A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Turning off like button.

Advertisment

Tincatinker

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
Great question @jerbear. If you are asking can you remove the 'like' function from a post you have made I think the answer is 'no', its an inbuilt part of the underlying software that powers the forum designed to save people from having to separately post their agreement, empathy or recognition of your post.

OR, if you are asking 'can you remove a 'like' that you have attached to someone else's post - yes. Just click on 'un-like' which replaces the 'like' button.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (Villada to SdC) (2016)
Primitivo (Ribadesella to SdC) (2017)
Another hater of Likes? Would be nice to have a Dislike button too, just for the sake of fairness.

I don't really get people's need to Like posts. But if it keeps some people happy then fine. I generally don't use it unless the post is of the most epic level or it made me laugh hysterically. Very few posters fall into either of those brackets, maybe 10 or so and the likelihood of those posts is even rarer.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
I don't really get people's need to Like posts.
I don't have a "need" to Like posts. However, since I consider these to be conversations and I am not present to nod my head, or smile, the Like button is a small acknowedgement that I have read the post and found it valuable.

Camino(s) past & future
Mar 2010, May/Jun 2016, Sep 2011, 2012, Apr 2014, St Olav's Way 2018
It is possible to switch off the alert for someone liking a post, etc. Go to your Alert Preferences on your profile page and choose what you want to either be alerted to, or not, as the case may be. You might also want to check your Preferences as well as that is where the options for email notifications are set.

jerbear

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de madrid, camino francis, camino inverino (2012, 2013,2014)
CdM, Francis, San salvador, primativo june 2015 CDM , francis, inverino 2016
Camino madrid, via de Plata. Santiago.
Coast of the dead malpica to muxia
Thanks
It is possible to switch off the alert for someone liking a post, etc. Go to your Alert Preferences on your profile page and choose what you want to either be alerted to, or not, as the case may be. You might also want to check your Preferences as well as that is where the options for email notifications are set.

Camino(s) past & future
2012 Dieppe, FR Bici CF.
2014 Ruta Vasco/CF/Primativo
This is a great conversation starter. I feel a bit disappointed with "Likes" to my posts. I mean I'm glad when we can be in agreent aboutthings. Or even agree to dis-agree.
A "like" just seems shallow. I'd love a comment as a reflection I suppose.
But that's just me. Feel free to "like" this post.

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
This is a great conversation starter. I feel a bit disappointed with "Likes" to my posts. I mean I'm glad when we can be in agreent aboutthings. Or even agree to dis-agree.
But that's just me. Feel free to "like" this post.
Something shallow pioneered by Facebook?

Impossible.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
Should we stop nodding or smiling when we converse with people, and stay expressionless unless we have something important to say?

Camino(s) past & future
Is it possibile to turn off yhe like button on my post? thanks
Are you trying to
  1. prevent other people from "Liking" your posts, (Can't be done as far as I know)
  2. trying to avoid notifications about people Liking your post (yes, can be done)
  3. trying to avoid being invited to "Like" anyone else's (Can't be done as far as I know.)

Camino(s) past & future
Frances starting SJPdP Sept/Oct 2015, April/May 2017
Have to admit, I give lots of likes. I like giving likes. I am a serial liker. I give likes for posts I enjoy because they make me laugh, or because they teach me something, or because I agree with the content, or because they touch my heart, or sometimes even just to alert a poster that I have responded to their post. IMO it's better to hit the like button rather than generate a lot of posts that may not add value to the thread.
PS I've been told I need to add more emoticons to my posts because my communication skills leave a bit to be desired but frankly I have no idea which ones would be good for this post beyond a friendly smile.:)

Camino(s) past & future
IMO it's better to hit the like button rather than generate a lot of posts that may not add value to the thread.
Very good point! (Better to have 10 Likes under a post than 10 more comments saying "Very good point!") ;)

Which emoticons? While I also have some difficulty there, it is an interesting/fun challenge to make the most suitable choice from the limited selection... e.g. is "eek, eek" appropriate?" or does a green grin mean anything different from a regular happy face? This adds richness to the screen-time and overall communication process! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Very good point! (Better to have 10 Likes under a post than 10 more comments saying "Very good point!") ;)

Which emoticons? While I also have some difficulty there, it is an interesting/fun challenge to make the most suitable choice from the limited selection... e.g. is "eek, eek" appropriate?" or does a green grin mean anything different from a regular happy face? This adds richness to the screen-time and overall communication process! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
https://emojipedia.org/ ;)

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.5%