• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tsawwassen Camino Training

Kasseeopea

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Fall of (2016)
This past week I've noticed 3 people that are hiking around Tsawwassen with backpacks, hiking boots and poles I stopped to chat with one today and asked if she was training for the Camino Frances, her reply was "is it that obvious." Yup it is because I have been circumventing t town for the past few weeks wearing my pack. Anyways I'm starting in SJPP on September 11th and my name is Joan.. If your interested in a training session let me know. Cheers and happy training

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having lived in Seattle for 30 years, Tswsassen is near Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada. Welcome to the Board and best of luck on your continued training.

Do you guys have a Camino group that meets in Vancouver? We had a great group in Seattle when we lived there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having lived in Seattle for 30 years, Tswsassen is near Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada. Welcome to the Board and best of luck on your continued training.

Do you guys have a Camino group that meets in Vancouver? We had a great group in Seattle when we lived there.

Not sure if there is. Maybe once I've completed I will investigate... I haven't walked further than 16 km in 3 1/2 hours. I get out about 3 times a week. I have been hiking in North Vancouver and cultus lake area to get some tougher climbs in..

Yes, sometimes it IS obvious, isn't it. Sorry, but Tsawwassen isn't on my route.

No worries, I did see that I had forgotten the IS in is it obvious.. But was being lazy after a long training session take care..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
??? I hadn't noticed. I was just emphasizing the word, in agreement!

I've had peeps make comments on FB about grammar errors and am a little gun shy... Didn't mean to insult.... The last person who saw me with my gear on asked me if I was running away... I replied yup I'm walking 800km through northwestern part of Spain .... He wished me luck and so when I see him the next time he'll know what I'm doing.... When's your next Camino?

That's a reasonable pace. Do you walk that distance 3 times/week? It is hard to make the time, isn't it! How many days will you have in Spain?

It's rediculous hard trying to get in the training.. So looking forward to only having to walk. I've got around 36 days allotted.. My husband, sister and friends arrive mid October, they may be waiting for me or I might be waiting for them, I guess it depends on how it all plays out..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Joan! I'm heading out on the Frances on Sept 20th. Looking forward to it. Have to start actually training more actively now.. starting to get a little bit nervous about it all! I'll be sporting my backpack around Victoria soon enough! Buen Camino and hope to meet you along the way! ... tho you'll be well in front of me it seems.

Are you doing the up hill training on the Grind?

Trying to avoid the grind... Someone out there was saying the Camino was like doing the grouse grind everyday that worried me.. I've been up dog mountain and that was a hard hike and teapot hill 2.8 km 20 m to 400 m, it was a nice hike, Burnaby mountain, the rest of the elevation comes from around t town. Have you done the grind?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Trying to avoid the grind... Someone out there was saying the Camino was like doing the grouse grind everyday that worried me.. I've been up dog mountain and that was a hard hike and teapot hill 2.8 km 20 m to 400 m, it was a nice hike, Burnaby mountain, the rest of the elevation comes from around t town. Have you done the grind?
@Kasseeopea
I have done the grind. My general impression is that it is like the walk up to Orisson in that it is a steady, fairly steep uphill. But the terrain is worse - trail rather than mostly road. If you can walk up the grind with ease, I would guess that the walk up to Orisson would be very easy, if you just keep your own pace.

Hi Joan, Perhaps if one is considering the effort expended in climbing the Grind with a full day on the Camino - with a pack on one's back - the two might be comparable. However, I think climbing the Grind is over in about an hour and a half, whereas a day's walk on Camino is spread out over several hours. https://www.grousemountain.com/grousegrind

According to this site http://www.clubtread.com/Routes/ByRegion.aspx?Region=3 the Grind has an elevation grade of 28.4%. I went to the Camino Francés fairly content in the belief that the steepest elevation grade I would encounter was 8 - 9%. I've done the Grind and it's a different animal.

