• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two nights in St Jean Pied de Port...accommodation

caminoforme86

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances October 2013 - December 2013
I understand most if not all of the albergues along the Camino let you stay for one night and have to leave by 8am the following day.

Is this the same for the pilgrim accommodation in St Jean Pied de Port? I am arriving on the last train that gets in about 19:30 I want to see some of SJPDP so was going to stay two nights here and begin my Camino on the 31st October. But will I be able to stay in pilgrim accommodation for two nigths here?

Or the other question to go with this is will I manage to get everything done at the pilgrim office on the evening of the 29th October so I can start on the 30th? I am in no rush at all but just wondered the expense if unable to stay in Pilgrim accommodation in SJDPD.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
caminoforme86,

Generally pilgrims stay only one night in an albergue. Exceptions can be made for sickness or during dangerous storms. Most private albergues accept reservations and perhaps you might be able to reserve several days together. During the main 'season' ie until mid October it can be difficult to find any bunk for even a single night and by late October some albergues will start to close for winter. For albergues which accept reservations check this Eroski web >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergues/ . Click on each entry , then click again on the orange bar marked Ver ficha completa del albergue and look for Reserva de plaza en el albergue: Sí.

In Saint-Jean the office for the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle usually stays open for the arrival of the last train. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. They can provide you with a Credential and on site lodging assistance.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I stayed a couple of nights at Auberge du Pelerin in St Jean and can highly recommend it http://www.aubergedupelerin.com/

According to their web they close October 30. "Les réservations peuvent se faire à partir du 15 janvier de chaque année (l’auberge ouvre à la fin mars pour fermer le 30 octobre)"

Thus this might be a solution!

MM

Thanks again guys, just a quick question, as I am arriving on the last train and from previous posts people have said I will more than likely get a pilgrim bed when I arrive how much do these beds cost? Perhaps I will just need to reserve somewhere for my second night? Really don't want to arrive 8pm and leave by 8am without seeing SJPDP in the day time :) after all it will be the starting place of amazing memories and self discovery!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed a couple of nights at Auberge du Pelerin in St Jean and can highly recommend it http://www.aubergedupelerin.com/

Finding the online reservation quite a challenge! Does it ask if I want to buy a Crédentiale on site? And is there any need for the top sheets if you have your own sleeping bag?!

And all the other extras I am guessing can book once there?

As this www.aubergedupelerin.com/ is only open until the 30th of October and I need somewhere to stay on the 30th I guess I could stay here on the 29th and then go to the pilgrim office on the 30th and they will help me find a pilgrim hostel for my second night?

I am starting to feel I am getting stressed out trying to find somewhere to stay before I start my journey.

As this www.aubergedupelerin.com/ is only open until the 30th of October and I need somewhere to stay on the 30th I guess I could stay here on the 29th and then go to the pilgrim office on the 30th and they will help me find a pilgrim hostel for my second night?

I am starting to feel I am getting stressed out trying to find somewhere to stay before I start my journey.

Relax. I am quite sure that you WILL find a place. Email the auberge today to see if you can stay for the two nights that you wish. The closing date that I quoted might be from their page written last year! One never knows. If you can not stay for the dates that you wish either look online for another spot or wing it when you do arrive in SJPdP with the invaluable help from the Amis as mentioned above.

MM

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Relax. I am quite sure that you WILL find a place. Email the auberge today to see if you can stay for the two nights that you wish. The closing date that I quoted might be from their page written last year! One never knows. If you can not stay for the dates that you wish either look online for another spot or wing it when you do arrive in SJPdP with the invaluable help from the Amis as mentioned above.

MM

Have emailed them asking about two nights but if not I will go with the first night and then go to the office on the 30th and get help with a room for the second night! Just really dont want to travel all day from Paris, and then start out first thing in the morning without seeing St Jean Pied de Port.

I understand most if not all of the albergues along the Camino let you stay for one night and have to leave by 8am the following day.

Is this the same for the pilgrim accommodation in St Jean Pied de Port? I am arriving on the last train that gets in about 19:30 I want to see some of SJPDP so was going to stay two nights here and begin my Camino on the 31st October. But will I be able to stay in pilgrim accommodation for two nigths here?

Or the other question to go with this is will I manage to get everything done at the pilgrim office on the evening of the 29th October so I can start on the 30th? I am in no rush at all but just wondered the expense if unable to stay in Pilgrim accommodation in SJDPD.

