Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two more albergues for the Invierno

Isca-camigo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Various ones.
According to a Facebook feed I have from one of the Invierno associations, the Xunta is going to provide two more Albergues for 2021. The Facebook page was running a poll of 10 possible places of where readers would like them, I'm not sure if the results will go towards influencing the Xunta's thinking,

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
According to a Facebook feed I have from one of the Invierno associations, the Xunta is going to provide two more Albergues for 2021. The Facebook page was running a poll of 10 possible places of where readers would like them, I'm not sure if the results will go towards influencing the Xunta's thinking,

Would you be able to update with the location for the planned Albergues ??

Hi Gollypolly, the Invierno group will probably update on their social media feeds when they know more, If I see anything on there or from any other source I will post it on here, if it hasn't already been done by another member.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I see in the Voz de Galicia that the two locations have been announced. O Saviñao (that would be right near Torre Vilariño, I think) and Rodeiro. Rodeiro????!!!! If you are going to open a municipal albergue, wouldn’t it make more sense to do it in a place that has no other albergue? The Carpintero private albergue in Rodeiro is phenomenal. It just makes no sense to me.

Maybe the Facebook group will be able to exert some influence to change the decision. Monforte, Chantada, Pobra, O Barco — all of those places could use a Xunta albergue.

Looking at the news report they are also building 6 more Albergues on other routes. One at Sobrado on the Norte, considering there is already 150 beds offered there at 2 long-standing locations and numerous other Albergues in either direction within 10 km of it you have to think, why there? Ribadeo as an access point could do better than just the 10 beds they have at the moment, the old route which joins at Lourenza needs an albergue and even the connecting route from Lugo to Sobrado needs one.

Last edited:
For my money, As MĂ©dulas would be top of the list of priorities. It's the logical stopping place for the first day on the trail. Finding that one has to stump up EUR 45 for a single room in the hotel that at the moment is the only real option in that town takes a good deal of the wind out of one's sails.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For my money, As MĂ©dulas would be top of the list of priorities. It's the logical stopping place for the first day on the trail. Finding that one has to stump up EUR 45 for a single room in the hotel that at the moment is the only real option in that town takes a good deal of the wind out of one's sails.

I thought the private albergue there was ready to open. I have sent a WhatsApp to Adela, one of the people involved in the albergue in As Médulas. I’ll report back.

And on a related matter, I just got a note from @Ribeirasacra with a link to the article that specifies the location of the albergue in Savinao — the bishop’s palace at Diomondi!

That decision leaves me kind of dumbstruck. So, let’s put an albergue in an ancient, historic building, kms away from any place to buy food or drink.

Another decision that makes no sense to me, but maybe I am missing something. I think the Diomondi albergue will be as popular as the one in Villavieja.

@Ribeirasacra with a link to the article that specifies the location of the albergue in Savinao — the bishop’s palace at Diomondi!
Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Woooowwwwwwww.
I didn't read the article, but might it possibly be one of the other buildings nearby instead? One was for sale, right? This would actually be a magical place to stay, on par with San Anton and San Nicholas on the Frances.

The article says specifically “el antiguo palacio episcopal”. I agree that it would be a magical place, but the magic will wear off once the tummy starts growling. In both San Anton and San Nicholas, meals are served, right? The Xunta doesn’t do meals. My own opinion is that they would have been much better off putting one in Chantada, Pobra, Barco, or Monforte. But no one asked me.

On to better news — just heard back from Adela that the albergue in As Médulas “está a punto de abrir.” Any day now, it seems!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In both San Anton and San Nicholas, meals are served, right? The Xunta doesn’t do meals.
Yes.
And...oh, yeah. Of course. And a kitchen but no pots.
I conveniently forgot that, always having successfully avoided Xunta albergues. Now I see what you mean. They were likely zoning in on the 100 km mark business, not imagining people will actually have to eat if they're walking.:rolleyes:

Hi Isca,
Any chance you could put the link to the Invierno FB group, would be interested in checking it out.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I thought the private albergue there was ready to open. I have sent a WhatsApp to Adela, one of the people involved in the albergue in As Médulas. I’ll report back.