Happy training. :)

Never done it myself but I've heard a lot about it, people have said that it's pretty hard.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Are you doing the up hill training on the Grind?
If you can do the Grouse Grind the Pyrenees will be a snap...!! A looooooong time ago I ran a half marathon in South Delta so I can imagine how exciting your training must be in Tsawwassen but on the other hand you'll be well prepared for the Meseta...!! Maybe a weekend up the Coquihalla will get the body ready for Spain :D

Hi Joan,
The trails in Lighthouse Park in West Van are really great for training. They are varied in terrain and elevation - some good hills to climb. And for a close Meseta experience, it's a great walk along the West Dyke trail from Steveston to the north end across from the airport.
Buen Camino!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
WOW ... we are in trouble. Here, where we are in Florida, the steepest grade we have is on our treadmill. We are in the part of our training where we are in fully weighted backpacks + an additional 40% weight from what we will be carrying. We train at an 8% grade for 90 minutes with no breaks at 3.8 km/hr or 2.4 mph. We would have to drive many hours to reach any kind of terrain. So treadmill it is. It definitely sounds from what I am reading that we are lacking in our training, but we are in our mid 60's so we will do what we can do. Suggestions?

This past week I've noticed 3 people that are hiking around Tsawwassen with backpacks, hiking boots and poles I stopped to chat with one today and asked if she was training for the Camino Frances, her reply was "is it that obvious." Yup it is because I have been circumventing t town for the past few weeks wearing my pack. Anyways I'm starting in SJPP on September 11th and my name is Joan.. If your interested in a training session let me know. Cheers and happy training
Hi again Joan! So nice to see you again here. I'm the woman you met yesterday and told you I was a Forum junkie! Call me and we can do some walks together. I've got a hill for us! Kathy 604.940.1293

WOW ... we are in trouble.
I wouldn't say that at all! Not if you are training on a treadmill set at 8%. However, don't forget downhill training, which is equally, if not more, important. You might find some convenient stairs somewhere, in a sports facility or parking lot perhaps, and spend some time walking up and down those. Perhaps use walking poles and give yourself an upper body work out at the same time. You'll be fine; just don't forget to train those downhill muscles. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Joan, I leave on the 12th from SJPP, maybe we will meet somewhere on the Camino? I live on the North Shore so I am lucky there are lots of trails to train on. The grind is really to short but the Baden Powell trail is much better for training, it is 48 km stretching from Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove. You can do sections if you like, the only drawback is that you need 2 cars or to arrange a ride.
http://www.mountainguru.com/hike.php?trail=Baden-Powell-Trail

I wouldn't say that at all! Not if you are training on a treadmill set at 8%. However, don't forget downhill training, which is equally, if not more, important. You might find some convenient stairs somewhere, in a sports facility or parking lot perhaps, and spend some time walking up and down those. Perhaps use walking poles and give yourself an upper body work out at the same time. You'll be fine; just don't forget to train those downhill muscles. :)

Thank You:) sounds like we need to find a building with stairs, not an easy task in coastal Florida ...lol. I failed to mention we started our plank exercises for core and resistance band training too. Walking poles we have ! Stairs .. we will definitely need to find. Thank You for the sound and good advice !!! Buen Camino :)

WOW ... we are in trouble. Here, where we are in Florida, the steepest grade we have is on our treadmill. We are in the part of our training where we are in fully weighted backpacks + an additional 40% weight from what we will be carrying. We train at an 8% grade for 90 minutes with no breaks at 3.8 km/hr or 2.4 mph. We would have to drive many hours to reach any kind of terrain. So treadmill it is. It definitely sounds from what I am reading that we are lacking in our training, but we are in our mid 60's so we will do what we can do. Suggestions?
Not at all. I am 67 and normally walk only on flat terrain. When I occasionally encounter a hill or stairs, I slow down. A lot! Even the hill up to Orisson is not so bad if (a) your pack doesn't weigh much, say less than 7 kg, (b) you go slowly, and (c) you don't try to talk while you are walking. It is like walking up several flights of stairs. If you stop and rest on each landing, you will get bored but not breathless. If you try to go all the way without stopping, it is a very different matter.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Joan, Perhaps if one is considering the effort expended in climbing the Grind with a full day on the Camino - with a pack on one's back - the two might be comparable. However, I think climbing the Grind is over in about an hour and a half, whereas a day's walk on Camino is spread out over several hours. https://www.grousemountain.com/grousegrind

