• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino The Nomad Pack - On the move!

Nomad Pack

Time of past OR future Camino
So I've been having a small dilemma recently as to which direction to go. I've been waiting for my donkey foul to grow up somewhat before embarking on another long distance trek. He is now eight months old and turning out to have an excellent character like his mother. My plan was to take the Ruta de la Lana and head south to join my wife who has just started a mountain guide course but now the universe has conspired to keep me in the north by offering me another summer season of chasing cows around the Pico's. Its a shame for me as I was really looking forward to going somewhere new. But I now have a new house to live in just off the Camino Norte and right next to the Pico's so Monday or Tuesday I will be setting off on my shortest Camino ever. Roughly 150 kilometers. About 70 kilometers of making my own way through the mountains from Ramalas de la Victoria and the rest along the Camino del Norte where I plan to connect onto it just after Santander. This will be the third trek for our foal, I've taken him on several excursions already for him to gain some experience but this will be new for him as he will have his first new home at the end. Vannii the donkey, the dogs and Buddha the cat have already travelled most of France and half of Spain with me so everybody knows their role but now with an added donkey and my wife absent I'm sure that it will be interesting. I'll try to keep this updated as make my way, there's no chance of the solar charger doing much so depends what bars I find along the way to recharge the batteries. And get drunk of course, it makes the winter camping experience much more enjoyable.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So I'm all packed and ready, just got to go and drop off the chickens to a neighbour and so long as the world doesn't suddenly end I will leave either this evening or first thing in the morning. Looks like its gonna be bad weather for the next week with plenty of clouds, some rain and colder temperatures. Just my luck but we will all face it none the less. I only expect to be on the road for a week or so but that will all depend now on how hard the rain decides to be. If it pours down then we usually find the nearest church roof to hide under. Pictures will start coming soon, forgive me if I don't write too much at first as I need the battery for the map on the first few days crossing the mountain's.
Wish the sun to stay shining for me

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you kinky for the blue skies. Makes me dream. Sorry no photos today. It rained most last night and most of the day so we are all wet along with most of the gear. Sleeping bag and clothes excluded. Buddha is the only one dry and now curled up under the sleeping bag. Smoking a big joint, eat some food and sleep is all left for today. Goodnight lucky people in your warm, dry houses.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Definitely you, I love this thread. Im in awe of such an undertaking. Love these photos, cant belive how chill the cat is. I plan to walk the length of NZ sometime in the next few years. And wondering how to take my dogs along with me.
In the absence of a donkey I settled on the idea of a hiking trailer. (They are big dogs need a lot of food) . will that work?

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
More to come, found a bar for the night and a clothing cleaning house (can't spell it in Spanish). Will settle the animals then write about the past two days and get drunk at the bar which don't close till ten 😀
This really is a fantastic thread
Can't get enough of these photos
Beautiful animals ...more photos of the cat please!
Best wishes for your journey
Annette

Definitely you, I love this thread. Im in awe of such an undertaking. Love these photos, cant belive how chill he cat is. I plan to walk the length of NZ sometime in the next few years. And wondering how to take my dogs along with me.
In the absence of a donkey I settled on the idea of a hiking trailer. (They are big dogs need a lot of food) . will that work?
Because my dogs are so big is one of the reasons I decided to get Vannii in the first place. My German shepherd Baissier doesn't like other dogs and Puppy my mastiff is very protective and doesn't like people coming too close. Although baissier always listens to me, Puppy being a mastiff will listen but is extremely strong and so is much easier to control whilst he's tied to Vannii. There is also the dog food, Puppy is now three years old and weighs just over 90kg. More than me. He carries up to 8kg of dog cookies when full which will last both dogs around 4-5 days if I share my food with them. I had baissier free and wearing her muzzle for the past two days, she's already had to chase away a couple of dogs but unable to harm them but the muzzle started rubbing her too much so I just tie her next to puppy when I see another dog now. She spends her day shepherding Nomad (the little donkey) and keep everyone together.
A hiking trailer may work. I suppose it depends on how strong the dog is and how likely he will pull it sideways. I built a cart during last summer for Vannii which I will be bringing to the new house this summer when my wife comes back. Perfect for attaching large dogs
IMG_20181114_152530.jpg

How very interesting, but it all sounds like a lot of work taking care of your little & big
4-legged friends! Are you able to curl up and sleep in that cute cart if it's raining at night?

OK, so our first day was high up along the mountain ridge, we left the house around midday, I usually expect to be off sooner than what's real. I had to close up the abandoned house I've been living in these past 18 months, turn off the water etc plus check everything one last time. Then saddle Vannii, put puppy's backpack on and strap everything on Vanni. The whole packing process takes about 45 minutes on my own from when I wake up so I'm always improving the process. I have to water everyone, takes the dogs for their morning toilet and Buddha too then I'll allow myself 10 minutes to smoke before starting the days walk. So we walked up to the top of the mountain to the path that goes along the ridge and after a five hour accent and many meetings with the local free cows we realised that we wouldn't find the flat spot I wanted so we put the hammock between a couple of ancient oaks. Vannii and nomad had a good spot a hundred meters away. During the night it rained and rained, several times cows came too close for the dogs comfort and the cows found out that wolves still live in the mountain. Everything and everyone was still dry by morning, the donkeys had hidden under a tree and the dogs under the tarpaulin. Buddha doesn't much like the hammock for it swings and makes him feel unnatural but the first splash of the nights rain had him jumping in for the night.
The next day we carried along the 15km of mountain ridge and within three hours the rain started again. Light at first but as we turned onto the other side of the mountain we were hit by the full force of the wind, rain and hail. The donkeys and dogs are tough and deal with it whilst Buddha hides under the plastic to stay dry and occasionally meows his complaints. We finally got to the road we were heading for by 4pm but we were all demoralized and lack off a good camping spot made it worst, the pegs wouldn't penetrate the ground so we had the tent erected by an elaborate display of bungee cords. Only my sleeping bag and clothes were still dry and the dogs were shivering until I sacrificed my only dry towel to dry their fur..... I finish writing after another beer

