• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

TSA news !!!!!

franmaryp

Effective April 25,2013 the TSA will allow passengers to carry small (pocket)knives and ski poles(I think hiking poles meet that criteria) on board flights :D :D I just read this online, so hope I have all the info correct. No need to check your back pack if it meets the size restriction and you aren't carrying any NOT allowed stuff. YEAH !!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My backpack is very close to the standard cabin baggage size restriction, so close that it could be rejected:(.
When ever I fly I see many oversized cabin bags and obviously overweight, but they get away with it . I am sure that if I try to travel with my backpack as carry-on I won't have the same luck

Isn't TSA only in the US?

Thanks, franmaryp,

This is great news for people in the US who want to carry on their hiking poles (and yes, TSA is only in the US).
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj

I actually have carried my hiking poles on for years with no problem, walking through security at many major airports with my poles collapsed and rubber tips on the ends. Since I typically fly non-stop from the US right into Madrid, I never had to go through security in Europe. But the good thing is that having a RULE means that we are no longer subject to the whim/discretion of the TSA agent.

Now the only problem remaining is the security that you will encounter in Europe. JohnnieWalker just recently let us know that he saw security personnel at the Santiago airport who refused to let pilgrims walk on with their sticks. I know people who have had them confiscated in London Heathrow as they were making a transfer from a US flight to a European flight. So for people who don't have a nonstop flight from the US to their European destination, it can still be problematic.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe not for long, for years they have taken the lead from the US.

Yeh, I lost a TSA approved corkscrew while transiting CDG in Paris, but this is good news for my Black Diamond poles this summer.

Is there a similar EU site that lists prohibited items? Is a EU thing or each indivdual country?
It would be interesting to see if the knife and pole regulation shows up.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I assume that the EU has a standardized set of regulations. But just speaking anecdotally, I know of at least three people who were able to take things through security in Madrid, flew to London to transfer (which meant that they had to go through security again) and were unable to carry on things that had made it through Madrid security. One set of hiking poles, one was a large umbrella, and the other was some paste in a jar that was deemed too much of a liquid by London security.

I have always checked my poles for the return trip to the US just to avoid potential problems. And if they don't make it, it's not a problem since I'll be finished walking for a while.

Buen camino, Laurie

peregrina2000 said:
I assume that the EU has a standardized set of regulations.
I wouldn't make that assumption :cry:
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air-security/index_en.htm will give you an overview but unfortunately the assessment on what constitutes a weapon will be determined by the security on duty on the day at a particular airport. What passes at one may fail at the next.

If you have a direct flight from the States then you will not have a problem. It's when you change aircraft within Europe that you could have a problem. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
BlackDog said:
peregrina2000 said:
I assume that the EU has a standardized set of regulations.
I wouldn't make that assumption :cry:
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air-security/index_en.htm will give you an overview but unfortunately the assessment on what constitutes a weapon will be determined by the security on duty on the day at a particular airport. What passes at one may fail at the next.

If you have a direct flight from the States then you will not have a problem. It's when you change aircraft within Europe that you could have a problem. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

The TSA claims
This decision aligns TSA with International Civil Aviation Organization standards and our European counterparts.
If this is correct, then there should be no problem if the airlines align their cabin baggage rules. That said, every safety agency (TSA, CASA, etc) and airline reserves the right to change their own rules, so there will always be a small element of uncertainty.

Regards,

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this never-ending topic.

I think, that for US pilgrims, here are the take-aways.

-- You will be able to get your poles through US security after late April. If you fly non-stop from US to arrival point in Spain or France or wherever, there is no security to clear after the US, so you're home free.

-- If you have to make an intra-Europe transfer (either something like Chicago-London-Madrid or Chicago-Madrid-Valencia) you are at risk of losing your poles in the European security.

-- Coming home, poles should go in checked baggage.

Does anyone have any information to suggest that this is inaccurate? Thanks, Laurie

I just checked the CATSA (Canada) website. Both poles and knives are still NOT permitted in carry on luggage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status update: TSA has apparently gotten "cold feet" and so this planned rules change is being held in abeyance pending further review. While it is the pocket knives that are drawing the press attention, I would not assume that poles are unaffected (she loves to demonstrate caution with double negatives).

Because of the TSA rescinding on their carry-on limitations, I have decided to check in my backpack. It's an annoying circumstance that I had hoped to circumvent; however being lucky enough to have a direct flight to Paris, going through customs there with about 4 hours before my connecting flight to Spain, I am pretty confident that my backpack will be on board the second leg of my flight! I am putting all my faith and trust in the airlines! Scary, but I am hoping for the best :D!

Ultreia!

Mary

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are not out of the woods yet. TSA will temporarily delay implementation of changes to the Prohibited Items List, originally scheduled to go into effect April 25. This means that nothing will change for now. I will arrive to SJPDP on the 24th of May. It seems that I will have to buy my poles there at the hiking shop. Don't know if they will cost more there than on the US.

It seems that I will have to buy my poles there at the hiking shop. Don't know if they will cost more there than on the US.
Revendon, I am taking my hiking poles along! They are in my backpack and though I am checking it through, in the past it has not been a problem as long as they fit inside your pack. You don't have to leave your poles at home and purchase new ones when you arrive in Spain. If your poles fold and fit inside your backpack you can have them on the plane, it really depends on the TSA agents, -they are a fickle bunch :), whether you can have them as a carry on item or not. My recommendation would be to simply check them through in your backpack.

Ultreia!

Mary

I pack my poles and any other sharps in a postal tube and check it through. My backpack goes on board with me as cabin baggage. If the tube goes astray it's no big deal as the few things in it are easily replaced.

That tip was on the Forum many years ago (thank you to whoever posted it in the first place) and I've found it works well for me.

If you're short of time and can't wait for baggage collection, buy the poles in France or Spain. Compared to Australia (I don't know how the prices compare with U.S.) they're very inexpensive.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just FYI -- I'm in transit at O'Hare and had no trouble carrying on my collapsed hiking poles. I may have to check them in Madrid for the last leg to Valencia,but so far so good! Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie,
When your poles collapse, how long are they? I have seen different lengths in collapsed hiking poles, and mine seem longer than others. Perhaps it's the model or age of my poles. When completely collapsed, they are about 76 cm long. Do you think I can carry these on?

~Bic

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.