• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Twelve Days Out--Random Thoughts

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
In three days, our daughter gets married, an event that will surely be special and amazing. As her wedding planner (yep, I'm a good event person), I will be delighted when the cake shows up, the DJ plays the right music at the right time, and the champagne flutes stay in one piece---they were a gift of good crystal.

In the back of my mind (about a centimeter back! ha ha!) is my real obsession: my first Camino de Santiago.

Random thoughts:

1. My pack is amazing, but I sure wish I'd given more thought to the part that straps at the waist. If it only had a place for my drinking bottle. Bought one of those strap-on items, and it bounces around annoyingly. Did I get myself a Smarttube? No. Dragged heels on that. May do it, or may just resort to my newest trick: tucking half full water bottle against my chest in the chest strap, where it merrily crinkles and jounces a bit.

2. My feet are about as good as they are going to get. I am calloused up from miles of training. I have to stretch, wiggle, massage. Achilles tendonitis? Yep, on the left if I'm not careful. Plantar's Fascitis? Yep, lingering on both feet. Must keep stretching. Right after wedding, tea soaks, massages on feet, lots of water. "Body Glide" is good. Must remember to pack.

3. Must pack my pack. I've got everything, and must help it find its place. I'm a minimalist, so that's going to be fun. I have waterproof bags, and good there. I think I can stuff my ultra light down bag into one of them, as well as the Altus Poncho. Wait, that's silly!

4. Never did get the Dog Dazer. I had the revelation the other day that I could get it in Spain so stopped worrying about it.

5. Must get to the doctor for the written prescriptions. I do have one Rx that I have to pack carefully, but I'll be fine. Trying to remember how I took care of this when I was living in Cambodia. Their pharmacies are so dusty and random, with heart meds next to morphine next to baby aspirin. If I lose anything, I'll just replace it in Spain, so am going to make sure I've got good dosage notes. It's fine.

6. Smiling to think about flying. I developed an anxiety / fear of it some years ago, but honestly, I was chatting with a friend yesterday who said she loved to fly. Her father, a pilot for years, was apparently a remarkable and natural pilot and would often get himself and the family into "pickles" over many years. She shared that when she got a bit stressed in the air, she would go into a deep calm. This woman, my acupuncturist since 2011, told me several fascinating stories about her dad saving the day (the day which he had gotten them into, so to speak). I was laughing and enjoying her stories, and realized that my strategy is also the "deep calm". It works. So there!

7. I'm so excited. Wedding first, then it's full on Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buen Camino!
Sounds like you have earned this journey after planning your daughter's wedding! Enjoy your time to yourself. :)

Oh my, you do take on a lot @CaminoDebrita! I did all the flowers for the church and the reception for our daughter's wedding in June. Took me over a month to decompress and get over a sense of loss. I couldn't figure it out. One thing I read that helped me, and which I think will help with my inevitable blues after I finish the Camino: Completing a goal is a form of loss. A loss of anticipation, a loss of expectations. In a sense, one might need to go through a form of grief that a goal has been achieved. So don't be surprised if, after a lovely day beaming with pride over your beautiful daughter, you crash.

I pray your Camino will meet your needs, known and unknown. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Plantar's Fascitis? Yep, lingering on both feet. Must keep stretching.
I started developing Plantar Fasciitis too. My foot doctor gave me a series of stretches I was to do THREE times a day for the rest of my life. Yeah, right.

I read this article from the NY Times about research into an exercise for the problem instead of (or you could do in addition to) the standard PF stretches. My problem is nearly gone. So, check it out.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/15/heel-pain-treatment/?_r=0

Hi, Deb, the countdown is soon going to be in single digits. Wow for you! Hope the wedding is a wonderful event!

I never did find the dog dazer in my Camino boxes so I must have thrown it out or given it to Goodwill or something. But I really think its use on the Camino Francés will be extremely minimal, I would hold off buying it if I were you. On the Invierno, the Olvidado, maybe, but the Francés has too many people for any dog owner to just leave a barking threatening dog to run loose. You will find loose dogs, but they will be lying peacefully in the sun and may not even open their eyes when you pass by.