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OK, so our first day was high up along the mountain ridge, we left the house around midday, I usually expect to be off sooner than what's real. I had to close up the abandoned house I've been living in these past 18 months, turn off the water etc plus check everything one last time. Then saddle Vannii, put puppy's backpack on and strap everything on Vanni. The whole packing process takes about 45 minutes on my own from when I wake up so I'm always improving the process. I have to water everyone, takes the dogs for their morning toilet and Buddha too then I'll allow myself 10 minutes to smoke before starting the days walk. So we walked up to the top of the mountain to the path that goes along the ridge and after a five hour accent and many meetings with the local free cows we realised that we wouldn't find the flat spot I wanted so we put the hammock between a couple of ancient oaks. Vannii and nomad had a good spot a hundred meters away. During the night it rained and rained, several times cows came too close for the dogs comfort and the cows found out that wolves still live in the mountain. Everything and everyone was still dry by morning, the donkeys had hidden under a tree and the dogs under the tarpaulin. Buddha doesn't much like the hammock for it swings and makes him feel unnatural but the first splash of the nights rain had him jumping in for the night.
The next day we carried along the 15km of mountain ridge and within three hours the rain started again. Light at first but as we turned onto the other side of the mountain we were hit by the full force of the wind, rain and hail. The donkeys and dogs are tough and deal with it whilst Buddha hides under the plastic to stay dry and occasionally meows his complaints. We finally got to the road we were heading for by 4pm but we were all demoralized and lack off a good camping spot made it worst, the pegs wouldn't penetrate the ground so we had the tent erected by an elaborate display of bungee cords. Only my sleeping bag and clothes were still dry and the dogs were shivering until I sacrificed my only dry towel to dry their fur..... I finish writing after another beer
This....and your life in The Picos would surely make a great book to read?

Beer!!.....are you carrying beer as well?
Still.....the load does get lighter as you move along!!

The day after was just a 12km walk down the mountain road praying it wouldn't rain which fortunately it didn't. Nothing much to report, got a good view of Santander and my path for the next few days. We found the hermita around 4:30 so enjoyed a cosy roof to sleep under whilst it rained during the night. Now most of my things are dry again. I was giving some family entertainment for the house opposite whilst unpacking but they weren't brave enough to come and say hello or offer me water whilst they watched me dunk the bucket into the nearby stream. Buddha decided to wander off in search of females to impregnate and came running in during the night all excited, I had to jump the wall to catch him before he wondered off again so I put him on the rope for the rest off the night. He always comes back in the morning and I like him to have his freedom to hunt as after sleeping all day on Vannii he would be restless all night. He's very much a night cat and knows the routine when were travelling so I don't worry much about him. Today we only done 10km, we stopped for a coffee 2km from where we slept andI met a cyclist I know who was surprised to see me and we talked for a while then we found a roof with long grass next to it and a bar 50 meters away, with it raining again tonight such perfect circumstances are not turned down. Little by little we make our way, in the summer its easy to do 20km plus but with the early nights of winter we just don't have the time to walk as much as we would like. Had a cafe before leaving the bar and just spoke with a man who stopped his car to check the donkeys thinking they had escaped from somewhere. I'm now in the sleeping bag in my little unused building, Buddha is curled up on top of me, baissier lying beside me and puppy at my head. The donkeys are happy with all their grass and are not bothered by a little rain which has actually just stopped again. Tomorrow I'll be at the bar at 9am for a quick breakfast and then I'm taking a small road that goes round the northern part of the natural park below Santander. Then will we cut across country and pick up the Camino del norte before torrelavega. Im next to solares now, I could pick up the Camino from here but I would be adding a lot of kilometers just to walk through urban areas. There's plenty of churches along the way I've chosen so hopefully I can do the rest of the trip without having to use the tent. Once I'm on the Camino I expect I should make quicker progress without having to bother with stopping to check the maps. Buenas noches, I'll post some more photos soon

My house for the night. There's a poor horse in a muddy field right out side the entrance, I was stroking him and in the dark I touched the fence and just shared a high voltage shock with him. Felt it travel from my leg through my arm and like an explosion in my fingers as the energy hit the horse.IMG_20190119_163827.jpgIMG_20190119_163938.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How very interesting, but it all sounds like a lot of work taking care of your little & big
4-legged friends! Are you able to curl up and sleep in that cute cart if it's raining at night?
I built it with that exactly in mind, just big enough to lie down in with some space. Had to build it as light weight as possible. I wanted a way to travel where I didn't have to pack every morning and look for a roof when it rains. I can and do camp in the rain but its so much extra work and with the wagon Vannii can pull much more than she can carry so I wouldn't be worrying so much about the weight. The animals aren't much work, they mostly behave themselves and know what's expected. We all have much experience doing this together so now its easy. All thanks to how perfect Vannii is.

This....and your life in The Picos would surely make a great book to read?