According to this site http://www.clubtread.com/Routes/ByRegion.aspx?Region=3 the Grind has an elevation grade of 28.4%. I went to the Camino Francés fairly content in the belief that the steepest elevation grade I would encounter was 8 - 9%. I've done the Grind and it's a different animal.

Happy training. :)

That's a good analogy, I did the grind a few years ago, I was out of shape and it was quite a challenge to reach the top.. Recently did teapot hill, its average grade is 10% and it was enjoyable.. Perhaps if I took my hiking poles to the grind it would make the difference. thanks for the sites they will be a good resource for future BC hikes

Yup that walk from Tsawwassen to Ladner is one long slog! Yes must head to the mountains for some elevation training.

Hi Joan,
The trails in Lighthouse Park in West Van are really great for training. They are varied in terrain and elevation - some good hills to climb. And for a close Meseta experience, it's a great walk along the West Dyke trail from Steveston to the north end across from the airport.
Buen Camino!!

Thanks I think I will go to lighthouse park... Living on the Delta it seems I might be getting a little Meseta training in.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not at all. I am 67 and normally walk only on flat terrain. When I occasionally encounter a hill or stairs, I slow down. A lot! Even the hill up to Orisson is not so bad if (a) your pack doesn't weigh much, say less than 7 kg, (b) you go slowly, and (c) you don't try to talk while you are walking. It is like walking up several flights of stairs. If you stop and rest on each landing, you will get bored but not breathless. If you try to go all the way without stopping, it is a very different matter.
This what we needed to hear... THANK YOU !!!

Hi Joan, I leave on the 12th from SJPP, maybe we will meet somewhere on the Camino? I live on the North Shore so I am lucky there are lots of trails to train on. The grind is really to short but the Baden Powell trail is much better for training, it is 48 km stretching from Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove. You can do sections if you like, the only drawback is that you need 2 cars or to arrange a ride.
Dang only if I didn't have to work 5 days I week I could get to all these fabulous trails..

I will be staying at Orrison on the 11th.... So perhaps we shall meet up.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank You:) sounds like we need to find a building with stairs, not an easy task in coastal Florida ...lol. I failed to mention we started our plank exercises for core and resistance band training too. Walking poles we have ! Stairs .. we will definitely need to find. Thank You for the sound and good advice !!! Buen Camino :)
Hhmmm....just occurred to me....is there a treadmill out there that can go in reverse? Walking downhill on one of those would work! :)

That's a good analogy, I did the grind a few years ago, I was out of shape and it was quite a challenge to reach the top.. Recently did teapot hill, its average grade is 10% and it was enjoyable.. Perhaps if I took my hiking poles to the grind it would make the difference. thanks for the sites they will be a good resource for future BC hikes

Good to see your training is coming along. Also good to see that Connie and I aren't the only ones spotted walking the town wearing packs for a few months! The Grind is NOTHING like the Camino, even the worst parts. As another poster put it, the grind is a different animal entirely, and you don't need to be able to do that to enjoy the Camino. The two tough spots on the Camino are the first two days, and the climb up to O Cebreiro. There are lots of other hills of course, but those are the big ones. The training we did turned out to be more than enough. The only hill you need for training is the 56th st stretch between 4th ave and the border. This is pretty close to the steeper spots of the Camino. Walk it up and back. Up and back. If you can do that ten times without passing out, two days in a row, you are ready from a hill climbing perspective. I assume you are trying the Fred Gingel stairs as well?