About the feet -- bring a plastic bag, so that when you get to a bar at the end of the day, you can ask the owner for some ice cubes. Ice works wonders. Apply to the achilles, apply to the arches, use it generously. No more than 10 minutes at a stretch. Take off your shoes whenever you stop for a rest. If there's a stream nearby, all the better, plop them in it. It is incredibly restorative. Sorry to be preachy and sound doctrinaire, but I am so confident that these are good things for you that I don't even bother to introduce it as a suggestion or an opinion -- my advice would be to just do those things. :)

Hi @caminodeb, what an exciting time for you. I'm on the Camino at the moment and I think we have the same backpack. I love it, but this time I also have a small waist pack as I'm walking solo and I hate taking off my pack to get my water. Here's a photo: image.jpg

It's a really cheap running one and it also takes my passport, money etc. I didn't want to buy a 'good' backpacking one in case I didn't like the feel of a waist pack. However, it has worked brilliantly. I also carry a bigger bottle of water in my backpack.

Re the dogs - I second @peregrina2000 's advice. I'm nervous of dogs but I had no issues with them on the Frances. Lots of them on the Ingles, though!

I hope that all goes well with the wedding planning and the final Camino preparations.

Nuala.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Deb I think you have kept me more amazed at your prep than anyone else. I really feel you will get many blessings along the way due to it. Just one more reminder, you have been given an amazing gift your resilience, listen to your body as you go.
I think I am as excited as you are, just to get your take of the experience.
God bless
Buen Camino!

I'm excited for you too!

Consider taking a yard of elastic (maybe 1/2 inch) to experiment with fastening down the bouncing water bottle. Elastic and diaper pins can be used for engineering marvels.
From your engineering background, how could I disregard this advice? Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Deb I think you have kept me more amazed at your prep than anyone else. I really feel you will get many blessings along the way due to it. Just one more reminder, you have been given an amazing gift your resilience, listen to your body as you go.
I think I am as excited as you are, just to get your take of the experience.
God bless
Buen Camino!

[Luxury of time] + [avid forum reader] + [wealth of knowledge] - [worry] / [healthy dose of skepticism] = [ready!]

Hi @caminodeb, what an exciting time for you. I'm on the Camino at the moment and I think we have the same backpack. I love it, but this time I also have a small waist pack as I'm walking solo and I hate taking off my pack to get my water. Here's a photo: View attachment 21196

It's a really cheap running one and it also takes my passport, money etc. I didn't want to buy a 'good' backpacking one in case I didn't like the feel of a waist pack. However, it has worked brilliantly. I also carry a bigger bottle of water in my backpack.

Re the dogs - I second @peregrina2000 's advice. I'm nervous of dogs but I had no issues with them on the Frances. Lots of them on the Ingles, though!

I hope that all goes well with the wedding planning and the final Camino preparations.

Nuala.
Thanks for that!

I tried a waist bag earlier this summer, and I got a pretty nasty chafe as it just "rubbed me up the wrong way". Next week, I may be open to looking at one again, though! Thanks so much.

-
Hi, Deb, the countdown is soon going to be in single digits. Wow for you! Hope the wedding is a wonderful event!

I never did find the dog dazer in my Camino boxes so I must have thrown it out or given it to Goodwill or something. But I really think its use on the Camino Francés will be extremely minimal, I would hold off buying it if I were you. On the Invierno, the Olvidado, maybe, but the Francés has too many people for any dog owner to just leave a barking threatening dog to run loose. You will find loose dogs, but they will be lying peacefully in the sun and may not even open their eyes when you pass by.

