• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Twelve Camino Rules for Life

Michael D

Time of past OR future Camino
September - October 2018
As we all know, the Camino is a metaphor for life. Walking the Camino Frances in September, I came up with the following twelve Camino rules that can also be applied to real life. Would anyone care to add, modify, or subtract? (I realize they're somewhat serious, so some humorous rules would also be welcome.)
  1. After taking your first step, keep placing one foot in front of the other.
  2. Lighten your load. It will make your journey easier.
  3. Judge not that ye be not judged.
  4. No need to hurry. We will all end up in the same place.
  5. If you lose your way, a stranger will help you find the right path.
  6. It’s good to have company, but there are times when it’s better to walk alone.
  7. Suffering can be a source of strength.
  8. If you look after your feet, your mind will take care of itself.
  9. Inspiration comes from a cloud-filled sky.
  10. The journey is as important as the destination.
  11. Everyone must find their own camino.
  12. Keep walking! (See rule number 1.)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As we all know, the Camino is a metaphor for life. Walking the Camino Frances in September, I came up with the following twelve Camino rules that can also be applied to real life. Would anyone care to add, modify, or subtract?
  1. In order to finish, you first have to begin.
  3. Keep placing one step in front of the other.
  6. It’s good to have company, but there are times when it’s better to walk alone.
  7. Suffering is a source of strength.
  12. Keep walking!
This is a great list. The only edit I suggest is for number 10. I‘d write, “The journey is more important than the destination.”

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
These three Buddha quotes seem most appropriate.

"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."...
“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.” ...
“Set your heart on doing good. Do it over and over again, and you will be filled with joy.”

You don’t need a guide, just follow the arrows.

If you need directions ask a German, want a drink then walk with a Scot, conversation; a North American, laughter; an Irish person, good food to share; Italians, different ways of looking at the world: Koreans. Combine any of the above for good companionship.

Never go to bed without your earplugs in reach.

Moderation in all things, particularly sobriety.

Keep going. Don’t worry about the small stuff.

You will always find a bed.

There is very little that carbohydrate, vino tinto and a laugh with fellow pilgrims won’t fix.

Enjoy the simple things.

Don’t hurry. Even Jesus asked for a little more time.

Never pat a burning dog, or Spanish guard dogs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As we all know, the Camino is a metaphor for life. Walking the Camino Frances in September, I came up with the following twelve Camino rules that can also be applied to real life. Would anyone care to add, modify, or subtract? (Looking them over, I realize they're somewhat serious, so some humorous rules would also be welcome.)
  12. Keep walking!
I think I’ll print this one and pin it up! Very thoughtful and well put...in a metaphorical way!

One more:
If you think it is a steep "subida", just turn back and you'll see it's a "bachada", ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is a great list. The only edit I suggest is for number 10. I‘d write, “The journey is more important than the destination.”

I prefer his original, as it's more generally accurate -- there are a few pilgrims who seriously detest the walking, but for whom completion of it is vitally important.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As we all know, the Camino is a metaphor for life. Walking the Camino Frances in September, I came up with the following twelve Camino rules that can also be applied to real life. Would anyone care to add, modify, or subtract? (Looking them over, I realize they're somewhat serious, so some humorous rules would also be welcome.)
  12. Keep walking!
I agree with every one of these points, especially 12, your Camino is from birth to death, it didn't end at Santiago or Finisterre.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As we all know, the Camino is a metaphor for life. Walking the Camino Frances in September, I came up with the following twelve Camino rules that can also be applied to real life. Would anyone care to add, modify, or subtract? (I realize they're somewhat serious, so some humorous rules would also be welcome.)
Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present. (From Kung fu Panda movie).

Stay present.

Nice one! :)

Whenever I read these type of statements I can't help thinking of the great W C Fields.

Attachments

• 20181104_203852.jpg
    20181104_203852.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 78
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Twelve has become the de facto standard for rules for life. Some kind of magic number, I guess. Viz. 12 rules for life by Jordan Peterson.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And the greeks worshipped 12 gods of olympus

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good & thoughtful list- after coming back I sometimes have to remember the peace.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you Michael I copied this and posted on Facebook. I did give Michael D. credit.

Sage advice!

Age is not a number, it's an attitude..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
American baseball great/folk philosopher Satchel Paige once gave six rules for living successfully, and #6 may have application to the Camino:
"Don't look back; something might be gaining on you."

€46,-
My friend I now think the destination distracts from the journey. The destination is totally irrelevant. Even though I was very emotional when I got to Santiago this time. I realized quickly it was not because I finished, but what Santiago and especially the Cathedral represents to being. Another piece in the puzzle that are my Caminos.

Thank for sharing. Remind me of Gerard Manley poem ~Pied Beauty,
Glory be to God for dappled things –
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-fire-coal chestnut-falls; finches’ wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced – fold, fallow, and plough;
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.
to mind ~ Pied Beauty.
Glory be to God for dappled things –
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches’ wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced – fold, fallow, and plough;
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

Yes..I’ve heard that saying “age is not a number, it’s an altitude”...mine’s getting higher 😂
Which reminds me of another Satchel Paige quote, this rhetorical question: "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?" I'm 73, but if I lost my birth certificate and memory I'd probably say about 50.

Which reminds me of another Satchel Paige quote, this rhetorical question: "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?" I'm 73, but if I lost my birth certificate and memory I'd probably say about 50.
It never matters...always look on the bright side..the candles on the birthday cake save on the heating bills!

"Twenty two today" as Dad always said
I would like to share my Camino programming as to who I want to be as I enter Santiago and all the present moments that follow. How do you get to Symphony Hall..."Practice".
Matters not the years,enjoy the ride.
Now Please repeat silently after me.
"I am...
Whole, Perfect, Strong, Powerful, Loving, Kind, Compassionate, Considerate, Harmonious, Happy, Healthy, Wealthy and Wise".
copywrite: October17-28, 2018 Portuguese Camino
Repeat for the next 150-500 miles
Find the rhythm, it got a great beat and you can dance to it.
Give it a try and feel free to embellish.

I concur. All applicable to post Camino life, definitely.
Re point 4- a variation to the ‘not hurry’ advice, I saw on the way and absolutely love:

- life is too short to hurry it.

€149,-

Keep AM and PM noise to a minimum in alberques ie: organise your backpack for the next day before you head off for dinner and if you must leave at 3 4 or 5am be as quiet s a mouse. I guess im saying think

16. Be carefully what you ask for ;)

Ooops Just to finish I guess I'm saying think of others not just yourself!
And don't press post reply before you're finished!

Great post!
I was going to suggest that one more could be added saying that if the Camino gives you a problem then there is probably a lesson or a gift inside it somewhere.
But on second reading I think you may have touched it already with number 9
>>
Inspiration comes from a cloud-filled sky.
>>

“But the beauty is in the walking -- we are betrayed by destinations.” Gwyn Thomas

For everyone flatulates, so relax...don't be embarrassed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Are you Michael D president of Ireland and poet. Failte go dti an camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Accept the Camino fellowship for what it is...a gift from another.

13. Be vigilant and aware always how your actions-intentional or not-might limit or restrict the rights of others who live, work, or travel on the Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back