Our packs are in Asia right now with two of the kids, but we will be happy to join you in a training session or two. We miss it!

Had to look up Teapot Hill as I'd never heard of it; it looks great. You seem to get around a bit for your hiking.

Just days after I got back from Camino in 2013 I went with my daughter (she had limited time) to Port Coquitlam for a combination visit/hike. I was still very much in Camino mode and when I saw the sign at the trail head advising that the hike, round trip, was all of 5 k, I just couldn't contain my giggles.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hhmmm....just occurred to me....is there a treadmill out there that can go in reverse? Walking downhill on one of those would work! :)
Not ours...lol

Good to see your training is coming along. Also good to see that Connie and I aren't the only ones spotted walking the town wearing packs for a few months! The Grind is NOTHING like the Camino, even the worst parts. As another poster put it, the grind is a different animal entirely, and you don't need to be able to do that to enjoy the Camino. The two tough spots on the Camino are the first two days, and the climb up to O Cebreiro. There are lots of other hills of course, but those are the big ones. The training we did turned out to be more than enough. The only hill you need for training is the 56th st stretch between 4th ave and the border. This is pretty close to the steeper spots of the Camino. Walk it up and back. Up and back. If you can do that ten times without passing out, two days in a row, you are ready from a hill climbing perspective. I assume you are trying the Fred Gingel stairs as well?

Our packs are in Asia right now with two of the kids, but we will be happy to join you in a training session or two. We miss it!
Hey Rick;

Thanks for that advice... I will give 56th Street a work out, entertain all the peeps waiting in border line :) I've been climbing 52A then over to Stahaken, then down English bluff over to the Terrace and down climb back up then over to 4th and up Rosehill then back to Beach Grove. If the stairs aren't to busy then I do. You and your family are having a wonderful travel filled year! Cheers

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Had to look up Teapot Hill as I'd never heard of it; it looks great. You seem to get around a bit for your hiking.

Just days after I got back from Camino in 2013 I went with my daughter (she had limited time) to Port Coquitlam for a combination visit/hike. I was still very much in Camino mode and when I saw the sign at the trail head advising that the hike, round trip, was all of 5 k, I just couldn't contain my giggles.

Yes I am getting pretty bored walking around Tsawwassen and then having to listen to silly comments so needed to switch it up. I am itching to try a longer hike. When we finished teapot I added a few of the horse trails cause it was to short.

Hi, I live in New Westminster. I will be starting in SJPDP on Aug. 23. I walked in 2009 and 2011. For those I did a lot of training with other people all around including doing the grind 1 or 2 times a week, Hollyburn, Buntzen, etc. This year I have stayed closer to home doing most of my training at Burnaby lake and Burnaby Mountain. Last week I thought I'd give myself a test. I started at the lake, walked to the end, made way over to the North Road trails on the mountain, at the top I went down the Trans Canada trail to the Barnet trail, took that to Barnet Marine park did the Mayor Drummond trail to the end along the inlet and then turned around and walked back along the Barnet to Trans Canada trail and back up the mountain. I then took the TC trail across BBY mtn to Horizons restaurant and straight down toward BBY Mtn Golf course, around the golf course and back down to the lake, along the lake to my car. I had expected a 22-25 km Hike in the 5-6 hour range. I have hike all of those parts at different times but not all together. I was surprised when it took me 7 hours without a pack, but pleased when my GPS confirmed I had just done 34 km. and 2000 ft. of vertical up and down. On Friday morning I will do most of that again but with my 20 pound pack. That gave me the maximum distances we will face at any time on the camino, even if you are walking faster and further than most, and the hills are a good representation of the Camino.

