• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tunnel route in early June

jprogers

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2005
Ptgse 2007 Norte 2009 Ingles 2011
Vasco del 2013 Ourense to SdC 2016
Invierno? 2020
Hi not really any questions just confirmation that we have done all the preparation. I have been searching the forum and found information on the Tunnel route. We are ready to walk in early June 2013 and planning to go to Burgos rather than S Domingo de la C. We have the CSJ guide and have printed the online recommended Spanish guides translated to English and hopefully the route will be well marked. There is a bit of info available on the off shoot to Burgos - accomodation and distances but we are hoping this part is also well marked - can anyone confirm this?. We arrive Madrid late May from Australia and visiting Cordoba and then arriving in Irun early June. Getting excited and this is our 5th Camino. There is the problem of course when you are a tourist and a walker of extra clothes and where to leave extra clothes whilst we walk - 2 options at present 1) send by mail to Burgos post office or 2) go to Burgos first and leave gear at a hotel there - as we did in Santiago whilst we walked the C Ingles 2 years ago.
Regards Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As to the second part, from Miranda da Ebro to Burgos, there were yellow arrows. And in the albergue of Puebla de Arganzon, there was a little information leaflet about that way. Beside two or three times I cannot remember bigger problems finding my way...
- in the fields after Pancorbo : I nearly missed one arrow because of huge vegetation (the way followed the railway truck for some time and at some point you have to cross a bridge and continue through some fields). By the way, at some point, there were no arrows but yellow plastic straps to waymark
- between Monasterio de Rodilla, after the "wind park" and just before the Roman road : in the woods, one arrow was pointing in the wrong direction
- after having left the Roman road, some km before Burgos - I missed an arrow at the end of a very long day

The only part that was really "hard" was between Briviesca and Monasterio de Rodilla : several times, the way was alongside a very frequented national road...

Hi, this I wrote answering another question about the waymarking on that part (topic about waymarking in this section)

I did this camino in 2010, so some time ago. Things might have changed by now - as most Jacobean local associations are quite active.
The waymarking was quite correct - and there were few hesitations. But it's quite different from the Camino Frances where you have nearly too much arrows.

Some details about my notes:
- in the fields after Pancorbo: You follow the railway on the left side, then some km afterwards, you cross a (not very used) bridge to continue on the right side of the railway.
- the woods after the windparc: I realised quickly that there was that one arrow pointing wrongly.

There were albergues on the whole section.
As I wrote before (topic "Has anyone walked that road this year"), I walked from Puebla de Arganzon to Burgos in 3 days instead of 5 - I would say 4 might be the good compromise...
- Puebla - Pancorbo. (la casa parroquial). By the way, you can sleep in Miranda (youth hostal). But: doable distance, if you are +- fit
- Pancorbo - Briviesca. ( very "nude" albergue de peregrinos, 2 bunk beds, cold water)
- Briviesca - Burgos. ( attention: +- 48 km - not to recommend, I would not do it again...) Albergue in Monasterio de Rodilla on the mid-way to Burgos

Buen camino! Enjoy!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I only walked a small portion of this route last year in august, from salvatierra to miranda de ebro. although it was not the most spectacular part of this camino, it was nice. some useful tidbits that might be hard to come by on the net:

- in salvatierra albergue de peregrinos should open this year, ask in very friendly and helpful tourist office, the albergue will be just off the route upon leaving the town
- monasterio de estibaliz does not accommodate pilgrims anymore
- there is no longer pilgrim accommodation in arcaya, the last village before vitoria
- a new approach to vitoria has been created, it goes more to the north, through the new suburbs east of vitoria and along the long calle santiago (I am not sure if this will become permanent or the old approach will be remade once the construction ends)
- in vitoria there is now albergue de la catedral smack in the centre, below catedral s maria; albergue juvenil on the outskirts is closed permanently
- in la puebla de arganzon ask for vicente or in ayuntamiento for the key, the little shop was open till 24h
- make sure to head on the right branch after estavillo (the left branch to santo domingo is better signposted, follow GR 1 for arminon)
- after arminon, in an intersection at a hut after an ascent, a new approach to miranda goes left
- the old approach goes straight ahead, but after rivabellosa village, crossing of rio bayas and turning left in the crossroad, there is an unmarked turn off right into the fields, about 150m after the crossroad where the road nears the river the most
- the signpost 'miranda 2km' before crossing the motorway is the last one before miranda, keep straight till dropping into the developing industrial zone, turn right on the first steet (in a roundabout), left before big blue leclerc, cross a street, in a T crossroad turn left, right in the next one with the big road, soon cross it before a roundabout and head under the railway into miranda
- albergue juvenil is on the other side of miranda, more or less in the straight line, ask; they keep beds specially for pilgrims but is closed for two weeks in january, may and november

jprogers said:
Hi not really any questions just confirmation that we have done all the preparation. I have been searching the forum and found information on the Tunnel route. We are ready to walk in early June 2013 and planning to go to Burgos rather than S Domingo de la C. We have the CSJ guide and have printed the online recommended Spanish guides translated to English and hopefully the route will be well marked. There is a bit of info available on the off shoot to Burgos - accomodation and distances but we are hoping this part is also well marked - can anyone confirm this?. We arrive Madrid late May from Australia and visiting Cordoba and then arriving in Irun early June. Getting excited and this is our 5th Camino. There is the problem of course when you are a tourist and a walker of extra clothes and where to leave extra clothes whilst we walk - 2 options at present 1) send by mail to Burgos post office or 2) go to Burgos first and leave gear at a hotel there - as we did in Santiago whilst we walked the C Ingles 2 years ago.
Regards Jill

Hi Jill,

I will be very interested in hearing about this part of the journey. I did the camino in 2012 from SJPP but this time starting in Bayonne and traveling down through el Interior into Burgos. I am meeting a friend in Bayonne but this only depends on how his knee recovers from an injury. I hope that you could perhaps post a message from on of the albergues and let me know if you found it easy to navigate your way into Burgos.

I wish you a buen camino and hope we can share our experience with others on this part of the forum.

Sarita (Melbourne)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back