• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two pensioners get ready

• Thread starter Former member 8162
  • Start date
F

Former member 8162

Hallo ,

To all the kind pilgrims that have shown concern for our welfare. We are going on a two day training exercise in Derbyshire, in readyness for our departure on March 11,which we hope will toughen us up.The problem of should we take winter sleeping bags or summer ones still divides us, Weight versus hypothermia is a moot point. Another little problem has occured ,our Knees are starting to hurt .This we think, is down to excitement !

Two Pensioners

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Go with the lightest sleeping bag you can find. The weight is crucial....nothing will bother you more and ruin your enjoyment more than weight.
Clolthes can be worn to sleep in if you were to encounter cold.
Get that pack weight down.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello

I think it depends what you mean by a summer bag? If you mean a silk liner which a lot of people use in summer my view is that it would be too early in the year for me to abandon my winter sleeping bag and rely on blankets - what do others think?

John

The problem of should we take winter sleeping bags or summer ones still divides us,

Have you already purchased your sleeping bags? If not, we purchased "3 season" sleeping bags each weighing about 48 ounces.

As for the knee issues, I too have had this problem. What really helps me is simple stretching the back of the knee/quadricep area, flexing the foot. I try to do this in the morning and before bed. Also, putting a bag of ice on the knee for 5-10 minutes helps me.

Hope to see you on the Camino!

Palmah

A light summer bag should be under 2#. Mine is 21.6 ounces (Lafuma from France good to 40 degrees F). My silk liner for summer weighs 4.3 ounces and adds about 10 degrees of warmth. A three pound sleeping bag will be more than you need. After all, you are sleeping indoors, not out in a snow bank. Even in the fall/winter when the heat may not be abundant, albergues will be well above freezing! And is often repeated, they have blankets AND you can wear your long underwear and clothes when necessary.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
smashmonk said:
Hallo ,

............ Another little problem has occured ,our Knees are starting to hurt .This we think, is down to excitement !

Two Pensioners
As 2 more pensioners we sympathise with the knees hurting sometimes. 'Just in case' we have a tubi-grip each (Boots or Lloyds Chemists and they will advise re the correct fit) We cut one in two pieces not quite even. The longer one makes a full knee cover/support folded over per instructions. The shorter should fold into 3 and can be worn just under the knee as a support. Use whichever seems to help most. Terry favours the over knee support and I am better with the under knee style. Cheap, and easy to carry if you are not wearing it.
Have a wonderful Camino
Terry and Valerie

My first Camino was on the Frances, March + April 2007 and I was very very cold many nights. With the number of pilgrims expected this year you cannot rely on always finding a blanket available and some albergues are darn cold! Please consider taking more than just a summer bag... being cold is the worst!

Thank you,

A decision has been made, the winter bags win. Sadly we have been told we are unable to attempt the Route Napoleon ,as the passes are all snowed in. A little dissapointing as we had set our hearts on achieving this moral boosting route. The doctor would like to see me tomorrow to discuss the x ray on my knee, we leave the day after! I hope he gives me the all clear as I shall look pretty silly sitting at home with all my gear and nowhere to go. My partner however is upbeat despite her bad hip.

Two Pensioners

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah, I'm so sorry for this awful situation you're in. :| Hopefully you soon will be in good shape and the snow will leave and you can still walk your camino very soon!

Take good care.

lynne

smashmonk said:
Thank you,

A decision has been made, the winter bags win. Sadly we have been told we are unable to attempt the Route Napoleon ,as the passes are all snowed in. A little dissapointing as we had set our hearts on achieving this moral boosting route. The doctor would like to see me tomorrow to discuss the x ray on my knee, we leave the day after! I hope he gives me the all clear as I shall look pretty silly sitting at home with all my gear and nowhere to go. My partner however is upbeat despite her bad hip.

Two Pensioners
I am curious as to where you got the information on the pass being closed. I am not aware of a source other than the Pilgrim office in SJPP.....and that would just be for the current day or so. Your information seems to be several days in advance.

I will be leaving SJPP on the 13th or 14th and am planning on taking the upper path unless the weather precludes this.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello, the 2 of you!!!

I wish you ALL THE BEST for your Camino.
Just find your own rhythm, don't get stressed by anything or anyone.
I have still some years to work before me, but I already have a hip and knee frailty.
And I did it. So can you!
I just put from Puente la Reina onwards - that is pretty at the beginning - some elastic knee bandages every day without exception, which was really helpful; and when descending hills or mountains, I made pretty short steps.
And I had a walking stick helpful as well especially for descents.

The warm sleeping bags are the right decision, if you cannot sleep because you are cold, how could you manage to do all the Camino.

And as to the Napoleon road : well I absolutely wanted to do it, and I did it. But it was so cold, rainy and FOGGY, I didn't see anything of the landscapes... It was just ridiculous to insist. ;)

So : BLESSINGS, I cross fingers for you, that the doctor will just give some good advice how to be careful with your bones...

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back