• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

two cyclist pilgrims died in León

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No no, acording to other news the son suffered minor injuries because he was ahead.
I read that he suffered grave injuries and was taken to the hospital.
mientras que el hijo, de doce años de edad, resultó herido de gravedad y fue traslado en ambulancia al Centro Asistencial de León.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What an awful tragedy. So sad

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
OMGoodness.

May their son find solace during this horrible time. And, may his parents R.I.P.

God bless the driver who hit them. I can not imagine how his life will play out now.

I expect he will a guest of the Spanish Govt for the next 10-15 years. Drunk driving is very much frowned upon in Spain.

Life is fragile! Imagine starting out with such joy and excitement with your parents on a cycling pilgrimage and adventure to wind up in critical condition and your parents gone! How does one recover from it all? If they list the name of the family, might it be posted? I would like to spiritually bring this boy with me on my camino in October. May his parents R.I.P.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Life is fragile! Imagine starting out with such joy and excitement with your parents on a cycling pilgrimage and adventure to wind up in critical condition and your parents gone! How does one recover from it all? If they list the name of the family, might it be posted? I would like to spiritually bring this boy with me on my camino in October. May his parents R.I.P.
I will do the same in September. Requiescant in pace.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Life is fragile! Imagine starting out with such joy and excitement with your parents on a cycling pilgrimage and adventure to wind up in critical condition and your parents gone! How does one recover from it all? If they list the name of the family, might it be posted? I would like to spiritually bring this boy with me on my camino in October. May his parents R.I.P.[/QUOTE
This is a awful event to happen to this family: and especially the young boy. I am sending healing energy his way.
Please, however, don't make it worse by 'spiritually' bringing the boy on your Camino. Send him healing energy. Mentally send him pictures.
Most of us don't really understand the 'spiritual' world. Mucking with someone's 'spiritual' energy by calling them to you can cause major problems including out-of-body experiences. Not Good!
At the moment and for months to come, the young boy needs to feel loved and cared for where he is at in his healing. He needs to stay present for his healing to occur. He does not need to be be pulled away from his body by 'well intended' but uninformed pilgrims. Instead lets all direct love and healing energy his way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am cycling my first camino from Bayonne and as a solo cyclist have found Spanish drivers to be so courteous. Unlike in the UK and after one day of biking in France it will be never again!
So sad to hear this tragic news. May they RIP and my thoughts are with their son.

Oh, my.
Boundless compassion.
To be the only survivor of such a thing is a very heavy burden.
May this couple rest in peace, having gone together on the way to Santiago.
A couple (husband and wife) from the Basque country died hit by a car. The driver escaped but was detained by the police in Mansilla de las Mulas. He was drunk. Fortunately their son survived.

http://www.elcorreogallego.es/santi...ebrio/idEdicion-2018-06-29/idNoticia-1124041/
Speechless. So tragic. May they RIP and the child receive all the support and love that he needs now and into the future.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Such a tragic chain of events. There is no winner in this scenario.
I do not understand how someone (driver) can leave the scene of a traffic collision after running over three bicyclists.

I do not understand how someone (driver) can leave the scene of a traffic collision after running over three bicyclists.
Neither likely did he, once he sobered up. Alcohol and fear together make people do all sorts of inexplicable and inexcusable things.

Such true pilgrim love. Thank you Marbe2.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very sad news indeed. I feel so sorry for the boy. May his parents rest in peace.

Prayers for this poor young boy. It's tough enough to lose parents when your older and it's expected and you have life experience to deal with it. But to be twelve years old ... I can't wrap my head around it. I can only pray for him. And yes, the driver too. I can't imagine the pain his family and he (assuming it's a male) are going thru. It will never be over for him either.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Homicide committed by grave recklessness is covered in article 142, which includes both reckless homicide by weapons or motor vehicles and homicide caused by professional recklessness. It states:

"1. He who by grave recklessness causes the death of another will be punished, as a defendant of reckless homicide, with a prison sentence of one to four years.

2. When the reckless homicide is committed using a motor vehicle, a motorcycle or a firearm, the defendant will also be deprived of his right to drive motor vehicles or motorcycles or the right to possess and carry arms for one to six years.

So sad. May the boy find support in family and friends. May the parents rest in Peace. This is a tragedy for all involved. I will hold them all in my heart when I walk in September...

Homicide committed by grave recklessness is covered in article 142, which includes both reckless homicide by weapons or motor vehicles and homicide caused by professional recklessness. It states:

"1. He who by grave recklessness causes the death of another will be punished, as a defendant of reckless homicide, with a prison sentence of one to four years.

2. When the reckless homicide is committed using a motor vehicle, a motorcycle or a firearm, the defendant will also be deprived of his right to drive motor vehicles or motorcycles or the right to possess and carry arms for one to six years.

(Aside from the topic) - These penalties, IMO, seem rather lenient when this young survivor is going to have to endure a lifetime of pain over his losses.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@ Bob from LA. I agree, but I am not Spanish and so unqualified to comment on Spanish law. I got that information from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide_in_Spain
However in a similar case last year, where a drunk/drugged driver killed three and injured several other cyclists from Javea, the individual was charged with Homicide with imprudence which apparently carries a longer sentence.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back