• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tui or Valença?

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
Hi all, starting my Camino in just over a week:).
Was thinking of (loosely) planning a rest day around the Spanish border.
Any recommendations on which border town to stay in . . . ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Valença of course
Visit the fortress and overview the Minho river , the Eiffel bridge and Tui in the distance .
Taste the pasteís de nata and the bacalhau fish dishes
Enjoy the Portuguêse life .
Bonus is that later on you walk over the Eiffel bridge into Spain and get one hour extra into the future. There is one hour in between both countries

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Valença of course
Visit the fortress and overview the Minho river , the Eiffel bridge and Tui in the distance .
Taste the pasteís de nata and the bacalhau fish dishes
Enjoy the Portuguêse life .
Bonus is that later on you walk over the Eiffel bridge into Spain and get one hour extra into the future. There is one hour in between both countries
Thanks for the tips.
I walked from Lisboa last October and had planned to go by way of the Spiritual Variant, but my Camino friends had a time limitation so I passed it by. This year I have a Rick Steves tour of Portugal that ends in Porto. From there I will take the train or bus to Valença in order to do the Variant. With your tips I will linger in Valença to savor the end of my visit to Portugal.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the tips.
I walked from Lisboa last October and had planned to go by way of the Spiritual Variant, but my Camino friends had a time limitation so I passed it by. This year I have a Rick Steves tour of Portugal that ends in Porto. From there I will take the train or bus to Valença in order to do the Variant. With your tips I will linger in Valença to savor the end of my visit to Portugal.
It’s the most amazing feeling to soak up the last of Portugal and then walk the bridge in the AM and feel the cultural shift - new sights, language, smells, coffee :) in Spain!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all, starting my Camino in just over a week:).
Was thinking of (loosely) planning a rest day around the Spanish border.
Any recommendations on which border town to stay in . . . ?
We took the train from Porto to Valenca. Taxi to our pension in Tui. Walked back to Valenca to visit and explore, wonderful food. Spent the night in Tui.

Thanks for the tips.
You could either take the bus or train
the bus follows the highways - Porto (Casa da Música) Porto airport, Braga to Valença

the train is more scenic
Porto Campanhã trainstation to Barcelos , Tamel and Baroselas to Viana do Castelo. Very rural area. Then the coast to Caminha with nice views at the ocean and than by Vila Nova de Cerveira to Valença alongside the Minho river
The train stops everywhere and takes a bit more time but I prefer the train. I travelled both bus and train many times.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back