Beer!!.....are you carrying beer as well?
Still.....the load does get lighter as you move along!!
Don't need to carry beer, here the bars are everywhere. Got 5 different types of cheese from the market though, salami, chorizo, boiled eggs from my chickens before I left. And a quarter leg of iberica ham, some chocolate etc etc. Me and the meat eaters of the pack never go hungry, and thankfully grass grows everywhere so vannii and nomad are easily fed.
If I had the patience to write a book plus someone to help I think I would. I'm autistic and spent my childhood in a special boarding school in Oxfordshire, I've tried writing about that before but I find it really hard figuring out how to express my feelings into words so end up getting no where.

Don't need to carry beer, here the bars are everywhere. Got 5 different types of cheese from the market though, salami, chorizo, boiled eggs from my chickens before I left. And a quarter leg of iberica ham, some chocolate etc etc. Me and the meat eaters of the pack never go hungry, and thankfully grass grows everywhere so vannii and nomad are easily fed.
If I had the patience to write a book plus someone to help I think I would. I'm autistic and spent my childhood in a special boarding school in Oxfordshire, I've tried writing about that before but I find it really hard figuring out how to express my feelings into words so end up getting no where.
Well Nomad,
So far you're not doing too badly with the writing.....and the way you describe your love for the animals
And.....it's easy and interesting reading without being long winded

And as they say...if at first you don't succeed..then try, try again
Best wishes
Annette

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Because my dogs are so big is one of the reasons I decided to get Vannii in the first place. My German shepherd Baissier doesn't like other dogs and Puppy my mastiff is very protective and doesn't like people coming too close. Although baissier always listens to me, Puppy being a mastiff will listen but is extremely strong and so is much easier to control whilst he's tied to Vannii. There is also the dog food, Puppy is now three years old and weighs just over 90kg. More than me. He carries up to 8kg of dog cookies when full which will last both dogs around 4-5 days if I share my food with them. I had baissier free and wearing her muzzle for the past two days, she's already had to chase away a couple of dogs but unable to harm them but the muzzle started rubbing her too much so I just tie her next to puppy when I see another dog now. She spends her day shepherding Nomad (the little donkey) and keep everyone together.
A hiking trailer may work. I suppose it depends on how strong the dog is and how likely he will pull it sideways. I built a cart during last summer for Vannii which I will be bringing to the new house this summer when my wife comes back. Perfect for attaching large dogs
View attachment 51034
It reminds me of Guenther's cart. I met him just after Astorga.

0754-Dieter after Murias de Rechivaldo (San Justo de la Vega-El Ganso, 14.07.14).jpg

0757-Dieter coming to Sta.Catalina de Somoza (San Justo de la Vega-El Ganso, 14.07.14).jpg

Just loving your journey and sensing the great feeling of freedom you are experiencing. I also love your attitude to it all, it makes me a bit envious as I think of all the planning I tend to do! Just go, will be my new Camino motto ' thanks!

Agree wholeheartedly!

But why are you going at this time of the year when later would be much easier? Have I missed something you said earlier?

Two more questions: When you sleep in the hammock in the rain how do you keep dry - you mentioned several times, I think, that everything was wet, but your clothes and sleeping bag.

And would it be possible - eventually, when you have finished - to have a map of the way you went in the mountains?

Thank you for detailed reports! And buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Agree wholeheartedly!

But why are you going at this time of the year when later would be much easier? Have I missed something you said earlier?

Two more questions: When you sleep in the hammock in the rain how do you keep dry - you mentioned several times, I think, that everything was wet, but your clothes and sleeping bag.

And would it be possible - eventually, when you have finished - to have a map of the way you went in the mountains?

Thank you for detailed reports! And buen camino!

Travelling in the winter makes no difference to me, its not really cold or I'm just so used to it that it no longer bothers me. But for this little travel its the lure of a real house, I've been living in an abandoned house me and my wife claimed after our travel from Andorra through the winter of 2016. I've lived there for 18 months, no hot water, generator for power etc and done a lot of work repairing it but as I work as a shepherd and the picos are too far from the house my friend from Germany offered me his holiday house near Llanes.
I have a couple of nylon sheets so with the bungee cords I fashion a waterproof shelter over the hammock. That way I stay dry and the dogs as well.
Winter here in Cantabria is not really ever cold just wet. I prefer it to be freezing cold and dry. The dogs can't sleep in the tent if they are wet but if they are dry then everyone is curled up in the tent together. Takes some fighting for space as Puppy will try and stretch to claim more space. At least that way we are all warm. But I have good clothes to, a merino wool sailors jumper, and other specific winter gear. I also have my wife's sleeping bag with me as well so with two winter sleeping bags its impossible to be cold.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am from the USA and here we would not be allowed to take over an abandoned house as it would still be someone's else's property. I am fascinated by your interesting life you have been writing about and wonder if you are living "under the radar" so to speak, have permisdion from property owner or if you must register with the Spanish government to do this. I'm just curious, not trying to be critical at all. ☺

Travelling in the winter makes no difference to me, its not really cold or I'm just so used to it that it no longer bothers me. But for this little travel its the lure of a real house, I've been living in an abandoned house me and my wife claimed after our travel from Andorra through the winter of 2016. I've lived there for 18 months, no hot water, generator for power etc and done a lot of work repairing it but as I work as a shepherd and the picos are too far from the house my friend from Germany offered me his holiday house near Llanes.
I have a couple of nylon sheets so with the bungee cords I fashion a waterproof shelter over the hammock. That way I stay dry and the dogs as well.
Winter here in Cantabria is not really ever cold just wet. I prefer it to be freezing cold and dry. The dogs can't sleep in the tent if they are wet but if they are dry then everyone is curled up in the tent together. Takes some fighting for space as Puppy will try and stretch to claim more space. At least that way we are all warm. But I have good clothes to, a merino wool sailors jumper, and other specific winter gear. I also have my wife's sleeping bag with me as well so with two winter sleeping bags its impossible to be cold.