The first day from SJPDP is a long fairly steep, but not technical, hill climb for about the first 10 km, it then becomes a bit more gentle and somewhat flatter. Most is on paved roads or well tracked dirt tracks. There is a bit of a hill that is taxing just before the down hill which starts at about the 20 km. mark. The grouse grind has no relationship to what you will face other than the constant uphill effort which affects heart rate and breathing. Lots of places to stop and take breathers, pictures and look at the incredible views. Remember that it is your first day and the excitement of the adventure and other walkers will tend to pull you along and help you not notice the effort as much. If you want some info on the BBY Lake and Mtn routes let me know. Again. I will walk Friday and again on Sunday up there, with pack for about 5-6 hours.

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Joan! I'm heading out on the Frances on Sept 20th. Looking forward to it. Have to start actually training more actively now.. starting to get a little bit nervous about it all! I'll be sporting my backpack around Victoria soon enough! Buen Camino and hope to meet you along the way! ... tho you'll be well in front of me it seems.
Hi Leanne and welcome to the forum. You have lots of fellow Caminoites here in Victoria. If you are not familiar with our local Chapter www.caminovictoria.ca. They host events throughout the year. Like one we did just over a week ago - joining up new Pilgrims with those who have walked in Spain, and walking at Beaver/Elk Lake with the option for a 10k or 20k, followed by picnic lunch. I walked the Camino in Sept/Oct. Gorgeous time of year. Happy walking. Maggie

Hi Michael,
As oursonpolaire pointed out - yes - we do have a group in Vancouver. And, as a matter of fact we also have weekly training walks that anyone is welcome to join. Check it our Facebook page if you're interested in joining. You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/CanadianCompanyofPilgrimsVancouver/?ref=bookmarks
The group has done walks all over the Lower Mainland, including the North Shore, Burnaby, Ladner and at least one of the historic walks. It's a great opportunity to meet people who have walked one or more camino and others who are planning to walk soon. Every Sunday ongoing ...

I've walked the Camino Frances 4 times and can assure you that walking up from SJPP to Orisson is NOTHING like the Grouse Grind. Just to put it in perspective, I was 70 the last time I went over and can't wait to do it again.

Last edited:
Hi Michael,
As oursonpolaire pointed out - yes - we do have a group in Vancouver. And, as a matter of fact we also have weekly training walks that anyone is welcome to join. Check it our Facebook page if you're interested in joining. You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/CanadianCompanyofPilgrimsVancouver/?ref=bookmarks
The group has done walks all over the Lower Mainland, including the North Shore, Burnaby, Ladner and at least one of the historic walks. It's a great opportunity to meet people who have walked one or more camino and others who are planning to walk soon. Every Sunday ongoing ...

I've walked the Camino Frances 4 times and can assure you that walking up from SJPP to Orisson is NOTHING like the Grouse Grind. Just to put it in perspective, I was 70 the last time I went over and can't wait to do it again.

When I lived in Seattle I remember attending several meetings. If I remember correctly I always enjoyed the annual celebration on the weekend of the week of July 25. We would go for a short hike and then have a pot luck dinner together and then visit the Seattle's St. James Cathedral. My memory may be mashing things up, but in my dotage I don't worry too much when the memory is so sweet. Regardless. we had a lot of people in the area that had walked the Camino multiple times. The group always welcomed the curious and those who were looking for more information. At the time I seemed to recall hearing of a Vancouver group, but never went up for a visit. It is gratifying to hear that the group is alive, very active, and continuing to share with each the joy of Camino.

My older brother was born on the 25 July; he has been gone 30 years this past May 10 - the day holds many special memories let alone an opportunity to think of St. James and the Camino itself. Every step I take on Camino is a celebration of so many loved ones who have moved on. One of the beauties of our lives as we age is to remember so many sweet memories of joyous times past while stepping into a future of our own choice.

The Camino is something in which I strive to remain daily regardless of where I find myself. When there is so much noise in the world; such painful conflicts and sorrows aplenty, the Spirit of the Camino resides at my every invitation to calm my soul and lift up my heart.

