• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two more days and we go

grilly

My husband and I will be flying to Madrid on Wednesday, take a train to Sevilla on Thursday, and start walking on Saturday, a day of thunder storms Google says. It should be a cooler then. We are planning on starting slowly, spending with some time in Itálica.
My pack is still too heavy :) Two days to lighten it up...
Blessings to all walking a Camino at this time.
Life is great!
¡Buen Camino!
claire

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You and I will be trampling the earth in Spain together Claire - but in different regions of Spain! I wish you and yours a wonderful pilgrimage, friendly peregrinos, warm hospitaleros, stunning scenery, mild weather and a heartfelt 'reunion' with the apostle!
Buen camino!

sillydoll said:
You and I will be trampling the earth in Spain together Claire - but in different regions of Spain! I wish you and yours a wonderful pilgrimage, friendly peregrinos, warm hospitaleros, stunning scenery, mild weather and a heartfelt 'reunion' with the apostle!
Buen camino!

Thank you, Sil! I wish you just the same... Too bad we will not reach Santiago at the same time!
Buen Camino!
claire

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow, Claire, you must be reaching that pre-Camino fever pitch! Safe travels, and enjoy every minute. Can't wait to hear from you as you go.

Sending lots of wishes for cool temperatures, buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Claire.
Italica was great. Instead of staying two nights in Sevilla I stayed one night in Santiponce at Hotel Amfiteatro Romano with nice, clean and cheap rooms, and could then use a lot of time at Italica, teatro romano and Convent San Isidor. Enjoyed it very much. Sevilla was a bit too crowdy for me in the week after easter and I had been there before. I then got two short walkingdays in the start.
Buen camino!
Randi

Thank you tam, John, Laurie and Randy :)
Thanks to your information, I'm looking even more forward to Itálica :)
I brought my backpack down to 5.8 ks. Add water...
Two more kgs or so will be sent to Salamanca for the fall weather.
This is is getting very exciting!

claire

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A few notes for you:

For me, Italica was worth a half day's visit before you start walking!
We got lucky and followed an American history class whose professor was very interesting.

Buses leave every hour for Italica from the bus station in Sevilla.
You don't need a ticket - just pay the driver.
Seems like it was under 1,50 Euro
The buses leave from the underground area
Coming back you just stand at the bus-stop across the street from where you are left off.
There is a nice bar across the street from Italica where you can get coffee and/or lunch.
Also nice shady places for a picnic if you prefer to take your own.

There is a nice bar in Guillena. If they offer caracollas, try them! You won't be sorry!

There is internet access at Castiblanco below the albergue. But it has odd hours, so if you need to use a computer, I suggest you catch them if they're open and don't wait. You can let yourself into the albergue. A man will come by later to get your money. Across the street is a bar where you can get a nice pilgrim's meal. The lady has a bird on her shoulder. The goat is great!

Midway through the Finca, there is an abandoned guest house with a large tile patio. We slept out under the stars there and it was lovely! If you run out of water, the firemen there will help you.

The bar at Almaden is the only place I've ever been cheated. Beware.

I also really enjoyed the little hobbit hole albergue at Real de la Jara. Get the keys in town at the piscina (swimming pool)

Cafeteria DP in Monesterio has a wonderful Pilgrim's meal.
There is also a good Hostal Extremadura with AIR CONDITIONING at the far side of town which is about half of what you pay for the one as you enter town.

Between Monesterio and Fuente de Campos you will cross a dry creekbed. On the other side and up to the left is a small farm. The man there is very nice. If you are desperate for water, he will help you and enjoy your company for a cool rest in his home.

I wish you all the luck in the world.
Please take plenty of water - it is BRUTALLY hot on the VDLP this time of year.
We only made it about 10 days and had to change our plans.
I'm hoping to finish the route this coming Fall.

The scenery is grand!
Buen Camino!

Go well and safely, Claire.

Buen camino to you and your husband!

L

Anniesantiago said:
A few notes for you:
I wish you all the luck in the world.
Please take plenty of water - it is BRUTALLY hot on the VDLP this time of year.
We only made it about 10 days and had to change our plans.
I'm hoping to finish the route this coming Fall.

The scenery is grand!
Buen Camino!

Laurie, thank you for the added information. I will be adding it to my 'Laurie's page' with albergues, pensions, and internet access :) I like the idea of sleeping under the stars...