Thank you for the explanations! Will continue to follow you on your journey! Bon courage!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am from the USA and here we would not be allowed to take over an abandoned house as it would still be someone's else's property. I am fascinated by your interesting life you have been writing about and wonder if you are living "under the radar" so to speak, have permisdion from property owner or if you must register with the Spanish government to do this. I'm just curious, not trying to be critical at all. ☺
Hmm.. I don't even care about the "radar" anymore. The Spanish only seem to use the law for money and as I don't have any I guess that's why they leave me alone. Haha. And the inheritance system here is just stupid which is why so many houses are abandoned with the "owners" long gone. My house was on communal land so the law meant nobody could buy it. The roof was still OK but I had to strip the inside and rebuild. Made some good use of some of the local eucalyptus that plague's the north. I'll tell you more about it when I have power.

So done quite well today, not much battery left so will be brief for now. I'll write more about it later. Polcia local stopped asking me for a photo. I love how the police in Spain are the complete opposite of my native English Constable's. He was completely casual, shook my hand then asked me the usual questions about my journey, took some photos then got too close for Puppy's liking and got barked at. They just laughed and said that's what mastiffs are for. I've gone past more than 50 mastiffs today barking at us. Camping on the side of a small road near parbyon, using the electric fence tonight to stop nomad sleeping on the road, little portable fence energizer that's weighs only a kilo. And I'm camped right next to them. I'll take a picture in the morning. Rain has been on and off so nothing that stops us. Picked up Camino signs in Liano and it seems to be an alternative route going to acre which was where I was going anyway so I guess I'm on the Camino now 😁 will update again when have more power. Good night

€149,-
So done quite well today, not much battery left so will be brief for now. I'll write more about it later. Polcia local stopped asking me for a photo. I love how the police in Spain are the complete opposite of my native English Constable's. He was completely casual, shook my hand then asked me the usual questions about my journey, took some photos then got too close for Puppy's liking and got barked at. They just laughed and said that's what mastiffs are for. I've gone past more than 50 mastiffs today barking at us. Camping on the side of a small road near parbyon, using the electric fence tonight to stop nomad sleeping on the road, little portable fence energizer that's weighs only a kilo. And I'm camped right next to them. I'll take a picture in the morning. Rain has been on and off so nothing that stops us. Picked up Camino signs in Liano and it seems to be an alternative route going to acre which was where I was going anyway so I guess I'm on the Camino now 😁 will update again when have more power. Good night
I'm following you with great interest although I would never undertake such a travel with (so much) animals. Too demanding, too stressful and waaay too much responsibility ;)

@Camino Chris is asking interesting questions so I'll ask something else. Did the dogs and donkeys at any moment get into "dispute"?

Stay well, Nomad!!!

View attachment 51034
Gosh I was meaning to tow the trailer myself. never thought about hitching it to a dog although my big one weighs more than me.
There's a thread somewhere on this forum about small hiking trailers

I've gone past more than 50 mastiffs today barking at us.
I wanted to ask what is the reaction of local guard dogs when they see your 2 big dogs walking past. We went to southern Spain with a yorkie and Irish terrier (medium size which is about knee high). We had to return from some walks because the shepherd dogs behind the fences of villas went mad barking, and when a little doggie slipped under the fence to say hello, the other was very protective and jealous, I wasn't sure what happens if/when that gets over the fence. Maybe nothing but it looked ready to shred us. Plus the reaction of locals with small fluffy dogs was unsettling - while they were friendly with the doll like yorkie they were literally running from our bigger dog, grabbing their dogs up in their hands. I assume they have had bad experiences with bigger dogs.

I'm following you with great interest although I would never undertake such a travel with (so much) animals. Too demanding, too stressful and waaay too much responsibility ;)

@Camino Chris is asking interesting questions so I'll ask something else. Did the dogs and donkeys at any moment get into "dispute"?

Stay well, Nomad!!!

No disputes, if there is ever a problem for Vannii like she gets pissed off with baissier shepherding her then a quick nip is enough for the dogs to understand. Even puppy respects that vannii is much bigger than him. The dogs see things differently though, to them the donkeys are lower in the ranks. For example, once unpacked the dogs will rigorously defend the bags or camp space from the donkeys. This is good otherwise if I leave Vannii 5 mins alone near the bags she will pull open the zippers looking for something tasty to steal. The dogs wouldn't attack her, they just growl and bark if she comes too close. Nomad likes to bite puppy's stubby tail when walking and puppy is very tolerant.

I wanted to ask what is the reaction of local guard dogs when they see your 2 big dogs walking past. We went to southern Spain with a yorkie and Irish terrier (medium size which is about knee high). We had to return from some walks because the shepherd dogs behind the fences of villas went mad barking, and when a little doggie slipped under the fence to say hello, the other was very protective and jealous, I wasn't sure what happens if/when that gets over the fence. Maybe nothing but it looked ready to shred us. Plus the reaction of locals with small fluffy dogs was unsettling - while they were friendly with the doll like yorkie they were literally running from our bigger dog, grabbing their dogs up in their hands. I assume they have had bad experiences with bigger dogs.