Thank you for sharing news about our esteemed pilgrims in the great, beautiful city of Vancouver.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I live in New Westminster. I will be starting in SJPDP on Aug. 23. I walked in 2009 and 2011. For those I did a lot of training with other people all around including doing the grind 1 or 2 times a week, Hollyburn, Buntzen, etc. This year I have stayed closer to home doing most of my training at Burnaby lake and Burnaby Mountain. Last week I thought I'd give myself a test. I started at the lake, walked to the end, made way over to the North Road trails on the mountain, at the top I went down the Trans Canada trail to the Barnet trail, took that to Barnet Marine park did the Mayor Drummond trail to the end along the inlet and then turned around and walked back along the Barnet to Trans Canada trail and back up the mountain. I then took the TC trail across BBY mtn to Horizons restaurant and straight down toward BBY Mtn Golf course, around the golf course and back down to the lake, along the lake to my car. I had expected a 22-25 km Hike in the 5-6 hour range. I have hike all of those parts at different times but not all together. I was surprised when it took me 7 hours without a pack, but pleased when my GPS confirmed I had just done 34 km. and 2000 ft. of vertical up and down. On Friday morning I will do most of that again but with my 20 pound pack. That gave me the maximum distances we will face at any time on the camino, even if you are walking faster and further than most, and the hills are a good representation of the Camino.

The first day from SJPDP is a long fairly steep, but not technical, hill climb for about the first 10 km, it then becomes a bit more gentle and somewhat flatter. Most is on paved roads or well tracked dirt tracks. There is a bit of a hill that is taxing just before the down hill which starts at about the 20 km. mark. The grouse grind has no relationship to what you will face other than the constant uphill effort which affects heart rate and breathing. Lots of places to stop and take breathers, pictures and look at the incredible views. Remember that it is your first day and the excitement of the adventure and other walkers will tend to pull you along and help you not notice the effort as much. If you want some info on the BBY Lake and Mtn routes let me know. Again. I will walk Friday and again on Sunday up there, with pack for about 5-6 hours.

Buen Camino
Hi Allan,

Thank you for the insight. I'd love some information on the BBY Lake and Mtn routes. I want to do a long hike as a test, was thinking about the Baden Powell, but I like the loop idea. This working cuts into my hours allotted for hikes. So hence the tsawassen training.

Joan

When I lived in Seattle I remember attending several meetings. If I remember correctly I always enjoyed the annual celebration on the weekend of the week of July 25. We would go for a short hike and then have a pot luck dinner together and then visit the Seattle's St. James Cathedral. My memory may be mashing things up, but in my dotage I don't worry too much when the memory is so sweet. Regardless. we had a lot of people in the area that had walked the Camino multiple times. The group always welcomed the curious and those who were looking for more information. At the time I seemed to recall hearing of a Vancouver group, but never went up for a visit. It is gratifying to hear that the group is alive, very active, and continuing to share with each the joy of Camino.

My older brother was born on the 25 July; he has been gone 30 years this past May 10 - the day holds many special memories let alone an opportunity to think of St. James and the Camino itself. Every step I take on Camino is a celebration of so many loved ones who have moved on. One of the beauties of our lives as we age is to remember so many sweet memories of joyous times past while stepping into a future of our own choice.

The Camino is something in which I strive to remain daily regardless of where I find myself. When there is so much noise in the world; such painful conflicts and sorrows aplenty, the Spirit of the Camino resides at my every invitation to calm my soul and lift up my heart.

Thank you for sharing news about our esteemed pilgrims in the great, beautiful city of Vancouver.

Hi Joan and Fellow caminoistas
A great training ground for people who live in the Lower Mainland of BC is Pacific Spirit Park encircling the UBC campus. There are lots of entry points (I like adjacent to Southlands School at the foot of Camosun Ave @ 41st.) and the trails are wonderful with enough ups and downs (Clinton and Hemlock for example) to provide great work outs. 2-3 hours in the park is a real joy; it is an underused gem. To work on your downhill you can always do the steps to Wreck Beach!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
..... To work on your downhill you can always do the steps to Wreck Beach!
The steps/trail up from Spanish Banks to Belmont Avenue are great too. I trained there complete with backpack and poles and pretty much encountered only others who were also training; the trail is very little used otherwise. The steps are a bit hard to find though if you don't know where to look for them.

