• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Tummy bug between Hornillos and Carrión

Alhimself

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2018 - planning
Last night I had a really severe tummy bug - the works, for hours. I immediately assumed it was food poisoning and was going to leave it at that.

This morning a guy in the convent said "That happened to me shortly after Hornillos." He also spoke about an old guy he'd met who'd had it as well very recently. I was still unwilling to assume that it was anything other than food poisoning, but then I met another person today. I overheard her say "I'm not walking today. I was up all night sick." I asked her where she ate. "I didn't eat last night. I was already feeling sick."

I suspect there is norovirus moving around in this area right now, so be extra vigilant washing your hands etc.

I don't want this post to be hijacked into slanging/defending the fountains. It's just as likely human spread noro as a bad fountain. But I've been drinking from them so just be vigilant. I've lost a day to it, and likely a few pounds weight... Plus the cost of a hotel room where I've slept all day...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last night I had a really severe tummy bug - the works, for hours. I immediately assumed it was food poisoning and was going to leave it at that.
I suspect there is norovirus moving around in this area right now, so be extra vigilant washing your hands etc.

I don't want this post to be hijacked into slanging/defending the fountains. It's just as likely human spread noro as a bad fountain. But I've been drinking from them so just be vigilant. I've lost a day to it, and likely a few pounds weight... Plus the cost of a hotel room where I've slept all day...

I have read the posts on the link - similar situation. I would have thought that the albergue would have let you stay the extra day/night when you were this sick, although I can understand that a hotel bed; clean sheets; ensuite bath would have been a better resting venue!! Hope you are back on the road soon. If time permits maybe an extra night in Leon to help the recovery!! Buen Camino!!

€60,-
You can get electrolyte replacement powders from any farmacia. Ask for “Sueroral Casen," or "los preparados para esfuerzos deportivos" or "las bebidas energéticas."

Brands like Etixx, elete, Trisport, Ergysport, Wcup all have isotonic electrolyte preps of one sort or the other.

Absent this, and if you can find it in a local tienda or supermercado, the best thing is good old Aquarius, it is functionally the same as Gatorade, Powerade, etc.

Hope this helps.

This morning a guy in the convent said "That happened to me shortly after Hornillos." He also spoke about an old guy he'd met who'd had it as well very recently. I was still unwilling to assume that it was anything other than food poisoning, but then I met another person today. I overheard her say "I'm not walking today. I was up all night sick." I asked her where she ate. "I didn't eat last night. I was already feeling sick."

I passed through Carrión de Los Condes around 21st of September and caught a fever, followed by vomiting then diahorrea for a few days. At various stages after that, right up to Santiago, I met people who had the same type of symptoms when staying at Carrión de Los Condes. Something strange going on for so many people to report same symptoms from the same place
The Albergue I staped at said they had some kind of outbreak of gastroenteritis and had coordened off one dorm. But with so many people sharing dormitories it's quite possible that any virus would spread very easily.
Might be worth avoiding Carrión and carry on....... .

It's not logical to label one place that way. Chances are there is an incubation period, and the pilgrims are infected at all different times and places. If Carrion de los Condes was a hotbed of germs, the whole town would be sick... this is pretty much a pilgrim thing, it happens with some frequency in towns all over the caminos, not just the meseta.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My bad bout of gastro was on the day out of Burgos and I blamed the tapas dinner we had the night before.
I love eggs and had a few egg dishes which my friend did not.

Came down with mine towards the end of Sept. between Cizor Mayor and Puenta la Reina. Immodium, and a day in bed worked plus a rest day following. Visited the dr. He said it was a virus.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.