• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two more holiday weekends coming up - plan accordingly

klimmo

Time of past OR future Camino
Mozarabe: nov ‘19
Português coastal: oct-nov ‘21
Hi,

Just to remind some overseas people that in most countries in Europe we have quite a few holidays in spring (april/may) and that two are still coming up:

The first is the ascension weekend from Thursday 18th to Sunday 21 May
And the Pentecote (sorry only know the name in French) from Saturday 27 to Monday 29 May

A lot of people will take the week in between off from work as you'll have 12 days off by only taking 4 (or 5 depending if the 19th is given as a holiday).

I work in tourism in Switzerland and we definitely see an uptick in bookings for these weekends, as a first teaser of summer that will start at the end of June and goes through August.

No fear! Just knowledge to be able to plan accordingly!

For future planning, the spring holidays in most of Europe are: Good Friday, Easter, Ascension, Pentecote, 1 May. The dates will differ per year! As it depends on the first full moon after the spring equinox.

Buen camino

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Add to that list the various school holidays that rotate on the calendar so that all schools are not out at the same time in France and you have lots of people out and about on hikes, etc.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Combining Ascension Day and Pentecost was my favorite when I still had an office job. Also the perfect time of the year for hiking in most European countries. 😊

Yes! Love the spring, with the snowline going up, and the explosion of flowers and green everywhere. It makes me so happy!

It’s always good to keep in mind that while there can be an infinite number of pilgrims, there is typically a finite number of beds. Medieval pilgrims knew that.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am planning my September/October hike. Are there any important holidays during that period that could be make things crowded? Thanks!

Apart from the fiestas there are a few national holidays. But these are more national than European. And apart from shops being closed they are less of a big thing than the spring long weekends where the whole of Europe is off at the same time and thus more likely to travel.

In France: All Saints (1 nov); Armistice Day (11 nov)
In Spain: National Day (12 oct) ; All Saints (1 nov); Constitution Day (6 dec)
In Portugal: Republic Day (5 oct); All Saints (1 nov); Independance Day (1 dec)

Add to these the holidays of the different Spanish regions (this is less the case in France).

There are also one or two week autumn school holidays depending on country and/or region.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Please remember that while a lot of national holidays are linked to a specific date, this is not the case for the whole Good Friday to Pentecote weekends.

Easter is calculated as the first sunday after the full moon on or after the spring equinox. Some years they fall earlier or later. In 2024 Easter will be the weekend of April 9 and in 2025 even earlier on March 31. The other holidays then follow; Ascension is 40 days after Easter and Pentecote is 10 days later.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.