• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tunnel Route from Bayonne?

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Again, soon as possible!
Hi all

I'm planning walking the Camino Vasco del Interior in a few weeks time (from June 16th), I was going to start from Irun but I have been invited by friends to stay with them in Bayonne before I set off. I vaguely recall there is a route that links Bayonne to Irun that I can walk. Is this correct and can anyone point me in the right direction to finding a guide/maps/accomodation for this section?

I have the CJS guide from Irun so Im ok there.

Hope you can help
Davey

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all

I'm planning walking the Camino Vasco del Interior in a few weeks time (from June 16th), I was going to start from Irun but I have been invited by friends to stay with them in Bayonne before I set off. I vaguely recall there is a route that links Bayonne to Irun that I can walk. Is this correct and can anyone point me in the right direction to finding a guide/maps/accomodation for this section?

I have the CJS guide from Irun so Im ok there.

Hope you can help
Davey

For the link from Bayonne to Irun see this earlier Forum thread.

Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And if all else fails, you could just wing it by simply walking along the coast ;-) SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh, and if I am not completely mistaken this connecting way doesn't include a tunnel. Perhaps you mean the San Adrian connection https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Adrian_(tunnel) if I am right it might be helpful if you adjust the thread title to make it easier for people to find this info in times to come. Buen Camino, SY

Oh, and if I am not completely mistaken this connecting way doesn't include a tunnel. Perhaps you mean the San Adrian connection https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Adrian_(tunnel) if I am right it might be helpful if you adjust the thread title to make it easier for people to find this info in times to come. Buen Camino, SY

From the CSJ site:

The Tunnel Route

The Tunnel Route/Via de Bayona/Camino Vasco del Interiór – A route linking the Voie Littorale to the Camino Francés via the old Roman road through the San Adrian Tunnel.

Oh, and if I am not completely mistaken this connecting way doesn't include a tunnel. Perhaps you mean the San Adrian connection https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Adrian_(tunnel) if I am right it might be helpful if you adjust the thread title to make it easier for people to find this info in times to come.

Two different routes both of them passing through the tunnel of S. Adrián:
  1. Vía de Bayona: From Bayonne to Burgos
  2. Camino Vasco del Interior: From Irún to Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
Both routes share a common section from Irún to Estavillo being the tunnel on that common section.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I thought the Tunnel Route was another name for the Vasco del Interior? When I google it it comes up with the same thing?

Maybe I'm wrong?

Not sure, I know the tunnel route as the route that connects to Santo Domingo, but then I might be wrong! SY

Two different routes both of them passing through the tunnel of S. Adrián:
  1. Vía de Bayona: From Bayonne to Burgos
  2. Camino Vasco del Interior: From Irún to Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
Both routes share a common section from Irún to Estavillo being the tunnel on that common section.

The route I was going to take was the Vasco del Interior from Irun, but the variant that goes to Burgos. The Via Bayonne I thought went to Pamplona from Bayonne?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How do I edit the title anyway? I best change it just in case! Blimey, Im confused, no wonder I always get lost!

I thought the Tunnel Route was another name for the Vasco del Interior?
Not sure, I know the tunnel route as the route that connects to Santo Domingo, but then I might be wrong!

The three names: Camino Vasco del Interior, Vía de Bayona and Tunnel route are many times used indistinctly but, AFAIK, as I said above, the Vía de Bayona is the one from Bayonne to Burgos and the Camino Vasco del Interior, the one from Irún to Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Nowadays, the Camino Vasco del Interior is much well-known than the Vía de Bayona. Both of them pass through the Tunnel because the tunnel is in the section shared by both routes. It's true the Tunnel route isn't (usually) used for the Vía de Bayona but it crosses the tunnel as well as the Camino Vasco del Interior...

The Via Bayonne I thought went to Pamplona from Bayonne?

That's the Camino Baztanés.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The three names: Camino Vasco del Interior, Vía de Bayona and Tunnel route are many times used indistinctly but, AFAIK, as I said above, the Vía de Bayona is the one from Bayonne to Burgos and the Camino Vasco del Interior, the one from Irún to Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Nowadays, the Camino Vasco del Interior is much well-known than the Vía de Bayona. Both of them pass through the Tunnel because the tunnel is in the section shared by both routes. It's true the Tunnel route isn't (usually) used for the Vía de Bayona but it crosses the tunnel as well as the Camino Vasco del Interior...

That's the Camino Baztanés.

Ah! Thank you Castilian. I have the CSJ guide called 'The Tunnel Route' that seems to describe The Vasco del Interior but with a variant that turns off at Estavillo to Burgos.

Should I change the thread title? (And how)?

Davey

Not sure, I know the tunnel route as the route that connects to Santo Domingo, but then I might be wrong! SY
No, you are not. But this same route have a detour to Burgos.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When you are at Bayonne, you can find tree diferent routes. One to S. J. P. d P., another to Irun, and the third one to one of the best Caminos: the Baztan valley. A lonely and beautiful camino from Bayonne to Pamplona. Eigth to nine days of pure beauty.

Last edited:
From the Chatedral of Bayonne, follow the route of the river. Then you will find a signpost with the three diferent ways.

From the Chatedral of Bayonne, follow the route of the river. Then you will find a signpost with the three diferent ways.

Thank you very much, most useful information! I'm tempted to switch to the Baztan. I set off from Bayonne June 17/19th, I am meeting up with some Camino family in Sahagun on July 10th so I have to make sure I can get there in time.

Davey

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But this same route have a detour to Burgos.

If we consider it a single route with two branches (one to Burgos and another one to Santo Domingo de la Calzada), the detour would be the route to Santo Domingo de la Calzada (because it takes longer to reach Santiago de Compostela that way). In other words, the route to Santo Domingo de la Calzada would be a detour from the (straight) route to Burgos (not the other way around).

If we consider it a single route with two branches (one to Burgos and another one to Santo Domingo de la Calzada), the detour would be the route to Santo Domingo de la Calzada (because it takes longer to reach Santiago de Compostela that way). In other words, the route to Santo Domingo de la Calzada would be a detour from the (straight) route to Burgos (not the other way around).
Maybe you are rigth, but there are best insfracture at Santo Domingo,s de tour.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back