You could always stay in a B&B. My husband and I stayed at Maison DonMaria before heading out. The owner was absolutely amazing and I truly wish we would've been able to stay more than one night. His place is a pleasant walk down the river from the actual city. Rooms were comfortable. I definitely recommend spending a day in St. Jean Pied de Port. I had dreamed of the city for years (we planned a failed attempt in 2008 due to work) so it was important to see and experience it. We arrived in the evening (around 1600) and left the following morning and I sadly felt time was too short. Buen Camino!

You could always stay in a B&B. My husband and I stayed at Maison DonMaria before heading out. The owner was absolutely amazing and I truly wish we would've been able to stay more than one night. His place is a pleasant walk down the river from the actual city. Rooms were comfortable. I definitely recommend spending a day in St. Jean Pied de Port. I had dreamed of the city for years (we planned a failed attempt in 2008 due to work) so it was important to see and experience it. We arrived in the evening (around 1600) and left the following morning and I sadly felt time was too short. Buen Camino!

Hey there,

I would love to be able to stay at a nice B+B, but on checking the prices I am not able to spend 60euro per night for a room, like many pilgrims I am on a budget, I have also been travelling for the past year, I am able to afford about up to 35-40 days on the Camino but with staying in Paris for two nights previous to going to SJPDP I have to find somewhere that allows for budget. But thank you for helping. Good to hear that you feel SJPDP is worth a day or so :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I checked the Auberge du Pelerin website before posting my original recommendation and am sure the closing date was listed as early November. Of course, I can't find that page again and apologise if I gave you incorrect information.

The Tourist Office gives the closing date for this gite as 31 October 2013. It's probably best to fill in the gite booking form and follow up with a phone call if you don't hear back from them within a reasonable time frame.

I actually rang them to make the booking. No one answered so I left a message and, to my surprise, they rang me back almost immediately. I was ringing from Australia and expected to have to make a follow-up call myself. As I speak some French, my original message was left in that language but there was no need as they speak English.

Apologies are indeed in order.

This is what I'd read on their website and, as you can see, it is outdated information. I'm very sorry for not having noticed sooner.

Bienvenue à l'Auberge du Pélerin
Attention L'auberge sera fermée à partir du trois novembre et rouvrira ses portes le 25 mars 2011

Hopefully the date on the Tourist Office website is correct.

Thank you so much Julie, I emailed them yesterday and they do have a bed for two nights taking me up to my departure date of 31st Oct!

So feeling so much more relaxed now!

Thank you and I look forward I staying with them!

K

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Your reservation is great news ! By the way November 1 is a public holiday
in both France (Toussaint) and Spain (Día de todos los Santos ). Many families travel during this time to pay homage to their dead relatives. Hence roads and transport may be extra busy; some businesses and services, but not all, will be closed. As always BE PREPARED with what you need!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Your reservation is great news ! By the way November 1 is a public holiday
in both France (Toussaint) and Spain (Día de todos los Santos ). Many families travel during this time to pay homage to their dead relatives. Hence roads and transport may be extra busy; some businesses and services, but not all, will be closed. As always BE PREPARED with what you need!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Margaret,

Yeah I had seen that, I will make sure I buy plenty food on 31st when I arrive in Roncesvalles for the morning of 1st Novwmber.

I am looking into right now buying the coil heater you have. I think on cold sharp mornings and evenings this would be of some comfort.

Thanks again
Kathryn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"....I will make sure I buy plenty food on 31st when I arrive in Roncesvalles for the morning of 1st Novwmber."

Kathryn,

Roncevalles is a monastery complex; there are NO food shops only a few vending machines and restaurants/bars.

The coil heater boils water for a hot drink and can be GREAT luxury when needed.

Buen Camino,

MM

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

MM

I wonder if anyone can answer my question. I want to stay in St Jean 2 nights, Saturday April 19 and Sunday April 20th. I have booked for L'Espirit du Chemin for the Saturday night. As they do not take bookings for Sundays I need to book at another hostel. Can I stay at two different pilgrim hostels on 2 consecutive nights? For example: L'Espirit du Chemin on Saturday night and L'Aud. du Pelerin on the Sunday night. I would appreciate comments on this.

Avenelite,

Since both places are private albergues there should be no harm in trying to make a reservation for the second night in a different place. However, April 20 is Easter Sunday and a VERY busy time for travel. Try to reserve ASAP.

MM

Avenelite,

Since both places are private albergues there should be no harm in trying to make a reservation for the second night in a different place. However, April 20 is Easter Sunday and a VERY busy time for travel. Try to reserve ASAP.

MM

Thanks MM for your prompt reply. I will take your advice on the understanding that if I can stay 2 nights at the one private albergue, I can stay in 2 different ones on consecutive nights.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back