• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two additions to my pack

peregrina2000

Staff member
Leaving in four days, with all my pack contents lying on the guest room beds. And I wanted to give shout-outs to two forum members whose posts made me buy two new pack items.

To @Rick of Rick and Peg, thanks for the post about the nifty tick remover. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/tick-borne-disease-update.43020/#post-442573

And to @lizlane, thanks for the post about the whistle.

I walk alone on untraveled Caminos and I have had many ticks. I havenā€™t had any reason to use a whistle but it seems like a good idea for a 68 yo woman walking alone with no one around.

Thanks guys! Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Have a wonderful Camino, Laurie, and take care on those mountain variants!
(that whistle might come in useful ... the sound of it should carry for miles and miles!)

I ordered a set of 3 of those tick removers (the extra 2 are for family members). They look so much easier to use than the many different types Iā€™ve already tried. Just hope mine doesnā€™t make a hole in my pocket, as itā€™s on my keyring ...

thanks for the tip, @Rick of Rick and Peg ā­ļø

Ultreia, peregrina!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Leaving in four days, with all my pack contents lying on the guest room beds. And I wanted to give shout-outs to two forum members whose posts made me buy two new pack items.

To @Rick of Rick and Peg, thanks for the post about the nifty tick remover. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/tick-borne-disease-update.43020/#post-442573

I walk alone on untraveled Caminos and I have had many ticks. I havenā€™t had any reason to use a whistle but it seems like a good idea for a 68 yo woman walking alone with no one around.

Buen Camino Laurie, I hope that you have no need for either item but how great to have them. I had a whistle but I hadn't thought of bringing my tick remover. Thanks for the tips :)

Buen camino, Laurie, keep us informed of your adventures! I would say you are going to be walking through some tick areas.
I alwasy ever got two ticks in my life, in Asturias and in LeĆ³n, but I removed them without realizing they were there, just casually scratching.
They are scary little buggers, indeed, and they seem to like grass and backpacks

BUEN CAMINO!!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Which camino are you going to walk this time? Will you be posting here? By the way I have always carried a whistle in 20 years of walking, but never had to use it - touch wood for the future!
Buen camino!

Buen Camino, Laurie! Looking forward to your posts.

That tick remover looks very nifty indeed. Damian got a couple of ticks last week on the Salvador. Inevitable, with so much long grass and all those grazing animals. Our tick card was good for the small and large ones, but less so for the medium-sized critters.

I've been carrying a tick removal 'key' since my first Camino. I have never needed it. But whether I use it, or the ticks know I have it and just stay away, I have had no tick problems...yet...

Have a great time! We look forward to hearing about it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
To @Rick of Rick and Peg, thanks for the post about the nifty tick remover.
I appreciate the appreciation Laurie.

I'm at the very first part of the planning stage of walking the Camino Catalan this autumn. All the information you are providing me (and the rest of the world) with your informational posts and GPS tracks is an elephant to my tick.

Buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-

I don't know, Laurie . . . That tick remover looks awfully heavy. Perhaps you should clip off the fat end of it to same some weight. I know how you struggle up and down under that impossibly large pack of yours.

Buen Camino!

Iā€™m starting my third Camino on August 8th. Primitivo! Going solo as usual and a whistle sounds great! Iā€™m 65 and in decent shape, should I be able to do the Primitivo in 16 days? Thanks Laurie, you have been an inspiration to me since my first Camino in 2014!!
Ultreia!
Rosemary

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Isn't the sternum strip of backpacks contain a whistle? Mine always did. Buen Camino.

Isn't the sternum strip of backpacks contain a whistle? Mine always did. Buen Camino.

I got my pack for my second camino in 2001 and have used it every year since then. It is a very old, out of production Mountainsmith Ghost pack and it doesnā€™t have any of the new improvements. But it is like an appendage and I would never trade it in. So if I want a whistle, I have to add it to a little cord on the outside of my pack!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Buen Camino Laurie, look forward to your posts. Where are you going?
Elaine
Heading to IrĆŗn tomorrow. :) Champaign-Chicago-Philadelphia-Madrid-San SebastiĆ”n. The SS airport is actually in IrĆŗn, about a 20 minute walk from the center of town. Hoped-for walk would be Vasco Interior to Santo Domingo (very grateful for VN and Sabineā€™s posts), hop a bus to Aguilar de Campoo for the Olvidado into Ponferrada, the Valley of Silence circle from Ponferrada, and then onto the Invierno. Obviously, things can change, but that is the dream.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We get lots of ticks when bushwalking in Australia. My remedy is to run a very hot bath when I get home and soak for a while. It's fun to see them drown and rise to the surface. I realize that this is not always possible on the Camino, but its something to bear in mind when you get the chance.

Most read last week in this forum

Iā€™m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use whatā€™s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Wellā€¦ā€¦ about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.