Most of the dogs we pass are either behind a fence or chained. They bark like mad and my dogs will just keep walking with me, maybe sometimes barking back a couple of times. Although we will meet free dogs at least once a day, its more of an annoyance than a problem and what I do depends on firstly what breed of dog it is and secondly if the owner is present. Vannii doesn't care about the other dogs but my dogs certainly do. So if a dog is free and causing a problem and either the owner is not there or as usual in Spain just watching then I count to 5 then release baissier. No more dog and she always comes back right away. If I ever feel another dog is causing stress for vannii I don't hesitate to release my dogs to deal with it. I keep very good control of my dogs but won't tolerate someone not controlling theirs, my animals safety is always first.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Most of the dogs we pass are either behind a fence or chained. They bark like mad and my dogs will just keep walking with me, maybe sometimes barking back a couple of times. Although we will meet free dogs at least once a day, its more of an annoyance than a problem and what I do depends on firstly what breed of dog it is and secondly if the owner is present. Vannii doesn't care about the other dogs but my dogs certainly do. So if a dog is free and causing a problem and either the owner is not there or as usual in Spain just watching then I count to 5 then release baissier. No more dog and she always comes back right away. If I ever feel another dog is causing stress for vannii I don't hesitate to release my dogs to deal with it. I keep very good control of my dogs but won't tolerate someone not controlling theirs, my animals safety is always first.
These photos are wonderful

Especially the cat hitching a ride on the donkey!!
I think these animals are gaining quiet a following on the forum ....

And certainly I look forward to all the posts re your journey........ and the photos
Keep going
Annette

I cant believe the cat does that. Maybe he's learnt its better than walking. I'm pretty sure I couldnt put mine on a donkey.
I grew up on a farm and spend most of my life in a rural situation before moving to Auckland, a city. So most of my dogs have been farm smart, they could get out of anywhere, rode on all the farm vehicles, hunted for possums etc.
My current dogs are city dogs, and so different, they dont challenge fences or gates, dont seem to know what a possum is, and refuse to ride on the tractor or the quad bikes. Even if I'm driving. I guess its what they're used to.
I'm not sure how mine would react to a dog challenging them. They're shepherds, but they've never encountered real aggression. And the only loose dogs we meet are on the beach and pretty well behaved.
I'm sure they would love such a trek though, they love camping - although they expect to be IN the tent, wet and dirty or not.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed at the muni in Santillana in 2016, so I remember this semi enclosed area where you check in. A good place for your brood, especially if wet!

Yeah its pretty cool, had my first hot shower in I can't actually remember how long, was such an amazing feeling. Dogs are tied up behind the table so puppy doesn't eat anyone. Someone had to ask special permission for the animals and I told them either the albergue or you can watch me set my camp under the church roof! My animals have done more kilometers than most other pilgrims and deserve shelter to. Heavy rain again tomorrow and they say I can only stay one night....

And certainly I look forward to all the posts re your journey........ and the photos
Keep going
Annette
Annette I totally agree. This for me, has been a real "breathe of fresh air" posting.

OK so I'll try and start where I left off. We had spent our night in the building by the bar. We carried on the next day and started along a small road going round the natural park next to solares. Right away we came past this animal farm with pony's and goats and peacocks, plus loads of mastiffs in habitats like wolves at the zoo. The man wanted to add puppy to his collection but puppy didn't agree. Vannii then started eawing at the peacocks and nomad then joined in with his ever maturing noise. It was all over in a minute but I think the family just arriving thought I was part of the attractions. We got to liano quicker than expected for 10km. The church there was no good with those horrible black metal gaits denying me the roof so we carried on towards the lake near parbyon and set up the camp at the side of the road. By now we were following Camino signs of an alternative route that goes through arce and oruna that I didn't know existed. I suppose my intuition was right as this was the path I had planned on taking anyway. It had rained again that night camping on the side of the road but my good equipment held out. I use a canvas dutch military tent which really warms up when closed and keeps out buckets of water. But also have a military nylon basha, basically a big waterproof sheet and this goes over the tent and extends
Across to protect the dogs and gear from the rain. The dogs had some eucalyptus for some cover but the rain doest bother them as much when there is food. We walked that day praying for the rain not to come but knowing the night would be bad so a church roof was the only option for everyone. We found this at rumoroso and after trying all 3 casa rurals to be turned down or no answer we went to the church. Either everyone knew I was there and didn't care as the church was at the top and centre of the village or they just hadn't looked out their windows to see the circus coming. We had little battery so saved it for weather checks and knew the next day would be bad. Well it was and then it was even worse the second night. Vannii and nomad slept next to me both nights under the roof and typically of vannii she went out into the rain to toilet. I woke up at 3am with the bell tower chiming and nomad was curled up with arms reach of me. Thankfully he didn't decide to sit on me. This morning we knew would be OK until the afternoon but even so we got completely soaked before reaching santilina. Its my fault really, I'm not bothering to cook on this short trip as with the animal care and rain care its too much hassel so I got loads of cheese and chorizo instead. So when I see a bar with a good parking spot for the animals, ie long grass and somewhere to tie the dogs. I can't help but to stop for a quick coffee, charge the torch and wash my hands which naturally with all these muddy animals means I'm also muddy. I think if I'd not stopped for that half hour we would have reached the roof in time. Everyone at the bar was amazed and spent a good time talking about it without realising I understood everything they were saying. Other Camino walkers will normally complain about all the tarmac on the el norte but if you lived a winter in cantabria you would realise that other tracks would not survive the pilgrimage passage for long. I'm thankful for the tarmac, everyone stays cleaner and vannii walks faster. If I was going the whole way I would have shoed her but for this its not needed. Now we are sat in the porch at the alberge municipal in santilina, only one other pilgrim who didn't realise the donkeys were mine as well and was very confused by it all. I offered him cheese and chorizo but he declined preceding to sit on his bed cooking pasta. Shame for him really, I got 5 different types of cheese, 3 chroizos, 2 saucichons, bread, olive oil, tuna, peanuts, peppers and more. At least I offered. Tomorrow may be even more bad weather so if they still refuse to let me stay here for another day then I'll find another roof somewhere and wait the worst out. Its not like I've got to rush, the new house will still be there and I reckon on only a week more if I stick to the 10-15km a day. I'll update you again tomorrow.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Keep going
Annette
Thank you, its nice to know other people are thinking of me during the wet nights. I'll certainly write up the whole trip and post it once I get to the house. The only reason I'm taking the photos is for everyone here to see a different way. Im having to use the tablet camera as the go pro has no memory and I forgot to get a new card. Plus transferring etc just to post uses so much battery. But I promise loads of photos and videos of us all in the Pico's this spring

