• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

TV screens in the cathedral!

peregrina2000

Staff member
Thinking back on my just-completed Camino 2017, I would have to say that the one thing that jolted me more than anything else was the addition of flat screen TVs in the Santiago cathedral, at least six of them, two in each nave, or maybe more. During mass, the TV screen shows what's going on at the altar, but during the rest of the time it is like a changing billboard with church- and pilgrim-office related information, including tours of the cathedral, etc. It certainly adds to the carnival-like activity all around, with people occasionally letting out big "shhhhhhhhhs."

Not sure what atmosphere the cathedral bosses are going for, but IMO this certainly detracts from any sense of solemnity or sacredness that might still be left there.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Its galicia. Tech town. Sad but everything changes.

Well, I just moved from NYC, no screens in most parishes, to Los Angeles, screens everywhere. Tech, tech, and more technology is here. What can we do?
And, we know the virtual camino, and last 100kms Compostela download is on the way.
:confused::(

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A changing billboard. How depressing. Although maybe they could flash up something like "Yes, you really DO need 2 stamps per day for your last 100 kilometers......" Oh, think of the fights that would break out! :p

Seriously, though, St. Patrick Cathedral in New York City has had flat-screen monitors for at least 15 years, although I never saw them used for anything other than mass, other specifically religious services such as Good Friday reflections by the Cardinal, or, once, a performance by the cathedral choir of Handel's Messiah during Advent.

But that was a few years back. Who knows what's going on now? :confused:

To me personally it's not so much a desecration. I am not a religious person. Being raised in a Catholic family I always have had the idea that many Catholic rituals have a high "showing-off" character. The swinging of the botofumeiro in the cathedral is an example of this and the tvscreens in the cathedral are perhaps just a further step in the direction of crowdpleasing. When I visited the mass many people left the church immediately after the swinging of the botofumeiro had stopped while the service was not completed.
The idea of visiting a smaller church for people who are searching for a more spiritual experience seems to be a very good alternative

Worshipers toward the rear of each nave can see what is going on, a good feature to me. Ads when there is no mass should not be a distraction to those touring the cathedral. There will be big screens outside the cathedral for services on and around July 25 as a courtesy to those who cannot get inside. It is a nice way to share.

Thinking back on my just-completed Camino 2017, I would have to say that the one thing that jolted me more than anything else was the addition of flat screen TVs in the Santiago cathedral, at least six of them, two in each nave, or maybe more. During mass, the TV screen shows what's going on at the altar, but during the rest of the time it is like a changing billboard with church- and pilgrim-office related information, including tours of the cathedral, etc. It certainly adds to the carnival-like activity all around, with people occasionally letting out big "shhhhhhhhhs."

Not sure what atmosphere the cathedral bosses are going for, but IMO this certainly detracts from any sense of solemnity or sacredness that might still be left there.

Hola Laurie - thanks for the reminder. I was seated in the north nave and close to the front so did not need the screens, however my eyes did wander to the "adverts". I thought it must have been a local TV station - another revenue raiser for the Cathedral; not an internal production.

I think this is a brilliant idea. It is very common in many places, such as in parts oft the Philippines there are screens outside many churches, though mainly for those that can't get inside at all.
Late arrivals penned into the side can see what is happening and everyone can get up to date information. I like it.
Plus, there are still many many churches on the Camino that were far more 'mediaeval' anyway.

I think they're a fine idea for when the church is crowded and no one can see the Mass. But using them in "off hours" is really tacky.
But then, this cathedral administration is apparently not burdened with good taste. (Some would say the whole botafumeiro spectacle is a vulgarity passed down through the ages!)
This too shall pass.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think they're a fine idea for when the church is crowded and no one can see the Mass. But using them in "off hours" is really tacky.
But then, this cathedral administration is apparently not burdened with good taste. (Some would say the whole botafumeiro spectacle is a vulgarity passed down through the ages!)
This too shall pass.