Hi Joan, and anyone else in Vancouver who is training. I am going to do a walk of about 25km tomorrow from Burnaby lake parking lot at the Rugby club. I'll leave at 8:00am. It will take 6 - 7 hours. It will include walking to the end of the lake, using a trail with a couple of blocks of residential area to get to the North Road trail up the back of Burnaby Mountain. I will work across the mountain using the Trans Canada trail to Horizons restaurant. I will then go down the Velodrome trail (also known as 500 steps), across the Barnet trail back to the Trans Canada trail and back up the mountain (quite a steep gravel road) to where the North Road trail met the TC trail, then retrace my steps back to the end of the lake then along the lake back to my car. This is a hilly walk (about 1500-2000 ft. of vertical). I can make it shorter and/or easier when we get to Horizons if you think it is a bit too much. I will also do it a couple of times during the week and maybe the following Sunday. I leave for Europe in a week and half so not a lot of time left. Joan, if you give me your email I will give you access to my last 2 big workouts on GPS in Map MY Hike, which includes a map. My e-mail address is allanmorris@telus.net

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Joan ~ The thread you started has provided a good resource for some lower mainland training walks / hikes! I'd never even heard of Teapot Hill and there are some great suggestions for various routes through neighbourhoods. Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Kassepea, is Tsawwassen where the ferry from Vancouver island goes to & from ? I vaguely remember the name when I was out there 40 years ago.... we stayed in Victoria but had a few days in Vancouver....... really should go back to visit seeing it's my home town & I still have my Canadian passport. We are continuing our Camino from where we left off last year at Leonight on 4th September..... hoping to get to Tricastela this year.... my training has come to a full stop as I torn a calf muscle last week .... am hoping I will bemail fit enough to grind out the trip come what may.
Good luck with your training . Buon Camino
From Ricay the Exiled Canuck

Hi Leanne and welcome to the forum. You have lots of fellow Caminoites here in Victoria. If you are not familiar with our local Chapter www.caminovictoria.ca. They host events throughout the year. Like one we did just over a week ago - joining up new Pilgrims with those who have walked in Spain, and walking at Beaver/Elk Lake with the option for a 10k or 20k, followed by picnic lunch. I walked the Camino in Sept/Oct. Gorgeous time of year. Happy walking. Maggie

Oh wow!!! Thanks Maggie... this is a very exciting discovery. I'm sorry to have missed the gathering recently. Much appreciated info.

Just do the best you can on the hills and mountains. Go slow, cut the grade by walking back and forth and enjoy chatting with other people from flat areas of the world who are also resting on the way up and on the way down. Lots of fast walkers will give you their tips on getting up and down the hills quicker (as they fly past you). I'm from Ontario and there are no hills where I live. But I learned to enjoy the hills as the time went on.

€149,-
Just do the best you can on the hills and mountains. Go slow, cut the grade by walking back and forth and enjoy chatting with other people from flat areas of the world who are also resting on the way up and on the way down. Lots of fast walkers will give you their tips on getting up and down the hills quicker (as they fly past you). I'm from Ontario and there are no hills where I live. But I learned to enjoy the hills as the time went on.