I realize the heat will be part of the challenge and we'll see how we survive this. We had four or five such days in 2005 in Southern France, with stages of 34 kms as well. Somehow we did not doubt we could do it. Today, I feel a bit daunted at the idea... I remember visiting the Taj Mahal in June years ago with a temperature of 46 degrees C. We could not stop drinking. ... We may have to change our plans as well...

I have found out that there is a Pilgrims' Mass at 8:30 am in the Royal Chapel of the Cathedral in Sevilla. We need all the blessings we can get :)

We are flying out of Geneva early tomorrow morning, will be spending a little over a day in Madrid and then take a train to Sevilla. We'll be starting to walk on Saturday.

Thank you again, Laurie, for all the fabulous information you give here.
Thank you, Lynne, for your good wishes.

Bye :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Claire, quick clarification -- I don't want to take credit for all of Anniesantiago's great information, I have to confess I have NEVER slept outside under the stars. Annie is much more adventurous than I am. When the albergue hits a certain level (low), I bail out and head for the pension. I am plain and simple a wimp, I only walk in spring or fall, and can't imagine how Annie walked the Vdlp in the temps she posted here.

Oh to be setting forth to start a camino, any camino tomorrow, I am happy for you, but wish I could be doing the same thing! Abrazos, Laurie

Hi Claire,

First off I want to apologize for not responding to your PM as I have been "off the map" as they say for the last 2 weeks. I was transferred to rehab last Monday and got my stitches out on Tuesday. I am allowed to put about 20 kg. of weight on my right leg. Next week I can start with my left so for the time being I am training my upper body and can sit 4 x 1,5 hrs per day in my wheelchair.

Sorry for the digression so just a note on the above comments (based on my Camino starting in July from Sevilla-Montamarte):

I visited Itálica on my way to Guillena, there is no need to take an extra trip. Since the first stage is quite short, I just stopped for an hour (I thought sufficient) on my way there. After my visit I had a cafe con leche at the bar across the street. I didn't see a soul on that first day and no one was there when I got to Guillena. TAKE NOTE: if the auberge is closed when you arrive, go into the cafe underneath the aubergue (there are 2 tables and chairs outside). The owner is quite friendly and said that I could leave my backpack in the bar if I wanted.

Manolo the hospitalero and local opened up the auberge around 3 p.m. The note outside said 4 p.m. but when I got back from walking around it was already open. There were 7 of us the first night. Javier a Spanish guy from the Canary Islands (and unfortunately had to rest a few days in Almadén de la Plata due to bad blood blisters), a Spanish speaking Belgian who lives in Spain (who had to give up within a few days due to the heat/distances), Manolo and Mercedes a Spanish couple from Analucia who became friends during the intial stages of the walk (but fast forwarded cause had already done parts of the VdlP) G. a Spanish speaking Italian doing his third Camino and myself - also Spanish speaking. G. would be my walking buddy for the next three weeks but that is another topic!

NOTE: Hotel Extremadura DID NOT have airconditioning when I was there begining July. The walk to Real de la Jara is only 16 km and we arrived there at 10 a.m. so we took a break then moved on to Monesterio. That was a HORROR of a day because it was SO HOT during the last ascent into Monesterio (long but doable). Advice: drink frequently and eat small amounts of dried fruit or the like during the walk from La Jara to Monesterio. I ended up dragging behind a ways before the start of the ascent and had to rest for about 45 min under a highway underpass to get out of the heat, eat and drink. I did that again another 2x. But don't be afraid!!! This never happened again during the Camino! I just couldn't eat much of anything those first few days due to the heat and the man with the hammer took a liking to me!

As I am now more mobile (moving around in the wheelchair) I am also able to e-mail and log on here frequently. PLS PM or post here if you need any quick info. (I can also PM you my phone number). I PROMISE that I will log in several times today and the following days should you need any moral support!!!

Wishing you an incredible, wonderful, insightful Camino-experienced full VdlP! Whatever the Camino throws at you or entices you to follow you will be able to handle. I am a firm believer that there is a reason for all that happens. I could write books about my aborted VdlP and my hospitalization in Spain and subsequent hospitalization, surgery and rehap in The Netherlands. But it was in spite of or rather because what happened that I look back at an incredible 3 weeks on the VdlP.

And just for a fun note: I have daily contact through e-mail, sms and phone with my Camino buddy G. and is coming to visit me in September!

VAYA CON DIOS Y BUEN CAMINO!

Cheers,
Lee

Enjoy the journey, and God bless you.

Just reading the well wishes for you makes me feel
a longing to do the VdlP again. Such a marvelous experience.

Ultreia,
David, Victoria, Canada

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.