• Some parts of the forum are not loading as they should. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

LIVE from the Camino Two peregrinas on the catalan

peregrina2000

Staff member
So, LTfit and I met up in Montserrat last Saturday, and we have been walking the Camino Catalan for the last five days. I had walked 8 or 9 days from the northern coast, and LT had two killer days from Barcelona. And on Saturday night we finally met in person after years together on the forum.

We have not killed each other yet. In fact I would hazard the opinion that we are getting along great. I am so thankful that we're together because to tell you the truth, this is not one of the more spectacular Caminos I have walked. So far the terrain is pleasant, mostly agricultural, lots of fruit and grain fields. And wonderfully, the camino is only very rarely on asphalt. But having company has made it very fun.

We've been able to stay in albergues every night, and the pilgrim infrastructure is very good. We left Catalunya today and are now in a Catalan-speaking part of Aragon.

We have three days to Huesca. We are going to try a long day tomorrow so that we can saunter in on Sunday morning to see the sights. I have my fingers crossed that I will make it, but as Ender tells me it's just a question of being able to "mentalizarme."

We have been told that today we would enter the "pre-Pyrenees." As I told LT, if this is pre-Pyrenees, then Champaign, Illinois is pre-Rockies.

We are in Tamarite de Litera in a free albergue in an old school building. Two pilgrims(us) in one room and a bunch of Spanish archaeologists in the other rooms. Buen Camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So, LTfit and I met up in Montserrat last Saturday, and we have been walking the Camino Catalan for the last five days. I had walked 8 or 9 days from the northern coast, and LT had two killer days from Barcelona. And on Saturday night we finally met in person after years together on the forum.

We have not killed each other yet. In fact I would hazard the opinion that we are getting along great. I am so thankful that we're together because to tell you the truth, this is not one of the more spectacular Caminos I have walked. So far the terrain is pleasant, mostly agricultural, lots of fruit and grain fields. And wonderfully, the camino is only very rarely on asphalt. But having company has made it very fun.

We've been able to stay in albergues every night, and the pilgrim infrastructure is very good. We left Catalunya today and are now in a Catalan-speaking part of Aragon.

We have three days to Huesca. We are going to try a long day tomorrow so that we can saunter in on Sunday morning to see the sights. I have my fingers crossed that I will make it, but as Ender tells me it's just a question of being able to "mentalizarme."

We have been told that today we would enter the "pre-Pyrenees." As I told LT, if this is pre-Pyrenees, then Champaign, Illinois is pre-Rockies.

We are in Tamarite de Litera in a free albergue in an old school building. Two pilgrims(us) in one room and a bunch of Spanish archaeologists in the other rooms. Buen Camino, Laurie
Keep on going you both. Keep the courage !you are doing well

Molts regats
Albertinho

Since you are in a catalan speaking place, I'll wish you a Bon Camí!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bummer. I didn't know you were on that route. I would have suggested detouring down to Verdu from Tarrega before angling back towards Palau d'Angelsola. It's a very nice walk compared to other parts of the Catalan, marked with the (backwards) orange Ignaciano arrows and not far from your path. Verdu is a fantastic town and the albergue is in St. Peter Claver's house.

The most spectacular is just around Loarre. You could bottle that and sell it at least I thought so!
Have a nice way:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Love hearing your enthusiasm. Please keep telli g us about your experience.

Hi guys and thanks for the encouragement. Today a long stage (self-inflicted 40.1 km) since we want a short stage into Huesca on Sunday.
Thus far imho Aragón countryside more interesting than first days out of Monserrat.

Enjoy your Camino, you mentioned the pre- Pyrénées, some day you should do all or par tof the French g10 coast to coast Pyrénées, truly amazing, but tough.
Dermot

€83,-
Perigrina2000,
Off topic, just want to let you know that your Primitivo notes helped make my own Primitivo a great Camino:D
Buen Camino

Hi,
Buen Camino, I am looking at doing my third Camino in 2016 and start from Montserrat and join the CF at Longrono but finding maps and details in English is hard do you have any links that I could use please.
Safe trip Trevor

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We will post lots of info when we are home. Today in Huesca. Marking is generally excellent, it's just the scenery and towns that are lacking in charm.