And on a related matter, I just got a note from @Ribeirasacra with a link to the article that specifies the location of the albergue in Savinao — the bishop’s palace at Diomondi!

That decision leaves me kind of dumbstruck. So, let’s put an albergue in an ancient, historic building, kms away from any place to buy food or drink.

Another decision that makes no sense to me, but maybe I am missing something. I think the Diomondi albergue will be as popular as the one in Villavieja.
That's interesting because when I read the initial article I first though about old school in O Savinao that has already been mentioned as possible location of new albergue. In another thread some months or a year ago I think.
But location in Diomondi is excellent. If you bring your own food. Or maybe find opened bodega and go for some wine tasting with snacks ;)

I completely agree about better places for new albergues though. Monforte and Chantada comes to mind first. A Pobra obviously has some beds for pilgrims now and there is albergue Xagoaza near O Barco.

Yes.
And...oh, yeah. Of course. And a kitchen but no pots.
I conveniently forgot that, always having successfully avoided Xunta albergues. Now I see what you mean. They were likely zoning in on the 100 km mark business, not imagining people will actually have to eat if they're walking.:rolleyes:
When I walked the Primitivo (6 years ago so maybe it's different now!), on arrival at the albergues in San Roman and As Seixas, the hospitalero took orders from people for dinner which was delivered from a nearby restaurant. Actually it was the same restaurant for both places. Maybe a side business for the folks at Torre Vilariño?:) Though I think their restaurant is very busy in the summer and it probably wouldn't be practical or lucrative depending on the numbers of pilgrims each night. I would love to stay at Diomondi!

Last edited:
Hi Isca,
Any chance you could put the link to the Invierno FB group,

Hi I have had a go at doing it but for some reason which I'm not sure why it keeps giving the link to my personal details when I preview it on here. I have tried logging out of Facebook then copying the link but when I check it again my details come up again.

The group has about 10700 members and it is a closed group but if you put a request to join in they are quite good and accept you quite quickly.There is 2 or 3 groups but just put Camino De Invierno in the Facebook search engine and it should come up.[/QUOTE]

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi I have had a go at doing it but for some reason which I'm not sure why it keeps giving the link to my personal details when I preview it on here. I have tried logging out of Facebook then copying the link but when I check it again my details come up again.
[/QUOTE]

Haha! Technology has a way sometimes.
Thanks for the descriptors, I have found it and requested to join.
Thanks Pilgrim!

Adela just sent me a bunch of pictures of the albergue in As Médulas. Looks great! I can’t figure out why it isn’t open! But I bet it has to do with bureaucracy.

Attachments

• A45C51B9-4BB2-43B9-9FCF-2F18F02856B5.jpeg
    A45C51B9-4BB2-43B9-9FCF-2F18F02856B5.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 297DBC55-BEEA-49A1-8E36-61A8CD6DEBE4.jpeg
    297DBC55-BEEA-49A1-8E36-61A8CD6DEBE4.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 914C4E35-2E5E-48BE-BCE6-F33FC5D01792.jpeg
    914C4E35-2E5E-48BE-BCE6-F33FC5D01792.jpeg
    393.7 KB · Views: 23
  • B9179AB3-F676-4218-B2DB-2D647C5FDD9D.jpeg
    B9179AB3-F676-4218-B2DB-2D647C5FDD9D.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 23
  • C2D67A01-BBE1-49CE-86E3-C7F4474DA4EB.jpeg
    C2D67A01-BBE1-49CE-86E3-C7F4474DA4EB.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 4EDEA70C-628F-4EDF-89D6-A65222EBE213.jpeg
    4EDEA70C-628F-4EDF-89D6-A65222EBE213.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 21
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'll be on the Invierno in about a week: currently resting up in Leon from the rigours of the Madrid and hiding out from the relentless communal focus of the Francés. It doesn't look like the albergue situation is going to be clarified on the Invierno in time to simplify my housing needs. I guess, like generations of previous pilgrims, I'll just take what I can find and be grateful for a roof over my head. The authorities do not seem to be doing much to help the situation.