I cant believe the cat does that. Maybe he's learnt its better than walking. I'm pretty sure I couldnt put mine on a donkey.
I grew up on a farm and spend most of my life in a rural situation before moving to Auckland, a city. So most of my dogs have been farm smart, they could get out of anywhere, rode on all the farm vehicles, hunted for possums etc.
My current dogs are city dogs, and so different, they dont challenge fences or gates, dont seem to know what a possum is, and refuse to ride on the tractor or the quad bikes. Even if I'm driving. I guess its what they're used to.
I'm not sure how mine would react to a dog challenging them. They're shepherds, but they've never encountered real aggression. And the only loose dogs we meet are on the beach and pretty well behaved.
I'm sure they would love such a trek though, they love camping - although they expect to be IN the tent, wet and dirty or not.

So buddhas short history for his fans. Me and my partner were in saint Giron's France in the Pyrenees at the Saturday market. Its a very hippy area and the market is great. I saw Buddha before my partner and knew if she laid eyes on him that would be decision made. A hippy woman with her daughter had him in a small basket on his own. He was around seven weeks and the only one they were giving away. I took the initiative and pointed my partners direction to some stones and wondered off. I came back and presented my partner with little furry Buddha. She's had cats before but they all got run over or lost so I knew this would make her happy. Buddha grew up travelling, we had him before puppy and vannii so he used to walk with us trailing behind at his own pace with baissier watching him but when he realised that vannii could carry things and that he could sleep instead of walk there was no turning back. He wouldn't sit on vannii without the baggage though, he uses the bags to lie half on and half on vanniis back. Otherwise he would fall off. If its not raining he loves to watch everything jumping up onto the middle bag to get a high 360 view. If its windy or raining then he hides undercover and stays warm and dry. He needs cover just to stay warm if its windy because he's not moving so gets cold quicker. But has thick fur to add. He fathered some kittens with a local village cat in the spring so when we saw a pure black kitten and a black and white we knew they were his as no other black cats are in the village. My partner had to have these so it was my job to catch them. The black one I just called little buddha because hes identical and I hate thinking of names. He was easy to catch and didn't even run like the rest. The black and white named loui took some time, putting my hand in all sorts of holes trying to get him, eventually I cornered the whole litter in a garage and they were all hiding behind some wood. They all ran in every direction but I grabbed the right one and he sunk his teeth into my hand and refused to let go for about ten minutes until I offered him some bacon. They are with my partner whilst she does her mountain guide course so they are still cat pilgrim trainee's but I've already taken advantage of the kitten behavior to teach them to follow and to stay and hide. Buddha is gonna sleep with me tonight, hope the pilgrim doesn't mind although he's already sleeping so I turned off the lights for him, Buddha would be cold out here without my warmth and if I let him free he will spend the night wet and wondering the cobbled streets for females.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Its 7am, I've already been up for two hours moving like a mouse to not disturb the other pilgrim. I guess he is tired as was asleep from 8pm and still in bed now. I've had another hot shower just for the pleasure of feeling the hot water which will probably be my last until I finish. Its strange to have the home comforts. It was way too hot for me inside even though the heating was barely on. And t get out of bed and still be warm. I intend no offence to anyone but I begin to understand that this kind of pilgrimage most people do walking from albergue to albergue, having a hot shower and warm room every night makes it so easy. A real pilgrimage to me is about enduring the challenges set by nature and experiencing hardships. It should be tough as this way you really become to know yourself when pushing your limits. Two middle aged Spanish women turned up yesterday and were complaining how wet there feet were. I tried explaining that wrapping your feet in plastic only makes it worse and that wet feet are simply a reality when walking in the rain. Even my super waterproof country boots got et yesterday because I didn't put on the waterproof trousers so the rain went down the tops of the boots. They left after half an hour complaining that the heating wasn't hot enough. Don't really know what to think about it. I understand not all pilgrims are able to camp and carry the weight necessary so I have no bad feelings towards anyone but even the most unable pilgrim should at least try this experience once at some point along the way. Imagine what the medieval pilgrim would think at how things are now! When I get to my new house I'm gonna put a sign up along the way and invite pilgrims to camp in the garden with all my military equipment and get a real idea of what the full pilgrimage experience is about.
The walking is only half of it, without the modern comforts the Camino now offers the other half is about survival.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Have you any Irish in your blood? I ask because you write a story like a conversation.
laineylainey
So true
You've just hit the nail on the head!
And this is why Nomads posts are so interesting and easy to read

The Irish are great storytellers and this is the style of writing of many Irish authors
But then again, being Irish, I would think that wouldn't l !!!!
Best wishes
Annette