We have three days to the Aragonés and people keep telling us the scenery will improve. We have stayed only in albergues since Montserrat. In fact this camino would be challenging for those who don't want albergues.

Buen camino, Laurie.

Will enjoy following this thread as we leave Santiago! Enjoy!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We have stayed only in albergues since Montserrat. In fact this camino would be challenging for those who don't want albergues.
??? Challenging??? Between Logroño and Montserrat (walking in reverse on the Ignaciano) we stayed almost exclusively in pensions, hostals, casa rurals, and hotels - spoiled as we were. It looked to me to be more of a challenge to find albergues!

€83,-
Hola, Laurie & Lee!

I follow your Camino through blog but can't post there from my smartphone. So this is the way I wish you Buen Camino and not as high temperatures we are getting here on Levante in couple of days - 40+℃...

Ultreia!

Hi all,
Wish I could post pictures from my phone since today was just AMAZING! We are now in a town of 11 inhabitants just 4 km from San Juan de la Peña. We went up by car late this afternoon to visit the monestery and walked back down to Botaya. Tomorrow we will climb up as good pilgrims and continue on to Santa Cicila. We will them make our way to Somport to start the Aragonés.

You are right @Castilian the best part for last. We only had to wait 12 days ;) - at least for me coming from Barcelona.

@KinkyOne :definitely cooler here but lots of sun. Buen Camino, we wish you were here.
Cheers,
LT

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Today we walked up to San Juan de la Peña and down to the Aragones. Since we had already visited the monastery, we could just keep walking. The way down from San Juan to Santa Cruz de la Seros is Very Rocky. From there to our intersection with the Aragonés was two more hours and then there we were in Santa Cilia de Jaca. It was about 10:30 and we knew there was a bus at 5 pm that would take us up to Somport to start the Aragonés. So what to do?

We tried hitching for a while, no luck. Then we went into Santa Cilia and flagged down the first car that passed by. We explained our situation, and he drove us up to Somport!! We were very lucky and we got a running commentary on what we were passing.

So by noon we were at the pass, and decided to walk down to Canfranc Station, about 8 BEAUTIFUL off- road kms. We're in an albergue here. Tomorrow Jaca!

We are now in the lovely donativo albergue of Arres. Yesterday was Jaca's patron, Santa Orosia,so all was closed except for the bars.

Municipal albergue only opens at 3 so we went to the privado. One euro more for a double room, clean sheets, and towels.

Very nice walk today. The camino is near the national highway but they have done an excellent job of keeping you either next to the river or on a hillside.

Heat wave is here. We will be leaving around 6 for the foreseeable future. LT doesn't mind the heat but I wilt.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are now in the lovely donativo albergue of Arres. Yesterday was Jaca's patron, Santa Orosia,so all was closed except for the bars.

Municipal albergue only opens at 3 so we went to the privado. One euro more for a double room, clean sheets, and towels.

Very nice walk today. The camino is near the national highway but they have done an excellent job of keeping you either next to the river or on a hillside.

Heat wave is here. We will be leaving around 6 for the foreseeable future. LT doesn't mind the heat but I wilt.
Make sure to walk up to the top of the hill to the benches near the bar and watch the sunset. It is spectacular from there.

We will post lots of info when we are home. Today in Huesca. Marking is generally excellent, it's just the scenery and towns that are lacking in charm.

We have three days to the Aragonés and people keep telling us the scenery will improve. We have stayed only in albergues since Montserrat. In fact this camino would be challenging for those who don't want albergues.

Buen camino, Laurie.
Love your post as I am off in Sept 2016 and I have chosen this route to follow as I need some quiet time as each pilgrim seems to get more crowded than the previous and I love Barcelona so I can fly into there instead of Paris from Oz. Any detail on Albergues will be much appreciated. Buen Camino

Back