A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

two cyclist pilgrims died in León

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/?/Invierno ('19)
Fortunately their son survived.
Oh, my.
Boundless compassion.
To be the only survivor of such a thing is a very heavy burden.
May this couple rest in peace, having gone together on the way to Santiago.

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (Spring '17)
Primitivo (Spring '18)
Madrid (April '19)
For those who haven't clicked through or don't read Spanish, the son is 12 years old and is in critical condition. Such a tragedy.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
No no, acording to other news the son suffered minor injuries because he was ahead.
I read that he suffered grave injuries and was taken to the hospital.
mientras que el hijo, de doce años de edad, resultó herido de gravedad y fue traslado en ambulancia al Centro Asistencial de León.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
Voie de Paris / Tours Aulnay to Saintes 2017
Camino del Baztan 2018
What an awful tragedy. So sad

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
OMGoodness.

May their son find solace during this horrible time. And, may his parents R.I.P.

God bless the driver who hit them. I can not imagine how his life will play out now.
I expect he will a guest of the Spanish Govt for the next 10-15 years. Drunk driving is very much frowned upon in Spain.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Life is fragile! Imagine starting out with such joy and excitement with your parents on a cycling pilgrimage and adventure to wind up in critical condition and your parents gone! How does one recover from it all? If they list the name of the family, might it be posted? I would like to spiritually bring this boy with me on my camino in October. May his parents R.I.P.

MTowers

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago in 2015 and Camino Finisterre in September 2017
Camino Portuguese from Tui 2018
Life is fragile! Imagine starting out with such joy and excitement with your parents on a cycling pilgrimage and adventure to wind up in critical condition and your parents gone! How does one recover from it all? If they list the name of the family, might it be posted? I would like to spiritually bring this boy with me on my camino in October. May his parents R.I.P.
I will do the same in September. Requiescant in pace.

Camino(s) past & future
in fall 2017
Life is fragile! Imagine starting out with such joy and excitement with your parents on a cycling pilgrimage and adventure to wind up in critical condition and your parents gone! How does one recover from it all? If they list the name of the family, might it be posted? I would like to spiritually bring this boy with me on my camino in October. May his parents R.I.P.[/QUOTE
This is a awful event to happen to this family: and especially the young boy. I am sending healing energy his way.
Please, however, don't make it worse by 'spiritually' bringing the boy on your Camino. Send him healing energy. Mentally send him pictures.
Most of us don't really understand the 'spiritual' world. Mucking with someone's 'spiritual' energy by calling them to you can cause major problems including out-of-body experiences. Not Good!
At the moment and for months to come, the young boy needs to feel loved and cared for where he is at in his healing. He needs to stay present for his healing to occur. He does not need to be be pulled away from his body by 'well intended' but uninformed pilgrims. Instead lets all direct love and healing energy his way.

Rex

Pilgrim Trekker
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Santiago (2013)
Lisboa to Santiago (2018)
May the parents Rest In Peace and enter into the Place of Eternal Safety... and may the rest of us in the Pilgrim community lift the youngster in prayers and loving healing thoughts. He will need them in the months and years (God willing) to come.
In pace et virtute orationis!

bikingcaroline

Camino(s) past & future
camino del norte (2018)
I am cycling my first camino from Bayonne and as a solo cyclist have found Spanish drivers to be so courteous. Unlike in the UK and after one day of biking in France it will be never again!
So sad to hear this tragic news. May they RIP and my thoughts are with their son.

Camino(s) past & future
CF Sep/Oct 2015
C Primitivo Sep / Oct 2016
Portugese Sep/Oct 2017
VdlP, Muxia 2018
Oh, my.
Boundless compassion.
To be the only survivor of such a thing is a very heavy burden.
May this couple rest in peace, having gone together on the way to Santiago.
A couple (husband and wife) from the Basque country died hit by a car. The driver escaped but was detained by the police in Mansilla de las Mulas. He was drunk. Fortunately their son survived.

http://www.elcorreogallego.es/santiago/ecg/fallece-un-matrimonio-peregrinos-atropellado-un-conductor-ebrio/idEdicion-2018-06-29/idNoticia-1124041/
Speechless. So tragic. May they RIP and the child receive all the support and love that he needs now and into the future.

Bob from L.A. !

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
Such a tragic chain of events. There is no winner in this scenario.
I do not understand how someone (driver) can leave the scene of a traffic collision after running over three bicyclists.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/?/Invierno ('19)
I do not understand how someone (driver) can leave the scene of a traffic collision after running over three bicyclists.
Neither likely did he, once he sobered up. Alcohol and fear together make people do all sorts of inexplicable and inexcusable things.

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
Such true pilgrim love. Thank you Marbe2.

Frances Bat

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances SJPdP (June 2017)
Camino Frances Sarria (June 2018)
Camino Ingles (July 2018)
Very sad news indeed. I feel so sorry for the boy. May his parents rest in peace.

ksam

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese '08, Frances '11, del Norte '14, Invierno '16, Ingles '17, Primitivo October 2018
Prayers for this poor young boy. It's tough enough to lose parents when your older and it's expected and you have life experience to deal with it. But to be twelve years old ... I can't wrap my head around it. I can only pray for him. And yes, the driver too. I can't imagine the pain his family and he (assuming it's a male) are going thru. It will never be over for him either.

Landon Ricketts

Smile, you are alive. You've got options :-)
Camino(s) past & future
Past - May 2018, Future - May 2019
Homicide committed by grave recklessness is covered in article 142, which includes both reckless homicide by weapons or motor vehicles and homicide caused by professional recklessness. It states:

"1. He who by grave recklessness causes the death of another will be punished, as a defendant of reckless homicide, with a prison sentence of one to four years.

2. When the reckless homicide is committed using a motor vehicle, a motorcycle or a firearm, the defendant will also be deprived of his right to drive motor vehicles or motorcycles or the right to possess and carry arms for one to six years.

Micah26

Camino(s) past & future
Camino France's (2018)
So sad. May the boy find support in family and friends. May the parents rest in Peace. This is a tragedy for all involved. I will hold them all in my heart when I walk in September...

Bob from L.A. !

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
Homicide committed by grave recklessness is covered in article 142, which includes both reckless homicide by weapons or motor vehicles and homicide caused by professional recklessness. It states:

"1. He who by grave recklessness causes the death of another will be punished, as a defendant of reckless homicide, with a prison sentence of one to four years.

2. When the reckless homicide is committed using a motor vehicle, a motorcycle or a firearm, the defendant will also be deprived of his right to drive motor vehicles or motorcycles or the right to possess and carry arms for one to six years.
(Aside from the topic) - These penalties, IMO, seem rather lenient when this young survivor is going to have to endure a lifetime of pain over his losses.

Landon Ricketts

Smile, you are alive. You've got options :-)
Camino(s) past & future
Past - May 2018, Future - May 2019
@ Bob from LA. I agree, but I am not Spanish and so unqualified to comment on Spanish law. I got that information from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide_in_Spain
However in a similar case last year, where a drunk/drugged driver killed three and injured several other cyclists from Javea, the individual was charged with Homicide with imprudence which apparently carries a longer sentence.

Last edited:

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 153 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 254 25.0%