So I've been having a small dilemma recently as to which direction to go. I've been waiting for my donkey foul to grow up somewhat before embarking on another long distance trek. He is now eight months old and turning out to have an excellent character like his mother. My plan was to take the Ruta de la Lana and head south to join my wife who has just started a mountain guide course but now the universe has conspired to keep me in the north by offering me another summer season of chasing cows around the Pico's. Its a shame for me as I was really looking forward to going somewhere new. But I now have a new house to live in just off the Camino Norte and right next to the Pico's so Monday or Tuesday I will be setting off on my shortest Camino ever. Roughly 150 kilometers. About 70 kilometers of making my own way through the mountains from Ramalas de la Victoria and the rest along the Camino del Norte where I plan to connect onto it just after Santander. This will be the third trek for our foal, I've taken him on several excursions already for him to gain some experience but this will be new for him as he will have his first new home at the end. Vannii the donkey, the dogs and Buddha the cat have already travelled most of France and half of Spain with me so everybody knows their role but now with an added donkey and my wife absent I'm sure that it will be interesting. I'll try to keep this updated as make my way, there's no chance of the solar charger doing much so depends what bars I find along the way to recharge the batteries. And get drunk of course, it makes the winter camping experience much more enjoyable.
sounds like a Menagerie Camino.

Santillina is experiencing a biblical flood right now. The cobbled streets are more suited for rafting and if the rain keeps up like it is at the moment then the town is gonna become a harbour. I went and saw the big boss man of the town and got permission to stay another night. I got vannii and nomad a big bag of apples to keep them happy and made a fort for the dogs with the tables.IMG_20190124_123752.jpg In the bar at the plaza central right now enjoying a beer. Wondering if any pilgrims will swim into town.

laineylainey
So true
You've just hit the nail on the head!
And this is why Nomads posts are so interesting and easy to read

The Irish are great storytellers and this is the style of writing of many Irish authors
But then again, being Irish, I would think that wouldn't l !!!!
Best wishes
Annette
I lived in Ireland for 6 months when I was 18 near Kilkenny. My partner lived in Sligo for years when she was younger. If I could get the animals there I would spend years travelling one of the best lands in our world. Irish hospitality is equal to none

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Santillina is experiencing a biblical flood right now. The cobbled streets are more suited for rafting and if the rain keeps up like it is at the moment then the town is gonna become a harbour. I went and saw the big boss man of the town and got permission to stay another night. I got vannii and nomad a big bag of apples to keep them happy and made a fort for the dogs with the tables.View attachment 51271 In the bar at the plaza central right now enjoying a beer. Wondering if any pilgrims will swim into town.
This flooding is so sad as Santillana is such a beautiful town.

Hi Nomad, I have read your posts with great interest.
At first, I readily admit, I was quite concerned about your animals. I have seen a number of animals along my caminos who had bleeding paws, or who were limping or stressed. Normally, many of us discourage bringing animals with them on caminos.

However, your camino is leading you to a new and better home, hopefully! You also appear to have been very thoughtful about caring for your brood😀. And, too, your animals are used to “ruffing the elements” ...which makes it easier for them to deal with such inclement conditions. My dog would never make it...though we walk him 5 miles daily.

Thank you so much for posting your journey! May you find a warm spot at the end of your camino and joy with your wife and brood! Blessings!

Just arrived from a quick journey, I found this thread. Amazing!
When you say "Picos", wich area are you talking about?
As a native of Cantabria (living far away) , I'm in touch with family and friends, and I know how worrying the floods are in some places. In fact, you're "just there"! So, take good care!

I'll seat down here waiting for your news

K.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Nomad, I have read your posts with great interest.
At first, I readily admit, I was quite concerned about your animals. I have seen a number of animals along my caminos who had bleeding paws, or who were limping or stressed. Normally, many of us discourage bringing animals with them on caminos.

However, your camino is leading you to a new and better home, hopefully! You also appear to have been very thoughtful about caring for your brood😀. And, too, your animals are used to “ruffing the elements” ...which makes it easier for them to deal with such inclement conditions. My dog would never make it...though we walk him 5 miles daily.

Thank you so much for posting your journey! May you find a warm spot at the end of your camino and joy with your wife and brood! Blessings!

I understand what you mean, I discourage anybody else from doing what I do because firstly its a big responsibility and secondly this isn't something your average pet dog will cope with. Baissier has travelled everywhere with me and we spent two years together working in Egypt during 2013 revolution. I trained her in chemical detection and at the time when she was two I managed to secure a job with a security company in Cairo hiring western dog trainers. Puppy on the other hand is directly from working mastiff stock in Asturias, he even has the rare stubby tail which is from ancient lines as many mastiffs nowadays have long tails. His father lives in the fields with the cows and has killed two wolves. Puppy spent his first 8 weeks living with the cows in the shed as this is the method for bonding dog to cow. Buddha is the one I get more concerned about and take the most time looking after, fortunately being small he is easy to keep dry, warm and fed. Buddha is also an intact male as they call it and even when he could be at home in the rain he will still go out to do his rounds.

Just arrived from a quick journey, I found this thread. Amazing!
When you say "Picos", wich area are you talking about?
As a native of Cantabria (living far away) , I'm in touch with family and friends, and I know how worrying the floods are in some places. In fact, you're "just there"! So, take good care!

