• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two pilgrims rescued in Valcarlos

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was told by one of the Volunteers at the SJPDP Office of Pilgrims that every year during the winter time either somebody dies or comes close to it on the Pyrenaic zone. Sudden and extreme temperature drops are common in the winter. Honestly, this sound more like 2 young and foolish tourists than 2 young and informed pilgrims. If they called around 4pm from the Fountain of Roldan that meant they could had make it to Orisson and STAYED there. I crossed in late May and saw snow on the ground; can't even imagine attempting it on January :shock:

Same persons, but more of them?
Five Koreans lost on the Camino de Santiago
"If it becomes the refuge would have been buried in the snow, dead"

01/24/13 | 21:01 h. Noticias Cuatro |

Spain always thought that it was sunny. So these pilgrims Koreans came to do the Camino de Santiago with an impractical clothing for walking, especially in winter. Unsuspecting, but very clever in survival methods they used to be stuck in the snow.

"We had very cold, we take on coffee in the snow and ate it"

They were five and only had three sacks against the cold, nothing beats the heat humano.Tras six hours of search they found. They had spent the night in a shelter built by firefighters for mountaineers. There they discovered a station connected to the 112 and called. With the help of a neighbor's tractor to Orbaiceta fell the hardest and then walked to the shelter of Roncesvalles unharmed after nine hours of rescue.

TOTAL: They are not aware of the risk they ran ... If it becomes the refuge would have been buried in the snow, dead, and a pilgrim would have found "...

Oblivious to the danger, continued the road today ... breathe ... but tonight, food and warm bed are insured. WELCOME REFUGE ENTERING.
http://www.cuatro.com/noticias/sociedad ... 55176.html

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Are we moving towards the time for a new Compostela? A posthumous Darwin Award Compostela? :shock:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
David said:
Are we moving towards the time for a new Compostela? A posthumous Darwin Award Compostela? :shock:
I love your posts! :D Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There is, perhaps predictably, a lively discussion on the Spanish forum I frequent, with people weighing in on the folly of these young pilgrims. Since both of these rescues involved Korean pilgrims, some of the comments tend towards racial generalizing and stereotyping to say it mildly, others may find the comments to go beyond that and into the unacceptable realm.

http://fsvr1.ibdinternet.com/read.php?6 ... msg-333257

But one of the good points that was made here is that all of these valiant rescues come at great cost to the Spanish government. Surely it is true that the camino brings revenues into Spain, but it seems that the cost of a helicopter rescue or the overtime pay of six firefighters who trek for hours to find some pilgrims lost in the mountains goes beyond any reasonable expectation of what we have "paid for."

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back