I'll be on the Invierno in about a week: currently resting up in Leon from the rigours of the Madrid and hiding out from the relentless communal focus of the Francés. It doesn't look like the albergue situation is going to be clarified on the Invierno in time to simplify my housing needs. I guess, like generations of previous pilgrims, I'll just take what I can find and be grateful for a roof over my head. The authorities do not seem to be doing much to help the situation.
Hi, Albertagirl,
Wishing you a wonderful Invierno, can’t wait to hear how it goes. Albergues just don’t seem to be popping up on the Invierno, though I did hear from @Ribeirasacra that a private albergue is soon to open in Monforte, though not in time for you!

But here is something that has opened — just heard this from a recent invierno pilgrim:

After Chantada near Penasillas. New hotel opened three weeks ago. Owner added a pilgrim floor with male and female dorms plus access to all hotel facilities. Beds not bunks. All bedding and towels supplied for €16. Pilgrim menu €10. Hotel Vilaseco. Tel 982587160 or 680881155. Info@hotelvilaseco.es

Not sure how this fits with your walking plan, but it sounds nice!

Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Albertagirl,
Wishing you a wonderful Invierno, can’t wait to hear how it goes. Albergues just don’t seem to be popping up on the Invierno, though I did hear from @Ribeirasacra that a private albergue is soon to open in Monforte, though not in time for you!

But here is something that has opened — just heard this from a recent invierno pilgrim:

After Chantada near Penasillas. New hotel opened three weeks ago. Owner added a pilgrim floor with male and female dorms plus access to all hotel facilities. Beds not bunks. All bedding and towels supplied for €16. Pilgrim menu €10. Hotel Vilaseco. Tel 982587160 or 680881155. Info@hotelvilaseco.es

Not sure how this fits with your walking plan, but it sounds nice!

Buen camino, Laurie
Sounds great, but maybe a little close to Hostal Carpinteiras to provide the option of another pilgrim albergue. I have added Hotel Vilaseco to my contacts. Thanks for telling me about it.
Mary Louise

It seems very obvious that the decision makers in the Xunta never walk these routes. Or if they do, they have vehicle backup.
I think you are right. I also think that there are ulterior motives that influence where the money goes. In a benign case, the ulterior motive may be a desire to restore an historic building or save a cultural asset. In the less benign cases, it may be a corrupt attempt to funnel money into an associate's construction company. In some places, there are savvy operators who work the system to the benefit of local communities and pilgrims ... and in others money gets thrown at things that leave us dumbfounded.

The Xunta is moving forward with plans to convert the Bishop’s palace at the Diomondi church into an albergue with spaces for 33 pilgrims (not sure if this is the social distance number or the pre-covid number). A few people on the recent Invierno Zoom asked about it, so I did some hunting around.

The article from about a week ago tells us that the budget for this is ONE MILLION euros (this after how many euros and how many years of restoration of that same bishop’s palace? — 200,000 euros according to this article). There will be a kitchen, but if it’s a typical Galician albergue kitchen it will have nothing that can’t be bolted down, so there will be a stove, refrigerator, microwave, maybe but nothing like plates, glasses, cookware, etc. I don’t mean to sound like a know-it-all, but I think that with five grants of 200,000 euros to individual entrepreneurs to establish private albergues, we’d get a lot more bang for the Invierno pilgrim.

As a recent Invierno pilgrim, I am delighted with this decision, although I suspect that the cost of the renovations may not guarantee faithfulness to the characteristics of the historic building which is being renovated. Although a slow walker, I managed to find my way through this interesting and sometimes challenging route without Xunta albergues to rely on, and with relatively few albergues of any sort. I see the church at Diomondi as the most interesting historical building of the route and hope that the attached bishop's palace can be renovated to become a very special location for the pilgrims who will stay there in the future.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back