A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Two more albergues for the Invierno

Camino T-shirt

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
According to a Facebook feed I have from one of the Invierno associations, the Xunta is going to provide two more Albergues for 2021. The Facebook page was running a poll of 10 possible places of where readers would like them, I'm not sure if the results will go towards influencing the Xunta's thinking,

Last edited:

gollygolly

Camino(s) past & future
2000, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
According to a Facebook feed I have from one of the Invierno associations, the Xunta is going to provide two more Albergues for 2021. The Facebook page was running a poll of 10 possible places of where readers would like them, I'm not sure if the results will go towards influencing the Xunta's thinking,
Would you be able to update with the location for the planned Albergues ??

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Hi Gollypolly, the Invierno group will probably update on their social media feeds when they know more, If I see anything on there or from any other source I will post it on here, if it hasn't already been done by another member.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I see in the Voz de Galicia that the two locations have been announced. O Saviñao (that would be right near Torre Vilariño, I think) and Rodeiro. Rodeiro????!!!! If you are going to open a municipal albergue, wouldn’t it make more sense to do it in a place that has no other albergue? The Carpintero private albergue in Rodeiro is phenomenal. It just makes no sense to me.

Maybe the Facebook group will be able to exert some influence to change the decision. Monforte, Chantada, Pobra, O Barco — all of those places could use a Xunta albergue.

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Looking at the news report they are also building 6 more Albergues on other routes. One at Sobrado on the Norte, considering there is already 150 beds offered there at 2 long-standing locations and numerous other Albergues in either direction within 10 km of it you have to think, why there? Ribadeo as an access point could do better than just the 10 beds they have at the moment, the old route which joins at Lourenza needs an albergue and even the connecting route from Lugo to Sobrado needs one.

Last edited:

Aurigny

Camino(s) past & future
Francés; Português Central; Português Interior; Primitivo; Português da Costa; Invierno
For my money, As Médulas would be top of the list of priorities. It's the logical stopping place for the first day on the trail. Finding that one has to stump up EUR 45 for a single room in the hotel that at the moment is the only real option in that town takes a good deal of the wind out of one's sails.

peregrina2000

Staff member
For my money, As Médulas would be top of the list of priorities. It's the logical stopping place for the first day on the trail. Finding that one has to stump up EUR 45 for a single room in the hotel that at the moment is the only real option in that town takes a good deal of the wind out of one's sails.
I thought the private albergue there was ready to open. I have sent a WhatsApp to Adela, one of the people involved in the albergue in As Médulas. I’ll report back.

And on a related matter, I just got a note from @Ribeirasacra with a link to the article that specifies the location of the albergue in Savinao — the bishop’s palace at Diomondi!

That decision leaves me kind of dumbstruck. So, let’s put an albergue in an ancient, historic building, kms away from any place to buy food or drink.

Another decision that makes no sense to me, but maybe I am missing something. I think the Diomondi albergue will be as popular as the one in Villavieja.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
@Ribeirasacra with a link to the article that specifies the location of the albergue in Savinao — the bishop’s palace at Diomondi!
Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Woooowwwwwwww.
I didn't read the article, but might it possibly be one of the other buildings nearby instead? One was for sale, right? This would actually be a magical place to stay, on par with San Anton and San Nicholas on the Frances.

peregrina2000

Staff member
The article says specifically “el antiguo palacio episcopal”. I agree that it would be a magical place, but the magic will wear off once the tummy starts growling. In both San Anton and San Nicholas, meals are served, right? The Xunta doesn’t do meals. My own opinion is that they would have been much better off putting one in Chantada, Pobra, Barco, or Monforte. But no one asked me.

On to better news — just heard back from Adela that the albergue in As Médulas “está a punto de abrir.” Any day now, it seems!

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
It seems very obvious that the decision makers in the Xunta never walk these routes. Or if they do, they have vehicle backup.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
In both San Anton and San Nicholas, meals are served, right? The Xunta doesn’t do meals.
Yes.
And...oh, yeah. Of course. And a kitchen but no pots.
I conveniently forgot that, always having successfully avoided Xunta albergues. Now I see what you mean. They were likely zoning in on the 100 km mark business, not imagining people will actually have to eat if they're walking.:rolleyes:

Sam - AU

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - Apr/May 2018, Feb/Mar 2019 .... upcoming Nov/Dec 2019
Hi Isca,
Any chance you could put the link to the Invierno FB group, would be interested in checking it out.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
I thought the private albergue there was ready to open. I have sent a WhatsApp to Adela, one of the people involved in the albergue in As Médulas. I’ll report back.

And on a related matter, I just got a note from @Ribeirasacra with a link to the article that specifies the location of the albergue in Savinao — the bishop’s palace at Diomondi!

That decision leaves me kind of dumbstruck. So, let’s put an albergue in an ancient, historic building, kms away from any place to buy food or drink.

Another decision that makes no sense to me, but maybe I am missing something. I think the Diomondi albergue will be as popular as the one in Villavieja.
That's interesting because when I read the initial article I first though about old school in O Savinao that has already been mentioned as possible location of new albergue. In another thread some months or a year ago I think.
But location in Diomondi is excellent. If you bring your own food. Or maybe find opened bodega and go for some wine tasting with snacks ;)

I completely agree about better places for new albergues though. Monforte and Chantada comes to mind first. A Pobra obviously has some beds for pilgrims now and there is albergue Xagoaza near O Barco.

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
Yes.
And...oh, yeah. Of course. And a kitchen but no pots.
I conveniently forgot that, always having successfully avoided Xunta albergues. Now I see what you mean. They were likely zoning in on the 100 km mark business, not imagining people will actually have to eat if they're walking.:rolleyes:
When I walked the Primitivo (6 years ago so maybe it's different now!), on arrival at the albergues in San Roman and As Seixas, the hospitalero took orders from people for dinner which was delivered from a nearby restaurant. Actually it was the same restaurant for both places. Maybe a side business for the folks at Torre Vilariño?:) Though I think their restaurant is very busy in the summer and it probably wouldn't be practical or lucrative depending on the numbers of pilgrims each night. I would love to stay at Diomondi!

Last edited:

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Hi Isca,
Any chance you could put the link to the Invierno FB group,
Hi I have had a go at doing it but for some reason which I'm not sure why it keeps giving the link to my personal details when I preview it on here. I have tried logging out of Facebook then copying the link but when I check it again my details come up again.

The group has about 10700 members and it is a closed group but if you put a request to join in they are quite good and accept you quite quickly.There is 2 or 3 groups but just put Camino De Invierno in the Facebook search engine and it should come up.[/QUOTE]

Sam - AU

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - Apr/May 2018, Feb/Mar 2019 .... upcoming Nov/Dec 2019
Hi I have had a go at doing it but for some reason which I'm not sure why it keeps giving the link to my personal details when I preview it on here. I have tried logging out of Facebook then copying the link but when I check it again my details come up again.
[/QUOTE]

Haha! Technology has a way sometimes.
Thanks for the descriptors, I have found it and requested to join.
Thanks Pilgrim!

peregrina2000

Staff member
Adela just sent me a bunch of pictures of the albergue in As Médulas. Looks great! I can’t figure out why it isn’t open! But I bet it has to do with bureaucracy.

Attachments

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 168 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 270 24.2%