Our daughter (marathon runner) introduced to a man made hill. It's not very high only about 100-120 feet but they cut paths into that have a degree of difficulty. So for the last week and a half we have been walking almost every day since. The have about a half dozen trails cut that have a rising gradient of anywhere from gentle long slopes of 5-15% to others that rise at close to 45% . The area covers over 3,000 sq. acres. So now...we are getting our uphill workout in. Tomorrow is our first day of backpacks on the "hill"

Hi Joan, and anyone else in Vancouver who is training. I am going to do a walk of about 25km tomorrow from Burnaby lake parking lot at the Rugby club. I'll leave at 8:00am. It will take 6 - 7 hours. It will include walking to the end of the lake, using a trail with a couple of blocks of residential area to get to the North Road trail up the back of Burnaby Mountain. I will work across the mountain using the Trans Canada trail to Horizons restaurant. I will then go down the Velodrome trail (also known as 500 steps), across the Barnet trail back to the Trans Canada trail and back up the mountain (quite a steep gravel road) to where the North Road trail met the TC trail, then retrace my steps back to the end of the lake then along the lake back to my car. This is a hilly walk (about 1500-2000 ft. of vertical). I can make it shorter and/or easier when we get to Horizons if you think it is a bit too much. I will also do it a couple of times during the week and maybe the following Sunday. I leave for Europe in a week and half so not a lot of time left. Joan, if you give me your email I will give you access to my last 2 big workouts on GPS in Map MY Hike, which includes a map. My e-mail address is allanmorris@telus.net
Hi there, I suspect you have left for Europe. Being a working stiff I have not had the time to hike for 6 or 7 hours. I will have to leave that until the Camino where I will have nothing else on my plate but walking... My email address is joan@cdnrs.ca

Joan - Have you left for Spain yet? If so, please drop us all a line when you get to Roncesvalles. At that point, you will have found out that all your training worked!

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not sure if there is. Maybe once I've completed I will investigate... I haven't walked further than 16 km in 3 1/2 hours. I get out about 3 times a week. I have been hiking in North Vancouver and cultus lake area to get some tougher climbs in..

Hi i live in Squamish, im walking the Camino frances in June 2017 with a friend, we are currently training 10-15km increased as we go on.

Are you aware our Victoria chapter of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims is doing a 'Camino 101' presentation this Saturday in Nanaimo"?. I'll send you a PM with my email address with more info in case you're interested. We had 90 people at our Sidney event last Saturday.

Joan - Have you left for Spain yet? If so, please drop us all a line when you get to Roncesvalles. At that point, you will have found out that all your training worked!

Buen Camino!
Sorry Joan I did not get back to you. I had no trouble getting to Roncesvalles, in fact was one of the first 30 people to sign in to the albergue. I also had no blisters or muscle injuries. I was a bit stiff the next day. I walked with a young lady from New Zealand who was quite fit but had not put in the hill training. Although we walked together and she had no real trouble on that stretch, the push caught up to her a couple of days later and stayed with her for 2 weeks. She had pulled her Achilles on both feet, from the uphill, and walked with pain for the next 2 weeks. She also had blisters to deal with. What I found was most people had not done the distance training or hill training I did. They pretty well all ended up with either sore muscles, pulled hamstrings, shin splints, blisters etc. or a combination them. They all pushed on though and most found the next 2 weeks of walking was a chore as they were trying to deal with the injuries. This become a bit of a mental thing. "If that person with those issues can keep going them I must as well!!". My point being, if you train appropriately for distance and hills, with your pack, in the last couple weeks before your Camino from SJPDP, you will be in a better place to avoid nagging injuries, blisters being the biggest common ailment. Even 3 or 4 times will help immensely. But if you are reasonably fit, and have done some training, the full section definitely achievable. I am posting this as a message to all that are wondering how much training is needed. My comments relate mainly to people starting a SJPDP. If you are starting later in the journey, the distances and climbs are much more gentle and you can get by with less aggressive training.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are you aware our Victoria chapter of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims is doing a 'Camino 101' presentation this Saturday in Nanaimo"?. I'll send you a PM with my email address with more info in case you're interested. We had 90 people at our Sidney event last Saturday.

If I wasn't busy I'd have loved to attend

Hi i live in Squamish, im walking the Camino frances in June 2017 with a friend, we are currently training 10-15km increased as we go on.
Hi there

That's great! Make sure you train on loose rocks say the beach. Every day I miss being on the Camino. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back