About the feet -- bring a plastic bag, so that when you get to a bar at the end of the day, you can ask the owner for some ice cubes. Ice works wonders. Apply to the achilles, apply to the arches, use it generously. No more than 10 minutes at a stretch. Take off your shoes whenever you stop for a rest. If there's a stream nearby, all the better, plop them in it. It is incredibly restorative. Sorry to be preachy and sound doctrinaire, but I am so confident that these are good things for you that I don't even bother to introduce it as a suggestion or an opinion -- my advice would be to just do those things. :)

It occurs to me that, at times, the dogs may wish that they had a "people dazer" !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @caminodeb, what an exciting time for you. I'm on the Camino at the moment and I think we have the same backpack. I love it, but this time I also have a small waist pack as I'm walking solo and I hate taking off my pack to get my water. Here's a photo:

I am just wondering if you wear both the waist pack and the buckled belt of your backpack. That seems like it might be uncomfortable? can you elaborate?

In three days, our daughter gets married, an event that will surely be special and amazing. As her wedding planner (yep, I'm a good event person), I will be delighted when the cake shows up, the DJ plays the right music at the right time, and the champagne flutes stay in one piece---they were a gift of good crystal.

In the back of my mind (about a centimeter back! ha ha!) is my real obsession: my first Camino de Santiago.

Random thoughts:

1. My pack is amazing, but I sure wish I'd given more thought to the part that straps at the waist. If it only had a place for my drinking bottle. Bought one of those strap-on items, and it bounces around annoyingly. Did I get myself a Smarttube? No. Dragged heels on that. May do it, or may just resort to my newest trick: tucking half full water bottle against my chest in the chest strap, where it merrily crinkles and jounces a bit.

2. My feet are about as good as they are going to get. I am calloused up from miles of training. I have to stretch, wiggle, massage. Achilles tendonitis? Yep, on the left if I'm not careful. Plantar's Fascitis? Yep, lingering on both feet. Must keep stretching. Right after wedding, tea soaks, massages on feet, lots of water. "Body Glide" is good. Must remember to pack.

3. Must pack my pack. I've got everything, and must help it find its place. I'm a minimalist, so that's going to be fun. I have waterproof bags, and good there. I think I can stuff my ultra light down bag into one of them, as well as the Altus Poncho. Wait, that's silly!

4. Never did get the Dog Dazer. I had the revelation the other day that I could get it in Spain so stopped worrying about it.

5. Must get to the doctor for the written prescriptions. I do have one Rx that I have to pack carefully, but I'll be fine. Trying to remember how I took care of this when I was living in Cambodia. Their pharmacies are so dusty and random, with heart meds next to morphine next to baby aspirin. If I lose anything, I'll just replace it in Spain, so am going to make sure I've got good dosage notes. It's fine.

6. Smiling to think about flying. I developed an anxiety / fear of it some years ago, but honestly, I was chatting with a friend yesterday who said she loved to fly. Her father, a pilot for years, was apparently a remarkable and natural pilot and would often get himself and the family into "pickles" over many years. She shared that when she got a bit stressed in the air, she would go into a deep calm. This woman, my acupuncturist since 2011, told me several fascinating stories about her dad saving the day (the day which he had gotten them into, so to speak). I was laughing and enjoying her stories, and realized that my strategy is also the "deep calm". It works. So there!

The trick sports and business folk use is to set a NEW GOAL, as you approach the current one. Notice how Usain Bolt will always talk about his next event in post big race interview. He's already moved on in his head.
Works for him. It will for you too Debrita. Enjoy the wedding and Buen Camino. R

Woo hoo! Remember the countdown to retirement?
Well, this one's the 'Camino Countdown'! Tick tock tick tock....
Putting a wedding in there? I don't know how you do it.

the Francés has too many people for any dog owner to just leave a barking threatening dog to run loose. You will find loose dogs, but they will be lying peacefully in the sun and may not even open their eyes when you pass by.

What Laurie said...and a few others, too. Ice/streams help. Stretching. Listening to your legs...but not so much that you give in to undue concern...
My first aid kit was waaaay too big. In the end it was all about paper tape (to prevent blisters under the toes), omnifix (put it in the search engine here and you'll find references) and the occasional bandaid (NOT compeed, but that's another, well-worn, discussion). The rest was dead weight.