It is probably something burned into me from my Calvinist ancestry but I must confess that I find a lot of Spanish church architecture of the baroque and rococo styles "tacky": gloriously over-the-top and unquestionably impressive but I'm not sure where "taste" ever enters into it. I am always more moved by the simple and austere churches of an earlier period such as O Cebreiro. From a purely aesthetic point of view I dislike the addition of TV screens to the cathedral but I can see that they have their uses from time to time. A lapse in taste perhaps but hardly a sacrilege.

I did like the soundbars installed at some of the churches we visited. The music they played reminded us that we were in a place beyond a museum or a tourism point of interest. I'm not sure how to react to the televisions though.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think I understand why people are upset by TV screens, but not really identify with the anger. I think it is a great way to help the people far from the altar see what is going on. Most of the churches that I have been in in the US have a screen of some sort but to go as far as "tacky"... I guess? I think whatever helps people connect what to what is happening during services is great. The cathedral is far from an austere and plain place.. having one more thing on the walls doesn't really stick in my craw. Giant gilded alter pieces, people embracing St James, cathedral tours, swinging botafumier.. I think it all goes together just fine. You can bring solemnity and sacredness with you... it doesn't necessarily have to be impinged upon by a flat screen.

That being said, I do very much appreciate the smaller, quieter, more austere chapels found all over the world and along the way. I can value both equally I guess. I think walking into Santiago is a celebration and a strong moment for reflection. I think the Cathedral provides for celebration and reflection as is...TV screens, pilgrims with cell phones, cathedral tours, and all.

Of course my church at home is covered in TV screens and large projection screens, so I may be immune.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For those seeking something else, Santiago has buckets of parish and other churches. Santa Maria Salome in the Rua Nova, San Augustino by the market, and Las Animas are all worth a visit.

Tacky is not the word. Gorgeous Baroque churches all over Mexico. Flawless works of art. Until you understand where the gold to make the, came from.

Had a bit of a discussion about the retablos in the Mexico City cathedral and the people in need outside its doors with the nuns at school when I was in 5th grade.

They called my parents about my attitude.

I won. My parents told the nun I was right. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tacky is not the word. Gorgeous
Actually, I agree with you. We need to step out of our usual/current standards or tastes, and try to understand another context, to get an appreciation of it. I can't judge the medieval church interiors on the basis of how I would decorate my living room today! o_O

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Sign of the times.

The church I have spent my life in, installed six flatscreens and a large roll down screen and projector several years ago. This came after an upgrade to our sound system. Now, the church was built in 1879 and has a full balcony and the sound system has improved sound quality for those who sit under the balcony.

The TV screens allow those same parishioners to see what is on the main screen. Two screens are pointed toward the choir loft at the front allowing choir members to see what is going on as well.

Now, unlike the SdC Cathedral, we do not have cameras. All of our feed comes from a laptop usually following through a powerpoint. Sometimes we may see a streamed video or a DVD.

All of this does allow the congregation to hear better and see better what is going on, follow along and hopefully enhance their enjoyment as well as understanding of the Service. It does sound as though the Padres have the same intention. And, I dare say, they do have one of the higher attendance rates of any cathedral West of Rome.

Adobe, Romanesque, Baroque, Rococo, Spanish Gothic, Templar Sepulcres and a few styles in between like Gaudi's works are great to explore as an architect and a pilgrim. To be able to study the construction and the morphisis of the floor plans and compare the playfulness in acoustics is my main reason for visiting chapels, churches and cathedrals. Unfortunately, as Paddy O'Gara has written the lack of priests in Spain is going to lead to the demise and ultimate destruction of these Godly structures in the coming centuries.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Unfortunately, as Paddy O'Gara has written the lack of priests in Spain is going to lead to the demise and ultimate destruction of these Godly structures in the coming centuries.

As I read your words I immediately thought of the Philip Larkin poem "Church Going" where he imagines a future in which conventional religious practice has died out and yet some remnant of belief or tradition still draws people to the former holy sites. Already there has been a marked shift in the motivation and understanding of pilgrimage to Santiago as more people describe their purpose as "spiritual" or "cultural" rather than conventionally "religious". Yet the number of pilgrims grows year on year. The creation of a secular welcome certificate as an alternative to the overtly religious Compostela explicitly recognises this shift though I believe very few people ask for one.

http://www.artofeurope.com/larkin/lar5.htm

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.