3

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%