• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Turning lemons into lemonade

Phoenix

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
It's possible for a crisis to lead to positive change(s) in our lives, whether in the form of course changes/course corrections or by forcing us to just be still, let things settle, and get a new or clearer point of view.

For me, it is deciding to return to college nearly three decades after I completed my last degree—which I never wanted to do nor believed would happen until recently. Beginning in the fall, I will begin taking courses to become a Registered Nurse. It's rather exciting, thinking about doing something like this in my mid-50s, and it most likely would not be happening if I were busy thinking about, planning for, and going on one or more Caminos/year.

By being forced to delay a Camino for months, a year, or more because of our current world-wide crisis, have you experienced a positive happening or change that wouldn't have happened (or less likely to have happened) otherwise? For example, better relationships, a new appreciation for something, etc.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry - I started to reply but got busy with other things (had to go make some lemonade ;)), and this topic deserves a little thought. I am very lucky in many ways, and it is easy to feel "guilty" for that, but I have personally been enjoying lock down.

I am supposedly retired, but had been doing some part-time consulting work from home, much of it related to international events, but that work was growing to be too much. Since it came to a screeching halt, I have disengaged myself a lot from work, and intend to keep it that way.

I live in area where I can readily walk and the spring weather has been beautiful. I have continued with my target of 40 km/week since it is the best thing I can be doing for my health. I have made a point of turning my mind away from training for the Camino, to appreciate the local walking for its own sake. I stopped saving my favourite summer walking clothes for the Camino and I am wearing them now. It took a bit of effort to change my mindset, but I am determined to keep walking and enjoying it, whether or not I ever return to Spain.

I am doing all the old-fashioned things that have become so popular during lockdown - mending, gardening, making sour dough bread, etc. I admit that I haven't started any of several projects that I've intended to do "when I have time" but I think I am getting closer to starting one!

I do feel for other people who are at stages of their lives where this situation is very disruptive, and for those who have suffered in many ways..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I like your approach to looking for the sunshine hidden in the clouds. I am sitting now, balancing the books against the bank statement - and listening to a very fine performance of Beethoven's 9th by the Oslo Philharmonic. That is one thing I have found more time for during lockdown, looking up free classical music offerings. I am also engaged daily in a revived trio of friendship with two of my closest friends from childhood: we exchange WhatsApp messages throughout the day, and on Sundays at 5pm we have a glass or a cup of something and catch up on whatsappp video. These are two of my lemonade from lemons...
edit: link to that concert-

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's possible for a crisis to lead to positive change(s) in our lives, whether in the form of course changes/course corrections or by forcing us to just be still, let things settle, and get a new or clearer point of view.

For me, it is deciding to return to college nearly three decades after I completed my last degree—which I never wanted to do nor believed would happen until recently. Beginning in the fall, I will begin taking courses to become a Registered Nurse. It's rather exciting, thinking about doing something like this in my mid-50s, and it most likely would not be happening if I were busy thinking about, planning for, and going on one or more Caminos/year.

By being forced to delay a Camino for months, a year, or more because of our current world-wide crisis, have you experienced a positive happening or change that wouldn't have happened (or less likely to have happened) otherwise? For example, better relationships, a new appreciation for something, etc.
I am certainly not making as big a change or commitment as you will be. Hats off to you, i was a nurse many years ago but at age 61 do not think i could physically meet the need to be on my feet for so many hours - but having just said that i realise somehow i do manage a long days walk! I guess its motivation. I feel i could not go back to nursing but i respect and admire your commitment to doing so, nursing needs good people and i always feel encouraged when i see such enthusiasm.
My biggest change in lockdown has been doing p.e every day mon-fri with joe wicks on you tube, it was all a massive effort at first but i am improving, feel stronger, and its good fun. It is not something i ever thought i would be doing but thats the beauty of being prevented from moving forwards (should have been on the vdlp now) it encourages you to look at moving sideways instead and i always do enjoy the road less taken.
Other benefits have been a lot of work done on the land, which got neglected last year due to walking, and a re-appreciation of where we live, the colours, birdsong, trees and a less hazy horizon. Sowing veg seeds, which i havent done in years. Plus getting in contact with friends that i might normally just write a card to at christmas. I am considering going back to canada to walk rather than spain, having lived in nfld several years ago and having read posts on another thread, it has made me consider other landscapes. I have loved walking in the footsteps of others who walked those european routes in centuries past to holy sites but I think I can walk a pilgrimage, heart and soul, wherever I am as it is the intention that is important - though ancient routes,history and architecture certainly add atmosphere and interest and fire the imagination.
I too have considered going back to uni to study (philosophy) but with fees at £9000/year it is a luxury too far with no prospect of earning anything except satisfaction at the end of it. You however will be learning practical skills which benefit others and you will be rightly paid for those skills. I wish you every success, i had a great time nursing, having colleagues, knowing you make a difference and being part of a team effort is very rewarding. If one of the positive outcomes of this awful pandemic is that it has inspired people such as yourself to enter a caring profession then we can at least be glad for that.

I am certainly not making as big a change or commitment as you will be. Hats off to you, i was a nurse many years ago but at age 61 do not think i could physically meet the need to be on my feet for so many hours - but having just said that i realise somehow i do manage a long days walk! I guess its motivation. I feel i could not go back to nursing but i respect and admire your commitment to doing so, nursing needs good people and i always feel encouraged when i see such enthusiasm.
My biggest change in lockdown has been doing p.e every day mon-fri with joe wicks on you tube, it was all a massive effort at first but i am improving, feel stronger, and its good fun. It is not something i ever thought i would be doing but thats the beauty of being prevented from moving forwards (should have been on the vdlp now) it encourages you to look at moving sideways instead and i always do enjoy the road less taken.
Other benefits have been a lot of work done on the land, which got neglected last year due to walking, and a re-appreciation of where we live, the colours, birdsong, trees and a less hazy horizon. Sowing veg seeds, which i havent done in years. Plus getting in contact with friends that i might normally just write a card to at christmas. I am considering going back to canada to walk rather than spain, having lived in nfld several years ago and having read posts on another thread, it has made me consider other landscapes. I have loved walking in the footsteps of others who walked those european routes in centuries past to holy sites but I think I can walk a pilgrimage, heart and soul, wherever I am as it is the intention that is important - though ancient routes,history and architecture certainly add atmosphere and interest and fire the imagination.
I too have considered going back to uni to study (philosophy) but with fees at £9000/year it is a luxury too far with no prospect of earning anything except satisfaction at the end of it. You however will be learning practical skills which benefit others and you will be rightly paid for those skills. I wish you every success, i had a great time nursing, having colleagues, knowing you make a difference and being part of a team effort is very rewarding. If one of the positive outcomes of this awful pandemic is that it has inspired people such as yourself to enter a caring profession then we can at least be glad for that.
Thank you for your encouragement. Much appreciated!

My younger son, with whom I walked the CF in 2016, will begin his studies for a BSN in the fall (after 5 yrs military and three years working). His goal is to one day work for Doctors Without Borders, and he has inspired me in part.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Yes. Many things. I have met neighbors and gotten to know others better. I have learned to let go and slow down and realize that if I have run out of something, it doesn't matter. I have had to postpone the Camino now 4years in a row due to surgeries, broken ribs and much more. I was so looking forward to my Sept Camino this year, but now that I realize that will not happen I am taking it in stride and continuing to plan for it, I hope in 2021

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back