I'll seat down here waiting for your news

K.
Los Picos de Europa,
Yeah the rain here last year was epic. My house is/was 50metros next to the Rio Ebro, was amazing how quickly it can rise overnight, was never worried about flooding, the terrain would make it flood the other side into the cow field. Rains easing off now but I know it will be back. The winter rain has come much later this year that usual.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing your pilgrimage with us - and the wonderful photos of your family 😍
I'm happy to everyone is enjoying this, 3 more pilgrims have turned up this evening who certainly are not happy and very wet. I let the first two in before opening time as I was left with the key, a middle aged couple from Madrid, and the first thing the lady started doing was complaining to me about the lack of good heating and that she wanted to dry her boots. I again was a little shocked that she didn't foresee the fact that its winter and raining. I just told her that this is the Camino in sunny Cantabria, what did you expect?!
I though am very happy, I've been bursting out randomly with laughter the whole way even when the rain was hitting us hard. I've been stressed as well, its always ups and downs buts the ups are big. For example, when the rain comes hard with the strong wind you would think Vannii would be eager to find cover, instead she decides that walking slower is the right course of action and when the church roof is within site it can be infuriating for me that she won't speed up. There's nothing to do, I won't and can't make her go any faster as the rule is always that she sets the pace, she carries most of our equipment after all.
Got to leave tomorrow, everyone gets restless having to sit out the rain, only puppy is happy for the stop as he loves to sleep all day if he can. I'll be happy to get out of the albergue, I didn't realise it would smell so bad, I'm used to fresh air. I'll sneak into the other room as they will all be asleep long before me, no disrespect to the other pilgrims but I need the window open, I'm not used to being in such close contact with anyone other than my wife.
I'm also now semi famous in town, as usual everyone knows I'm here, I received a half price discount on an umbrella because the man liked what I was doing and I also got a free beer. Everyone will know I'm coming now as the other pilgrims will no doubt mention me and I don't plan on going all the way to comillas if I find a good roof along the way.
So don't worry there's still plenty more to come.

I lived in Ireland for 6 months when I was 18 near Kilkenny. My partner lived in Sligo for years when she was younger. If I could get the animals there I would spend years travelling one of the best lands in our world. Irish hospitality is equal to none
Thanks for the compliment about Ireland. I live in Fermanagh on the border with Eire and I love being Irish, most days. However one of the reasons I believe the rest of the world experience the Irish as friendly is due to our downright "nosiness" about other people!

€149,-
We're all going for a walk in the park soon and "geocaching" there. I've never done it, but I liked scavenger hunts as a kid. If you never hear from me again it will be because I've been bitten by a poisonous snake while looking for the little "treasure".😂
Just take a sharp knife and be prepared to cut your arm off like James Franco in that movie

Thanks for the compliment about Ireland. I live in Fermanagh on the border with Eire and I love being Irish, most days. However one of the reasons I believe the rest of the world experience the Irish as friendly is due to our downright "nosiness" about other people!
There was a guy that travelled around Ireland with his donkey and cart back in the 70's whose reason was he just wanted to get to know his country better. Its the love the Irish have for their land which draws me. No doubt when I can afford to transport the animals across the water which involves hiring a big truck my wife will never let us leave.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
laineylainey,
Again...you're spot on
We're the nosiness people in the world
My daughters go mad at me.....
Questions, questions ...stop asking people so many questions

However I do think also that's it's because we are actually interested in other people and where they come from etc etc
Then again....it might be just plain nosiness!!!

We went for a long walk today and every time I thought about this thread ...the storytelling and the animals, my face just lit up with a big smile ....

I've actually forwarded it to some family and friends ....
It's just too good to keep to ourselves!!!

Sorry, I didn't wrote clear enough. I meant wich area of Picos de Europa are you heading to.
K.
Ah ok, so the house im going to is in a small village called soberron near llanes. I don't know yet which area I will be working in though, depends on who owns the cows and where other shepherds will be as they try to keep the herds apart.

laineylainey,
Again...you're spot on

However I do think also that's it's because we are actually interested in other people and where they come from etc etc

We went for a long walk today and every time I thought about this thread ...the storytelling and the animals, my face just lit up with a big smile ....

Annette your posts are inspiring me more and more to seriously try writing a book. I'm so glad my journey is creating happiness for others, its motivating me a lot through all this rain and makes the hardships worth it. Thank you

I've been sharing your story with friends at work, whether they want me to or not. They are all impressed with all the animals and the trip but especially the cat, and how pretty he is, what lovely eyes, and so uncatlike in behavior

Nomad Pack, I'm enjoying reading your posts, only found them today. You do write well, you make it so interesting. You & your animals are amazing! I wish you well in your endeavours.
I'm unable to see most of your photos, just a question mark for most of them. Maybe because I just have an iPad mini. But the few I've seen are great.
Thank you for your posts.

laineylainey,
Again...you're spot on

Annette, thanks for confirming my belief about us Irish ( i was a little concerned after posting it, that I might upset some of my fellow citizens!) and I agree I do believe it is because we are genuinely interested in other people (I find a lot of areas in Spain exactly the same!) Yes like you , Nomad's post is brightening my week and I have pointed it it out to others!

Annette your posts are inspiring me more and more to seriously try writing a book. I'm so glad my journey is creating happiness for others, its motivating me a lot through all this rain and makes the hardships worth it. Thank you
That would be great Nomad Pack,
And the posts from others are saying the same thing
It's said that there's a book in everyone!!

Indeed your posts have reminded me of a book I read last year.....

By a young Irish lad ....although suffering from Ulcerative Coelitis and rarely mentioned in the book , he cycled from Alaska to Argentina..19,000 miles for charity..his kind of pilgrimage I suppose, and a journey of self discovery and his Camino.......
And saddle sore as opposed to foot sore!!!

I felt as though I was with him on that journey and didn't want to finish the book even
And the writing was so easy on the eye and mind ....a bit like yours.

And in case anyone is interested.....it's called..

Half The World Away by Ian Lacey

With best wishes....and more photos of the cat please!!
Annette

Yes, NP has a simple, direct writing style and paints a wonderful picture of his travels with his charming group of animals! I'm enjoying keeping up on his latest posts as it's a "one of a kind" and unique adventure compared to those of us who walk alone or with other humans! Lol!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.