I tried a waist bag earlier this summer, and I got a pretty nasty chafe as it just "rubbed me up the wrong way"
Me too. But the very best thing I bought before the Camino was the last thing--I got it at Direction Compostelle in SJPP--a Salomon Front Pocket...it holds 5L and there are 2 sleeves for bottles. IT was a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to get in and out of it but once there, I was SO happy to have it. Camera, water, lunch, and much else could go in there, attached to the shoulder straps of my pack by clips and secured by the pack's waistbelt going through the back--so no swinging and no rubbing. Not only did it give instant access, but also it balanced the load, and had plenty of ventilation. Send me a PM if you want to borrow it...you're welcome to.
Here's a link to a photo. I know others here have tried it too, maybe try a search to get their experience. (I didn't use it for water as I was using a bladder that fit in my pack...)
http://www.teamrunningfree.com/wordpress/uploads/salomon-custom-front-pocket-n28373_xl.jpg
And a pic of it being used: On the Meseta.JPG

May you easily surf the waves of this coming week, and then be safely on your way to a buen camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Random thoughts:

Just saw this post! Well done. Two years to go for me. Keep me posted. Good luck. Wayne

The trick sports and business folk use is to set a NEW GOAL, as you approach the current one. Notice how Usain Bolt will always talk about his next event in post big race interview. He's already moved on in his head.
Works for him. It will for you too Debrita. Enjoy the wedding and Buen Camino. R
Bobcat---I have always done that! Isn't that fascinating? When I was at university, I was always working on the"next" project, and taught my students (secondary level) the same trick. Thanks for articulating it so well. That said, I am planning the next Camino...

Woo hoo! Remember the countdown to retirement?
Well, this one's the 'Camino Countdown'! Tick tock tick tock....
Putting a wedding in there? I don't know how you do it.

What Laurie said...and a few others, too. Ice/streams help. Stretching. Listening to your legs...but not so much that you give in to undue concern...
My first aid kit was waaaay too big. In the end it was all about paper tape (to prevent blisters under the toes), omnifix (put it in the search engine here and you'll find references) and the occasional bandaid (NOT compeed, but that's another, well-worn, discussion). The rest was dead weight.

Me too. But the very best thing I bought before the Camino was the last thing--I got it at Direction Compostelle in SJPP--a Salomon Front Pocket...it holds 5L and there are 2 sleeves for bottles. IT was a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to get in and out of it but once there, I was SO happy to have it. Camera, water, lunch, and much else could go in there, attached to the shoulder straps of my pack by clips and secured by the pack's waistbelt going through the back--so no swinging and no rubbing. Not only did it give instant access, but also it balanced the load, and had plenty of ventilation. Send me a PM if you want to borrow it...you're welcome to.
Here's a link to a photo. I know others here have tried it too, maybe try a search to get their experience. (I didn't use it for water as I was using a bladder that fit in my pack...)
http://www.teamrunningfree.com/wordpress/uploads/salomon-custom-front-pocket-n28373_xl.jpg
And a pic of it being used: View attachment 21201

May you easily surf the waves of this coming week, and then be safely on your way to a buen camino!

Thanks so much, Vira! Honestly, I will go to the shop you mentioned and just have a look. I don't like to borrow stuff, as I feel bad that things do--on occasion--happen to stuff. As Ben Franklin would say about borrowing...well, you know that one!

I am going to keep my eyes open for it, though, and I have had such a pack in the past. I love having stuff "right THERE"--and I have also found that the less wriggling I do (in and out of pack) the less chance there is for me to do some weird strain on my back. As is, I loosen the tighten-downs at my shoulder level, then use all fingertips to lift pack up from the back as I wriggle. I'm leaving nothing to chance, as just doing the walking is going to--at some point--blow my back out. Not a pessimist, a realist!

