• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tui to Vigo?

HermanTheGerman

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances '13, '14; Portuguese '13, '14, '17, '18; del Salvador '15; Primitivo '15; Mozarabe '16
Hola amigos,

Although Ponte de Lima to Tui is a loooong day, the following stage from Tui to Redondela has always felt longer for some strange reason, although it is indeed shorter... perhaps because it feels harder on the feet.

Setting Vigo as the destination is roughly 5km shorter than Redondela, which might make a good change this time, hooking up briefly with the coastal route in Vigo. The following day would then be roughly 25km again along the last part of the coastal route to Redondela and then on to Pontevedra. Has anyone done this and if so, what are the ways like?

Buen Camino,

The German

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The route from Vigo to Redondela ...once you are out of town...takes you uphill and slightly inland but provides fantastic views of the bay ...then as you proceed you hit the 'senda de auga' (water path) which is in woodland and has some waterfalls, before you head down to redondela. The route from redondela to pontevedra is varied but includes arcarde and the ponte de ssmpaio and again woodland tracks with a very pretty riverside woodland walk variant directly into pontevedra. There are otters apparently here but we didnt spot them. Photo of route out from Vigo.

Attachments

• IMG-20170616-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20170616-WA0004.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Stevov. I'm going to try it for my 4th Camino Portuguese.

From Tui, it would be a climb of around 550m up to Monte Aloia. From there hiking trail #2 takes you right along the ridgeline and mountain tops to the outskirts of Vigo where it connects with hiking trail #1 before the autopista. From there it's a relatively short walk to the coastal camino according to the maps I've found - 30.4km.

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Tui,...6d17acb8852!2m2!1d-8.7214547!2d42.2399834!3e2

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, I'm back and I've done it. It is indeed possible. I had a 600m climb first thing in the morning heading steeply up Monte Aloia where it was really cold. From there's a wonderful trail winding its way along the mountains. On 25th Dec however, there were many hunters also in the mountains with shotguns and dogs, as well as the odd motocross rider. I was the only pilgrim. The trail then joins the GR and then down a downhill MTB track into the outskirts of Vigo. The slog from there to the harbour on asphalt was less inspiring, but there were the occasional camino markings once I hit the Camino de la Costa.

Well, I'm back and I've done it. It is indeed possible. I had a 600m climb first thing in the morning heading steeply up Monte Aloia where it was really cold. From there's a wonderful trail winding its way along the mountains. On 25th Dec however, there were many hunters also in the mountains with shotguns and dogs, as well as the odd motocross rider. I was the only pilgrim. The trail then joins the GR and then down a downhill MTB track into the outskirts of Vigo. The slog from there to the harbour on asphalt was less inspiring, but there were the occasional camino markings once I hit the Camino de la Costa.
i hope you had an enjoyable and meaningful journey...congratulations!

Hola amigos,

Although Ponte de Lima to Tui is a loooong day, the following stage from Tui to Redondela has always felt longer for some strange reason, although it is indeed shorter... perhaps because it feels harder on the feet.

Setting Vigo as the destination is roughly 5km shorter than Redondela, which might make a good change this time, hooking up briefly with the coastal route in Vigo. The following day would then be roughly 25km again along the last part of the coastal route to Redondela and then on to Pontevedra. Has anyone done this and if so, what are the ways like?

Buen Camino,

The German
Yikes, you must be a "marathon" walker or have really long legs! My Brierley guide breaks those into 2 stages each (not that anyone needs to follow his ideas). I'm glad though as I'll be walking the Portuguese camino in early May.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't think I would follow you from Tuy towards Vigo instead of Redondela, but I'd like to mention the albergue de peregrinos O Freixo, which is about 3km to the left from the place you cross the motorway VG-20 on google maps.
The semi-official O Freixo route is marked with green arrows until you see the yellow ones again.

If O Freixo is your destination, after trail 2 and 1 you should look for GR-53 that guides you even closer.
see: https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#?map=15!42.1884!-8.7175
The distances between Tuy-OFreixo-Redondela should be OK for normal hikers (~25km/day).

Rubiães and Tui are not on the Portuguese Interior route but on the CENTRAL route
Has been explained one thousand times at least here on this forum .😏
The Portuguese Interior route is at a totaly different area of Portugal far away from Tui and Rubiães and Porto etc

Rubiães and Tui are not on the Portuguese Interior route but on the CENTRAL route
I can't move this thread to another location. Sorry.
Maybe the splitting into (too ??) many ways was a bit too much. The german forum had only "ways in Portugal" and only the main routes in Spain. But still, several topics had been misplaced.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can't move this thread to another location. Sorry.
Maybe the splitting into (too ??) many ways was a bit too much. The german forum had only "ways in Portugal" and only the main routes in Spain. But still, several topics had been misplaced.
I was confused, too, at first. The older, Central route is considered to belong in the main forum and they've created sub-forums for alternative options. I guess, despite the growing popularity of the Coastal, it is still considered the default.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back