Delighted to now be checking out that link. Thanks so much, @Viranani , and to the rest of you too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey, it's just stuff...but I totally understand your reluctance. Besides you'll have your own this way.
So the getting in and out of harness is a little more complicated, but it's only a matter of an extra step, unclipping the front pack from the rest. Very fast, very easy, once you get the hang of it.
Having your back seize up? No. Thank you, no. I think this may help the back, because it really does help balance the load front to back--especially if you use it for water bottles (the little pouches on the side take something the diameter of a Sigg bottle, but not much bigger.

Oh, and just a thought--you may want to write the folks at the shop in SJPP to see if they have one in stock. http://www.directioncompostelle.com/
Ahhhhh...you're so kind! I will do that.

A side note: it occurs to me time again how difficult communication can be.

I love your note that "it's just stuff"--I so agree.

What I meant about my back is that I've noticed--(since I am always having to deal with some degree of back pain, despite being flexible and fairly strong)---that it's not good for me to constantly be taking my pack off to get to my water bottles, inconveniently far away in the bottle containers on the Deuter. Seriously, it is a design flaw! And what I really meant is that I love the idea of this device. It's kind of like a "baby Aarn" pack.

Thanks so much. I can see that I can order one from Amazon too.

XXOO

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
L'e-mail a bien été envoyé à votre destianataire.---it looks like it sent! Yay!

Fantastique!
(And yes, exactly...like an Aarn, but a way of adapting what we already have. And the drinking thing...yes. That's why I use a bladder. No contortion needed and you can drink as much or as little whenever you want. My Swiss friends tease me no end about this, calling it my baby bottle, which makes me laugh...but I'll refrain from saying "I told you so" when they finally see for themselves how well it works.)

Last edited:
I really love a 'bum bag'/ waist bag and got so used to using my well padded Tatonka for our first few caminos. It holds 2 water bottles and has a mid space for camera and all the little essentials. I just love its accessibility and the way I could even briefly rest my sticks across it. It is excellent for security after hours and somehow it just worked with the back pack straps... and never chafed.

Then for our 'big' camino in 2011, the VdlP, we went all out for weight reduction and bought the NZ Aarn Liquid Agility Balance Packs... with front balance pockets attached. (Only about 32litre) These are wonderful and really work to balance the body better with more weight on the front and the straps ideally not touching the shoulders. Aarn is cumbersome to take off and put on and takes some getting used to, looks a bit weird with the 'boob' bags in front, but are brilliant. Not sure if still available but could easily check. There was a distributor in Melbourne.

. . . but I still miss my waist bag.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Better still, Deb,
Get a bottle pop (soda to you) and put it in the freezer of the alberque you spend the night in. After an hour or so, take the pop bottle and roll it under your feet. The cold will reduce the inflammation (the 'itis' part of the plantar fasciitis) and the rolling will massage the area to loosen up the fascia. This is standard homecare treatment for PF. Better if the bottle has ridges on it (like the old Coke bottles).
If you can't find a bottle and use the ice, make sure you put a cloth or towel between your skin and the ice; you don't want to get frostburn as well as PF! (Like Laurie/peregrina2000, my intent is not to sound preachy! I've been a healthcare provider for the last 21 years and this is one of the treatments I've given to clients when they come in with plantar fasciitis!)
I hope your daughter's wedding goes off without much ado and you soon have a wonderful new son to add to your family!
Enjoy your walk to Santiago; from reading your posts, you are all set and will have a great time!
Buen Camino!

Random thoughts:

Hi, I bought a water bottle that attached like a bumbag, but I wore it over my shoulder so that the bottle sat on my chest. Easy access and worked like a charm . The strap was a wide elastic band that had a clasp like the back pack. I also brought one over for my brother as when I took a photo and sent it to him he wanted one also. He lives in Australia and I in Canada. We met over in Paris to start our walk. The bottles worked well , because your arm does not bend enough to reach the bottle on the side of your backpack..I hope you can find one.. I am also heading off again 1st October, it gets in your blood and you can't stop going back.. Have fun..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back